Cat's in the cradle (Melia and Taliesin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt still had the peeling remnants of a sunburn he'd obtained for the few short days before that he'd taken a jaunt down to South America. The trip had ended up being double purposed because one of his servers had gone down and he'd needed to go do some repair work on it. Unfortunately it had been a relatively central server for some of his accounts and it's brief demise had set off some suspicions from the NSA. As would any flickering and halting stop to two major accounts that had caused somewhat of a data block in that one spot. A Hoover Dam of data, so to speak. So now they'd been watching him more closely and he'd had to do some rather illegal things to get himself off their watch lists.

So that was his main purpose for going down there, but the other was to set up a second base. He re routed part of his networking to the new base to redirect attention and get things back online as fast as he could. He trusted no one but himself to do this kind of work, unfortunately and so that meant he had to take mini vacations to the locations of his server hubs to keep them in working order. This one had gone out due to a particularly violent thunderstorm, as were apt to happen in those tropical locations.

Matt also had a few server hubs across Canada, Norway, India, Japan, Iran, Turkey, and elsewhere including a very low amount in the United States due to how damn snoopy they were. More than anywhere else, for certain. But randomness was key and it would also seem a bit suspicious if he didn't have some bases there. Look for the hole in the data and that too could be evidence against him.

It had taken a few weeks to get that under control after some very dangerous hacking into national security and the secretary of defense. Minor adjustments to fingerprint data, change the spelling of his name. In some places completely remove himself but that was risky. He never knew who might be obsessively watching him and taking physical paper notes instead of just computer data. Eventually his name and account numbers started dropping off of watch lists all together.

His hand was doing much better now as well. He still struggled with some motor movements of his ring and pinky fingers and occasional numbness that came and went. But those were his least important fingers and so he counted himself very lucky. He was happy to do away with the sling though he wore an elastic brace now to help him with movement. It seemed if he took pressure off his palm he lost the ability to move those two fingers at all.

He'd decided it would be a good idea to keep Kristie close. After all, someone would have to be able to keep his accounts going after he left. Someone had to be able to take care of Mr. Howard for all that he was doing for Matt. Who better than her, who seemed to have similar paranoia and knowledge of the way the government worked? And so he decided to keep her in close contact and slowly their friendship grew to be more genuine.

He hadn't yet let Kristie in to show her everything involved with those accounts. That would be for later. For near last, in fact, before he left.

She knew about his visits to Howard Enterprise at this point but had yet to ever join him. He hadn't exactly invited her. But he had never said she wasn't welcome to join him either. He had always just assumed that she had her own goals and agenda to attend to on her own time while he had his own. So it was a surprise to see her waiting outside the door of Mr. Howard's office today. The sun was shining bright now, as summer was present and it made her red hair shine prettily. He grinned at her as he parked his bike next to the door.

"Hey!" He greeted her as he pulled his bike up along the tall steel wall of the hanger. "Yknow, he locks that door ever since I started showing up. We have to walk round to the main entrance and get a visitors pass. Are you here to see what I get up to during my days?" He grinned infectiously and hopped off his bike, knocking the kickstand down. Despite Mr. Howard locking this door, it was still far easier to leave his trolley and tote down here and access it from the inside of the building than lug the box through the maze of hallways that was the main administrative building and through the hubbub of the hangar to get to Mr. Howard's tiny office that had a much much easier access. It was terribly inconvenient.

"Well." Kristie chuckled softly as she brushed her hair back off her shoulder. "I may have had another moment of curiosity. Figured I would join you instead of sneaking around this time." Her smile was still a hair sheepish but she was much more comfortable talking and joking about the incidents a few weeks ago since they had actually come to a pretty satisfying resolution. "A little walking is hardly going to kill me." She chuckled but was somewhat confused at Mr. Howard's behavior though. "Why would he start locking it when he started to get a regular visitor? It's not like it's stopped you from coming in obviously." She easily fell in step with him as they started making their way around the large building.

She wasn't entirely thrilled about going on the visitor list but she assumed if Matt had no problem with it she probably shouldn't be too concerned either. It was about then she realized that she had little idea what went on here aside from Matt's visit to the Mr. Howard. She made a mental note to do some research to see if it was some government facility or a rare privately funded one.

