Cascade Falls [Arc I]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The night had an air of danger that drifted above the party. It was the night that brought anxiety to everybody in the town. James yearned to clutch onto his wine glass tighter, yet he would've destroyed the glass. He looked back over at Casey, sparing her a mere glance. "Well, I won't be able to introduce myself any other time," He started. Before leaving, he patted Laura on the top of her head. The action implied, good luck, she was never the best at keeping up conversations - not anymore she was. He walked towards the group of people who Casey was in. He remembered the faces that spoke with the newcomer. Their names were blurry in his mind.

The names were on the tip of his tongue, but it was too late for him to take his sweet time deciphering names. He entered the group smoothly, not intruding abruptly. "I hope I'm not bothering you guys." He smiled at them all. It was then where the names came to him; Riley, Elena, and Allison. The faces that he see's through the antique's window. The party forced him to reconsider his antisocial behavior. His constant residence in the antique store, only once a while would he walk out and exchange a few words, at the smallest talk.

"I simply decided to introduce myself to, Casey, right?" He spoke in an uncertain tone. He paused a moment to let her either correct him or reassure him. "Well, I'm James Barden and that blonde girl over there," He gesticulated over to his sister. "Is my sister, Laura. We watch over the antique store." He said. "But other than that, how's everybody else?" He strung along everybody else. It felt rather odd introducing himself to somebody in front of everybody else. However, he was just glad he was able to introduce himself to the newcomer. It made up for the lack of communication he failed to do over the past seven years.

It was a few seconds after James left to introduce himself to the new girl. The conversation began and Laura was the catcher. "The antique store?" He restated the question, giving herself a second to conjure up a proper response. "Um," The consonant was prolonged. "Well, I guess it's going well," She mustered out. "There really isn't much to say to be honest. It's just an enticing place for dust." She let out a dry chuckle. Her icy blue orbs caught a hand motion from the sheriff. It quickened her heartbeat, skipped on beat and her breathing grew heavy. She turned her attention to the direction the sheriff was directing towards. It was just another man.

The man entered the conversation with a short introduction. Laura smiled thinly at the man and nodded. The conversation was occupied with small talk. Laura blamed it on herself, she recalled the days where she was able to hold up a conversation for hours. The town changed her to become somebody she hated. A quiet and reserved woman who loathed the idea of the town. The seven years of being isolated with her brother had her become a hermit crab in the quaint society of Cascade Falls.

The next victim who entered the conversations was Jean. The unbearable small talk and long awkward silence was torturous to Laura. She prayed that Jean was someone who could brighten up the group. A bowl of crumble was graciously handed to Laura. She was reluctant to take one, glancing over at the two men wondering if they were also going to indulge in sweetness. She took a piece and brought it to her lips. Before consuming the sweet piece, she pulled it away from her mouth when Jean spoke. "Oh, yeah," She shook her head lightly. "It should be us thanking you Jean, for it's the first time James and I have been out." She looked over at James from the other group.

"We barely get to speak with people, so this is great." She gave the woman a smile and a ginger nod of the head. Laura placed the piece of crumble in her mouth and chewed slowly. It was sweet but not overbearing, it was just right. "So," She spoke up a bit louder. With the alcohol slowly infusing with her brain, there was a boost of confidence given to her. "Has anything new happened with you guys?" It was a poor attempt of a conversation, and she was well-aware of it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
It may have been painted under pleasantries, but the "No." resounded like gunfire in his ears and Sammy tensed, chin tucking incrementally as he pulled the journal ever so slightly closer. For a moment there was something dangerous there, a coiled snake prepared to strike, and he could feel a foreign itch in his skin, bustling and burning to reach out and wrap a hand around that wrinkled throat--wrench it sideways in the same gut-twisting crack that put pause into a monster's grasping, put pain and distress into its eyes. He'd done it before, he'd felt a pulse beating fast and desperate against his fingers, and he'd been crying, shaking to his core but it was life or death and he chose it, he chose to stay alive...and how far was that from this? This man was no better than the freaks that wandered outside, that prowled with their cadaverous backs arched and their eyes burning to feed to feed to feed to feed--this man was just as bad, another hungry, desperate soul clawing to live out what pitiful excuse of a life it had left...he was no better than them...

It boiled in him, the sudden urge to put a stop to the man before him in one blistering moment, and the anger rose fresh and wild in his eyes, muscles tensing as though he would act upon those urges, before, as abruptly as the fury had risen, he dashed it, shoulders slumping in a defeated line. If Howard--a man striving to protect his flock, to hide them from the nightmare just outside that gate--was no better than those shambling creatures, then he was worse. The fire burnt out easily from his eyes as he turned away, letting his gaze drift from the doctor to the floor tiles where they stayed, locked onto the grit between them as his fingers loosened their hold and, only shaking slightly, he offered it to the nurse who's arrival he had only barely noticed. "Yeah, o-okay. That sounds fine." A weak smile slid into place, but though he looked up to glance at Norma, giving her as light an expression as he could, the idea of another hand laying on his journal made him sick to the stomach. He looked away to hide the bitterness, quirking his jaw to the side hard enough that it hurt.

Only after he'd gained his composure back, several beats later, did he nod to the idea of a bath, nodding again with more strength as the idea took. He got to his feet slowly, sliding the bag up onto his shoulder, and for a moment the weight, changed, bothered him enough to pause before, with a shaky sigh, he forced himself to imagine the journal was safely at his back, and he took a step forward, he strides growing steady as he blatantly ignored the weathered book in Norma's hands. He neglected, with an oddly spiteful purpose, mentioning the finds he had so eagerly crowed about those months ago, and the weight of knowledge shifting in the bag gave him some bittersweet sense of solidarity. At the very least, he decided as he shifted his weight absently, looking between the two and very very desperate for a bath that wasn't in a hospital wing, it wouldn't hurt to...wait a few more days. It wasn't like it was critical information...and surely...it would be okay to copy it first.

"Don't suppose there's any chance a bath would be at home, would it?" He asked at last, sheepish and a bit anxious at the same time--he wanted to be home in his house where there were no more people and he could be quiet and still for a moment; he'd had enough excitement for the day and to be quite frank, he wanted to blow off some steam where he didn't think he was going to break something. "I mean, no offense but I've had my fill of quick washes and cold water and this place smells so sterile and clean its kinda freaking me out. Bit of a..." he rubbed the back of his neck, smiling apologetically, "...well it doesn't smell right to me, right now."

• Love
Reactions: 1 person

Elena laughed at Riley's response, oh did it feel good to have one up the other man, not that it got to him, as he demonstrated by flawlessly returning the banter, eliciting a low laugh from the redhead. Riley was much like a flame, she thought to herself as she crossed her arms, fighting off shivers and doing her best to protect her frame against the night's chills. It wasn't too cold, and the alcohol she had drank earlier definitely helped a bit, keeping her mind off the cold, but still, Elena was warmed by the mere gesture itself, a familiar position she held, one that almost ensured her total control as her mind worked quickly, coming up with a response to continue the playful act, the oddly familiar play that she had once been part of.

"A lady performer?" Elena questioned, skillfully morphing her expression to that of someone who was very interested. Of course, the redhead wasn't someone who shallowly chased after skirts, but it was fun to play the role, especially while everyone present knew that the redhead would seldom act upon any desire, let alone voice it. There was so much more to be sad, to be shared with, a simple fancy just wouldn't be important enough, not enough to ground her mind, to keep her sane. The whole acting though? Now that was something she took comfort in. The face expressions, the body language, even the very lines and the other players were all similar, almost enough to completely pull her mind under and pretend this was just another night at another unnamed, forgotten, club.

At Casey's suggestion, Elena nodded quickly, her expression brightening up, "That would be amazing you know, you should definitely do so," she urged. Although she and Vicky had their fun giggling and laughing, none could deny the soulful songs, hums, that Riley could deliver, perhaps it would change to fit alongside the party atmosphere, but surely, Riley could pull something to match the mood! Deep down, most of the residents probably had a little something-something with Riley's songs, and what better way to celebrate what felt like another year, an anniversary of sorts, of being stuck in here than blacking out with some good strong shit, and great music to boot? "I can't guarantee anything about being the hype man, but I'm sure the crowd can handle you, super star," she teased.

As Elena turned her head, her hand coming up to toss her hair over her shoulder, she caught sight of the new guests. Two odd faces that she just couldn't put a name on, and with that, Elena decided, it was definitely time to stop all drinks for the night. It was pretty sad for someone who worked with people to forget the names of ... what a few hundred, four hundred tops? They looked about her age too, what an utter embarrassment, for her that is.

Turning away, so she wasn't caught staring awkwardly by the pair, or worse, the Sheriff, Elena easily eased herself back into the false comfort of the conversation around her. Thankfully nothing awkward had happened as James - she remembered as he introduced himself - came over, leaving behind the blonde back with the Sheriff and Josh. Elena nodded in greeting, her lips pulled into a loose smile, one that didn't particularly spell anything, an indifferent but polite expression now. She allowed a pause for Casey to answer, but also took the time to breath, allowing herself to get used to the change in the air, the shift in emotions and tensions once more.

Quietly she spoke up, "It's been a while since I've made my way down at the Antique Store ... my apologies, I didn't mean to say that I've forgotten or anything," seeing as she was digging herself into a really deep and embarrassing hole at a quick rate, Elena retracted, "it's rare to see you and Laura out, how are the two of you these days?" she asked, doing her absolute best to ignore the voice in her head that sighed, and the other that laughed at her own lack of tact.

That dangerous look in Sampson's eyes was not at all foreign. Howard had seen it dozens of times on scores of different men and women; it was the way the majority of group A had looked at him, their confusion immediately turning to hatred in a split second. As the old man sat there across from his lone nomad, the boy he'd sent to die just for having the nerve to still exist, Howard thought he might be in real danger. He waited for a long moment, dark eyes watching as Sampson struggled like a spoiled child over the notion of being denied. Even if Howard was at all diplomatic, that journal could never, under no circumstances, make it into the valley.

