Cotton Blossom

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Melinda watched Wes's back as he exited the room... she was sure that she had never heard him speak to much. The young woman figured that he was both fond of Evangeline, seen easily in his gentle actions towards him, and nervous about being caught. Melinda was certainly no stupid or foolish woman and could merely guess what was happening; the flush in Evangeline's cheeks said enough, anyways. Her lips were a little red, slightly pursed, as though sitll getting used to the warm kisses she had received.
Melinda smiled warmly; she was glad that Wes was around, even if whatever they were doing was both wrong and forbidden. He seemed to truly be helping her heal, emotionally anyways, and that would be harder than healing her wounds. She always had faith in the man and believed that he would do good for her sister-in-law.

For a long while, Melinda just sat in silence with Eva, stroking her hair and soothing her with kind touches. She had faith that the young woman would recover, but feared that Tim would only break her again.

After staying by her side for awhile and trying to get her to drink a little more fluid - she looked very thin, and needed some nourishment - Melinda smiled and said, "he really enjoys your company, you know. Stayed with you the entire night when you were asleep, watching and waiting..." She was getting a little starry eyed. Melinda was several years older than Wes but felt very strongly towards him. He was like a brother, best friend and husband all rolled into one.
"I like him very much, as well," Eva said quietly. It was clear that she was guarding her words.
Melinda brought the cup back up to her lips and smiled, nodding her head. Despite the wounds she had endured, Eva did look quite a bit more healthy... and Melinda felt as though Wes were to thank for that. She would be sure to draw his secrets out of him later, but did not want to hound Evangeline when she had just woken up.
Evangeline smiled, "he has done great things for me." And it was true - saved her from the forest, showed her another side of life she had never known existed.
Leaning down, Melinda kissed her forehead and helped her to lay back down, "and I imagine he will continue to, as well." Already the woman had ideas surfacing in her mind - still in the early stages, but plans nonetheless.

After Evangeline ate a bit, Melinda went downstairs with the empty tray, intent on getting some more juice.
When she found Wes down there, staring out the kitchen window and onto the property, she smiled. Melinda placed the tray down on the island counter and then approached, pressing a hand against his muscular shoulder. "You are a good man, Wes."

Chewing his lip, Wes seems to be staring off into his own little world. Those eyes of his may be focused on the grassy hills galloping their way towards the sentry of trees but his mind is far away. Locked away in his own thoughts, his ears do no pick up the small clank of the tray on the wooden table. It's her fingers curling around his shoulder that kickstarts his mind again. Blinking, he hardly remembers what he was thinking about. Leaning an arm against the casting of the cherry red wood, his skin nearly blends in for the warm rays of the sun have made the deep red turn softer.

"You seem to be the only one who has such thoughts. You and Bethany." Turning his head to her, she can see his lips curve up into a sweet smile. She knows well that he enjoys her company the most when visiting this museum of his past. "And I am grateful for all you two have done for me. Not to mention what you're doing for Evangeline." Looking back out the window, he waits for the silence to cloud over them. But unlike any other heart wrenching silence, Wes and Mel can sit for hours just enjoying life together. Speaking would ruin such bliss. She is truly his closest ally.

"I love you, Mel." Wes finally breathes, not feeling guilty for saying so. Their history together has allowed him to say such powerful words as a brother might say to his sister, not a man to his lover. Not like he would whisper to Evangeline. Looking down, he greets her smile but still manages to catch the look of tender scolding in her eyes. "What?" His voice lengthy, wanting to know what is exactly on her mind. And she, no doubt, will want to pry the answers out of Wes for her own questions. "You give me the strangest looks sometimes. I can't possibly understand what you're trying to say." Grinning, he adds, "Yeah, laugh all you want, Mel!" Giving her a tickle to the side, her sweetest spot.

Melinda giggled, her laughs echoing through the house as he tickled her. Being an only child to a widowed mother, Melinda had always pined for siblings and Wes was like the brother she had always wanted. He had protected her years ago when she had been stopped by a band of drunks, and he had kissed her cheek dotingly on her wedding day. She knew that he would do good for Evangeline no matter where fate seemed to take them. Her eyes twinkled with mischief when he finally removed his hands and pulled her into a gentle, soft hug. She would trust this man with her very life, and thus believed he could enrich Eva's, as well.
She just wasn't sure when was the proper time to hatch her plan. She knew that she should probably talk to Bethany about it, and even her husband if she was daring enough.