Matt greeted the secretary with a grin and introduced Kristie. She knew him by name now and after they had gotten their visitor badges and started on their way she could be heard behind them paging Mr. Howard to let him know of their presence in the building. As they wandered through the long industrial cooled corridors, Matt explained the building and it's purpose. "It's a privately funded and researched space center. They specialize in tourist style suborbital trips. Kinda like Virgin Galactic, but with more integrity. I made sure of that. It was...struggling before I came along. But that's what tipped me off to their integrity, yknow?"

"But... y'know a lot of space programs... almost all of them, are government funded. I didn't want any involvement in that. There's a few privately run places... places like this, but a lot of them still receive funding from big corporations to keep running. This place... doesn't... not really. Which was why they were struggling. They try to keep their business genuine. And as it turns out, the tourist thing is sort of a side project, in order to fund personal research by Mr. Howard himself. As it turns out, he's had some interest in some of the same things I have. He's been researching efforts to move away from rocket launching, for example. But his work's been mostly theoretical at this point." Matt talked, waving his hands all over the place, excited as could be. They passed a pair of security guards who asked to see their badges and ids, and then they entered the actual hangar, a massive building that was multiple stories high to accommodate the funny looking little space shuttle/ aeroplane the company used to let people go to "space" on their own personal dime. The hangar also accommodated many other large engineering projects and mechanical equipment.

Every time that Matt entered the hangar he felt a woosh of awe at simply being surrounded by things that left and came back to earth on a regular basis. He turned and grinned at Kristie, taking a deep breath. "It smells like...space. Mr. Howard is the only person, who even listened to me and hasn't kicked me out yet." He pointed at a small door at the very very far corner at the end, looking incredibly dwarfed in comparison to the vastness of the place. "His office is on that end."

Last edited by a moderator:
Kristie felt a lot better about the place once she had a better idea of what was going on around them. It also explained how he had become involved with them. "Well you are a bit crazy." She said with a cheeky grin. "However they also thought the same of pretty much every great mind of the past 2000 years so take that as you will. It seems to be a necessary component to progress." Though some grounding in reality was helpful, there was definitely at least one question she wanted to get in there and see if he had somehow just not thought of it or if he was willfully ignoring it. Either way it had been bugging her since he first mentioned his plans and it was going to come out eventually, friendship or no friendship. She was not one for coddling or pussyfooting around a subject unless it was related to her big secrets.

"That's nothing I haven't heard before," Matt said as he lead the way down the metal grated staircase to the main floor of the hangar. He glanced sheepishly at Kristie. "Don't touch anything." His expression said it all: That he'd been told not to touch anything, and had touched everything, not out of rebellion but out of pure curiosity and fascination. They crossed the large hangar, a bit like crossing from one side of a super Walmart to the other and Matt knocked on the door to Mr. Howard's office.

The door was opened by an attractive blond, he was hardly an inch taller than Matt but he had a very charming smile, which he flashed at Kristie while holding out his hand. "Hello," he greeted her. He spoke more slowly and was much much easier to understand than Matt was. "Dominic."

"Hmm?" Kristie raised an eyebrow at the sheepish warning before glancing around the hangar and immediately realizing where he was going with that. She could feel her currently nonexistent tail twitching in excitement and squeezed closer to Matt in the vain hope his presence would help restrain her need to explore every inch of the place. Walking across the hangar was like an invisible tug of war between the hangar and Matt with her in the middle and she was quite relieved once they reached their destination.

She was surprised to not be met with Mr. Howard at the door and took an extra moment to respond to Dominic. "Hey." She flashed a smile herself, taking his hand quite firmly as they shook. She was already noting a thousand things about his mannerisms and had to admit so far she liked him well enough. The fact he was blond and had a pretty face probably helped matters a bit. "I'm Kristie, Matt's friend and occasional nursemaid." She grinned at Matt teasingly, automatically glancing towards his hand as if just by a look she could tell how it was doing.

Dominic arched an eyebrow and laughed at Kristie's statement. He glanced at Matt as if to say 'You have friends?' but ushered Kristie into the office first, letting Matt follow behind. Matt immediately went to the outer door where he unlocked the multiple deadbolts, much like his own door at home, and disappeared outside to drag in his tote of papers and books. Dominic's office was not terribly large or well decorated. He had an office in the administrative building that looked much more impressive than this one, but this was where he did all his work. A large drafting table sat in the corner and large rolls of paper stood against it. He had calculators all over the office and one main computer with two large monitors for working. While Matt was outside, Dominic took advantage to murmur to Kristie that "He's crazy. I've literally had to rework my entire schedule around him because he's so damn persistent."