By some sweet twist of fate, Sampson seemed to have come to his senses and handed the wrecked journal over to Norma. The thought of a bath, of feeling human again, must have triggered something within the young man and Howard was happy for one less fire to put out. Standing and ready to return to his office with the book for the night, Sampson mentioned something that required a second or two of pause. Howard furrowed his brow, unsure of why the boy thought he still had a home after such a long time. "You have to understand," he began, ready to cover his tracks, "after a year or two, we didn't think you were coming back." Some of Sampson's things were in storage, but his house had been reassigned.

"But we can find a place for you tonight," he added quickly and then looked to Norma. "Put him in one of the apartments on Main—that will do until we can find something more suitable."

Walking a wild-looking man through town was Norma's problem now, and Howard bid both of them goodnight before making his leave with the journal.

Sometimes, Casey had no clue how to pace herself. When she was nervous, she drank to relax, when she was upset, she drank to forget but now, with so many eyes on her and the sheriff right across the deck, she drank to give herself something to do. The people around here were appealing, funny and smart and Casey wanted nothing more than to get lost in everything they were saying, just focus on the bar's upcoming party and laugh along with Elena's jokes, or ease Alison's worries about being stuck in the grocery store forever. Anxiety always stopped her, though, the fear of the phone ringing, of having the night ruined by her own fête.

The sudden appearance of the man who had previously been at Eric's side drew Casey back to reality and away from a premature death. "Yeah, that's me," she said automatically, putting a smile on her face as she looked toward the other blonde James had come in with. He had an intense look about him despite how easily he talked and integrated himself within their already formed cluster. Casey had to envy his smoothness, but she couldn't figure out why he wanted to meet her specifically. Compared to everyone else in town, she was more or less a nobody.

Taking another drink from her glass, Casey wondered how much action the antique shop saw on a daily basis. At least there were always people at the coffee house, some kind of human interaction outside of Lee. "I've never been in," she admitted apologetically, "then again, I haven't lived here long. There's a lot of shops I've never visited." Always being spied on tended to extinguish any sense of adventure and while Casey may have wanted to explore the town, she tended to stick with the safe places she already knew.

The reappearance of Jean was rather sudden, but Eric wasn't surprised to see her hands full of crumble, continuing to play the role of good hostess that she had been cultivating for years. He didn't miss the grateful smile on her face, a look that he assumed was directed at him for answering the door and letting the Barden's in while she had been occupied. With a slight nod, Eric returned the expression, glad that she hadn't been offended by his initiative. In a town so void of privacy, it was difficult to tell what actions could rub a person the wrong way and Eric hadn't wanted to put himself on Jean's bad side.

Laura's attempt at conversation drew a dry laugh from Eric. Nothing new ever happened in town, that was the depressing point of the whole place. "I saw a deer the other day when I was driving around town for an hour," he said, "is that new or just boring?" For whoever was listening and watching, Eric was sure that he was going to get a phone call in the morning, something remind him of his manners and the example he was supposed to set for the town. "What about the rest of you?" he asked, "weekend plans? Gonna get away for a while?"

Living a lie was just exhausting, an act that got to be too much at the worst times. Before he could talk himself into an early grave, Eric shut up and looked around at the others.

Norma could feel herself glaring at Howard as he walked away, her now empty fingers curled into a tight fist, a show of defiance that was rarely seen from the woman. The last several years had been hard on their relationship, taking their bond of friendship somewhere toxic and into hostile territory where Norma was now nothing more than a lackey, the same as everyone else in the mountain. She continued to watch him, still staring as his form disappeared out of sight, around a corner and toward the exit, back to the mountain with Sammy's book of secrets from the real world. Sometimes, she thought this valley was going to drive them all crazy.

"There's a few apartments available," she said, snapping back into a helpful place. "All with running water and I'll make sure to have someone stock your fridge." Placing her hand on the younger man's back, she gave him a guiding nudge in the right direction and the two began to walk, taking a different route than Howard had. "I think we still have some of your things," she mentioned, as if that were going to brighten his day any.

He inclined his head politely as Jean distributed the crumble, ignoring the faint but nonetheless nagging tingle of his nerves warning him from social interaction. A charmer with language Josh was not, and especially not when he had neither pen nor keyboard at his disposal. He tended to delve too deep into things, turning little actions and words into things that meant more - to him - than their originators might have intended. It was a bit like literature: a single sentence, a paragraph, motifs...it could all mean something, everything...or nothing at all. And now, in spite of the smell of crumble lingering so temptingly about him, he wished nothing more than to be taken back to the library where he could somehow feel the crinkle of paper beneath his fingertips, and to run those same fingertips along the fractured spines of books in their shelves. To blow delicately away the films of dust that no doubt gathered atop their pages.

But he was not at the library. He was at Jean's, and Eric had given him an opening into a conversation. But after that brief introduction, whatever else he'd planned to say seemed to wither into nothing, prompting his gaze to seek the sheriff for assistance. That uncertainty showed plain in his posture, try as he might to conceal it through the deliberate sagging of his shoulders. But it was easy to make out that his shoulders were held in far too tense a manner, his lips pressed tight when he wasn't speaking. And most of all, the way his brief, offered smile failed to crinkle the edges of his eyes. A smile which seemed to match the one the girl returned. Thin, forced. But perhaps this town had made monsters of them all, whether it was because others perceived you as one, or if you perceived yourself. The hidden power here was doing a splendid job at polluting the air with suspicion, though said suspicion was now temporarily disguised with a cloak of sweet pastry's aroma.

He didn't blame Laura for her attempt at continuing the conversation, for he too loathed the small talk. It was only unfortunate that such small talk was necessary in order to continue the elaborate work of fiction which was their lives in Cascade Falls. The perfect town, with its perfect people. It had seemed perfect to the man ten years ago who'd craved escapism. Oh, had he jumped at the opportunity to erase the mistakes of his past, like turning one of his novels to tear away the chapters before. He could become a new man, pretend he'd never had his struggle with alcoholism or his divorce, or anything which lowered his quality as a human being. It had taken him years to realize the truth of this place and how like a gilded cage it trapped those within. But by then, he'd learned to surrender his rights to privacy and to keep silent.

Trawling through his head for the appropriate response, he soon found a natural one in his response to Eric's comment about the deer: a low chuckle accompanied by a mild smirk. "Well, you learn to appreciate the small things." He clapped his friend on the shoulder, his statement - although seeming a jest - meaning more to him than one could detect. His brows shot right up, however, when Eric brought up the matter of weekend plans, reminding him of how he often spent his weekends by himself, holing up in his house where he wasted whatever "free" time he had scribbling in his journals about the sunrise, the seasons...and maybe the occasional deer. Never anything that would alert the powers-that-be to his now burning loathing of this place. "If by 'get away' you mean sleep, then yeah." He shrugged. "Or I might go spend some time with my critters. Part of the job." Animals didn't feed themselves, and somehow he'd learned to find a certain strange kinship with the creatures.

• Love
Reactions: neptune and Muirgen

Riley was taken aback by Casey's fascination with his possibly playing music for the party, realizing the little hole Elena had dug for him. He was an okay singer, but he didn't have much of a way with words. He felt most comfortable just hitting the notes on an acoustic guitar and having to convey a feeling without words. It would have also been worth noting that his songs were more likely to bring everybody's mood down rather than up, but seeing how lit up Casey was, telling her any of that was impossible. He quickly shot Elena a playfully annoyed glare before answering Casey's inquiry of whether he would sing. "Umm…, I don't know. How much you willing to pay?" he asked in jest.

As they continued to persuade him to play, he found himself somewhat enjoying the attention, though he wasn't very confident in his ability to play. Playing one song before the main attraction wasn't unreasonable either. He didn't imagine that his boss would mind. He just needed to come up with something that wasn't so gloomy for once. I guess I have some work to do tonight, he thought. "Warm up?" he began. "Yea, I can manage that," he replied as he nodded. "But if I hear giggling, they'll have to do some back-up singing," he added with a chuckle, recalling his co-workers antics earlier.

He shifted his attention to the Barden's, who came over to introduce themselves to Casey. "I'm Riley. Nice to meet you two," he said jokingly, for they were already acquainted. Though the antique store didn't have many visitors, Riley was one of them. The past was something he often actively tried to avoid, but he was also paradoxically drawn to it like light to a fly. He seldom bought anything, but he'd look around and let his mind wander through the past as some of the objects compelled him to do. Sometimes it was therapeutic, but more often than not he was just torturing himself in the weirdest way possible, always having to resist the urge to say something about an object with regards to the past, knowing it was against the rules.

"Josh? How'd you manage to not say hi this entire time?" Riley said to the frequent bar-goer with a smile as he walked over to him. He often wondered how such a good-looking man ended up becoming so reserved, but he supposed maybe the town made him that way, as it seemed to do with many others. "How you doing, buddy? You know what's going on tomorrow night, right? I saved one of our bottles for you," he said before furrowing his brow toward Eric's curiosity for their weekend plans. Gonna get away for a while? It sounded similar to some of the really dark jokes Riley had to avoid telling when he was plastered. The ones that shoved the fact that they were all trapped right in their faces. A trip to the fence sounds nice, Riley thought sarcastically. That Eric would say something like that perplexed him, but Josh seemed unaffected and easily answered.

"You seem tired, sheriff. You okay?" Riley asked, sounding as genuine as anybody could have possibly sounded, but he had a feeling that Eric was acutely aware of the dishonesty that dripped from his words, and for that he was satisfied.

