Characters in Retrospect

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Diana

LOOK HOW CALM SHE IS
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
You play out a character in a roleplay and at the time, everything is great!

But then later when you think back about the roleplay and the character... sometimes there are things you wished you did differently.

Tell us about some of your old characters and some events or traits about them that you wish went a different way!

Oh man.....my very first roleplay character! I had absolutely no clue what I was doing, and just kind of went with it. I had an angel/fairy who adopted every single orphan she came across, and I won't even count how many times she was married. Eventually I tweeked her through dozens of manipulating plots to become what I wanted her to be. She started off a weak, pathetic little fairy/angel, but after killing her, half of her children, and her twin sister off, sending her into the future to witness the devastation of the end of the world, and giving her a mission, I straightened her out.

The last time I used her, she was standing off with her former best friend who happened to be a demon trying to save the soul of the man responsible for the end of the world.

She went from being someone who was easily manipulated, with far too many emotional attachments, to a bitch with a heart only for her mission.

Damn, did I have fun with her though. Almost makes me miss the old MSN chat days....almost.

Oh boy.
When I was younger, I tried Villains.
Not much more to state, besides when looking back on that stuff, I cringe.
Quote on quote: "Mwah ha ha! You cannot "dafeat" me! I am The "Invinsible"! DIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!"

Ugh. Childhood. Recently I tend to regret some older character posts of mine due to just the batshit crazy amounts of dialogue.

Ex. "Fie and fie again" <Insert character name here><Insert violent action here> "Words words words words words words words words words words words words words word words.... words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words word words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words word words words words words words words words words words words words! words words words words words words words word words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words word. words words words?! Damn it all... words words words words words words words words words words words words words words. words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words. words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words word words words words words words words words words words words words words? words words words words words words words words words words words words words... No.... Words.... but.... I............. word..." <Insert character name here> Dies.

I've been improving to 2-4 dialogues per post.

When I was younger, I tried Villains.
Not much more to state, besides when looking back on that stuff, I cringe.
Quote on quote: "Mwah ha ha! You cannot "dafeat" me! I am The "Invinsible"! DIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!"
Ugh. Childhood. Recently I tend to regret some older character posts of mine due to just the batshit crazy amounts of dialogue.
Ex. "Fie and fie again" <Insert character name here><Insert violent action here> "Words words words words words words words words words words words words words word words.... words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words word words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words word words words words words words words words words words words words! words words words words words words words word words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words word. words words words?! Damn it all... words words words words words words words words words words words words words words. words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words. words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words word words words words words words words words words words words words words? words words words words words words words words words words words words words... No.... Words.... but.... I............. word..." <Insert character name here> Dies.
I've been improving to 2-4 dialogues per post.
Hahahaha! That pretty much sums up every evil character I ever had to deal with back in my newb days. I especially loved the whole -So and so flies into the room and punches the first person they see.- I can't say how many of my rps got messed up because of idiots like that.

I REGRET NOTHING!

Seriously. I just roleplay and roll with things.

Regret is lose.

Playing is win.

Hahahaha! That pretty much sums up every evil character I ever had to deal with back in my newb days. I especially loved the whole -So and so flies into the room and punches the first person they see.- I can't say how many of my rps got messed up because of idiots like that.
Yeah I hated that. At least with my Villains I made flaws and kept them so that the hero or heroes could trump them. (Though for some reason they kept deciding not to >.>) Most lil'peeps decided to add things on as they went on. "OH! Wait! Megabeezlebozzeroextremeo can go Super Saiyan!" I forget how many arguments were started because of that.

I used to make blatantly black and white conflicts, good versus evil so un-ironic it hurts me to read it now. Villains so casually morbid they become comical, heroes so idealistic they blind you with their whiteness blandness. Over time I got better at it, villains have motivations and lives beyond "because I'm evil" and heroes have flaws and make mistakes. There is still room for sociopaths and idealistic hero(ine)s, but when out of the public eye, they have their own lives. Even the strongest heroes have weak moments in private, even the most malevolent bastards have family, friends, lovers.

Exceptions can be made obviously, like The Dragon can still essentially be a brute who takes pleasure in loyalty and violence, but there's at least a little more depth there than "this guy wants to kill you because he does." I've found it's much more effective in role plays to deliver aesops and plot twists when players realize the world they're in is flawed. One faction may be darker in grey than the other, but there's very few that truly defy the grey for purity of one or the other, and these characters are by a rule of thumb abnormal in a way that defies normal human constraints.