Matt huffed his way back in, struggling with the heavy tote, and feeling what was quickly becoming a normal strain in his hand whenever he used it with exertion. "I read all the papers you suggested!!" he bumbled excitedly. Dominic, who was the Mr. Howard shook his head in amazement and turned to Kristie again, "It's actually utterly amazing though. I give him stack of research papers equivalent of a graduate student for a one semester course and he eats them up in a week. And somehow retains it!"

"Except the math parts," Matt said, wrinkling his nose.

Kristie would have insisted on carrying the tote herself, had she not been slightly distracted. She had pretty much been sleeping, or at least pretending to sleep, pretty much the entire time the last time they had met. With the way Matt spoke of him she expected some wrinkled grey-beard professor, and then the door had opened to decidedly the opposite. So she forgot all about the need for the tote. "I would believe it." She said with a chuckle and grinned at the other man. At least until Matt came in struggling, at which point she made an exasperated noise and darted over, taking the tote from Matt and giving him a dirty look. "You're supposed to be taking it easy with that hand!" She dropped the tote in the indicated area.

"Honestly…" She muttered under her breath, crossing her arms but seeming to turn all cheerful again as she turned back to Dominic. "The problem is, he forgets about things like sleeping, eating and really has nothing better to do with his day than devour papers for his obsession." Her mother hen attitude was coming out a bit. She was all for educating yourself but she was also fairly fond of eating, if not sleeping, and various other creature comforts. Of course she had also past the point in her life when she was desperately learning everything she could to get ahead.

Dominic chuckled and cast Kristie another look that said he was appreciative that someone else understood exactly what he had to put up with when it came to Matt. He flashed her another charming smile. Despite his line of work and his workaholic status, he could be quite the flirt when he wanted to be. It was his charismatic personality that had brought him success in this line of work anyway. Customers and vendors felt at ease around him, and that was important when you were dealing with extremely large amounts of money. It was probably also part of what had attracted Matt to him, to a bit of his annoyance. For reasons he had yet to be able to explain to himself, he hadn't completely turned Matt away yet. Maybe it was because he considered that rude. Especially since while Matt was quite strange, he wasn't really harmful to anyone. And he did share a passion for space and rockets. Despite the whole crazy notion that he would be traveling anywhere outside of Earth.

"Oy!" Matt exclaimed loudly at Kristie's words, despite the truth behind them. "I take care of myself just fine," he muttered. "And stop mothering me." He moved toward the computer and started wiggling the mouse, trying to pull up some of the work he and Mr. Howard had been working on. Dominic shifted wordlessly over to him and removed his hand from the mouse, guiding him away from the computer.

"You know that astronauts have to be in peak physical condition, right?" Dominic asked Matt. He winked at Kristie.

Kristie had to keep smiling brightly or else she might just start blushing a bit. She was fairly sure that Matt had at no point mentioned that Dominic was quite so…charming. In both the 'making an effort to be' and 'just is' sort of way. She found herself liking him rather a lot, rather quickly, and just as quickly told herself to stop it.

She made a point to try and mostly focus on Matt instead, as he fell safely in the 'quirky and adorable but relatively harmless in that area' category for her. "Your idea of taking care of yourself just fine is best left to the imagination." She wrinkled her nose at him. In the beginning she had done her best to curtail her motherly (and just teasing in general) instincts. As she had gotten more familiar with him though, she mostly didn't bother. The guilt was fading away as her occasionally overbearing personality couldn't really sustain it for long, especially over such minor incidents. Matt had pretty much gotten himself stabbed after all; her kids would have handled the situation just fine without him doing that.

She almost got lost in reminiscing, but then she heard the words of what she sure was going to be at least a bit of an argument between Dominic and Matt. She tried not to think about how her mind liked to roll over the name Dominic either. She raised an eyebrow at the wink, giving him a 'and just what are you up to?' sort of expression.

"I am in peak physical condition," Matt protested with a pout. "Plus, I'm not going to be an astronaut anyway. That would mean I would have to go all that rigorous government testing and stuff which is a sure way to wave a little red flag at them aaayooo look at meee!" he mimicked waving a small flag. "I'll just be a space man."