Reaching up, the young woman tapped his nose and then laughed. Despite the fact that he was so different from her, bronzed skin and a muscular figure, she felt a special family bond with him. "You cannot keep secrets from you, you know!' she grinned.
Suddenly her face became a bit more serious, and she bit the side of her lip. She merely wanted her brother and sister-in-law to be happy, and Tim to rot in hell, where he belonged. She knew that the latter was more likely, but pined for that more, anyways.
Cupping his face in between her hands, Melinda said, "I know that you can make her happy, Wesinaco. Evangeline is a precious girl and deserves the treatment that only a man like you can give her. And whether you want to admit it to me or not, I know you want to be that person in her life." Leaning in, she kissed his cheek, "And I'm going to try my best to ensure that we all come out of this on the right side."

With that she removed herself from his arms and went into the washing room. She filled up a bucket of warm water, even scented it with rose oil to make Evangeline feel a little more feminine. She went upstairs and began to wash the young woman, from her feet to her head. She frowned at the deep gashes in her abdomen and chest, but also felt her heart grow aloof, noting the tiny love marks on such similar places. It was the clash between Heaven and Hell, wrong and right. And as she had promised, Melinda wanted to ensure that they all came out on the appropriate ends of it.

Wes waits for her to fill the bucket with the rose water, the smell of the water covering the hallway. Before she moves upstairs, he takes her by her shoulders and pins her to the staircase wall. It's not in a demanding gesture, just one of wishing to speak his mind without her running away. Wes is well aware that she respects him enough to stay and hear his words out, yet he just wishes to make sure. He is always double checking himself when it comes to talking about something so -personal-. He may have been silent before when she spoke but now he will voice his opinion as a man should.

"I hope I can make her happy." Is all he says, stroking the side of her face with his palm, "Just as your husband makes you happy. You see, I would love to just take her far away from here. It would be the perfect getaway for I know the way of the bear, strong and smart. The way of the gray mountain lion who has courage and knows his way well around the mountains." stopping himself from giving a lecture, Wes pauses, returning her kiss to her own cheek. "What I want to know is that you'll help me, help us..." his gaze flickers to the top of the staircase, "No matter what." bringing her into a hug, he is sure not to disturb the bucket at her side. "I have just never felt this way before. It's strange.. outlandish. Yet. These feelings are all true and they're all mine."

Letting Mel tend to Evangeline, Wes moves outside to be in his element. His normal escape when he is troubled. The man seemed worried that he wouldn't be able to protect Eva once Tim comes home. Once they're married. Every day that monster grows closer to having Eva and doing with her what he likes. Bethany, tending to the garden out back, comes inside and arranges the picked vegetables on the wooden counter. Washing her hands until they're nearly pink, she smiles and greets Mel when she comes huffing through the door. Taking care of Eva takes so much time and effort but every moment is worth it.

"Everything alright, dear?" She asks, moving over to the sink as she starts to wash off the dirt from the peas, broccoli, and tomatoes. On the table lies a whole bunch more of assorted fruits and vegetables.

Reactions: Summer Rain
Melinda and Bethany had been close since the beginning; when Bethany had first been engaged to Michael, the two of them would go out shopping into town together, and it was there that they became good friends. Since then they acted more like true sisters, always gaggling and gossiping, and of course sharing their secrets. Bethany could already see the emotions raging on behind Mel's eyes, and she scrubbed at a tomato before turning and looking serious at her. She knew that Eva's predicament deeply bothered her, as it did them all... but it seemed to be taking quite the toll.