Last edited by a moderator:
He chuckled dryly. He took no offense to either Casey and Elena's lack of visitation. The antique store wasn't popular and he knew that very well. It was just a front like everywhere else. He didn't feel too comfortable going inside the bar. It was too risky, the alcohol will infuse with one's brain and loosen a man's lips. Everything he knows about the town will fall from his lips. The coffee shop had nothing for him to devour. Coffee was something he never had a taste for nor was small pastry was a favorite of his. He enjoyed the simple bread and milk. Simplistic and neat, it was odd, but nothing concerning.

"Well, that's quite fine. The antique store is not something people go to."

"Its just another cover-up..." He thought to himself in spite. "But, of course, everybody is invited to come in and hopefully pick something out." He laughed softly. The dust built up over time and the lack of care either sibling gave to the pieces were absurd. He believed that they have broken things in the antique store and have never bothered fixing them. No one ever comes, they all find it too triggering. One thing could suddenly bring up unwanted memories from the past. It started off like that for the Barden's. A simple painting of a man and a wife caught James off guard. He began to sob uncontrollably and was sent to speak with a psychiatrist.

Maybe if the Doctor Stuarts sweet talk overcame Laura's words, maybe he would've been the perfect citizen the Doctor wanted. James let out another chuckle at Riley's jest. "Well, it's a pleasure to meet you too." The man went along with the joke. He was acquainted with the man a while ago. He couldn't recall when, all memories from Cascade Falls were irrelevant to him.
The conversation was not as vigorous as it should be, but it will do. She only wanted to stay here for a while, see who was new, what was new. It seemed only one thing has changed. It was a bore, she wanted to do something lively. She plucked out a memory from her mind and replayed it. How long was it when she held onto a shotgun? The loud bang when she pulled the trigger? The victorious feeling when the animal was shot down? Not long enough. Laura took one large gulp of her drink. Her sweet memory led to something dark, something only alcohol could fix.

She raised her brow, "Aren't they flourishing here?" She inquired. Get-away? Plans? Sounds too similar to the outside world. Just a daily grim reminder that this was hell and she was destined for damnation in Cascade Falls. "Maybe hunt for some deer." She half-joked about it. She needed to do something that deviated from her 'new' life. She looked at Josh when he spoke. She was envious of him - to work with animals. She pondered how long it has been since she has done any farm work with James? She brought the glass to her lips but looked to see it was empty. Laura was unable to realize that the alcohol was beginning to infuse with her sanity. The woman held onto her memories tightly, never let them slip.

Another person entered the conversation. It seemed that they have all conjugated in this large circle. She mustered up a smile and acknowledged Riley. "Hey, Riley, good to see you." She nodded, rubbing her arm awkwardly. She looked up into the sky and there was a soft wind that blew against her. She had goose bumps, it was cold. She was the type to get cold easily. Laura waited for the time to slip away from the conversation to her brother's. Hiding in the antique store kept her hidden. Cascade Falls wasn't a place for her, neither was it a place for her brother. "Excuse me," She said, leaving the group and tapped on her brother's shoulder.

"Hey, Laura," He said with a big smile on his face. She had a facial expression that wanted to run, run away, but it was concealed with a smile. "Oh," He said. He looked around, there was no sign of danger, nor was Norma or Doctor Stuart were around. He had a confused countenance on his face. She persisted with a nudge. By this they gave off a strange vibe, oh no, they were the weird siblings. James sighed softly, "Well, I suppose it's time for our departure." He smiled waving at the group.

The two siblings walked out of the house and onto the sidewalks. There were people still outside, strange people. Night at Cascade Falls was dangerous, it only grows more dangerous when you see a black bob haircut walking down the streets. The Barden's decided it's best to be kept inconspicuous; it was what they were good at.

With the departure of the Barden's, Riley considered that it was probably time for him to call it a night as well. He always hated having to leave a pleasant gathering, but he knew the following day was going to be long and he still needed to prepare something to play. At least I wasn't the first to go, he thought. With a warm smile he thanked Jean for having him and complimented her cooking once more. He exchanged smiles, hugs and laughs with the rest as he said his good byes before beginning his lonely walk back to his apartment. The night was dark and carried a nice summer breeze. His smile slowly faded the closer he got to home, the wine losing what minor effect it had and the having to resume his life in the town alone, struggling to sleep every night.

He entered his apartment, locked the door behind him and turned on the lights. It was a small, but comfy space. He didn't need much. There was a little bar he built out of wood, mainly for when he had company, which he wished he had more often. He'd talk and make them drinks as if they were at the bar, minus all the noise. He never thought he'd be serving people for all these years, let alone end up enjoying it to the degree he did. Something in making other people feel comfortable and pleased brought him satisfaction. He could see why Jean so often hosted those get-togethers.

After pouring himself a drink, he grabbed his acoustic guitar and sat down on a couch, playing around with notes and playing old songs. The chords carried memories both good and bad, but the remembering is why he seldom played since he came to the town. Unwilling to let it defeat him, he kept on. It was about time he found a way to live in the town without having to numb himself with alcohol, he told himself, but the emotions began to swell and he felt a pain in the right side of his head. "It was all your fault." He heard his dead brother's voice clear as day and stopped moving instantly. His heart skipped a beat. He swallowed hard and attempted to continue playing with slightly trembling fingers.

Every single song he had ever written, he realized, was about the past in some way. They were always about something lost or wishing he could have done something to change the past. The song he played at the bar earlier was the one exception, but in the context of the present, it took on a different meaning. It was a moment he wanted to return to (his first meeting his ex-wife), and he couldn't. He could play another song about the past tomorrow and nobody would know, but he would have failed. He had been thinking about Cassie all day and it rendered him incapable of fully celebrating the present.

So, he played and thought about his life in the town. He thought about Casey and Jean's parties. He thought about the bar. He thought about Elena and Josh. He thought Lee, Alison and the Barden's. He even thought about Eric and thought, as objectively as he could, that he might've been friends with him if they were in Boston. But they weren't and he wanted to take a swing at him some day, if he could get away with it, and that was okay. It made him feel better. He laughed softly and played until he couldn't anymore.

"Cheers!" Riley said as he handed two beers to a couple, immediately being approached by another customer. It was busy and the darker it got the more would come into the bar as the townies were relieved of their work duties. With the traffic they were expecting, even Peter and David were helping out with taking everybody's orders. The sun was still out, though quickly setting. As he poured the next customer's beer, he looked around at the people socializing, playing pool and darts, with a tiny smile on his face, hoping to eventually see somebody from the night before. He muttered the lyrics to his new song as he worked, making sure he had it down before he would be performing. It helped that the song was relatively simple. It also helped that he felt good about it.

There hadn't been time for berry picking in the end. In a town with limited things to do and not all that much to fill one's days it all seemed to line up to conspire against their impromptu harvest. There was an inopportune collapse of a book shelf that set some of her carefully arranged books tumbling to the floor. The fall also stirred up the dust that should not have been there, yet was. It was a mess to clean up and as she found new homes for the books pending the repair of the shelf she grew increasingly frustrated and aggravated, sweaty as well.

By the time she looked up from her half done task (because just cramming the books on the shelf wasn't an option) she realized that she was running late for her meeting with Lee. There wasn't any time for a stop at her house and not really any time for a swing by the lavatory in the library but she made time. She didn't want to rush to the diner to fetch Lee with so much as a hair out of place. But her usual standards would have to be put aside, she was a mess. A kerchief, a brush and a rearrangement of her carefully chosen hairpins helped to hide the worst of the damage and a reapplication of lipstick meant that her flush looked more like a glow from activity than a flush of exertion and aggravation.

She all but ran to the diner, frantic and apologetic only to find that Lee was in the midst of his own disaster. The Coffee maker had broken, a heating element or something. She wasn't sure and was filled with as much disappointment as she had relief. They made vague plans to try again, but she could hear in his voice and her own that there wasn't much faith that it would happen. Things like that didn't happen in Cascade Falls, it was foolish to take such risks of the heart. The town itself seemed to conspire against them. So with a quick, impersonal air-kiss to his cheek she returned to the library with a heavy heart and much work to do.

She finished just as it was time to close the library up for the night. There had been no patrons in all that time, but then, most people inclined to read, had read most of the books. So there was no one to hustle out, no one to say good night to as she turned off the light and locked the doors. She could have left them open, who would break in with all the camera's about? But she did so because it was a gesture, a sign that the day was over, her work was done and all was well. It was a lie, but then so many things were made easier with gestures.

She walked home slowly, tired from her late night, exhausted from her long day and desperately needing a shower. She passed the bar, heard talk and the sounds of people settling in and recalled her promise that she would stop in. She had absolutely no desire to do so. She wanted nothing more than to wash up, slid into bed and let the blackness take her if it would. But she had made a promise and she was not going to renege. Someone had offered her hospitality and she would honor it.

So she dragged herself home, up the freshly painted steps though the leaded glass windows and into the immaculate foyer. She moved slowly up the empty stairs and into the dark bathroom where she shed her clothing and turned on the water, stepping into the stream before it was ready and made short work of washing the dirt of the day off in her unlit shower. Privacy was an illusion, but one she clung to in this room.

She chose a pretty blue dress that she'd embroidered all around the hem with whimsical rabbits wearing crowns. Over that she slipped on a white cardigan, draping it over her shoulders and buttoning only the top. Her hair she left loose, to dry into soft natural waves around her face and she kept her makeup soft and natural.

She stared at her face in her bedroom mirror and tried to think of something to do to stall. There was nothing, just and empty house, no company, nothing but the cameras that watched her. There was no help for it and no way out of it outside of being rude. That she would not do. So she stood, touched the ribbon where her pins hung and then left for the bar.

The sun was just beginning to kiss the top of the trees as she turned onto the street that held just about everything in Cascade falls. She could hear again the noise of the bar, the people and maybe even a distant sound of music that wasn't from the horrible radio they all had to endure. She forced a smile on her mouth and slipped into the bar. It was always best to be where the people were, after all. Safety in numbers.