"Under my rules you would be going through all necessary requirements for an astronaut to go through whether you would like it or not," Dominic argued firmly, folding his arms across his chest. That would be assuming Matt would be going on such a ridiculous mission. Which he would most certainly not be. "So why did you bring your friend here?" he asked curiously, looking at Kristie again with kind gray eyes. "Would you like a tour?"

Kristie had to press a hand over her mouth to suppress her snicker at Matt's rebuttal. He was most certainly not in peak physical condition, scrawny little thing that he was. She always wanted to feed him as well. It was a relief that at least Dominic was being sensible about this whole thing. It made her feel better about his involvement in the project so perhaps he could reign in Matt a little and it just overall was another point in her favorable estimation of him.

"I invited myself." Kristie said firmly before Matt could answer. "He seems to spend almost as much time here as at his house so I figured I would see what all the fuss was about." There was just a hint of something in voice or face that indicated her skepticism on this project as well. Or at least on how Matt thought it was going to play out. Once again she had the feeling of cat parts that weren't really there at the moment perking up at the rest of what he said though. "I would love a tour!" She said perhaps a little too enthusiastically. Even if she probably would be able to touch anything just being able to get up close to it…yes she was far too excited about the prospect. "If it wouldn't be a bother of course." She added, trying to reign herself in a little.

"It's most certainly not a bother," Dominic said with another charming smile before Matt could issue any more protests. "He held the door open for Kristie and gestured for her to go back out into the hangar. Matt pouted briefly but trailed along, never really feeling like he could get enough of the fascinating things in the hangar.

The first place Dominic took Kristie was the aeroplane, their main shuttle craft. "Her name's Christina," he laughed. "Kind of like you, I swear that's just a coincidence. She seats twelve people. And really it's just a fancy airplane. She flies up a lot higher than any other airplane though, but she takes off on a runway and lands on a runway just like they do. You get up into the ionosphere, so technically, you are in space. Usually she'll stay up there for about twelve minutes or so, and then she'll come back down. The come down is where you experience the no gravity part. It's really more of a simulated no gravity situation than an actual one. Kind of like when you are on a roller coaster on the first drop, you feel weightless," he explained. "We still get customers who want to actually go into orbit. I'm hoping in the future we can get something like that. I want to find a more guaranteed safe way of doing it though, because it can be very dangerous. And then we've got this one," he jabbed a thumb back towards Matt, who had wandered off to talk with Chris, Christina's pilot and actual certified astronaut.

"He is very involved here though. He helps a lot and has actually made some very insightful suggestions. I really ought to pay him for the contributions he's given us scientifically. Not that he needs it." Dominic was the only other person who was aware of Matt's computer set up, which was admittedly, very genius, if he could even half understand it, which he could not.

Kristie forced herself to hold at least a semi-sedate pace out the door, though all she really wanted to do was run in and crawl around everything. That probably would not be very appreciated. It was a testament to just how well Dominic threw around his charisma that she was actually having a bit of a hard time because she felt the need to split her attention between him and the ship when she probably would have tuned out anyone else. "Christina…" She murmured, slightly amused. She was especially fond of her name, as she had chosen it herself.

She was rather fascinated by his explanation and found herself pondering the idea of doing it herself. An idea which she immediately shot down because she had far more important things to spend her money on but it was tempting. It also would give her a reason to be around here more often, as if Matt coming here practically every day wasn't enough. "Well at least he is doing something productive while he is chasing around his pipe dream." She couldn't help but mutter, before smiling sheepishly at Dominic. "I've only known him for a short time and I can find him exhausting and hard to keep up with, I'm impressed you've been able to do so for so long." She was fond of Matt, and even perhaps a little protective of him, but he had oodles of energy to fuel his obsession. She also had to really focus on and think about what he was saying, which was becoming easier but she didn't notice how much focus it required until she talked with someone who didn't do that. "How long have you been doing all this anyway?" She gestured around the hangar with an admiring look.

"Well I got through with my doctorates in engineering when I was 24... which was pretty early. I pushed through all of that pretty fast," Dominic tapped his temple. "Smart. But not like that one," another gesture towards Matt. "I'm better with the technical stuff though. The math. His grasp of the theoretical is amazing though. Most of math is. Theoretical, you know. The complicated stuff. A lot of physics is too. Anyway. I worked with the Russian space program for awhile. In a lot of ways they're quite a bit more advanced than NASA is. At least they receive more funding. But at the same time... it's Russia... y'know... I got out of there pretty quick. I was not comfortable with the direction some of the tasks they asked of me were going. Very militant. So I'm doing this now. It's a good balance and we can run things at our own pace here. Let's see I did the Russian space program for two years... Been doing this for ten... has it been ten years? Gosh. It has," he smiled again, not looking at all the thirty six years of age that he was.

