Buttermilk Pancakes and Sweet Tea

Kai's eyebrows raised when Monroe walked off and Emma took his place. Emma Jean's explanation made sense though, and he nodded. "Ah... one of those guys." he responded with a roll of his eyes. Figured. He was glad that Emma Jean was ringing him up then. "Aw, come now, don't be insulted. I already have it..." He added with a smile. Kai took the change and paper bag from her, putting the change into his pocket. It was what Emma Jean said directly after that that caused him a little bit of ... well... alarm. He might not have thought anything about it at all except that it was the exact words his Nana had used.

"I - wh-" He started, but the red head had already left him to go work with someone else. He watched Emma Jean walk off and then blinked, shaking his head a little. Okay. That had to be a coincidence or something. But it was still creepy. Kai had watched enough horror/thriller movies, and it was always the 'innocent' country towns that were messed up. He frowned and then walked out of the comic shop, thinking he was going to be staying away from the damn corn fields.

Kai glanced at the numbers on his hand and then sighed, walking off away from the comic store and the diner both. He kept to himself the rest of the time, just walking around town and familiarizing himself with the streets. This place was so much smaller than the city, and he wasn't worried about getting lost. He said nothing to anybody else, mostly because he was a little fearful that someone else was going to talk about shifty scarecrows. He walked around for who knew how long, but ended up going back to the diner a little earlier than two also just because he ran out of places to explore. He figured he could just read his comics while he waited for Nana, but it appeared that Nana was the one waiting for him. He spotted the truck with his Nana inside and came up to her, giving her a wave.

"Hi Nana." he greeted. He still felt weird about what had happened in the store but was attempting to get over it "Sorry if you were waiting long. " He would have questioned whether his clock was off, but he didn't think that phones could be off. He figured she had just gotten hear early. He was kind of grateful for that, because he was pretty hungry. "Was your visits nice?"

"Hi, darlin'." Edith smiled when she saw him, grabbing her pocketbook. "I wasn't waiting long at all." She hadn't been, not really. Kai showed up just as Farley disappeared down the side alley near the Church. She had watched him go in the rearview mirror. Edith climbed from the truck, groaning something about 'old bones' and let Kai put his purchases in the truck if he wished, before slamming the door shut. She glanced around, sweeping her eyes down the street once and then again before motioning towards Lucille's. "Find everything you needed?" She asked, just before reaching for the door to let him in first.

Lucille's was mercifully air-conditioned, and the cold air swept over them as they went inside. It seemed Lucille was having a hot flash, for it was near freezing inside, and she was behind the bar, fanning herself with a paper fan. Lucille waved to Edith when they came in, and Edith waved back, shivering a little as she led the way to a booth. She sat facing the window, which left Kai to look at the kitsch on the wall, which were mainly local photos and newspaper clippings and some old farm equipment and tin signs and signed photos of local "famous" folk, such as Tommy Ray Guthrie, (who was the local high school quarterback back in the 70s. He had one good year of pro ball before he blew out a knee.) The piece de resistance was an autographed photo of Lucille Ball, given to the owner by the actress herself.

"Miss Nancy's great- grandson is cutting a tooth." Edith told him, once they settled, grabbing one of the menus to pass to Kai before taking one herself. It was typical diner fare. Too greasy hamburgers and fries. Thick milkshakes and fountain sodas. A few country plates like pulled pork BBQ and the ever-present fried chicken, collards and black-eyed peas. "And Walter and Anna are trying to set you up with their friend's granddaughter. I said you'd think about it. Who knows… perhaps you'll have a blind date while you're here?" She laughed a little. "Don't worry. They've already forgotten we even had the conversation."

She'd selected what she wanted just before Kacee, their teenaged waitress came over. She was a shy little thing, and could barely be heard over the cook in the back and Lucille's soaps on the TV. But she was even more silent with Kai around, blushing madly. She had introduced herself, and asked them what they wanted but Edith couldn't make a word out. Edith looked to Kai and then to Kacee, "You'll have to speak up, darling; I can't hear a lick of what you're saying." It made her blush ever the more fiercely, but the waitress spoke up then. "Sweet tea. And a hamburger, well done, darlin', with all those toppings Frankie likes to put on the side." Edith told her, shaking her head a little.

Kacee turned to Kai then, red as a beet, waiting for him to give her his order.

Once Kacee had gone off, Edith leaned forward to Kai, talking in a low voice. "There's something I need to talk with you about…I was gonna wait a bit, but I think we need to do this sooner."

She didn't get to tell him anything, though cause she saw Farley pounding on the diner window.. Farley motioned to the street, shouting something unintelligible before dashing off. Lucille stood up with an indignant, "What on earth!" and the rest of the patrons were equally surprised. But Edith was not. She'd been expecting it, though not so soon.