The day after a party, no matter how small, was like a hangover. Be it crumble or copious amounts of booze and cocaine, a good night out always stayed with Casey well into the next evening, and even if Cascade Falls' idea of fun was awkward small talk and crumble, the blonde was itching for something more substantial. Being reminded that there was fun to be had, that things could still be somewhat normal in such a fucked up town was bittersweet, the worst kind of tease that Casey had ever encountered, and she struggled to focus all day the coffee house. Riley and Elena's announcement about the bar's party the night before stayed in the back of her mind, drawing just a little bit closer as the sun continued to make its way across the sky.

After a long afternoon where a broken coffee pot was the most exciting happening, Casey was ready to leave. "Are you going to that thing at the bar tonight?" she asked Lee as she finished up the cleaning they always did at close. Cupping her hand, Casey collected a palm-full of crumbs from the counter and ran a wet rag over the surface, making the sealed wood shine like new. Walking over to the garbage can behind the counter, Casey dusted off her hand and tossed the rag in the work sink to dry. Although she may not have worked terribly hard often, she always felt accomplished at the end of a shift, like a real adult with purpose.

Pulling the apron from over her head, Casey flashed Lee a smile before hanging it up. "I'll see you later then," she said, sure that they would run into one another at some point during the night. Even if the bar's party wasn't going to be anything like the ragers back home, Casey was still looking forward to it. That evening, she left work with a smile on her face, a rare occurrence in a town so determined to crush any type of real happiness.

The apartment that had been given to her, as a young, single woman with no children, was about as stifling as the world outside its windows. There were times when Casey thought of lighting a match and torching the place just for a little bit of escape, but she always resisted. Coming in from the cold to put her things down for the night and change into something a little more appropriate for the party, the blonde found that the apartment didn't make her feel as claustrophobic—perhaps because she had something to look forward to, a way out for the night. Letting her purse drop by the door, Casey flipped on an overhead light and kept her eyes forward as she ambled down the narrow hallway toward the bedroom.

Immediately, she thought of the wound on the back of her leg and wondered if anyone was watching her particular feed. Trying to put it out of her mind, Casey pulled her t-shirt from over her head and tossed it onto the unmade bed before going to stand in front of the closet. It was the only safe place in the small apartment, but changing inside of it was sure to be a problem. With her chip still safe in the hip pocket of her blue jeans, Casey opted not to change her pants. Instead, she reached for a red sweater and a flimsy faux-leather jacket, sliding her arms into the sleeves with thoughtless ease.

After fixing her hair, applying a little bit of eye make up and trading in her flats for an ankle boot with a chunky heel, Casey was back out the door. The sun had just barely dipped behind the mountain as she set off up Main street, passing the same buildings and faces that she had grown accustomed to since coming to town. There was a buzz in the air, though, residual vibration from the bar's loud music and Casey couldn't keep the excitement from her expression, even if passing a certain alley did remind her of the sight she has stumbled on the night before. Forty-five whole minutes of chip-less freedom had been cut short by the appearance of Norma, that strange nurse who treated the hospital like her own personal cave. The woman had been alone when Casey returned from her walk, but catching her coming out of the apartment block had been scary. A chill went up her spine just recalling it: the familiar fear of being totally fucked.

Shaking off her reservations, Casey slipped back into party mode as she entered the bar. It was crowded with people, the most lively she had ever seen the place, but it was nice to know that people could still find something to celebrate. The air around her was warm, light, as oddly familiar music played through the speakers and she made her way through a tight crowd. On her way toward the bar, focusing on the top of Riley's head and what she thought might have been Elena's shoulder, she passed Jean and offered a polite hello before moving on.

The line at the bar was longer than expected, but Casey eventually found a space to greet Riley. "It's so busy!" she praised and shuffled a little more out of the way so as not to block paying customers. "I didn't miss your big song, did I?" she asked, elbows leaned against the bar.

When there wasn't a certain level of trust between himself and whoever the hell was actually in charge of the town, things tended to slip through the cracks. The day after Jean's get together had given way to his desk being piled with paperwork and the cherry on top was the reappearance of a certain personnel file. Eric was hardly the type to question his hostile surroundings, but Sammy Henderson wasn't the first person from town that had up and vanished one day, only to reappear years later. The same thing had happened with the town's newest resident and countless others as well, but there was one distinct different when it came to Sammy's curious case—Eric hadn't handed the younger man over to Norma the way he had everyone else.

For once, the day passed quickly and by the time Eric looked up from his work, it was getting dark. Breathing a sigh, the sheriff leaned back in his desk chair and pushed himself back, a few vertebrae popping before he attempted to crack his neck. The relief was instant, putting Eric's focus just outside of his office door where another desk sat, unoccupied. It was common for him to send the woman home when there was nothing to do, and that was often, because the controlled chaos of the town never provided much excitement.

Packing it in for the night, Eric grabbed his coat from the rack in the corner of the room and switched off the lights before making his leave. The night was cool as he walked home, taking Main street instead of his usual route, which was the long way around toward his house. Usually, the streets were quiet after dark, after the shops closed and people went home to bask in perpetual silence and boredom, but tonight was different. Pausing in his long strides, Eric stopped at the town's center and watched as another couple passed on by, hands clasped together as they entered the bar.

Following behind them, Eric was surprised to see the place so packed. As something of a regular himself, he was used to empty tables and quick service, but Riley's announcement from the night before must have slipped his mind. Then again, he always did his best to ignore the bartender's smart mouth. Looking around, Eric saw a few familiar faces, people he had spent the previous evening with and Jean among the crowd as well.

"I didn't think this was your type of thing," he greeted her with a soft laugh, but was happy to see her. Jean seemed like the type for something more intimate, quiet gatherings with baked goods and polite conversation. This night was looking more like his twenties, long nights in Michigan dives with cheap beer and easy girls. Too bad he was so responsible now.

It was fine really, that Casey hadn't given him a chance to answer her before heading out to the bar for some fun. Lee knew he hadn't an awful lot of fun these past couple days, and it wasn't like he could blame her. All the usual banter, the smiles and lightness he tried to project for his brethren trapped here - Lee just couldn't work it up, not really. Not even to pretend. In the end, he sent a small smile and a half-hearted wave Casey's way as she made for the door, and that wan gesture took all the energy he had.

Plans with Jean hadn't gone like he'd hoped - not even a little. Not like a man who lived in Cascade Falls needed any more reason to feel more paranoid, but in his heart of hearts? Lee would have sworn someone, somewhere had somehow sabotaged his coffee machines, all so he couldn't spend the afternoon with Jean. Sure, that was probably a ridiculously unreasonable suspicion, even for a man who'd spent the past nine years in the penultimate small town dystopia. But the notion had taken root nonetheless, and he just could not shake the funk left in its wake. Lee knew if his suspicion was true, he should probably be more relieved than disappointed - nothing and no one was worth more to him in this entire town than Jean, except maybe Casey in her own way. He had a reason to see Casey, day in and day out, a way to watch out for the young woman best he could. As for Jean?

No, he had no good reason to spend time alone with her, other than the rather obvious point that he really, really wanted to spend some alone time with her.

And that was dangerous. Dangerous for him, but Lee was long past caring about that. His attention was probably dangerous for Jean, and that was a risk Lee could not (would not) take. So it was all for the better. Really, it was. Had to be, sabotage or just shitty coincidence.

Didn't mean his stomach wasn't a lead damned weight right now, a rather appropriate match for his soul really, along with any enthusiasm he might have for doing anything tonight but closing up the coffee house and going to bed. Sleep would be nice, but Lee wasn't holding out much hope for that either...

He wiped down the same counter Casey had just finished cleaning, not because she missed any crumbs or spots of dried old coffee, but because Lee's mind just worked better if he had something to do. The whole deep pensive brooding thing never really worked for him...

Lee thought of Casey's enthusiasm for tonight at Riley's place, the closest thing to excitement Cascade Falls could afford. God, he didn't want to be there... Not really. But maybe - just maybe - he could use a beer. Or ten. Well yeah, some hyperbole there - in all his years here, he'd hadn't touched a drop of alcohol. Ten beers would probably see him crawling back to his house on his hands and knees, waking up wrapped around his toilet (if he was lucky), but damn. If there was ever a time during his sentence here that Lee had earned just a little forgetfulness, a soft sweet kiss of oblivion, well...

He turned off the coffee house lights, locked the place up (more habit than need of course), and shoved his hands into the pockets of his ancient, beat-up denim jacket. The walk to the bar was a new thing for him Lee, and he was surprised to realize just how self-conscious about this he was feeling, as if more than just the ever-present eyeballs of Big Brother were watching him go. It was a ridiculous thing to think, and Lee knew it - didn't make that weird feeling any less.

Lee bet he'd feel a lot less weird after a few drinks. He'd blend into the woodwork, enjoy some music and a good buzz, and maybe - just maybe - escape Cascade Falls for a couple hours. No way Jean was going to be at the bar either - he couldn't think of a less "Jean" place to be than Riley's place, and maybe that'd be something like a small blessing. So when Lee made his way inside, he was totally prepared to see Casey, Riley, a few of the other folks he knew were the local equivalent of bar flies, or just Riley's employees.

What he was in no way ready to see, was Jean, right here, right now. She was stunning as always, the epitome of timeless class in her blue embroidered dress and lovely white cardigan, glowing softly against the dark waves of her hair. Maybe it was just the surprise of seeing her here that caught him off guard, took his breath away... ?

Nyah, probably not. And there she was, chatting up Eric.

