Clothing Through the Ages

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Revision

Original poster
Most roleplayers will eventually have to describe clothing for a character, whether it is in detail or just because someone has a garment tear. In those cases, it is good to know what sort of clothes were worn in the sort of setting you are in. Most fantasy roleplays and some sci fi have clothing based loosely from certain time periods. Others have entirely new inventive styles where only the basic garments are the same. This thread is a place to list useful clothing resources, be they pictures, garment definitions, historical listings, or guides to dressing for tea. Here are a few to get you started.

A collection of slide shows on fashion through the ages
Historic UK guides on Fashion Time Periods and Victorian Era Fashionhttp://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Victorian-Fashion/
A short essay on theatrical dancewear's evolution

Thank you for posting this. I've been working on drawing characters from a Victorian age setting, but I haven't been able to find much help for the women's dresses. This helped a lot, thank you!

Clothing definitions from medieval times. All definitions can also be found (in different wording) in Medieval Wordbook by Madeleine Pelner Cosman. This will be updated semi-regularly.

A
agraffe: Hook, clasp, buckle, or interlocking metal pieces to fasten the neck or belt of a garment. Originally for armor.
aiglet/aglet: in the fifteenth century, a metal piece attached to a strip of cloth or lace for attaching pieces of garments, such as sleeve and tunic, to one another.
ailette: The shield worn on the shoulder of a knight's armor
alb: a white, anklelength tunic, often embroidered (especially when worn by clergy)
almuce: a hood of cloth or fur. When worn by clergy, it had pendant bands worn draped over the chest
amigaut: a short slit in a surcoat neck allowing for ease of donning and removing or the decorative panel adorning the slit
anelace: a decorative dagger worn for ornamentation
aperture: an open space between sections of material in clothing, jewelry, and sculpture

This is awesome. :D! Thank you so much! <3

Yes, that is very helpful! Feel free to contribute!! Thank you!

Thank you so much! I hate having to be vague about clothes in a period setting because I'm unsure what would be accurate; you can tell so much about a person's class, background, and personality from their clothes!

Status
Not open for further replies.