Original poster
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
  3. One post per week
Online Availability
Afternoons/Evenings (UTC−06:00, DST UTC−05:00)
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
huleeb-667-08-nov-2021-final.jpg

aa177f57e2a6a5de31937308241b2f89.png
"It is not the dark that mankind fears the most, but that which lurks within it..."

Artwork by huleeb.

~ Basic Premise ~
Since I'm looking more for help/suggestions on fleshing out an otherwise very barebones and heavily vibes based concept that just popped into my head tonight, I'll skip all the presentation or deep lore dumps that you'd usually expect. The basic premise of this RP concept would see players working together in a special operations unit of sorts, comprised of maybe four or five people max, one that would be deployed by a multinational shadow organization to deal with various hostile eldritch monstrosities, cryptids, anomalies, and so on in a variety of different environments and locations. Some of which aren't even on Earth, with many more still being incredibly dangerous in their own unique and mind-bending ways. Think of it like a mix of SCP's Mobile Task Forces, Delta Green (sans the dice), and XCOM, only with a huge heaping of psychological horror and body horror thrown in. I don't really have much of an overarching plot in mind beyond players going after various creatures in villain of the week style missions, but I think the base concept itself could work as an RP if it focuses more on each player character's interactions and relationships with the other members of their squad, as well as the personal struggles they face while confronting things mankind really wasn't equipped to comprehend - let alone deal with.

~ The Quirks ~
The biggest quirk for this concept would be the fact that, beyond the very sandbox style of play, it would ideally be written entirely in first person. Now I know that's not the norm for most RPs or even works of literature, but my reasoning here is that a first person writing format would allow for a more visceral and personal experience overall as opposed to a more omniscient, past tense style, which tends to distance a reader/writer from the events occurring within a narrative significantly. At least in my own experience anyway. The other major quirk would be dice. Or, rather, whether or not to have them in play at all. I'm not a big fan of tabletop systems or games myself (their associated worldbuilding and lore are another matter entirely), but something like this feels as though it could benefit from the randomness dice rolls can provide, at least in regards to sanity or events happening within each mission if nothing else. It doesn't even need to be a very complex system either. I could just make a ratings table and have players roll, say, a d10 and compare the result to the values on said table in order to determine what status effect they've been inflicted with. But that's if I go with dice at all naturally.

~ Possible Themes ~
I'm honestly not sure if all of these count, but...
Psychological horror, body horror, paranormal activity/occultism, tacticool (to an extent), military RP, occultism, shadow organizations, struggles with isolation and loneliness, the dangers of battling the eldritch truth, trauma, depression, autophobia.

~ The Vibes ~
If I had to describe the vibes I'm going for with a concept as vague and barely fleshed out as this, I think this playlist sums them up perfectly:

So what do you all think? Could a premise like this work for an RP, assuming it gets fleshed out more and I find the time (not to mention motivation) to run it? And more importantly, would anyone be interested, be that in a small group setup or even a 1x1 with the rest of the squad being NPCs we control as needed?

Last edited:
  • Creative
Reactions: MiharuAya
I think you could run it more like a DnD campaign style than anything else. Like if you ran it as a group, you would need to be prepared to write the world, setting, etc. Even as a 1x1, you would have to have it where at least someone was the "GM".

Also, I would perhaps suggest not making it a required first person writing style. That alone would be the entire reason I wouldn't be interested because, I personally, only write in 3rd person. I get your thoughts, but it feels ick when I try to write in first person and many of the people I write with agree.

I think it would be interesting, I would suggest a group but that would be hard because you would need a VERY dedicated group for this rp. Either that or prepare for the rp to eventually turn into a 1x1 by leaving room in the rp for teammate death. It could add an extra layer of plot by having the characters deal with teammates deaths.

Hope this takes off!

Reactions: Havoccultist