"I spoke with Wes," she murmured, coming to stand at the corner. After washing her own hands she began to help her sister in washing the vegetables as well, removing the grime. They were known for making delicious soups and stews, which they sold in town, when the vegetables were ripe.
"About Evangeline?" Bethany asked softly.
Melinda nodded her head.
"What did he say? I know that he worries terribly about her as well. It is quite amazing, I think, since they barely seem to know one another." After all, it had been just a few weeks since they had first collided at the bottom of the staircase.
Melinda bit at her lip, a slight smile on her face. Despite the fact that her plan was a rather crazy one, she was glad that she had at least an idea to get Wes and Evangeline out of here. Neither of them deserved the trouble they were going through.

"You know," Melinda said softly, looking around to ensure that the man in question was not around, "I walked... when Evangeline first woke up... and well, Wes was in the bed with her."
"In the bed?" Bethany asked, side-glancing her sister-in-law.
Melinda nodded her slowly, "and not that I have seen a lot of women after a hot night, Beth... but, well... she looked like he had done more than just listen to her breathing and words, being so close."
Bethany raised a brow, "what do you think happened? Surely she would not let him...?"
"I don't know. But I do know... that Wes had deep feelings for her, and I suspect that Eva returns them. And in all honesty, Beth... I think he's her way out of this place. Out of Tim's hands. He loves her, I can see it in his eyes."

"Love?" Bethany breathes in disbelief, the word lodging itself in her throat. No matter how much she wants to believe those words, she collides with her more sensitive nature. "That... that's impossible." She breathes, nearly dropping the next handful of bright orange carrots. More than anything she wants Evangeline to be happy as well but falling in love with that Cheyenne man? And so soon? Bethany shakes her head at the thought. Chopping off the stem, she moves them to the side for compost.

"Are... are you sure Mel?" She is still in shock of having heard Wes actually slept in the bed with her. She trusts Wes but there is still a part of her that likes to sprout up and snap at Wes because of his background. Closing her eyes, she sees Wes forcing himself on Evangeline instead of Tim. What if that -is- a proper depiction? No... no. Blinking, she stares down at the knife in her hand, ready to cut the carrots.

"I just..." is all she can mutter, "Didn't think a love like theirs," she sighs, waving her hand in the air while he thinks, "needs time to mature. I'm not saying what you saw isn't a proper guess but what if Evangeline is just so distraught that her conscience needed the protection of a sweet and gentle man like Wes? I don't want our Wes to get hurt, Mel. Before we do -anything- to help or hurt them, god in heaven please let their love be honest and true," she looks up to the ceiling, "we just have to make sure that they do love one another and will be ready for the consequences. But, Tim will be gone for another week or two yet, yes? Perhaps once Evangeline recovers we can get her side of this story. I hope to the heavens that you aren't just seeing things you ought not to, Mel. A glance might just be a glance. It doesn't mean they're infatuated with one another."

Then she thinks about Wes being -in- the bed with Evangeline. After all that has happened, that poor girl, she let a man so close to her. The black and blues are still swelling, her face clearing day by day into a sickly yellow color. Still, Bethany is flabbergasted no matter what excuse she tries to make. The more she thinks, the clearer it becomes that they really are truly in love. A woman like her sticks to her guns. So they'll wait a week or a few days and try and gently ease Evangeline's true feelings out of her.

Melinda had never been the most patient of the wives. She nodded her head, agreeing with Bethany, though she really did not want to wait that long to figure out what Evangeline and Wes were feeling. She was both curious and protective of both of them, and doubted that a few days was going to change any feelings they had. Bethany had the right to believe that Evangeline might have just been going to Wes for comfort... but would it not make more sense for her to turn to someone she knew could not hurt her, such as the two of these women or their husbands? But no, she had turned to Wes, and Melinda was convinced that something had occurred out of their line of vision.

After helping Bethany cut up the vegetables, Melinda ventured outside to where Wes was standing. He was silent and still, like a true Cheyenne hunter.
Even if Beth seemed a little bit wary about the two of them being together, Melinda approved of their relationship... if there was one, that was. She knew that Evangeline was a sweet girl and Wes would never hurt her, as she would never bring harm to him. In a lot of ways they were similar - quiet but insightful, kind and caring. Melinda smiled at the thought of what their children might look like, and then hastily shook the thought away. She was certainly getting ahead of herself, and if this plan she was concocting did even work out, it was going to be a long and difficult process.