Kai shook his head a little when she asked if he had everything he needed. "Well, not really. I didn't find a place to buy anything for Jude." He admitted. He'd looked, but must have missed the general store or something. "Do you think we can stop by the K-mart before going back?" Or he might just run there tomorrow, but he didn't like to run back with a shopping bag. Either way, he supposed, he'd get the chew toy. He sat down with his Nana, glancing only briefly at the wall behind her before he looked at the menu.

"Yeah... maybe not..." Kai responded about the blind date. He had no idea what he wanted, but he was really leaning towards the standard burger and fries. It smelled greasy in here, which meant that it was probably also a greasy burger, and those were clearly the best burgers. Kai was familiar with diners. There was one on every corner in the city. This one had a few weird items on the menu but he assumed it was just southern fare. He smiled at Kacee, raising an eyebrow but being patient with the shy girl. Nana ordered first. "I'll have the bacon cheese burger - just tomatoes on that - and fries." He hesitated, glancing at Nana. "Is a shake alright?" He asked, making sure before he ordered it, getting a strawberry chocolate.

His attention turned back to Nana when she said she needed to talk to him about something. He raised his eyebrows and leaned in a little towards her since she was talking so low, but before she could say whatever it was Kai jumped nearly a mile, hands grabbing onto the table to keep himself from jumping out of his seat. He looked at the guy through the window, his heart beating hard against his chest. "Nana, who the he---ck was that?" He had no idea where his Nana stood on swearing, and Kai could have a mouth on him. But it seemed like the two older people actually knew each other.

Edith didn't take her eyes from the window for a few more moments, watching the sidewalk. "It's perfectly alright to swear, dear, if the situation warrants it, so long as it isn't in front of young ladies. Or at Church. That was Old Man Farley…the town drunk. He's always going around doing strange things like that." She spoke as if he had done nothing unusual. "I was sweet on him for a week, oh about fifty-five years ago." She chuckled a little and glanced to Kai, winking at him. "Believe it or not." She shook her head before resuming her surveillance outside. When a moment passed with nothing, Edith breathed, turning to Lucille, who was still recovering from the shock of having Farley 'pounding down her doors' as everyone from this moment on would hear of the incident.

"Luc, have Frankie wrap that up for us, will you?" She said in a disarmingly sweet tone, as if nothing were the matter. "We've got to stop by the store still, and should get going." Lucille gave her a look at being interrupted in the middle of her tirade, and then relayed her message back to the kitchen. "Kacee will be thrilled to not have to come back. You've left her all a fluster." Edith said then to Kai. "Did you speak to Emma Jean over at the comics store?"

Lucille herself came with the plastic bags with Styrofoam takeout containers and two big cups with the sweet tea and milk shake for Kai. Edith paid her directly, giving a little extra for shy Kacee who would otherwise be without a tip. She motioned for Kai to take the bag with the food, and got up to go.

Then she saw who she had been waiting for.

They were normal enough people, a man and a woman walking close together with linked arms. One would think there was nothing amiss but for the all black garb they wore, on one of the hotter days of the year, and even that was not telling. They were unremarkable besides, but Edith knew better. She clambered back into the booth, setting her pocketbook in front of her on the table. "Sit down and look directly at me, Kai." She said, in a lowered voice again. Edith was silent as they passed by the diner window, watching them out of the periphery of her vision. The couple stopped and glanced in the window, squinting as if they were reading the specials board just inside and the sun was in their eyes. They lingered no more than a minute and then went on their way. Edith opened her pocketbook, taking out her keys with a flourish. "Ah there they are! I swear I should wear them around my neck for as often I lose them." She laughed, switching moods once again, and then got up, motioning to Kai to follow.

Once they were in the truck, she started it up without a word, and backed out of the spot. It would be several minutes until she would speak again, once they had passed the town sign and roared over the train tracks. "There are certain things you have to know…first, our small town is a little strange." She started, but by then they were already at the Kmart. She pulled the giant truck into a spot near the front. "Second, there are more secrets than I can tell you in one afternoon." She gestured to the store. "I'll wait here. But hurry, dear, before our burgers get cold."

Kai stared back at the man through the window until he left. He looked back at his Nana with a frown. The town drunk... It was still weird. Frankly, all of this was getting a bit strange. He was going to ask her what she had been about to tell him but then Nana started talking again. Why were they getting their food to go?

He got up to go, but promptly sat back down. He had a strange prickling feeling at the back of his neck, but he wasn't sure why. He stared at Nana like she said to try and combat those fears. Besides his Nana, nothing seemed completely amiss. His eyebrows pulled together. This wasn't about her keys, but Kai didn't question her in public. He got back up again. "Nana, what is going on?" He asked with a shake of his head. It seemed like she knew. The old woman seemed to start on an explanation but stopped once they got to the Kmart and he sighed.

