CHARACTER Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Salsacookies There's an easy way to do this. It's called refuge in audacity.

What you have to do is just have so many ludicrously OP characters that they balance each other out.

Gather up your overpowered players something they absolutely must not lose, and turn them all against each other, and suddenly stakes!

Reactions: Minibit
Or simply remember Achilles and give each hero a heel. Characters without weaknesses are boring to watch and play because you already know the outcome, and two omnipotent opponents more often end up in a stalemate than an epic battle (unless both players are really cool about letting their characters take a hit or lose a fight). Give each hero a weakness, and make sure their powers/strengths are clearly outlined as well. A character whose powers do not include flight or sticky fingers will have to get creative scaling a cliff or tall building. As the GM, also make sure the environment is alwYs full of challenges.

I've got an incredibly awkward situation for me with one of my characters in a Roleplay. I play alot of Fantasy and Action roleplays, that's where I shine the most, and I like a to play a variety of characters. In contrast, I don't have much experience with romance at all.

One of my character, female, has had an on-off relationship with another character in one of these roleplays for years, the characters get along really well. I'm not too good with Romance though, and there's going to be a big bombshell dropped on her that the other character HAS a girlfriend that she hasn't known about(dropped by her interest in question), and I'm not sure how to write jealously in that post or what her reaction is going to be.

The character in question is stoic and a real introvert, her reactions are generally quiet.

Again, I generally don't do romance, but it came up the Roleplay, and has given it a nice flavor so far, but I'm stuck on how to write jealousy.... that, and I'm a dude. Man I feel gay writing this right now. It's for the love of the story I swear!

@Ganryu

Jealousy about relationships is generally handled about the same way as jealousy over other things; let me draw you some parallels, hopefully you can find some inspiration!

A example: Susan has just got the promotion Jill was trying very hard for; oh noes!
B example: Jason is going out with Becky instead of Elayne; oh noes!

A: Susan is gushing about how happy she is over her promotion; Jill is the only one not congratulating her or seeming happy for her. She speculates that Susan slept with the boss or bought her way in.
B: Jason is gushing about his new relationship and how great Becky is. Elayne is not and doesn't pretend to be a Becky fan. She points out faults and expresses concern for Jason, warning him not to wear rose-tinted glasses with this girl.

A: Susan is in trouble in her new position; she messed up an important project! Jill plays up the mistake to their boss, making the error look huge and Susan look worse; she explains how she would have avoided the error, and insinuates that she would perform better in the job.
B: Becky forgot about her anniversary with Jason, despite Jason getting excited and preparing for it. Elayne sympathizes with Jason, painting Becky as an ignorant, self-absorbed little witch. How could she do this to him? He deserves better.

A: Jill shows off extra hard for the boss, playing up her strength and pulling Susan's shortcomings into focus
B: Elayne points out Becky's shortcomings at every opportunity, while playing up her own strength and trying to be more attractive around Jason

A: Jill brings work home with her, working double time and snooping about to find dirt on Becky and build up her own brownie points
B: Elayne becomes obsessive about Jason and Becky's relationship, complaining about it to her friends, monitoring their activities and romantic life in order to pick it apart and hypothesize what a better girlfriend she would be.

In both cases, the jealous party attempts to break down the object of their jealousy while trying to make themselves feel better or even obtain the thing they are jealous of. there are elements of sabotage, destructive behaviour, obsession, lowered boundaries, and self-promotion in both cases. Both Jill and Elayne in these examples may also demonstrate passive-aggression, excusing their snide, destructive, or generally mean comments as "honesty", "kidding around", or having the best interests of their goal (the position, Jason), at heart. they see the object of their Jealousy as a problem that needs to be fixed, not just for their happiness, but for others involved as well. To support this idea, they slant their vision to see unhappiness and glaring problems where, from an unbiased perspective, there may be only minor irritations and manageable errors.

• Thank You
Reactions: ElBell and Ganryu
Status
Not open for further replies.