"Wes, honey," Melinda said softly, walking to stand beside him. She stared out into the line of trees and was disheartened that she did not see the beauty he did. As a child she had climbed them and swung from their branches, but never did she pay attention to each individual leaf, or the rich colours of the branches.
Turning to face him, Melinda cupped his muscular biceps and looked at him seriously in the eye, "I want you to listen me very carefully, okay, and do not speak until I am done." She sounded strong, motherly. One of the many ways she had put her husband in his place.
After taking a deep breath, Melinda smiled and said, "I know that you can do wonderful things for Eva, Wes... and I trust you a great deal. I... I know that we need to get Evangeline away from this place, and the sooner the better... the farther away she can go. But she needs someone to protect her, as well as legalities." She bit her lip and looked up into his eyes, "honey, if she marries someone else... Tim will not have any rights to her."

Wes simply nods, knowing not to cross Melinda whenever her eyes are as deep and serious as they are. He remembers a time when his mother would use the same tone of voice. Demanding and harsh yet there was always a glitter of endearment in her eyes. The words she spoke would flutter around you like an angry crow but once your heart has time to settle, the pieces all fall in place. A mother scolds her child to teach them a lesson or perhaps teach them a moral code thought highly of in society. They have to be tough if they're going to be heard. So, with a smirk, Wes gives her all the attention she desires.

The dumbfounded face of his, those lips lightly parted and brow raised quizzically, pastes itself on once Mel is half way though speaking. Taking in a deep breath, Wes looks back to the trees and then to the house. His natural habitat and the object of man's desire for a lofty shelter. Staring at the ground, his chin tucked into his chest, Wes' cheeks start to turn a bit red. It feel strange having Melinda speak so freely about Eva and his own future as if she were the magician making their love sprout up like a flower.

"What are you saying?" he asks rhetorically, "You're saying that if I marry Evangeline then..." his eyes pan back over to the house. It's nearly dusk, the sun singing its last goodbyes before retreating underneath the horizon. "She will be mine in the eyes of the law. Tim won't be able to come after her and beat her." shaking his head, he respects her attempt at a perfect future. "But, my good girl," his free hand coming to cup over hers, "no sane white man will marry a Cheyenne and a proper white woman. She may not have so much class but in the eyes of the law, she has enough to be considered delighted living standards. I want her more than anything but no white man in his proper mind would ever agree. Even with the proper money on the table." His heart sinks knowing that they're no closer to saving Evangeline from the fate of Tim.

Melinda bit her lip and shook her head slightly. She wished that the man would have more faith in her and the white people. Wes was indeed right when he said that the usual priest would not marry a Cheyenne and a white woman... but there was certainly people not as prejudice and cruel. With the help of her husband and Michael, Melinda imagined that they could find someone to marry the two of them. All they needed was a marriage certificate at the courthouse, after all.

Curling her hand over his cheek, Melinda smiled warmly at him. She had so much faith in this man, it was rather amazing. But the two women trusted Wes so much that they were willing to put their good friend, and a sweet woman, Evangeline, in his hands. Unlike his half brother, Melinda and Bethany knew that Wes would not lay an ill hand on her. He would give her the life that she deserved, the love that every woman vied for but rarely got.

"Surely there are people on your native land that can help us," she murmured, stroking his cheekbone and lovingly looking into his eyes. Her eyes were sparkling with excitement. "I would not worry about that. The most we are going to need to figure out... is for Evangeline to agree. I do not know what has gone on between you both, and nor do I want to know... but I doubt she will be willing to jump into courtship so quickly. For her own good, we have to convince her... it's the only way that we can save her, honey..." Removing her fingers from his cheek, Melinda gripped both of his hands and clasped them in her own. "I want you to make her happy, Wes, and I know that you... of all men, you can do. Make her happy, honey. Give her all the love you have, children, a home... I can see in your eyes, that you want that too."

Last edited:
"People on my native land?" Wes almost sounds appalled she would say such a thing. "And what do you think they'll be able to do? Tim will be Evangeline's in the eyes of your -white- courts. Not my native ones. No matter what my people may be able to do, it won't be enough for your court system to even think about turning their eyes. All they'll see is a Cheyenne name and they'll reject whatever papers we give them." his heart weighs his shoulders down as well as his chiseled jaw. His murky pools of green not giving her any satisfaction of his emotions for they too are cast down.