"I did speak to Emma Jean." He told her as he got out of the truck. He had forgotten to reply to that with all of the commotion. "She said to tell you that... Um.. " he probably should have paid more attention to what Emma Jean had said. "Something was ready, I think. And hi." He left the truck then, jogging into the Kmart.

He picked up two dog toys and paid for them with cash, coming back to the truck quickly as she had suggested. He got in. "And what's with everyone talking about shifty scarecrows, anyway? Is that like a town prank or something?" He asked as soon as he got in, as if he had been talking to Nana all along. "At least tell me some of these secrets?"

Edith gripped her steering wheel. The car was sweltering in the summer heat, and even having the windows open didn't help. She was sweating, but kept taking sips of the cool sweet tea. She stared straight ahead while waiting for Kai, looking at a heat mirage ripple off the blacktop.

It wasn't fair. It was as if they knew she had to pass it on, that her time was coming to an end. She should have had more time to tell Kai, to ease him into the idea. She made the mistake of telling Ivan too much too quickly, and his brain refused to comprehend anything. He thought her crazy, and had shut his family away from her to protect them from her craziness. He would be so vulnerable. And Emma Jean too.

Once they got home, and Edith could protect Kai properly, she would tell him. There was no reason to do so right now in the truck. She still had some time. But Emma Jean had given her approval already, so that was one step finished.

Edith saw him coming from the store, and her worried face dropped again into a mask of oblivious happiness. "Everyone? Oh, Emma Jean said something, didn't she?" Edith smiled as she started the truck again. "She's been afraid of the scarecrows and Old Man Farley since she was a little girl. It was Halloween, and they had a haunted hayride…and suffice it to say one of them, Farley, caught her ankle and she went into a tizzy." Edith chuckled, backing from the parking spot, and taking off back to the house. It was the truth, after all, even if it wasn't precisely the reason for Emma Jean's warning. "She's a good girl. Pretty girl. A little overwhelming, but nice."

She didn't say anything for a long time. She didn't know how to begin. But there was no easy way to start, and no words came to her. She took a breath. "We've known each other a while, Emma Jean and I. I've known her longer than I've known you, since she was born. She's become a sort of surrogate grandchild, I suppose, since your father and I had a falling out. It was when you were here for Christmas that one year. You were five, remember?" She didn't think he would. "You complained because it was 76 degrees Christmas Day. You wanted snow, like they had on TV." She shook her head a little.

"Anyway, I had something to tell him, something important. Something that had been in our family for a very long time. So I took him aside, and I told him. I told him everything, everything my grandmother had told me. He laughed at me. He thought I was joking, that I was making things up. He told me everything I said was impossible. But I insisted. I showed him the evidence that I had, and he told me I was going senile."

She turned onto the dirt road, glancing to the cornfields as the passed by. She didn't think she had seen that scarecrow there this morning. She gritted her teeth, stepping on the gas. The truck roared down the dirt road, kicking up a cloud of reddish dust. "I stuck to my guns, but he got worried. He thought I was insane and that I would do something, that I would harm you or your mother. So you all left. Back to the city, right before Christmas Dinner. I was angry. For days I was angry. But that very next Sunday, New Year's Day, I went to Church as always. And who comes up to me but little Emma Jean…she was seven about that time. She asked me what was the matter, and I told her that your father was angry with me, and that he didn't want to hear what I had to say. She told me, in a very grown up way for seven, that I should make amends by lying to your father. Tell him I was out of my mind with grief over Mr. Gregory's death still. She said that you would listen, when you were old enough to listen."

Kai buckled up and then grabbed his milk shake. It was incredibly hot here, and while it did get hot in the city it wasn't like this. This was a different kind of hot. Like swimming in lava, maybe, but worse because it didn't kill you. He sucked the shake down, a little annoyed that his Nana was distracting him with talk of Emma Jean and not what he wanted to know. Well, he supposed technically it made sense with the shifty scarecrows bit, but not what he really wanted to know. And that was the secrets, and why his Nana was kind of freaking out a little even if she was doing her best to hide it.

He stared out the window and sighed. Just when he thought that his Nana was not going to tell him anything, she started speaking again. His milkshake was empty, so he put the cup down in the cup holder and then looked back at her again. She was talking about Emma Jean again, and while at first he was getting more annoyed, it quickly tapered off as she got onto the subject. He was feeling like he was in an increasingly awkward situation, and if he hadn't been intent on her story he most certainly would have noticed that she was suddenly speeding, even though she never had on the way into town. Kai hadn't really known that his father and her had had a falling out. They'd never visited her before in his memory, of course, but he hadn't quite connected that it was because of a falling out. He pursed his lips a little. Leaving before Christmas dinner seemed pretty harsh, but he knew his father better than he knew his Nana, and wasn't quite convinced as to which side to take on this conversation.