"Shit." No matter he hissed the expletive under his breath, it was still pretty much the only damned word that came to mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
[BCOLOR=transparent]
To be honest, he wasn't particularly surprised to find out that his home was gone. He'd only lived in this place for a year, and in that time he'd seen at least three houses flip the market--emptied out to be refilled with new arrivals or people moving up in the world, as it were. He hadn't really had the time to make any strong connections with his own home, but he'd been affectionate of the view and had been in the process of rearranging the attic into an art studio. For some reason, he'd always felt fewer eyes on his back in that dank space. Still, there was a mild surge of distaste at the loss, and he felt his lips turn into a frown, eyes narrowing slightly to observe the backwards scrabbling explanation Howard threw at him. He felt his head tilt, a dog-like inspection of the idea, but let it drop as easily as Howard himself had--he wasn't actually sure he'd [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]want[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] to be in the large space he'd had before; an apartment would suit him fine. Dimly he thought of the carefully folded papers, the images sketched in pencil and in ink, tucked safely away under the floorboards of a dark room and he straightened his head, relaxing his expression. They weren't lost to him, he decided as Howard swept out of the room, he'd find out who owned the house now--surely they could spare a moment out of their day for him to retrieve his drawings. Mind settled on the matter, the man turned his attention to Norma, eyes open wide with hope for a nice long bath, and caught the tail of her angry expression.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He frowned again, inquisitive, and kept his mouth carefully shut as he observed. He didn't remember much about Norma--all blurry memories blocked out to make way for terror and important information--but he couldn't remember such a dirty glare on her face...especially not towards Howard. His eyes flicked to the door where the man had disappeared to, his jaw tighter than he'd thought as he forcibly loosened it, rubbing it a moment later. It was too late in the day to think about the drama of relationships...he was tired and quite ready to get on with it. A hand at his back returned him from his thoughts and he gave the woman a faint smile, nodding amicably. "Honestly, Miss Norma, hot water is all I'll need for the next week," He laughed, forcing the cheer into his expression despite the weariness--and wariness--growing in his bones and shuffled forwards obediently, letting her guide him, "But...I'd be happy to see what didn't get tossed too." A smile, tired eyes meeting hers as he turned, "Thanks."[/BCOLOR]

---

[BCOLOR=transparent] Sammy hadn't taken the bath he'd wanted to that night. With the door shut behind him, a bag of supplies to last him the night (soap, shampoo, noodles for dinner and a handful of "bills" to deal with supplies tomorrow) dangling from his hand, and an intense feeling of unease rattling in the depths of his skull, he leaned back against the door, let out a shaky breath, and slid down it. He was unsettled, uncomfortable, and the musty smell of the empty apartment made him nervous--made him miss the trees and the thick wet scent of leaf litter rotting below him. It took effort to push himself up from his trembling curl, and by then an hour had slipped by. He was tired, but after dropping his things in the bedroom he did a circle of the house, checking every nook and cranny with the jitters of an anxious dog. Only when he was certain that not even the tiniest of creatures lurked in the apartment did he relax a bit more, allowing himself the peace of a long, hot shower before sliding into the bed to sleep.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Sleep hadn't come, and by the morning he'd abandoned the bed to lay against the back wall instead, angling himself towards the door and window. His pack lay near him, and he'd adopted one of the kitchen knives (fully stocked with utensils, he'd noted with a frown when 4am had slid by) to wrap his fingers around as he caught in a couple hours of rest before the dawn woke him. The nomad did another check of the apartment, creeping quietly around until he was satisfied it remained secure, and finally [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]finally,[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] turned his attention to the bath. It was run as full as it could be on as hot as it could be in a few minutes, and buried in soap and water he closed his eyes and allowed himself to truly, deeply relax for the first time in years.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He refilled the tub multiple times, unconcerned with the waste, and stayed semi-submerged and [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]safe[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] for several hours before he finally relinquished the tub. By then he'd shaved, washed his hair three times, scrubbed the rest of him four or five times, and had managed to do an okay job of cutting his hair down to a more reasonable length. When he finally emerged from the bathroom, stretching almost as widely as he grinned with a towel around his waist and a towel over his head, he looked almost the condition he had when he'd left. Only, there were scars now, stretched across his belly and his back, dug in between his ribs and down his neck, nicked against his jaw and stark against the tan of his hands, slashed on his leg and deep on his hips. His eyebrow had a place where hair didn't grow anymore, one eye seemed to have trouble focusing, one finger didn't bend quite right. His hairline had several patches where scar tissue had grown, and there was a faint shuffle in his steps that he had carefully hidden before. More than anything, though, those bright eyes, cheerful and excited and endlessly happy, had an edge to them...a ferocity and a shiftiness that hadn't been there before, and would never be gone again. He, for all intents and purposes, looked like he'd been dragged through hell and come back through half alive...and half crazy.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Sammy didn't leave his apartment until well into the afternoon. People had come by--hi I'm George; I'm Frank; I'm Beatrice--and his fridge was stocked, his closets filled with more towels and more sheets, and a couch that looked comfy but was a color he wasn't sure of had been shoved into the apartment. His things, those that had not gone away, were returned to him--a pair of fat pillows in an absurd shade of green that he adored; a cutting board in the shape of a fish; several sets of clothing he was too skinny or too broad to fit into, but worked well enough; a potted plant that hadn't been his, but Beatrice thought he'd like and he did--and then he was alone again, plopped onto the ugliest squishy couch with a new sketchbook and pen one of the snipers had snuck along with George in hand. It was nice, all of the gestures, but it left him anxious, twitchy and contained. Working his jaw, he stuffed his wallet--one of the lucky things to remain, simply because who needed a used leather wallet when there were plenty to go around?--into his pocket and grabbed his keys, fiddling with the dog-shaped keychain that had been tucked into his wallet, on its end. He left the apartment quickly, wiggling his toes in the new boots, and set off to wander the streets, uncomfortable with staying in the enclosed space any longer.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He meandered around until the day had stretched into dark, his interest leading him to poke around town (everything closed, but he wasn't surprised) to remind himself where things were; what had changed; what was the layout now. He'd made it around most of the town, his mood relaxing into something around content with the smell of the woods (not too far away; good enough) in his nose and the odd sensation of [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]not[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] having something that wanted to eat him on his tail, by the time he noticed a gathering of people around what he assumed was still the bar. It was a bit disconcerting, seeing that many people in one place after so long, but with a shrug and a hum he made his way over, curiously inspecting the people on the outside before he decided to poke any further. So far he didn't recognize a soul, but the wary looks he got from bar goers (a new person deserved weird looks, he supposed) were oddly relaxing. At least he wouldn't have to pretend to remember any of them, as they clearly didn't remember him. A grin slid into place, the familiar thrum of humanity surrounding him with a sense of security, and the nomad slid through and into the bar, moving with ease through the thick of the crowd and not touching a soul as he made his way to the bar itself, leaning on it with a wide, excited grin. He had forgotten how nice it was to be enveloped by noisy people, to be safely tucked into the thick of a crowd of laughing, smiling faces--god he'd missed it.[/BCOLOR]

In the midst of all that forced small-talk, Josh was at least glad to see another friendly face. He'd been mulling over what to say next that didn't involve sleeping, farmer's work and the occasional deer when Riley walked over with one of his usual big smiles. The two men couldn't have been more different in personality, but Josh had always liked the guy. His friendly nature seemed genuine, or as genuine as living in a place like Cascade Falls could allow a person to be. Hell, they were all fake in a certain way. That, and the fact that Riley ran the bar didn't hurt either. Even a town that prided itself on the violation of privacy and human rights needed a bar so people could at least drink their sorrows away whenever they damn well felt like it.

"Riley!" An awkward running of his fingers through his hair and the man chuckled in embarrassment. He realized he hadn't actually given Riley a proper greeting since everyone started flooding in, and perhaps that had something to do with his generally stunted social skills. "There were more people here than I expected. Got a bit distracted. But it's good to see you." So it wasn't a huge party, but it was still more people than Josh would have ordinarily been comfortable with. But when confronted with the event going on at the bar the next night, he was instantly intrigued. Especially at the mention of the bottle being saved for him. "I'll be there." It was far easier to promise a visit to the bar when alcohol was readily available. He tried not to imagine himself slipping back to old habits, but harsh circumstances called for harsh drink in the stomach.

The Bardens eventually departed, and Riley soon after. Josh eventually thought it was high time he got home as well, and did so after bidding the sheriff goodbye and thanking Jean for her hospitality. He knew he didn't - and would likely never - have the skills to organize something like that. And he was grateful, in a way, that people actually took time to arrange such distractions. The street seemed darker and quieter - if that was even possible - on his way home, but it wasn't until he shut the front door of his house behind him that the silence really became suffocating. And it had always been a friend before.

-

The day after a party was usually a day for Josh to recharge his batteries. Perhaps it had something to do with his introversion, but heading to social gatherings night after night exhausted him mentally if not physically. He supposed those who thrived on social interaction had bigger issues with Cascade Falls than he did, but that - like many other matters - were things to consider only when he was lying in bed awake at night, victim to the insomnia which had slowly developed over the years he'd resided in this awful place. He had considered redecorating, but before this life his wife - well, ex-wife - had always been the one to make such decisions. She'd decide what furniture suited the house, what paintings she wanted to put up...oh, she had a fondness for paintings of wildlife. Elk, bison, wolves...all set against some sprawling landscape which reminded him of how he'd always wanted to take a long trip to big sky country and lose himself there.

He left his house in the early morning, headed first to check on his animals. In a way, they reminded him of himself, and the rest of the folk who lived here. The animals were locked up, and he was their overseer. They lived their lives in blissful ignorance, not knowing that one day they could be taken out of that pen and slaughtered so that someone in town could have meat for the grill. To whoever ran Cascade Falls, they - the citizens - were the meat, and the sheriff ran the grill. It was almost morbid, considering barbecues with Eric constituted some of Josh's most pleasant experiences here in town, but it was hard to look at the creatures he took care of and not consider the similarities in their situations. He was their caretaker, but also their killer. He'd considered giving his "pets" names, but decided that names would only endear them to him even more. They wouldn't last, like he wouldn't last. A single misstep and he'd end up the next squealing pig with its throat being cut.