He popped the hatch open on Christina and rolled a steel ladder over so they could climb in. "She really does look like a regular plane on the inside." Except for the prominent oxygen masks and the six point seat belts. Dominic gestured for Kristie to climb the ladder first. "Do you want to see?"

Kristie was definitely running into some issues and having to tell herself that she in no way should be going after any man and trying to nip the problem in the bud. Easier said than done when things like 'doctorate', 'engineering' and '24' came up in the same sentence though. She couldn't quite believe he'd been at it for so long either. It was a relief to find out he wasn't a baby like Matt was though. She had taken him for older and had been quite shocked to realize Matt was a good 8 years younger than she was.

Anyway, she was trying not to think how cute he was rambling on like that. At a pace she could understand easily. Once again nonexistent ears perked up as he opened the hatch on Christina and she was already halfway up the ladder before he had even started the invitation. She scrambled inside and proceeded to give everything a quick but thorough going over before coming back up to Dominic with hopefully wide blue eyes. "She's beautiful, can I see the cockpit too?" That was what she was really interested in. If he let her she would take off the panel and examine the computer under it. Which he almost certainly wouldn't but she could dream.

"The cockpit is really Chris's area of expertise, but I'm sure it'd be fine if you take a peek," Dominic gestured, to let her through the small entrance, moving out of her way to give her room in the cramped space.

Upon seeing that Kristie and Mr. Howard had gone into the plane, Matt had raced to join them, always fascinated by the whole thing and his only experience of being inside a 'spaceship'. Of course he touched everything and had even sat himself in one of the seats and buckled himself in for no real apparent reason except that he wanted to. When it came to Christina, Matt became like a child. She was by and large his favorite object in the entire building, save for perhaps Mr. Howard's drafting folder, which contained many theoretical drawings of things like centrifuges and non rocket launchers.

"I wanna look too!" he said, struggling out of the six point seatbelt and hurrying to poke his head in the cockpit too, despite having seen it before. He wanted to see what Kristie thought of it. Dominic sighed and stepped back outside on to the ladder.

Kristie practically lit up with excitement and quickly slipped past Dominic, stopping just inside to take a quick overall look at what was going on. Though she was quite experienced with computers it was a lot of confusing buttons and switches even for her. She started with the ones higher up on the edges of cockpit ceiling, not actually flipping any of them though she really really wanted to. The long she ran her hands over the dashboard and muttered to herself the more it seemed like she was mapping the entire control board out in her head, if not the computer and wires behind it.

She vaguely waved Matt off as he poked his head in. "I'm concentrating. And there's no room." She was obviously quite fascinated and enjoying herself.

"Well you don't have to be rude about it," Matt muttered, but didn't back out and continued to peer over her shoulder. "What are you doing? Are you gonna try and hack it? Or you could use it to build an actual space ship!!" he crowed before backing out and giving her space. He stepped down the ladder, passing Mr. Howard and waited at the bottom, fidgeting impatiently. Not that he had to join on the tour, of course. But all of his main work was with Mr. Howard, and he would otherwise be loitering around, not working on something, which he hated.

"We have things to do come onnnn," he whined a bit, to which Dominic shushed him by waving a hand. "I took time out of my day to show you around too, you know. Be patient," he said, knowing full well that Matt had absolutely no tolerance for patience at all.

Kristie rolled her eyes at his suggestions. What would she even do with hacking it, enjoy the ride by proxy? Possibly mess up some important system while they were in flight? Definitely not. The idea of taking what she learned here and trying to make something else (she didn't really want a space ship) out of it was something she had considered though. She was good with the software part of computers but her real specialty was the hardware area and she loved building things.

Finally, after what seemed like at least a half hour Kristie dragged herself out of the ship, practically glowing with excitement still. "It's wonderful." She explained happily. "I'm really impressed by the wiring and set up in there." She gave Dominic a warm smile. "Thanks for letting me in there. What's next?" She almost purred the last bit, despite herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.