"Er... I'm sorry... I didn't know that happened..." Kai started off. He felt it was only right. After all, what could possibly be so bad as to cut off your mother from your and your families life? Kai barely knew the woman at all because of it. He couldn't exactly imagine doing that with his own mom, but he was holding off judgement. He licked his lips a little. Even though he had just finished a milkshake, his lips felt dry.

"But...Listen to what?" He also wanted to know how Emma Jean thought she knew what he would or wouldn't listen to. Did she know what it was? He pushed the questions from his mind. One question at a time. Those might come later. He was suddenly glad, though, that he had buckled up because the road was bouncy from how fast his Nana was going. He moved his hand onto the stationary handle of the door to grip it, feeling very much like he needed to hang on to something.

Edith didn't seem to know she was speeding. But the truck was flying over the bumps and ruts like it had wings. She didn't answer Kai's question until they neared the house. "Listen to what I had to say. You are young yet. Your preconceived notions about how the world works aren't set in stone yet. Still malleable." She slowed when she saw the house. Even in the bright sunlight, even painted yellow, it looked dark in the shadow of the oak tree. And the front looked…off.

There was a breeze that day, but not much of one. Yet, the porch was strewn with hay. The front door was hanging open, and Jude was sitting on the front steps. Edith stopped the truck in the road, glancing past Kai to the cornfield. There were three …three scarecrows standing all in a row where there had been none the day before. "Terrific." She said under her breath, turning the truck into the driveway. She killed the engine, hopping out with her sweet tea in one hand and her pocketbook in the other. "I'll get the food. You can handle the rest, right dear?" She asked Kai in a cheerful voice, casting a glare across the street. The scarecrows were gone.

Edith gave Jude a scratch behind the ears as she walked up the front step. "What's the damage, Dog?" She asked, glancing around. With the straw were bits of cloth, jean and flannel. It looked wet around the edges as if it had been chewed. She grinned, directing her words to Jude, and pausing between sentences. "That's all? Well…I'll say it was a job well done. And inside? Good, good. That was bold of them, but stupid." She turned, shouting, "You should have sent more!" She motioned to Kai to go inside, giving him a gentle push and held the door for Jude. "Oh that's right…just an old lady…and a kid and a dog." Edith mumbled. "Can't possibly be a match…"

Once everyone was in, Edith shut the front door, locking and bolting it. She didn't really need to now. She was home, it was home, and they would be perfectly safe. There were a few more pieces of hay here and there, and a large swatch of red and black flannel in the entryway. Apparently it thought it would be home free, but hadn't counted on Jude. "Yes," she said, glancing to Kai after crossing the room to turn on the air conditioning. No relying on summer breezes this afternoon. It was too hot in here already, even with the curtains drawn. "Yes, I was talking to the dog. And yes, he was answering."

She gestured to the bag he was carrying with the chew toys. "He deserves one of those now." She said, waving Kai back to the kitchen. She set the food out on the table and began dishing it out, as if nothing were the matter. She grabbed her hamburger and took some lemonade from the fridge for Kai, setting it and a clean glass from the drainboard on the table."Sit. You should sit."

She unwrapped her hamburger, taking a bite before she spoke again. "Emma Jean warned you of them, remember? The scarecrows. They're shifty. They'll be in one spot, and then the next day be a mile from that spot. They are scouts. They watch and report. They rarely engage. They rarely even move most of the time. The one that tried to get in only could cause I wasn't here. Cause the Key wasn't here. It was with me, where it always is. They want the Key...rather they want it for their employers. Follow so far?"

Well... technically Nana had answered his question about listening to what, but it hadn't exactly been what he meant. He looked at the house when Nana did, frowning a little. The hairs on the back of his neck were standing on end again. He didn't like that. Kai had a sudden urge to call Jude to him, but didn't. They were going right into the house anyway. His eyes mimicked his Nana's over to the cornfield. Scarecrows? He was pretty sure he didn't remember those from yesterday. But then, perhaps the farmer had put them out while they were gone into town? He looked back at the house again just as Nana turned into the drive and cut the engine. There was straw everywhere, yet Kai wasn't worried that Jude had gotten into something he shouldn't have. "Okay..." he said slowly and quietly. He got out of the truck and grabbed the bags from the back.