"I don't mean to sound so... drab." his chest fills with air, his eyes finally meeting hers. "I do want her and I would do anything for her happiness. Even if it means ending my own life so that she may live hers freely and without chaos." Smirking at himself, he listens to his own words rumble in his hears. Even he doesn't know why he is saying such a thing. "I know I have only just met her but ... a feeling this strong has never lifted me entirely off of my feet before. When... when I am with her," that daydream glow comes over his eyes, "I am weightless and without any worry. For those short or long moments, I am not just Wesinaco. I am -her- Wesinaco. Forever and always. And that makes the biggest difference in the world. She..." his throat grows dry, "She knows of my affections and I don't think we will need to convince her. But... how are we going to marry in such a prejudice run world?"

Releasing her hands, he sighs. "Should we go into town and do some searching? That might be best even though all of our conversations would have to be kept quiet. The last thing we want is for Tim to find out."

She was merely glad that Wes had not rejected the idea. After all, it was not everyday than a man was approached and asked to marry a woman that he barely knew. Melinda smiled though, listening to the emotions that Wes described so elegantly. Whether he had found the correct word for it or not, Melinda believed that they were truly in love. There was a certain look in their eyes when they were near one another, a radiant glow when the other's name was mentioned.
Melinda was almost envious... love like that often took months, even if years, to develop. When she and her husband had first been married she had not felt too strongly towards him. It was not until they were wed, lived together and shared closeness, that her affection and pure devotion to him began to develop. It certainly did not seem to take Evangeline and Wes longed... but perhaps it was a good sign, a love at friend sight that girls only read of in stories as children.

"Yes," she nodded her head, agreeing, "sooner that we get Eva out of here, the better. Of course... I know that is hard, since you do not have a home..." Melinda bit her lip. There was no way that she was going to let Timothy back into his house when Evangeline was still hurt and bound to her bed. "And if we cannot find someone immediately, that does not mean you can't just... take her away." She swallowed, rubbing at her forehead. She knew that her idea would be hard to implement but did they have any other options? Evangeline needed their help.

"We will find someone," she nodded her head resolutely, "whether we have to travel a hundred miles or not, we will find someone. There are half-Indian babies all over this country, surely some of their parents would be wed." Melinda bit her lip, not wanting to offend Wes. After all, he was a so-called 'half breed', the product of his father's affair with a Cheyenne.
With one last kiss on his cheek, Melinda murmured, "now, you go and take good care of her, honey. And yourself. You both need to stay strong in this."

Upstairs, Evangeline was turning a bit in her bed. Her limbs ached badly, but she was in fear that Tim would return. Though Bethany had assured her that he was on business, he tended to pop up when he so pleased. The thought of him having his hands on her again made her quiver; she could not face him again... surely she'd never resurface if she did.
Hearing the door open, Eva sat up a bit. She smiled faintly when Wes entered, and then asked, "is... is everything alright?"

"But their brother-in-laws weren't trying to practically kill the woman they love. Their brother-in-laws weren't beating the woman they love to a withered and tender piece of meat. Tim will kill her so we better start packing and journeying around the whole damn continent because no one will take us." Receiving the warm kiss on his cheek, Wes smiles slightly, liking the those small gestures Mel gives him. Whether its a kiss on the cheek, a tight embrace or even just a warm hand on his shoulder, he knows that she adores him. Any gesture she gives him, he will happily take and return tenfold.

Stepping into the room was the easy part. Having to tell Evangeline of their plan gives him goosebumps. All of a sudden he has trouble even thinking straight. Everything that has been discussed is just false hope. He cannot possibly bring her away from this place and not be found. But when he looks into her bright blue eyes, he can't help but smile. All the worries in the sea of his mind are washed up on shore. What is left are sweet and succulent memories. Both of his childhood and adulthood. As scarce as they might be, they are where he wishes to be. If he is to run away with Evangeline, that is where he will run off to. Every moment of every day he could stare into those eyes and see a reflection of what he used to be and what he is now.