A story is only improved when the protagonists realize the villain they're out to slay is a relate-able family man that wants to take power to protect his family and friends. It adds weight and consequence. It makes the conflict human.

Yeah I hated that. At least with my Villains I made flaws and kept them so that the hero or heroes could trump them. (Though for some reason they kept deciding not to >.>) Most lil'peeps decided to add things on as they went on. "OH! Wait! Megabeezlebozzeroextremeo can go Super Saiyan!" I forget how many arguments were started because of that.
My very first villain was completely evil, no redeeming qualities to her at all. I learned from my mistakes when everyone wanted to kill her as soon as she opened her mouth. Eventually I got used to adding a bit of dimension to them, but it took a lot of practice.

after making complex villains, i actually found the TRULY CHAOTIC EVIL ones who do things for the lulz to be refreshingly awesome

what can i say? sometimes we all need a little black and white in our diet

I was actually out of the norm I feel with a lot of newcomer RPers in that I didn't exactly make any real cliche' characters, at least, not any cliche' that were horribly black-and-white and/or just silly with dialogue and whatnot. Granted, I was about 12 when I started RPing, so my grammar was pretty piss poor, but I at least at the common curtsy to post more than three sentences.

If I remember correctly, my first *real* RP (when I actually took RPing seriously) was a bit ambitious for me. I forget his name sadly, but I RPed basically a self-insert of me in some post-apocalyptic city that, for once, didn't actually deal primarily with zombies (although they existed). Normally, I hate self-inserts, but you usually don't tend to see preteen characters that are portrayed realistically, and I thought, at the time, I did an okay job of it (he didn't go around blowing zombies brains and was on the verge of freezing constantly until he regrouped with the main cast of characters). All-in-all, I was proud of em', though, I still have some bad habits to this day...

Like making characters with gas masks and/or blindness, that is really a sore spot for me now. Kind of like a "trait fetish" if you will.

The first RP I made was a sandbox. It's taken me years before trying that again, and I still am not sure how to tackle it's inherent problems. Seriously goddammit.

Character-wise... I honestly still like my first RP-characters. Admittedly, I was writing long before I got into RP'ing. Sure, I played diva's and bastards as archetypes exclusively, but hell even if I wrote teenage girls, they had internal struggles with their identity and fought the world alongside their insecurities... Be it by manipulating their environments, petty theft and joyriding, or smashing skulls with an oversized flail because they were removed from the swimming team because of poor grades (ohman I miss Sissi). Sure, most of my guys were sick bastards, but they were extroverted sick bastards, who needed other people to trick or assert their dominance over and never were the most powerful entity in the RP so had to get smart or get owned. Sure, I had a misunderstood character or two who best wanted to be loners, but I gave them clear goals IC and direction that forced them to interact with others and BITCH HAD DEMON TREES FOR ARMS. Admittedly, I did give my characters relatively more strengths than weaknesses than I do now, and was less likely to make them lose, but it save for a lack of variation, it wasn't all that bad.

Truth is, arrogant as it may sound, I never went through the 'gaia' or 'neopets' phase. Sure there's some characters I like less than others, but there's not a lot I regret or am ashamed of.

I have had some of the most LONEWOLFY MC EDGYSON of charachters. My terra Magica setting used to be the most half assed post-apoc setting ever, an my charachter back then was MR "Red Eyes Mc Generic Punkson..."

For years I was unable to play a ugly charachter.

These days I gravitate towards grumpy, crazies and uglies for some reason.

I started off on the... Fun Online (FOL) Compuseve chatrooms. My very first character has actually gone through like twenty different incarnations, and still hangs around as a sort of auxiliary character. He was just awful when I started. Sickeningly cutesy, dumb as a brick, cross-dressed (for some reason?) and was easily mistaken for a girl, suffered from the yaois (and was an uke, ofc). You name the stereotype, he probably was it at some point and in some incarnation. He's still most of those things, but I'm much better able to work with them now.

When I started out I played the derpy anime-esque, or really weird-to-the-point-of-unplayable things without much in the way of story-lines to speak of. They all kind of existed in voids. I probably still have a ton of their records, though, because they are near and dear to me despite themselves, and I wouldn't change (mostly) a thing about them. Then one year I decided I was done with childish things and made a completely different character (well, tried. He's kind of an off-brand Doctor, so...). Now my characters and plots are a bit more nuanced, and I'm far more comfortable trying new things than I would have before.