He followed his Nana towards the house, and was completely taken aback when she just started talking to Jude. As if... well, as if she was some Disney princess, really. When she turned Kai instinctively did too, and he shivered. The scarecrows were gone. And his Nana was seriously starting to freak him out. He felt the push to his back and promptly went inside. Maybe she was senile.... but then... those scarecrows were definitely there and then they weren't again. And he had every reason to believe that they were a part of whatever was going on here. Jude had obviously torn one up, but for whatever reason that was a good thing. And then Nana admitted to talking to the dog and all he could think of was that at least she knew she was doing crazy things.

When Nana motioned towards the bags he was carrying he realized he'd nearly forgotten he had them in his hand. He took out one of the toys - plastic newspaper - and dropped it in front of Jude who picked it back up and brought it towards the door, lying down in front of it and then going to town on the toy. Kai followed Nana to the kitchen, partially in concern and partially because he did not want to be left alone. He put the bags on the table, murmuring a 'thank you' about the lemonade and then sitting down.

Kai unwrapped his hamburger too but didn't eat it yet as Nana started talking again. He shifted uneasily in his seat, struggling to accept what Nana was telling him, but at the very same time remembering those three scarecrows across from the house. And Jude wouldn't have chewed up a scarecrow for no reason...

"Not.... really...." He admitted, shaking his head a little. Emma Jean was in on this too? And other scouts. "Is this like... a town thing? Does everyone know about this?" He asked. He had decided that he'd simply go along with this until he could figure everything out. He'd just... assume... his Nana was not lying and not crazy so he could get this whole story, and then determine what to think. Like the suspension of disbelief in literature, almost. He'd just, assume this was all true. "And what key? Who are their... employers?" He did wonder if this was a game of some sort. But this was far too elaborate.

"No." Edith said simply. "No, not everyone. Emma Jean knows, of course. And Old Man Farley. Your father knows, because I told him everything I'm telling you. But he didn't believe me. I've never bothered telling anyone else. Anyone else who knew, Farley's father, my father, my grandmother…Everyone else is either old and senile or has already passed on. No, once Farley and I've gone, you and Emma Jean will be the only ones." She took another bite of her hamburger. She hoped Farley had had the gall to approach Emma Jean, to warn her about them. She doubted it. Farley was as afraid of that girl as she was of him. Edith hesitated, wondering if she should tell him about Emma as well. But she would leave that to Emma. She took a long drink of her sweet tea to wash down the hamburger.

"The Key. This Key." She pulled on the chain she wore, slipping it from under her shirt. It was the size of her palm, black and mostly unremarkable. It would have gone unnoticed by anyone but for the faint bluish glow around it. Edith dropped it back under her clothes without giving Kai the chance to examine it too closely. There would be time still. Still time. "The scarecrows are looking for it for their employers. I'll admit, I don't know much about the employers. They call themselves the Janusian Company. The Company. They want the Key and I can't let them have it, that's all I really know for sure."

Edith finished her hamburger, and then started in on the fries, while she was trying to figure out what else to say. "They have employed various means of getting it over the years, but the Key…learns, I suppose. Learns and adapts to protect itself from them. The scarecrows, for example, are—new. They've been around since my grandmother gave me the key. They used to be more proactive, but the Key learned how to shut them down. Now they are just straw things that move on occasion. Not sure what that one was thinking, coming in here though." She looked to Kai, and smiled a little. "The Key protects this house from the Company. It helps me understand what Jude is saying. In fact, it helps me understand that one Spanish station that comes in all fuzzy…Spanish soap operas are rather entertaining sometimes." She shrugged, and then motioned to his hamburger. "Best to eat, dear."

Not everyone knew, but there were scouts, and Nana's numbers were not adding up. Kai's eyebrows furrowed together as he looked at the key, tilting his head to one side. He wasn't finished looking at it before Nana put it away again though. He watched as his Nana finished her hamburger, hesitating before picking up the abandoned pencil and crossword puzzle from that morning. At the bottom of the puzzle under the hints he wrote in tiny capital letters 'JANSIAN'. His eyes traveled back to Nana as she started talking again.

Best to eat? Best to eat at a time like this? He was no longer hungry, and he shook his head a little. "But..." Kai licked his lips, struggling to find the words to say. What, exactly, he wanted to ask. She did realize... he was only supposed to be here for the summer, didn't she? "But Nana," He tried again. "Why does the company want the key? How can they - do - " he wiggled his fingers in the direction of the corn fields. It wasn't as if everyone just had the power of animating scarecrows. Unless they were people dressed as scarecrows, except that there was clearly hay all over the porch and he quickly crossed that idea off the list of potential options it could be.