"Hm?" Wes asks, already at the small bookshelf, his finger lightly browsing the titles offered. "Is everything alright?" He repeats, tipping some books in and out of their confines. "Yes, everything is just fine. Thought I would just see what you have here." glancing around at her, he simply nods before mumbling some of the titles aloud. "Would you like me to read you one?" frowning, he wishes he didn't ask for his words should be speaking of marriage and an opportunity of a lifetime. They should not rest on titles in Tim's collection. They're far too graphic for her - being of cowboys and indians (their constant fighting), railroad bandits and, by far Tim's favorite, the tales of the western cowboy.

Laying back down on the mattress, Evangeline turned on her side and watched Wes as he fiddled through the books, both large and small. Immediately she knew that was was, or would be, wrong... he had never taken an interest in them before, so why was he trying to find a diversion this time?
For awhile, Evangeline said nothing and merely just watched his muscular back. The thin material of his shirt stretched over his strong shoulders and wide back, and Evangeline merely admired him. He was a fine specimen, all masculine and male. She wanted so badly to reach out and touch him, to feel his skin underneath her fingertips again.

"I never liked any of those," Evangeline murmured. When she had first moved into this room she had scoured every inch of it to see what treasures it held. She had managed to find a few novels she enjoyed, perhaps left over by their mother before she moved across the state, but did not fancy the others. Reading was the last thing on her mind right now, anyways. She was sure that there was something keeping Wes away and the thought scared her. Did he regret touching her? Not think that the fighting with Tim, the constant need to protect her, was not worth her love? The thought of it clenched at her heart a bit, and Eva buried herself into her covers.

"Wes?" she whispered.
When he finally turned to regard her, she took her little hand out from the bedsheets and extended it to him. Her eyes was saddened, worried. Did he not love her, not want to be near her again?
Once Wes was sitting on the edge of the bed, Evangeline sat up a little farther, "what's wrong? Please tell me... I'm worried now." Her voice was small and soft, as though a mere child was speaking. She bit her lip and tried to catch his gaze.

"I have upset you, Evangeline. I have made you worry. For my sake, my dear, do not." Taking her hand in his large one, he brings it to his lips. The swelling from their shared kisses have long faded but perhaps his apprehensive heartbeat still makes them flush. Glowing warm against her hand, he has her wrap that arm around his neck. In return, he bows his head, wanting to tell her everything. All that comes out is him telling her not to trouble herself. Having her with a heavy head will only cause him to receive a heavy heart. He will be sinking and unable to give her all of his love. That, of course, wouldn't work.

"What is worrying you? Express yourself, Evangeline. Is it because I have been away for most of the day?" Raising his head from its shallow position, he closes his eyes, knowing that she will be able to see into his entire soul. "And I shall sit like a strong willow tree, un-swaying in the wind and listening to the sound of the songbirds. Both in the distance and those who burrow themselves a home within my notches. My knots." His body, as still as he says he will be, hardly even shakes when her hands touch him. More than anything he wants to break this spell and embrace her. Yet, he knows he should wait and listen. Think patiently. Then answer.

"And once you tell me what is worrying you, Eva. I shall inform you on what is troubling my mind. The rainstorm and it's wind that pushes every single thought of mine around. Only with time shall I be collected enough to tell you. So I ask that you sit and wait. Weighing your burden will help me weigh mine. It's not proper for me to dump a ton of clay upon you when you're giving me a pebble that is lighter than sand." And so he waits with his chin raised and green forests shielded.

All her life, even when she had lived under her parents care, Evangeline had always been shielded. When her Uncle had died in the war they had not told her the story of his death, and when the soldiers came to their door when she was ten her parents said it was just the mail man. She had never gone out to parks to play or joined in the dances that they held in the nearby city for young men and women.
And now even though it was her fate and life in danger she was still being protected. She was submissive, docile... And so people seemed to take it upon themselves to decide her choices for her and keep the most vital information from her ears.