That being said, even in the near past I had a problem character, and had to call it quits on an RP because my stupid character was being stupid and refusing to work. So I wrote a story about her instead. It's coming along much better, since I know what sort of situations and aspects to avoid now. Namely, employ time-skips/scene-jumps because she is slooooow, don't get too inside of her head, because you will drown, and lastly, she does not work as a main character so she can't be the direct focus. I've since relegated her blog on Tumblr to a sort of archive/fiction blog because I do enjoy the character a lot; she just doesn't work for RP. And once I get the story edited to my liking, I'm going to start posting there again.

I am still using my first characters, but they have grown.

One of my fondest characters started out as an incredibly generic bad guy - now, whenever I start rps with her, she just seems like a normal person with normal flaws. I have not yet gotten far with her on Iwaku, but the plan is to bring out her evil bit by bit!

And on the other side of the coin, my previously "I am an angelic princess" characters have been developing flaws and habits that, in some moments, can make them appear quite evil >:)

But there is one thing that is interesting - if you disregard obvious improvements in writing, my characters will always start out just as shallow as they were once were (with the exception of previously mentioned evil character, who seems shallow in an entirely different way.)

It is possible this is a bad habit that I should fix, but for the first few posts, a lot of my characters seem extremely archetypal - and sometimes they remain sort-of archetypal for a while with tiny hints of subtle things showing though. And only when things get really intense does shit hit the fan.

My reasoning is that, as with real people, the longer you know them, the more you discover. Most people, when you first meet them, are sorted into stereotypes+quirks simply because you've just met them.

And also I have seen mary-sue/gary-stu characters in which the author writes well enough for you not to even notice how cheesy they are /SHRUGS IDK.

Ah... so many things I could talk about, here... :,D

In general, I feel like I can look back on just about every RP character of mine -- including the ones that I'm technically still playing, but that I started playing quite a ways back, like in my long-lived RP's -- and feel like I played them as too much of a nervous wreck... This is something that I still struggle with, for whatever reason. >.>" But it's much more noticeable in my older posts.

As for specific examples... gah. Moon was way too dark and brooding in his early incarnations, but, hey, what else would you expect from one of my first ever characters? In somewhat-later incarnations, I remember him being a bit more of a dork-wolf than the much more dark and intriguing creature he was originally designed as, but I still feel like, even by that point, it was still hard to strike a good balance and not make him excessively broody or emotional. Also, I gave him a pet bird for some reason? He rescued her as a baby bird that fell out of her nest, which was supposed to show his heroic and caring side. And, as an adult, that bird always followed him around and acted sort of as a "sidekick" -- which made sense in the earliest incarnations of Moon's story, which was very much a "talking animals" sort of tale (I mean, Moon himself is a wolf), and so Goldie (the bird) was considerably anthropomorphized. But as the lore for all of that evolved and changed and got recycled a number of times, that quality started to disappear -- Moon still had human-level intelligence (because he's a ~magic~ wolf), and he could still understand Goldie, because being able to talk to animal species was one of his powers. But by that point, I never gave Goldie any real "dialogue", and she acted a lot more like a regular bird, with everything she "said" being interpreted through Moon. But then that meant that she was just... there, and rarely had any importance in anything, except for if she went missing and Moon was worried about her or something. Looking back on it, it was just really pointless to include her at all. If I ever re-use Moon again, Goldie probably won't be included.

Muse (yes, I have a character named "Muse") always did way too much to save the players' asses instead of letting them overcome obstacles on their own (particularly in the early stages of WttG and WBttG), and I was always very inconsistent about what his powers were even capable of. I've gotten so annoyed by it at this point that I recently let him get captured by the Big Bad of the RP so that the players can finally prove their own strength for the final arc of the RP by rescuing him.

Every attempt I've ever made at creating an "evil organization" filled with faceless NPC henchmen has always just been so laughable in hindsight. They're supposed to be intimidating but nothing they do makes any sense. Why do I do this.

Also, I seem to have an issue with creating God-cats that create endless deus ex machinas...? I have done this in two RP's, and didn't notice the similarities until well after the 2nd God-cat was already an established character. They don't talk, they're implied to be more-or-less intelligent and also ~know things~ about the plot but they still act like normal cats most of the time (I mean, the first one could fly, which isn't exactly normal cat behavior, but, details), and so they never even felt like real characters. They were just... little furry bundles of plot-convenience that were just sort of there. One of them is still in one of my current RP's and I've certainly been trying to rely on him less and less to get things from point A to point B, but like... yeah, this seems like a really weirdly specific misstep to keep accidentally doing over and over.