Surely whatever this company was about, they didn't want the key to talk to their animal friends. It had to do something else. Maybe, unlock somewhere else, and there was something in that somewhere else the company wanted. That didn't make much sense to him either, since there were other ways of getting through a locked door. Maybe they wanted out. Maybe that was why they couldn't just come and get the key themselves and have to send scarecrows or whatever else instead. Kai's brain felt like it might be spinning in a blender with all of these questions and hypothesis and evidence. He tilted back in his chair to see Jude still at the door chewing on the toy and then looked back at Nana again.

Edith sighed leaning back in her chair. "I don't want I overwhelm you with information right now, Kai. I made that mistake with your father." She took her drink, filling it with lemonade and swirled it around. She kept silent for a few moments. The hum of air conditioning was like thunder; it seemed that quiet. This is not what she wanted. She did not want to go about this in this way. She wanted to ease him into the idea of the Key. Over the summer she could have two months to slowly teach him about the key and the company and the scarecrows and Emma Jean. But now, everything was happening all at once. She said she didn't want to overwhelm him; in truth she did not want to overwhelm herself. "Now, there are things I don't know, dear. How those scarecrows do what they do, that's beyond me. The Key opens a Gate, of course, among other things." She leaned forward, crossing out his spelling of Janusian and replacing it with correct one. "The Company wants what is inside the Gate. Emma Jean should really be the one-"

She stopped talking then because the house phone rang. Shaking her head, she went to answer it, going for the phone in the living room rather than the kitchen for now. She could still see Kai through the door, but turned around once she heard who was on the other line. "Emma." She said in a quiet voice.

"Did you know, Edy?" Emma asked, her voice low and breathy. She sounded angry. Edith didn't blame her.

"Farley told me only a few hours ago, Emma...and the scarecrows were on the move."

Emma Jean was silent for a few moments. "Did they-"

"No. The dog stopped them."

"Oh, good. Dog? What dog? No, it doesn't matter. What have you told Kai?"

"Very little. You should come out here, Emma. Come and help me do this." Her voice was pleading. If Emma Jean were here, she could explain everything, and perhaps he would not look at Emma Jean so...anxiously as he seemed to look at Edith. Kai's questioning made her inexplicably nervous. It was as if he were on the verge of discounting every word as Ivan had. Edith never had so many questions when her grandmother told her everything. She accepted it without issue. She was also only ten, a child, who still believed in magic.

"Why now, Edy? Have we done something differently? Do you think the Key knows that you want to pass it on? Maybe it...maybe it is growing stronger now in order to protect Kai too."

"You know how unpredictable they have become since Althea. And the Key as well."

"I'm not ready Edy."

Edith was going to ask. 'Ready for what?' But she knew. "Neither am I."

Kai let out a soft sigh too, but his was one of frustration. If he was being overwhelmed than so be it, but he didn't like not knowing everything he could about a situation before he decided what to do about it. Not knowing was even more overwhelming. Just as he was about to open his mouth to make a case to know more out of that, the phone rang. He shut it again with an audible snap, quiet as Nana answered it. So. There was a gate. A gate to what? And what was inside of it that the company wanted? His eyes glanced down to the word Nana had re-spelled for him.

Even if this was all made up. Even if this was just his Nana going crazy, and he didn't think it was, it was intriguing. He took a sip of his lemonade as he waited for his Nana to come back into the kitchen with him. He picked up the pencil to bounce the eraser part against the table as he waited, but soon stopped and crossed his arms over his chest. Janusian. Janusian, Janusian, Janusian. The word was rolling around in his head over and over.

Kai reached out to poke at his burger but didn't eat it. He at least put a fry into his mouth. He was restless. He wanted to go out on a run, only he did not trust those damn scarecrows in the field out there. But a run would so help him clear his head. Kai ran his hands through his hair, pushing it all backwards like his mother did and then towards the front like he liked to wear it. He was hoping Nana would get off the phone soon to talk to him some more about this. He wanted to know. He took out his phone in the hopes of getting some sort of connection, having a mind to hunt around the house for the best signal and then Google the hell out of 'Janusian'. If Emma Jean was a part of this, he didn't know why she wouldn't just Google it and then tell his Nana. The two of them seemed to work together, so-to-speak. Another fry found it's way to Kai's mouth.

"Nana?" He finally called her from the kitchen, turning his head to look towards her. Really, he didn't know what could be more important than this at the moment, so what was she talking on the phone for?

Edith didn't take much longer to finish talking with Emma. They had come to no conclusion. Edith wanted Emma to come, Emma refused. When she was finished with the call, she replaced the handset back in the cradle and slumped against the wall. She was used to her mundane life, her quiet solitary life. With the heat (which the air conditioning was struggling against) and the fear mounting in her over the Company's early arrival, and the fear of Kai and his questions, it was all too much. She went back into the kitchen, sighing and shaking her head when she saw Kai looking quite eager for her to finish her talk. "Emma Jean. That was Emma Jean. She says hi, by the way, and also something about a Doc Savage?" Edith shrugged. "You need to talk to her. She'll explain everything that I can't and she'll do it better, in ways that won't sound insane."