Leaning in closer, Evangeline rested her head against Wes's forehead. She could see the anguish an the fight in his eyes... The need to tell her but the fear that was holding him back.
She ran her fingers through his hair dotingly,holding him close against her.
"I am afraid," she whispered her warm breath spreading across his face, smelling of mint tea and the crackers she had been nbbling on. Closing her eyes for a moment Evangeline took in a deep sigh... She had never been very good with words.

"I am very worried as I have many things to be worried about." Her heart was heavy and her smile had faded long ago. "Of course Tim will soon arrive back and I will be forced to go with him again, to sudmit to his every whim. But right now... I am merely worried what you all are concocting. I can see it in your eyes that you are hiding something... And that frightens me. I am always been left in the dark, and even when it is my own life at stake, I was still left behind. When will someone tell me what is happening? Where is Tim, what will he do?"

Last edited:
"Oh but that is the magic of it all." Comes his voice once hers dies down. "Sometimes it's better to be left in the dark. Knowing the truth, both of people and the world that we all live in, can really be a burden. It's why parents hide the truth from their children. Their babies. Their kin. In return, they are afraid for their child's safety and can only wish them a fruitful life of ... of being ignorant and blindfolded. The world and its secrets being withheld from girls much like you. Do not be angry at those men and women who have lied to you. They wished to protect you but in return, their protection failed to notice an expiration date. You're old enough now to know."

Breathing slightly in, he continues with his preaching, "There comes a time in everyones lives where the truth of the cold and dark world does come to surface and they have to keep those horrid thoughts in the back of their mind. Forever. And every moment they wish that they could just forget it. But once seen or heard, if important enough, the brain never forgets." Opening his eyes, he remembers the harshness of the white man against his people. His defenseless people. "I am one who has seen true darkness. And it's because of that very fact that I want to keep my mind from you." holding up his pointer finger, he reminds Evangeline very carefully, "I want to."

"So I will tell you what is on my mind in return for the verbose thoughts that have rushed from yours." His breath comes and goes, washing with it the grime of her worries, "Melinda has figured out our secret. What good news!" He leans up and kisses the side of her face, a small peck to her cheek. "Because she has agreed to help us. For Tim will return from his very, very, sudden business trip that had been arranged by John and Michael. They too know of the horrors Tim has done. What they don't know, is us. Melinda will keep our secret safe but I believe Bethany won't be too far behind with her assumptions. They will help us, Eva. They can give us time to run... time to be set free."

Wes spoke in such elaborate riddles, such elegant words, that sometimes Evangeline had to take a step back and try to figure out what he was saying. His words were so delicate and poetic against her ears, as though he was reading to her from a book rather than speaking his own mind. His voice was so soothing that the young woman could nearly fall asleep to his kind, gentle words.
Luckily, however, he soon answered her question. Evangeline, since she had been left in the dark all this time, was eager to hear his words. She knew that her sisters and this man were coming up with a plan, and her brows rose when he told her that Melinda knew of their relationship. Immediately her cheeks flushed; surely she did not know that he had touched her, right? Eva was mortified at the mere thought of it! It was one thing having everyone know that Tim had deflowered her... but Wes was kinder, much more careful. He brought her to special heights that only a man of his kind could do.

Reaching out, Evangeline stroked his cheel. Free. The word tinkled in her ears, a beacon of hope. Never had a word meant so much to her, but coming from Wes's mouth it made her heart soar. Did she truly have a way out, and no less with this wonderful man? Evangeline desperately wanted to know what he and Melinda were planning, but bit her lip, hoping that he would not simply tell her more riddles.

She touched his angular jaw, moving her fingertips to dance all the way down his neck, to his broad shoulders and muscular chest. "Where will we go?" she asked, her eyes widened naively. "Freedom is a beautiful thing... yet, it seems so far away. Even though Tim and I are not married, he still has rights to me as his wife-to-be. You nor Melinda can change that, unless you somehow manage to convince Tim not to want me anymore..." She began to run her fingertips along his cheekbones and the bridge of his nose, adorning his handsome face.

"Freedom is all I have ever wanted in this life. Perhaps, I think, I have not known what freedom was until I met you. A man can scour the entire forest looking for the one thing that brings him joy. Yet, it takes two to fall in love. True love. There is such a thing as falling for a woman from a distance or in return, that woman falling for a man from a distance. Yet, the beauty of love is when they both share that mutual bond. It's stronger than any contract drawn up by your white race."

