Original poster
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. One post per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
I know this probably sounds like a very minor issue that might not be worth making a thread about, but the conversation has come up a few times in the Discord chat before, and this time it was recommended that I make a thread here about it.

So, the three staff departments are all different shades of red, in order to make them easy to tell apart at a glance. Maintenance is easy to recognize at a glance, because it is much pinker than the other two. But Security and Community are very similar. I really can't tell the difference unless I'm comparing them side-by-side. This becomes an issue (so I've been told...) when newbie members are told that Security members are "the darkest red", and then newbies mistakenly contact Community members about security-related issues. (There was a Community staffer who told me that this has happened. Unfortunately I don't remember who it was that said that...)

Also, while I can sort of see the difference between Security and Community red on the forum (when comparing them side-by-side, at least), I noticed that, on the Iwaku Discord server, the Community red actually looks darker to me than the Security red (except for Peregrine, who is significantly darker than all the Security and Community staff due to being the Security lead). I only just now noticed that Community is such a dark red on Discord, which is why I mentioned it there, which led to me making this thread.

I know it's not a huge issue, especially with the banners that Staff members have under their names, but, if it's caused confusion for newbie members before, then, maybe tweaking the colors would be a good thing to do. If the colors for two of the departments are too hard to tell apart, then that kind of defeats the purpose of having three distinct shades of red.

Actually, on Discord, all three of the Staff colors look rather similar... Maintenance is slightly lighter than the others, but not by much.

The role colours on Discord are actually the same colour codes as on the side, with the exception of the admin purple, where it's more of a lavender on the Discord server :o

The role colours on Discord are actually the same colour codes as on the side, with the exception of the admin purple, where it's more of a lavender on the Discord server :o
Huh... are you sure? The Discord colors definitely look quite different from the Iwaku colors... although I suppose it could just be an optical illusion of some kind.

The point still stands that Community and Security are difficult to tell apart even on Iwaku proper, though. o_o

Yeah, Pahn is right, same exact color hexcodes for staff department colors on Iwaku and Discord.

As for the colors being hard to tell apart for newbies, I think the better solution would be for people to stop trying to identify staff members' departments by relative shades. They all have ribbons under their avatar and in their profiles saying which department they are in, and on Discord they are conveniently grouped by department in the server user list, so ideally people could just check there instead of being silly and relying on name color. :|

Getting it tweaked would not take tons of effort though. I can't do it because my computer monitor is wonky and colors are weird on there, but maybe Kitti or Astaroth will see this and decide to give it a try.

Huh... are you sure? The Discord colors definitely look quite different from the Iwaku colors... although I suppose it could just be an optical illusion of some kind.

The point still stands that Community and Security are difficult to tell apart even on Iwaku proper, though. o_o
My guess is that the colors look off on Discord's light/dark theme backgrounds, since the same thing happens to me though in reverse. I can tell apart the staff colors in Discord's grey background, but the reds look very similar on Iwaku's Midnight theme.

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
...the reds are different? Oh geez. I need new eyes lolol.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Daz and Greenie
As for the colors being hard to tell apart for newbies, I think the better solution would be for people to stop trying to identify staff members' departments by relative shades. They all have ribbons under their avatar and in their profiles saying which department they are in, and on Discord they are conveniently grouped by department in the server user list, so ideally people could just check there instead of being silly and relying on name color. :|
I have to agree with this 100% Even in mobile the ribbons are very visible.

I think the shades of red were meant to represent that even though there is variance among the three staff kinds, that they are all Staff Members and if you need staff help, to simply look for someone in red.

I think the shades of red were meant to represent that even though there is variance among the three staff kinds, that they are all Staff Members and if you need staff help, to simply look for someone in red.
The problem with this that the three departments do three different things o.o I don't think the confusion between Maintance and Commumity is that big of a deal asides from the fact that Community may not be able to answer the same questions as Maintance but neither department can be very helpful with a security problem unless it's minor enough for Maintance to deal with o.o That's the reason for the departments: for users to know who to go to and who are best equipped to help.

The three colors seem to be a lot easier to tell apart on Discord now. Security in particular is much more distinctly set apart from the other two.

...Although, typing this out, I'm now starting to think that perhaps the Discord colors never actually changed, and that the perceived difference between the three shades is constantly fluctuating due to some sort of optical illusion. XD And if that's the case then I guess there's nothing anyone can really do to make the colors more distinct from each other.

But if the Discord colors did actually change, then, I think this is a huge improvement over the previous three shades. XD

The forum colors still appear to be the same as they were when I made this thread, though.

• Bucket of Rainbows
There really wasn't any changes xD Those have been the staff colours since, well, the staff changes that happened last summer.

• Useful
  • Thank You
Reactions: Kitti and Greenie
Status
Not open for further replies.