Edith took her tea from the table, scrawling Emma's number on the crossword. "I need to lie down, dear, for a few minutes. You can go out, if you need to, for-" and here she gestured at Jude, "He's proven to be able to take care of himself, and he'll protect you too." Edith hesitated, trying to think of someway to comfort him before she fled. "The Key knows you are here, Kai. It knows that I was planning to give it to you. It will protect you no matter what, so don't worry." She turned to go upstairs, pretending she didn't heard whatever protest to her flight he came up with. Sometimes it paid to be old.

Once she was safe behind the closed door of her room, she slumped once more against the wall. She was getting too old for all this.

Kai licked his lips as he watched his Nana hang up the phone and then lean against the wall like that. He was half out of his chair to help her go sit down when she straightened and came back to the kitchen. He sat down again, shrugging at about the same time Edith had after she said 'Doc Savage'. He didn't really care about that right now. He wanted to get back on topic, and he shook his head a little when she suggested he talk to Emma Jean instead. "Nana-" He started off, but she was already telling him she needed to lie down.

His eyes glanced towards Jude who tilted his head to one side and then he looked up at his Nana again. Wait. She was going to give him the key? But why? "Wait! Nana, hold up - Nana!" Kai had come out of his chair again and had even followed her to the stairs, but the old woman had already closed her door to him. He shut his mouth audibly. How could she just tell him things like this and then hole up and pretend like everything was fine? "Uuugghhhh..." Kai moaned, running his hands through his hair. What was he supposed to do with this?

Kai went back to the kitchen, glancing on the number at the crossword which matched the number he already had. He looked away and stared at Jude instead, pursing his lips. He had always thought Jude could understand him, but not quite like how he understood Nana or how Nana could understand him. His teeth worried his lower lip as he glanced at the number on the paper again before giving another huff of frustration and went over to the phone his Nana had just hung up. He couldn't call Emma Jean on his own phone since it has basically been reduced to a music player. He dialed the number, waiting in irritation as the phone rang on the other end.

Emma Jean was pacing up and down the dark aisle of the History section in the library. She wanted be alone, comfortable and safe. Home had her mother and father, always standing around, saying how worried they were about her. Outside, it was hot. It was equivalency of standing directly on the sun with plastic flipflops from the bin at the dollar store as your only protection hot. And there were people outside, namely those people who had come looking for her and Edith and the key. There was no other option but the library for all three of her requirements.

Emma Jean had seen the couple in black walking by, looking long and hard into the window of the comic store as if Captain America's latest (three month old) issue interested them. Somehow she knew who they were, even though she didn't recognize them, and she was sure they didn't recognize her either.

Even so, Emma had turned the flirtatious personality on to eleven. Head-nerd Chase Brennan actually thought he had a chance. He'd asked her out, in that adorable stammer he had. But once Emma had seen the couple in black move on at last, she patted his cheek with a sad smile, saying, "Bless your heart," which was Southern for a lot of things and none of them were "Sure, I'll go out with you."
She'd left work early, which pissed off Monroe, until she threatened to quit and he backed off. Chase Brennan had stared after her in shock.

Old Man Farley had cornered her a half-block from the library. She had backed away from him until he shouted at her to stop. "Do you want to make a scene, Emma?" He said in a low voice once she had done as he'd asked. She glanced around. There were two or three unfortunate souls walking around in the Southern afternoon heat.

"I don't want to be near you right now. After all those times…"

"That was my father. And my grandfather. You think I would turn to this willingly?" He held up the paper-bag wrapped bottle in his hand.

"You did, Roger. You did turn to it willingly."

"God dammit, Alma-Ann, I'm trying to make amends!"

Emma had lifted her hand to the church, which as always, was right there. The center of town indeed. "Then go see Pastor Tom, and pray for absolution or whatever it is they do." She jabbed at finger at him, spitting the words, rather than speaking them. "God might forgive you, but I won't. And don't ever, ever, call me Alma-Ann again. My name is Emma Jean." He mumbled behind her as she turned to flee. She didn't run though. She couldn't let him see how much he still frightened her after all those years. Sure, he wasn't his father…or his grandfather, but the fact that he shared their DNA and their last name made him just as much an enemy.

"They are here." He called after her.

"I know," Emma Jean said, still walking.

"You'll die!" He said, and his voice sounded remorseful at that.

"I know." She said again, in a whisper that he couldn't have possibly heard.