Smiling sweetly, Wes leans close to her ear, parting the sea of gold that rests there. "You know, there is a way, Evangeline." Closing his eyes, he can literally feel the breath of hers stop, the small gasp cutting her supply off. "Yes, there is." tenderly, as he always is, Wes brings his lips against her neck, almost feeling the way her heart beats from the large artery that rests there. "And I bet you're dying to know what it is. But first," taking his lips off of her skin, he cups her healing face in his hands. "You'll have to kiss me or I think I might grow very, very upset with you." Joking, of course, Wes doesn't even lean in. His chin moves up ever so slightly and the smirk returns along with his raised brow. "You'll have to really prove it to me how much you truly care. Only then will I tell you how I have gotten the keys to your escape."

Evangeline stared up into the green pools of his, as bright as the evergreens she had gotten lost in, and as rich as molten chocolate. He was full of passion and fire, she could see it in his face and feel it pressing up against his body. She was not entirely sure how their entire relationship had come about, being so deep and pleasureful... yet so secretive and quick. Still, Evangeline too believed that love did not have a time limit or a starting love. She imagined that she might have begun to love Wes the moment he crouched down and helped her clean up the broken china... or when it had been when he had held her by the fire in the dead of night, sharing his warmth. Where ever it began, Evangeline knew that she was a beginning to feel a heat of her own.

Reaching up, the young woman ran her fingertips along the backs of his hands, his palms still cupping her red and blotchy face. Her eyes searched his, and despite his jesting she smiled lightly.
"Why must you torture me this way?" she asked gently, lacing her fingers in between his and squeezing gently. She wished that he would never have to leave her side, that they could lay together in this little bed for the rest of eternity. Evangeline certainly would have not been complaining about it.

Leaning up, her lips barely skimmed his. Her lips were soft and moist, but barely detectable against his own. She shivered slightly at the gentle contact and then pulled away, a little teasingly. Her head sank back down into her pillow and she surveyed his face.
Again, she leaned in, her mouth claiming his almost so softly and delicately, as though one were made of thin glass and the other of stone. A lot of the time when she was in Wes's arms, that was how she felt. One move and he could snap her wrist, another and he could overpower her.
Her lips lingered and she drank in the taste of him, his musk and mint. She exhaled, trailing her lips along his cheekbone, her eyes opening. "Please, tell me, Wes..." she pleaded innocently.

"You will have your revenge, I am sure of it, Evangeline." He squeezes between his fingers so that she can feel his reaction to her brush of her lips. He pouts, "And there you have it, revenge. You are a sly little minx." When she sinks back down into the fluffy pillows, Wes follows, wanting to feel her gentle kisses more than ever. Ignoring the tightening knot in his stomach, he leans in again and waits for her to complete the full mile. With his eyes closed, he feels her nose crumple up against his, her lips hugging his for the dear life of her. Soon enough, he is kissing her back immediately, not wanting the sparks to stop trickling over his lips.

Licking his lips in satisfaction, Wes tastes the tea Bethany had made while Melinda and him watched the tree line together and discussed their future. "Oh you are too much," he breathes, wanting to lean back in and take her once again between his lips. Restraint is a quality he owns though and controls. He will not jump on her like some baboon might. "Oh you're a charmer. How could I say no to your innocent face and the tickle of your lips on my skin. You're just what I want, Evangeline and you're all that I could ever want."

Opening his eyes, those light pools back his words up completely. He is swimming with love and lust, passion and romance. All Wes wishes is for Evangeline to be happy and now, from that kiss of hers, he is sure that he is the one who will bring those things to her doorstep. "You say that Tim has control over you because you're bound to be his wife. Well, it's simple. We'll just need to find you the proper man to marry instead before the date of your predisposed wedding with my sickly brother in law. You understand don't you?" stroking his chin, he raises his brow quizzically. "Now where would we find a man who would wish to take you to the alter and marry you right on the spot, hm?" Grinning, he repeats, "I wonder... I wonder..." plenty of times as he pretends to stroke a beard that isn't present.