On his way back, he'd been given the usual friendly waves by some of the townsfolk; he always waved back, but in a mechanical fashion that seemed to remind him that such actions were automatic now. Smiles were smiles that didn't reach the eyes, and some of the eyes he'd seen held so much fear he could almost feel it. It was like looking into a mirror, sometimes, knowing that it was likely their thoughts echoed his. The afternoon he spent between writing in his journal and taking twenty-minute power naps on his couch. He figured that he'd at least bore the hell out of whoever was doing the monitoring. But the gathering the night before had seemed to hit an "on" switch in his mind that had his thoughts drifting between every new face and every familiar one, making him think back on the life he'd left behind. And he hated when that happened.

There was only one possible remedy for overactive thoughts.

As afternoon slipped into evening and the sky grew dark once again, Josh grabbed a swift shower and changed into one of his many flannel shirts and blue jeans - it could almost be considered a uniform, but he was hardly comfortable in any other sort of attire. His destination was one he'd been to more than a few times: Riley's bar. The man's invitation the night before had given him a lot more incentive, too. The bar had practically become his second home by now, despite bringing back unpleasant memories from the time when alcohol had run his life for him. Despite the urging of friends he'd never actually gotten himself help for the habit...especially since his wife had served him with the divorce papers and taken his daughter with her. But here, he liked to pretend he had a little more self-control than before.

Entering the bar brought a sense of relief that flooded immediately through his veins; his throat was sufficiently parched and he wanted nothing more than a good drink. But good company seemed present as well, for he saw many of the same faces he'd encountered at Jean's - including Jean herself, and Eric nearby. He wasted no time in shutting out the noise around him and making a beeline for his buddy, wearing a slight grin on his mouth as he cleared his throat and spoke over the clamor. "Hope you don't mind if I cut in." He peered across the sea of heads towards the bar, and offered Riley a brief salute to indicate his presence.

"So, do you care to explain how this happen again? The truth this time please" Her voice broke through the maddening quite of the hospital. Long, pale, nimble fingers checking the plain white cast to make sure it had set right. It hadn't been the first she had made since she had the 'honor' of becoming a doctor at this hospital. She was a surgeon, studying under the best, learning to navigate the human mind, to feel persons heart under her fingertips. Drunk on the feeling of having another's life in her hands, now? Well, it was the most excitement she had seen in days. When did setting a broken leg start to become something she looked forward to?

Lexia brought bright, hazel eyes to a set of nervous looking green ones. It would take a complete fool to miss that look in the boy's eyes. Fear. It was an emotion she saw often enough in the eyes of her newest 'patients', let alone nearly every morning staring right back at her in the mirror. It would take a great deal of force to cause both a Tibia and Femur shaft fracture. Let alone in someone as young as the ten year old boy that sat on the examination table in front of her, she kept the leg elevated by a foam square and was double checking her work. It was perfect, it would drive her mad otherwise, but it was perfect and she wanted to make sure it stayed that way. Though, there fractures didn't come along easily, if it was just the Tibia she might have believed the whole 'I fell off my bike' explanation she had been fed, but the femur is the strongest bone in the human body. It takes a high energy impact to cause such damage.

"He told you, he….he fell, Doctor. Are you calling my boy a liar?" The mother defended, fists placed on her hips, tired green eyes that might have one time been as bright and lively as the little boy that sat looking down at this leg. Her hair looked disheveled, straight, red hair that had fallen partly out of what might have once been a tight bun. The brunet could only shake her head, her high set pony tail swaying to and fro, feeling a very unpleasant chill crawl its bony fingers up her spine. That feeling of being watched, you'd think after two years she would be used to it, though every now and then she became aware of it, her mind free to wonder and drift. Nothing occupied her thoughts long here and for a mind like her own? It was never wise to leave it idle. That might just drive her crazier than the silence ever would.

"No Mrs. Capery, I do believe he fell." She said, that monotone exasperation never shifting as she continued to look the boy square in the eye, not once glancing at the mother. She had no idea what they were doing but it likely wasn't anything wise. People can do many things when there is that proverbial light, hope. She just hopped, for their sake, that it wasn't what she thought it was. The dirt on their clothing, the faintest scent of pine needles, grass stains that were on his jeans. They had been in the cluster of trees that surrounded the town and she'd bet about anything the boy wasn't the only one climbing one of those tall trees. "I just do not believe a fall from a bicycle would cause an oblique fracture of both the tibia and femur shaft." She continued dryly making the boy shrink under her gaze and the mother stiffen. "You must have been climbing those trees at the very end of Main Street were you not?" 'Not the trees near the edge of the fence' she thought, narrowing her gaze at him, silently trying to communicate the thought with him. It was a foolish notion to think you could make the gap from one of the closer tree's to over the fence. Though as far as she knew they might have removed the ones she saw the last she was there.

"Y-yeah! I…uh, lost my plane! Right I lost my plane in one! Toby threw it up there!" The kid muttered ducking his head. If he was going to lie his parents needed to teach him better.

"Yes, well, next time this little Toby makes you climb a tree to get you're things, I advise your tell an adult. Alright? It's very dangerous otherwise. Who knows what idiotic antics that he may get you into?" She said sliding her gaze finally to the mother who had been staring hard at the side of her head, the freckled woman avoiding her gaze. "Stupidity is the leading cause of premature death around here after all." She added.

"Y-yes, ma'am." He muttered, glancing quickly to his mother before looking back down, eyes drooping. The sedative she had given him before still seeming to linger.

"Magnificent, then if your mother does not have any question for me, I shall be on my way." She said already standing pushing the small rolling chair back, writing a few more notes on her clipboard. "Keep that cast dry and your foot elevated. You will be unable to walk for the next five months at the very least. We can lend you a chair until you are healed. She said looking at the white cast that ran up from his ankle to all the way over his hips support crossing over and latched around other thigh. There was no chance of him moving that leg anytime soon. She finally glancing back at his mother, pulling a slip of paper from the pad that was next to the forms on her board after scribbling her signature across. "These should be enough to get him through, if he is in severe pain in the next two weeks, bring him back. I'll set up a checkup five months from now to see if he would be ready for the cast to be removed…..and do be more cautious with your child." She added, causing the woman to narrow her gaze into a hateful glare, making the stoic woman cringe slightly. She had no doubt she would have hit her if she thought she might not get in a touch of trouble for striking a doctor while in their place of business.

With that she was out of the room, closing the door with a sigh, catching the tail end of; "-talks funny-" before the click of the door latching behind her. The halls were long and empty. It held that chemical, sharp scent of antiseptic and floor cleaner. Even if it was rarely used, every inch of the hospital was cleaned, the untouched sheets changed. Sometimes that's all there was to do in a given day. Now and then cases like this would come in; a child hurting themselves playing, or something idiotic their parents might have tried to try and make it to the other side of the fence. It was one thing if an adult tried on their own, though something did not sit right with her when the statistic and numbers that clearly showed the amount of people who have tried and failed for someone who was supposed to care for and protect them to put them at such risk? There was no escape, they were like mice in a lab trapped in the white walled maze.

A yawn left her lips as she glanced up at the simple black rimmed clock that hung over the nurses' station, sliding the paper work across to the nurse behind the counter. With a few quick words and a nod she was sent on her task while the doctor picked up the cold, bitter, grainy cup of coffee that she left waiting for her. The break room coffee never was as good as the Coffee house's she could never finish a cup unless she was dead on her feet. She didn't go as often as some but the freckled young woman did often stop by the shop before she would head to her shift, especially if she had the early morning one. She needed something to keep her awake in this silence. To be flooded by the noise, activity, life. Anything to break the silence that she was subjected to more often than not.

Though the gritty texture that slid down her throat was the least of her concerns at the moment. Her shift was over and she was more than eager to escape the silence. A place that once gave her meaning and security, offered her little or either these days. All she wanted at that moment was a stiff drink and a moment where she didn't feel like she wasn't being crushed under the burden that only seemed to pile higher and higher every morning she clocked in and long after she had left. She glanced one more time at the clock as she signed out, making her way towards the locker room. She suppose she had a little time to fix herself up before the sun went down. A shower was sure to make her feel a little more human. Even if it was only slightly.

Meanwhile in a brightly colored store in town a young red haired woman was setting a large, teal colored teddy bear in the large store window it's little pink and white poke-a-dot bowtie slightly crooked as she adjusted the large toy for all to see when they passed by. It safely nestled between the trainset and rocking horse. Each and every detailed made careful and lovingly by hand. "There we go! All set. Mr. Howard, you about done?" she called, a cheerful grin pulling across her lips as she wiped her hands on the front of the blue and yellow striped apron that everyone that worked there wore. An affection of the current owner of the shop more than an actual rule in itself. In a place that could be as bleak as Cascade Falls, a certain blond toy maker thought it needed a burst of color. This was no different. A toy shop was meant to be bright, cheerful, welcoming and as the smell of cedar filled the shelf lined store only helped. "Mr. Howard?"

"Just a sec, Sandy." A baritone called from the back, that southern twang having lost a bit of it's prominence over the few years since he had been not so gently urged to call this place home. Though that southern drawl never did seem to leave, marking the man from the south in itself. Though it would take a trained ear to figure out which state, let alone even what part of Kentucky it was from. A dangerous game to play here if nothing else, most were wise and tried to not mention much about it. His voice followed by a rattling sound of metal against metal and a hissed curse that was met with a thud before the man stumbled out of the back, kicking off a bucket that he had stepped in when he had forgot to glance back when he had, holding the doll close to his chest, his first ball joint doll, clad in in long, ruffled dress and tiny flowered top hat. The delicately craved doll safe and secure after a bit of hopping around, leg shaking and the very unhelpful laughing from Avery's employee. "Thanks fer helpin', I don't know what I'd do without yah." He huffed, unable to hide the bemused smirk that had creeped on to his clean shaven face. Blue eyes looking down fondly at the doll in his hands as he sat her down on the shelf next to the other dolls they had crafted. It was something satisfying about it. Mandy did love dolls. She loved to dress them up and set them around her, telling them great adventures.

