Client 0013897

Status
Not open for further replies.
"That reminds me, I'll have to take you sailing sometime. We would have to 'borrow' a boat from somebody but it would be fun. The ocean is cold and alive and makes me feel. Like the forrest. Like you."

Aspen smiled. She stopped playing and pulled Riley down onto the piano bench beside her. "I would love to go sailing with you," she said. "But for now, could you play me something?"

Riley tentatively touched the keys. He was hesitant to play again. It had been along time and his last piano memory wasn't a good one.

He slowly played a scale, then settled on the bench. He ran his fingers lightly over the keys, light and fast notes emanating from the strings within the wooden box.

Softly at first, then rising to a steady volume, Eddie Vedder's Long Nights began to sing out from his fingers.

Aspen smiled when he began to play. It was beautiful, much better than her playing. She recognised the song but didn't say anything; Aspen rested her head on Riley's shoulder, closing her eyes and listening to the music.

"It's amazing," she whispered. "Beautiful."

Riley's mind slipped away as his fingers danced over the ivory keys. He transitioned effortlessly into Ray Lamontagne's Beg, Steal, or Borrow.

He slowly swayed his body to the melody, feeling the warm air of the house, the sound of the music, the weight of Aspen's head on his shoulder, but all of it was like a different world. Riley felt like he was watching the scene from above and behind, blissfully, beautifully distant from reality.

Aspen slipped her arm under his, hugging him closely while he played. He was talented -- though Bethany had insisted all her children know how to play an instrument, Aspen's ten years of piano lessons couldn't match Riley. She had never been particularly interested in learning the piano anyway, but due to her intelligent brain, she had picked it up easily.

Aspen kept her eyes closed as she shuffled closer to Riley. With her hair falling over his shoulder and covering her face, Aspen said, "How long do we have before your appointment?"

Riley had forgotten his appointment with Doctor Carstairs. He stopped playing and checked his watch. 5:30. Appointment at 5. "I'm late, " he sighed.
"I don't want to leave. Do you mind if I stay here, with you? At least for a while more?"

Aspen thought Riley needed to continue going to see her mom. She would help him get better, but she wouldn't push him into anything.

"Of course," she said. "You can stay here for as long as you like."

Aspen kissed his cheek. She, like him, didn't want to leave the peace of the house. But, eventually, she would have to, because her mom would freak if she didn't come home. Stupid parents, Aspen thought.

"I know I should probably go to see her. But I'm happy, or as close as I can comprehend happiness to be, sitting here with you."

Riley began playing again, searching for the release that it gave him from his body and mind. But something from his past was rearing its ugly head and Riley's music became slower, heavier. He played through Pink Floyd's Time and then began Wish You Were Here but he trailed off in the middle of it and sat back on the bench. A far away look in his eyes.

When Riley suddenly stopped playing, Aspen let him go and scooted half a centimetre away. "What's wrong?" she asked quietly. She was concerned about the look in his eye. "Are you okay?"

Had she done something wrong?

Riley got up and laid down on the floor. He looked up at Aspen but mostly looking through her. He held out a handing, inviting her down. He was spiralling down into the recesses of his mind and his subconscious knew he needed a tangible link to the present reality.

Aspen was confused, but she laid down beside him on the wooden floor. The room, empty of any furniture besides the piano and piano bench, was silent, except for their breathing. Luckily, Aspen's cleaning habit stopped dust from dirtying their clothes. Aspen pressed close to Riley, wrapping one arm over him and taking his hand with the other.

"Are you okay, Riley?" asked Aspen quietly. "Is there anything I can do to help you?"

"I...I just...I need something real." He still felt weighed down by memories and he was dreading returning home. "I want to be able to just spend time with you and play you Ray LaMontagne and looking your eyes and be happy." He sat up and shivered slightly.

"But my mind seems to have a vested interest in preventing extended period of not-sadness. When I start to feel and smile and there's warmth in my chest; I make someone I care about hurt or I'm reminded of something I want to forget or I look to hard at humanity or whatever it is. Aspen I don't think yo know what you're getting yourself into. I am not one to make someone happier, to make someone feel good."

"Riley ... I have absolutely no idea what I'm getting myself into, correct, but I do know that I'm here to stay, that I want to be here for you and that I really, really care about you. I think you need to keep seeing my mom, because she can help you a thousand times more than I ever could, but while I'm with you I'm going to do everything in my power to help you as much as I can."

Before he could say anything and before she lost her nerve, Aspen leaned forward, slowly, and kissed Riley on the mouth. Just once, lingering there for no more than three seconds. She pulled back. "I'm here for you."

Riley was stunned by her kiss. He sat back and worried that he might hurt her. He would rather be killed slowly than hurt Aspen.

He touched her face with his hand, softly. He wanted to explain himself, say that he was emotionally dangerous, that he didn't want to hurt her in anyway. Her eyes broke his train of thought. They sparkled with inquisitiveness, searching his face for react to the kiss. He slowly leaned his head toward hers, brushing his lips against hers by just millimeters then pulling back.

With less than an inch between them Riley looked into Aspen's eyes, trying to see what she wanted.

Aspen moved into a sitting position on the clean floor, pulling Riley upwards with her. She enjoyed the kiss -- more than most other things.

Moving slowly and carefully, in case he wanted her to stop, Aspen leaned forward and kissed him again, slowly this time. She stayed there for no longer than five seconds, before leaning back again. She took his hands in hers and kept her eyes on the floor, smiling. "That was good," she murmured. "I won't do it if you don't want me to, though."

Riley held her face in his hands and pressed his lips to hers, holding to her. When he pulled away hoped she could sense the longing in his kiss and see the affection in his eye.

Riley was amazed at how in such a short time that he and Aspen had become close. He was still surprised at every smile she causes his face to contort into. These were unfamiliar feelings for Riley, happiness, affection, missing someone once they leave.

Aspen smiled. She realised how much she cared about Riley -- in the short time they had known each other, Aspen had become emotionally closer to him than anyone else she knew. He was the one she could be herself around, the one who had fueled her confidence in herself. He was amazing.

Aspen kissed him again, sliding her hands, slowly, up his sides until they rested on his shoulders. She checked the clock hanging on the wall, and sighed. "As much as I'd like to sit here and make out with you all evening, it's six p.m., and my mom will freak out if I'm not home soon."

Riley smiled, almost devilishly, "Define soon," he said as he stood up and held out his hand to help up Aspen. He was surprised by how the afternoon had gone but it was definitely pleasant surprise. Aspen's affection for him had seemed illusory, dreamlike, for a long time. But her lips on his had brought it into reality.

She cared for him. For whatever reason, he could not fathom. But she obviously cared, or was a very convincing liar. Riley stifled a smile at his joke and looked down at Aspen.

Aspen also grinned, and, when she was standing before him, stood on her tiptoes and kissed him again. Slipping both arms around his neck, which kept her face close to his, she grinned into the kiss and whispered, "Soon -- when we're done here."

Aspen wanted him so badly. Not just his presence and his kisses, but she wanted his comfort and compassion. She wanted to mean something to him. She wanted him to like her. Which, unless he was lying, he absolutely did.

Aspen didn't care about the time as she kissed Riley, whipping her glasses off and holding them by the leg between her fingers so they didn't get in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.