The melancholy that only lasted a moment before the young woman's snicker broke him out of his bittersweet memories. That's all he had left of the littler girl. He knew she was in good hands. He had made sure if anything happened to him, that she would end up somewhere with people who would care about what she wanted, what she needed. Not what they wanted her to be. Last wills and testaments brought a certain reassurance. A bitter one, but one none the less. "S-Sorry….but come on, you got to admit. It was funny."

"Thanks fer yer concern. Such a sensitive soul, you are." He quipped with a roll of his eyes before he whipped his scarred hands on the chest of his apron, narrowly missing jabbing himself with the carving tool he had left sharp side up in the bib. "Though, I'll forgive yah, bein' my favorite apprentice an' all." He added undoing the knot behind his back as he took a stride towards the rack fastened behind the counter, removing the apron easily, hanging it on one of the hooks, before adjusting his glasses. The dark brown frames were scuffed, and nicked in places but they were his. It was the only thing he got to keep from a better life filled with hot summers and ice tea, Cold winters and tiny snowmen. As odd as it sounded it was like a little piece of home. "Now come on, hang up yer apron and go home to that behemoth of a boyfriend of yers." He chuckled as he did his final walk through of the front. Making sure every toy was in place. The woman didn't need much encouragement after that. She was out of the nearly obnoxiously bright apron and out that door with her keys before he could turn back around.

"You have a good night now, you hear!" She called, doing her best impersonation of an southern accent, which really wasn't really good at all and it sounded more like she was a little drunk instead of a little southern, but the intent to teas was clear. Making the man shake his head in amusement. It got old a long time ago, but he appreciated the effort at least. With that he locked the door, the bell attacked giving its final ring for the evening before he walked out into evening, more than ready to fall into his nightly routine. The man could say he fell into a bit of a rut, but what else can you do in this hell hole. If it was the afterlife he must have pissed off the big man or woman upstairs. His routine was as followed, cup of coffee in the morning, be it either the ridiculously thick cup of ground he made for himself or a more pleasant visit to the local coffee shop, then head to the shop to open up, work on toys, then at the end of the day with sore, tired hands, he head to the bar to grab a drink at the end of the night, before making himself go home and put in earplugs before he sleeps trying to ignore the screams the best he could. That was his routine, time in and time out. How the social man fell into such of one was beyond him, but maybe that was what was what kept him from thinking too much. For morning a life that has likely gone on without him. Where a little girl hate him for breaking a promise, relatives whisper about the black sheep, and those who did care likely have forgotten him, he only a passing thought now and then. If he was lucky that is.

So as he followed his usual rout, imagine his surprise when he happen to catch a glimpse of a certain doctor as she had just popped out from around a corner, nearly sending the older man stumbling over his own feet as he tried to stop himself from running her over. Those bright hazel eyes looked up at him, wide in surprise for a moment as she stumbled back away from him when she found the taller man a mere few inches from her. Long dark brown hair actually down and loose as it's natural wave kissed and flipped against her cheeks and jaw. Though the surprise and flash of concern was only there for a moment before that sweet expression of surprise and concerns was replaced by vivid layer of annoyance as her cheeks flushed in agitation. "Awww, good to see you too doc. And might I say yer lookin' awful nice." He chuckled after regaining his balance, smirking down at the rare sight of the doctor.

He'd never seen her wear anything other than some sort of gloss or mascara the rare occasions he had been reckless with his tools and ended up making a new scar on his hands or arms. So imagine his surprise when he saw the woman with dark, velvet red lips and eye liner, why was she even wearing a little bit of eyeshadow?! Let alone was that a skirt? Oh this was priceless. It might have become a slight past time for the man to pester the young doctor. He wasn't trying to be cruel, or at least he thought he wasn't. Some girls just need a little push, and the woman sure as hell needed one. She was going to a lonely little thing, and in a place like this it could drive you insane. The woman was nearly a recluse he had noticed. The only public places she ventured often was maybe the library, or the Café a day or two a week. Being that shut off couldn't be healthy to be in that hospital how often and long she seemed to be. So his good old heart found it his duty to shatter that shell. Anger just happen to be the best method. Not that he didn't just enjoy scaring and annoying the woman. No what sort of guy would he be if that was it. Though, if she did, it's her fault for squeaking like that when someone snuck up on her. Not his fault, no, not at all.

Before the man who had designated himself as her friend could say anything else did the doctor turn on the heels of her boots, sending the ankle high leather to rude against the thigh high, black knitted stocking as she tried to walk away from him. She was determined to act like she never saw him. Though just as quickly had she turn to stomp away with a dramatic turn and flair of knee high red skirt was she brought to a halt. A surprised squeak leaving her as she jumped, her already fragile nerves shaken as she looked up to find who had wrapped an arm around her shoulders, patting her shoulder like one would when patting an infant's back. "W-what do you want Mr. Howard?" She muttered, trying to slip out from under his grasp, only to be pulled back against his side, she finding herself even closer then she would have cared to be. She found him agitating, for one reason and one reason only. She could brush off his touchy nature, as well as his friendliness….though his insistence of frightening her? She despised it. She didn't need to be reminded how easily scared she was.

"Oh nothin' much, just thought a lady could need an escort is all." He cooed, grinning at the sharp look she shot him. "And didn't I tell you to call me, Avery? What's with all this Mr. Avery stuff?" He added ushering her in the way of the bar as they continued toward the center. It had to be where she was going, why else would she be walking that way at this time if not?

"I have no interest in calling you by your name. It will only encourage you." She huffed, shoulders rigid and stiff under his touch as she begrudgingly accepted her fate.

"Come on sweet heart, you act like I'm goin' to eat you or somethin'."

"Or something….Can you go bother someone else? I am trying to have a pleasant evening." She hissed.

Though despite her best to give him the cold shoulder the two bickered back and forth. Little did she know the two had fallen into an odd friendship over the couple of years she had been in the town. She wouldn't admit it, but it was one, an odd one, but it was. Though he sincerely did agitate her often. Very often. Why was beyond her but it got tiresome. So imagine her joy when they made it to the bar and saw the multitude. The life, the noise and best of all the chaotic energy of humanity in one confined space and for the first time that night her shoulders started to relax. Though more so, she saw a chance. Before the blond could say a word the older man she ducked low and slipped between groups of people standing in front of the bar with a quite apology. She was through the entrance in a matter of moments before she ducked past a another group, an actual ghost of a smile on her lips as she made her way, peaking now and then around people or in the open gasp here and then. If she could see herself she be a bit appalled out how silly was acting though the freckled girl in the white long-sleeved shirt wanted as much distance from her and the man for as long as possible, or at least until she was pleasantly buzzed and honestly give a damn what her own name was. Right now her nerves were not prepared for his acts of 'friendship' let alone she wouldn't put it past him to drop ice down somewhere if she looked away from him. He's done it once, and it was one of many reasons why she hadn't frequented the bar in the last few weeks….well she supposed it was weeks. That hospital made it hard to keep track of time, let alone a lack of a calendar didn't help either.

She had ducked back behind a small group of people, having been blissfully oblivious to the questioning gaze to the two previous groups she had done this to beforehand. She was finally going to just snag an empty seat aft this one, but she wanted to be sure he had lost his motivation and had decided to spread his attention to someone else. Life wasn't that kind she supposed for when she had looked up to see what group of bodies she had ducked behind was, a red flush coated her freckled cheeks as she looked at the people. She had seen them before, well she had seen most of the residence, she wasn't exactly cocial, but for the first time before her attempts to hide did she realize how idiotic she had to appear…let alone people she seen often enough in her daily routine. With that utter embarrassment in mind she straightened herself to her full height trying to brush off the moment of childishness.

She knew them by name, she knew them by file, the Librarian Jean Belmont, and she had seen her now and then when she had ventured into the library for a new book when she's run through her last stack of borrowed books. Joshua Duke, the dairy farmer, and finally Eric Reed, the Sheriff. Most were files stored away, things she's organized and a photographic mind filed away for unneeded use. Some instances that needed an injury treated or an illness diagnosed, while some were fortunate souls that avoided walking through the sterile doors of her place of business since their very first unplanned visit. Though all of these thoughts mattered little to her at the moment. No, she was trying to figure out how she let herself be reduced to this. She clasped her hands in front of her, glaring towards the bar that certain glasses wearing blond had slipped over to. Sending all the embarrassment and anger she felt in his direction before she sighed looking off to the side. "My apologies for disturbing you. That was especially odd…I was escaping that, twit." She muttered as some form of explanation. Though she wasn't exactly in a hurry to run unless insisted otherwise, no, she knew that Avery was bound to stay far away. One good thing about his always talking at her is she found out rather quickly about his unease around the Sheriff. She was more than willing to use that to her advantage, if she was lucky he will find a distraction soon enough and she wouldn't have to disturb these people any more than necessary. "Please forgive the intrusion…" She muttered looking sheepish.

Meanwhile the blond had found his way over to the bar trying his best to not start laughing as he glanced at the scene unfolding a bit away. Oh that was better than just teasing her a little. He smiling and greeting a few people he knew somewhat well. Though as he looked around, finding true enjoyment to see so many people in one place, to actually see people in this forsaken town full of life. For a moment it almost made him forget what his life was now. It felt like those stupid nights he would go out with friends after a long day, before he had the responsibilities of a little sister who needed him. Finding something easy, someone to simply loose himself in for a night before he would wake up and start the day all over again. Now, well, he had trouble finding a reset button maybe responsibility really has made him an old man.

As blue eyes shifted around the room they soon fell on someone he honestly couldn't recognize. It was a young man. For a minute he thought he had to be mistaken, it had been a little while since they got a new addition to the 'community' though when he glanced at him one more time, adjusting his glasses he was sure he didn't know him. If he did it would be the first time in a long while that he forgot a face. With one more glance around the room he shifted his way down the bar a bit, situating himself beside the unfamiliar man with a genuinely friendly smile on his face. Always happy to meet someone new, a change of pace was always good in this town. "Hey there, I'm Avery." He greeted almost immediately trying to get the man's attention, offering him his hand to shake. "You new around here?" There was probably better openers but in all honesty he might be a touch out of practice introducing himself. After about three years, most know each other and he knew most he cared to. To it never did hurt to be friendly. Well that was a lie it could hurt, but it was fun too.

There was something wonderfully bewitching and anonymous about being in a crowded bar after a workday, one of many waiting for the music to start. How many times in her past had she done this? Waiting for her friends, her boyfriend, and the music to start with pint of whatever was on tap sitting before her while she let the murmur and rumbled of voices wrap around her like a sweater. People, humanity, she'd always loved it and now, here in this inhumane place she was even more drawn to it.

They were not allowed to talk about the past in Cascade Falls. There seemed to be no greater sin. To keep them from this there were eyes everywhere, ears as well. As a result, one had to be careful with one's words. As far as Jean knew, they had not yet managed to hear her thoughts and so she would think what she would and hold her past in her thoughts as a shield against despair. Keeping her safe until she got out of Cascade Falls. Because she would get out, she had to believe that she would.

Sitting perched on the rickety chair in Riley's bar she let her fingers idly trace the pits and dents in the table top, her fingers lubricated by the condensation from her untouched glass. She'd tilted her head to the side and caught up snippets of conversation, her eyes half closed and drowsy, the murmurs of talk soothing like the interplay of waves and gulls upon the long edges of Good Harbor beach where she'd loved to spend her summer days. She felt herself pulled back to another time, another Jean and the ways she'd used to enjoy herself and the ways she'd used to hide herself. The past felt so very real then. The movement of people around her was so familiar that a small part of her wondered if Alex was heading her way. Only in her mind, Alex was taller and broader with a tumble of blonde and brown dreads.

Someone spoke to her, from just a foot away and her eyes snapped open. Startled mid-thought, the past she'd been fusing with the now, was very present in her gaze as she slowly focused on the face of the sheriff. She smiled, sheepishly and lifted her untouched pint and took a sip, her lips leaving a crescent of red on the glass. The taste was bitter in her mouth but she swallowed it down, remembering when she had liked the taste more than she did now.

"Oh?" She asked as she blinked the past out of her eyes and smoothed out her embroidered skirts. "Why is that?" She'd been to the bar before, though in truth not often.

Then Josh was approaching the table, looking hopeful with a grin that made her own broaden. It was good to see him out and looking so at ease.

"Of course you may cut in." she said as she pulled out the chair next to her, nearest to him and gestured gracefully for him to sit. She mirrored the same motion on her left, for Eric. "I'm always up for company." She added. "Whenever, wherever."

And then a third person was joining her. It was as if a magnet was fixed to this table and people were drawn to its pull. Never mind that it had a good view of where the performance would take place, it was the magnet. The newest arrival was a freckle-faced woman who looked tired and worn as if she'd borne a heavy weight she'd not yet shrugged off. There was a bit of white around her eyes that made Jean want make a soothing noise to calm her, but she held the instinct in.

"There is nothing to forgive." Jean said as she pushed the chair opposite of her, away from the table to make room for the woman to sit. "I was just telling these two that company is always welcome."

Riley saw the familiar blonde head make its way toward the bar in the corner of his eye as he was pouring a drink for another customer. He smiled a little and handed the drink to the customer with his usual line before turning his attention to Casey. "Gets busier every year, it seems. This town makes me work up a sweat," he replied, with a small laugh. "Oh no. You're pretty much just in time. I'll be up in maybe 10 or 15 minutes," he said, lifting his left arm slightly as those to check the time, but quickly realizing his mistake. "Hm. When the sun dips below the valley asks us to celebrate the moon," he corrected jokingly, in his pretentious poet impression. "But thanks for stopping by. I wish I could be on the other side for the night. This counter is holding me back," he explained with a chuckle. He enjoyed his job and the special nights, but the special nights often required his full attention, when he'd rather be letting loose.

"Can I get you something? One of everything, yea?" he asked, feigning seriousness.

He noticed Josh making his way to the table Jean and Eric were at, giving him a slight nod when they made eye contact. The bond Josh had with the sheriff made him admire Josh's capacity to look past the brutality that was required to enforce the rules of the town. If it were anybody else, he would have dismissed it as a friendship spawned from nothing more than fear, but he knew him a little better than that, though not enough to totally understand. Riley hadn't been in the town long enough to see more than two fete, but it was enough to make him hate Eric. He didn't know what he'd do if another one was called. He felt like he might just snap. How he could befriend him was always something he wanted to ask, but they were all here to try and enjoy themselves. What could be more of a downer than talking about the brutality that kept them all in line?

When Sampson made his way to the bar with his huge grin, Riley almost immediately grinned from ear to ear, as though it were contagious and passed on to him. "Now that guy wants one of everything," he said to Casey, pointing playfully. He noted that he didn't recognize him at all. It was rare, but it happened. The town had its mysterious ways of getting new people. A more diligent look at the man showed scars in odd places, some more serious than others. Riley had his fair share and knew what one would look like if it were from a fight or some every day kind of accident. They didn't look like those. And I won't be able to ask, he thought, mildly annoyed, for scars were yet another gateway to the forbidden past.

The toy store owner, Avery, noted his unfamiliarity as well and asked if he was new to the town after introducing himself. "A 'yes' makes your first drink on the house," Riley interjected, still wearing a grin. "But don't let that turn you into a liar."

The bar was mobbed by small town standards. To an outsider looking in, a crowded bar with frequently flowing drinks and the promise of live music made for a fun night out. Things were different in Cascade Falls, and Eric had seen time and time again that there was no safety in numbers. It didn't matter how loud everyone talked or sang along, the microphones in the walls would still record and the cameras hidden away would still take note of every moment, personal or not. The lack of privacy always kept Eric on edge, and while there were plenty of people in the bar that night who appeared relaxed and nonchalant, his guard remained up. As sheriff, there was added pressure on him and just being at a town event that wasn't a fête may have made certain people respect him less. Eric wasn't going to be surprised if another reprimand came from the mountain by the time the night was over.

While he hadn't actually relaxed in the last eight years, he had gotten good at pretending. Spotting Jean among the crowd was a good way to waste a little bit of time, and the table she had chosen had a good view of the stage. "I always thought you liked the quiet more," he answered. Then again, her modest gatherings were much more frequent than anything sponsored by the town—maybe it wasn't fair to assume that all three-hundred some residents enjoyed their boring lives.

As if on some kind of cosmic cue, Josh came through. They always seemed to find one another that way, and over the years, Eric had grown used to Josh's presence. The other man was a staple in his life, there when others kept their distance, not worried about the possible consequences of being friends with the guy who cut throats. "Surprised you're here," he remarked to the dairy farmer. "I forgot all about it until I walked by on my way home." Being in a loud bar was better than listening to an hour of classic music on the radio and re-reading Moby Dick for what felt like the thousandth time.

Giving a look around the bar, Eric didn't notice the others who were filtering in from the door. His eyes landed on a familiar face, the same one from the new files on his desk and seeing Sammy was almost like seeing a ghost. He looked the same for the most part, skinnier, but that optimistic air that had always surrounded him was still there. His updated file didn't say much about where he had been and nothing about being put back into suspension. When he had first arrived in Cascade Falls, Eric had accepted that there were many things he was never going to know, but this was just too weird. If he asked, Sammy might tell the truth. They just needed a moment alone.

Lost in thought, Eric didn't notice the freckled woman using them as human shields until Jean acknowledged her. He had her file as well, locked away with the others under the floorboards in his office. She worked at the hospital, he recalled, forced to spend long days with Norma—he wondered how she managed without going crazy. "It's Lexia, right?" he asked, thinking that she looked more afraid than the average resident. Behind her, Eric caught sight of Lee and raised his hand in a wave.

"Does anyone want a drink?" he asked, turning back to those at the table. "I'm buying." Jean already had a full pint, but there was no point in being in a bar and not drinking. Besides, Eric needed to bump into Sammy before he lost the young man in the crowd somewhere.

Being stuck in Cascade Falls was a little less horrible when alcohol was involved. Casey would have used any excuse to escape her small apartment for the night, and one big plus to hanging around the bar was Riley. She was happy to hear that she had arrived on time and that she hadn't missed his song. It had been too long since she'd last been to a concert, and although this one hardly qualified, it was something exciting. She liked Riley, found his presence uplifting when the entire world seemed to have gone crazy and he never failed to make her smile after a long day. His attention was elsewhere that night, that much was obvious, but Casey didn't mind.

"You'll have a break at some point, won't you?" she asked, grinning at him as she continued to lean against the bar. She wondered if she should tell him about the chips, if the risk was ever going to be worth the pay off, or if she was just running down a road toward more trouble. Her life wasn't much, but the last thing she wanted was for Riley or any other innocent to get hurt on her watch.

Pushing those morbid thoughts aside, Casey requested a beer. It was simple enough, and the very reason the bar was so busy. When Riley pointed to a man that she didn't recognize, she furrowed her brow. As far as she knew, she was the newest resident to the town but this man didn't look out of place. In a way, he was almost comfortable. "Do you two know each other?" she questioned, looking from Riley to the new guy. She thought she saw Eric looking too, but she averted her eyes before she became his focus as well.

As another patron approached the bar, Casey was just happy that he was somewhat familiar. She had never had any reason to go into the toy store, but she knew Avery from sight and mention around town. At least he had a job that kept him busy, compared to the long lulls that the coffee house experienced. "Only let him give you one of everything if it's on the house," she teased, never shy about conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.