Emma Jean took out her phone the moment she was in the dark comfort of the library, completely ignoring the sign that read NO CELL PHONES in big bold letters. The first number she dialed was her parents. They didn't answer, but they were probably hanging around their pool. She left a message, saying she would be home late this evening, and not to hold dinner. They wouldn't.

The next number she had dialed was Edith's. If Farley knew about them, then Edith would too. After all those years, he still held a candle for her. He lit up when she was around. Which wasn't often, not anymore. Since Gregory died, Edith had withdrawn slowly from everyone. She made her rounds to keep up appearances; she went to church because it was expected, not because she believed anymore.

She was a little surprised that Edith answered, but she seemed to be keeping quiet too. Perhaps she didn't want Kai to overhear. Emma sighed. Of course, this time around, it had to be complicated.
"Did you know, Edy?" She asked, trying to rein in her anger. She wasn't angry at Edith. Not really. Maybe a little, but she was angry at her for getting old, for failing to pass the Key on already. It wasn't fair and it wasn't her fault.

"Farley told me only a few hours ago, Emma...and the scarecrows were on the move."

Emma Jean shuddered as the mention of the scarecrows brought a whole slew of memories down on her. The Key had taken care of that problem years ago, though, right? She only had to die for it to learn how. No big deal. Edith was old, but she was tough. She was concerned, though, for Kai. "Did they-"

"No. The dog stopped them."

"Oh, good. Dog? What dog?" Fantastic, so there was another wrinkle. A dog. She wondered if Edith had showed off her Doctor Dolittle skills yet. "No, it doesn't matter." And then the real concerns surfaced. "What have you told Kai?"

"Very little. You should come out here, Emma. Come and help me do this."

No. Emma Jean almost shouted through the phone. Edith, Emma and the Key all in the same place with the Company poking around? And there were scarecrows about? They would not only be asking for trouble, they would be sending it the clichéd engraved invitation.

Come to think of it, why was the Company poking around right now anyway? She had three more years. Three years. She could be a senior again, and graduate again. She could go to prom again. Perhaps she would get into Yale again. No…maybe she would try Princeton this year. She could finally, finally go on a date with someone who actually meant something. This was all the same as before. And it was all brand new too.

"Why now, Edy? Have we done something differently? Do you think the Key knows that you want to pass it on? Maybe it...maybe it is growing stronger now in order to protect Kai too." The Key was as much a mystery to her as it was to Edith. It was part of her, but a part that had its own mind, and she didn't pry into it. That was up to Edith to learn. She was the Gatekeeper, after all, and Emma Jean was just…well, she was Emma Jean.

"You know how unpredictable they have become since Althea. And the Key as well."

"I'm not ready, Edy." No she was not ready. How did one get ready for something so…final. She would be back of course. The cycle never stopped. But she wouldn't be her, she wouldn't be Emma Jean anymore. She turned over her wrist, looking at the small infinity symbol she had tattooed on her wrist. How poignant. It was the first she had gotten. She had to flirt heavily with a large bearded man who might have been as old as her father, but had wandering eyes and a weakness for the damsel in distress type. So she played to it. She would, to get what she wanted. She vaguely wondered what the next Her would do. She doubted that She would be so bold.

"Neither am I." Edith had said, interrupting her thoughts. "Emma, please at least consider it. Talking to Kai. You…you know more about being a teenager than I do. And you know how to speak to him."

"I don't know him, Edy. I talked to him for like, ten minutes, before he left."

Edith faltered, but then her voice perked up a little. "He's like his father."

It was a ploy, perhaps, to dredge up old memories. It was working. "That's not fair, Edy." Emma Jean mumbled, sighing heavily. "He's not Ivan." She sunk to the floor, leaning up against the shelf behind her. "He just…he looks so much like him. And Edward too. It's not fair."

"Please, Emma."

"No, Edith." And then she looked up at the librarian who stood there with her arms crossed and foot tapping, pointing at the NO CELL PHONES sign. Emma Jean sneered at her, standing slowly, and walked from the library with the phone still on her ear and the librarian hot on her heels. "I have to go," she said, as she pushed open the door. The hot air hit her like a wall. She hung up the phone, waiting a moment before peering through the glass door. She watched the librarian disappear into a back room and silently crept back inside, angling for the History section this time.

She chose the History section at random to do her pacing, because of the irony she found in it, and because no one outside of student researching for papers went there. Occasionally stopping to pluck a title that interested her, she would flip through the pages, and then replace it in a completely different area. So far, she'd shelved the history of the Spanish American War with the studies of the Mesolithic era, and the books on the Berlin Wall with the books on the Great Wall, cause, hey, they were both walls. She was busy reshelving a tome on Medieval England with a concise Roman history series when her phone buzzed. She pulled it from her pocket, furrowing her brow at the number. Edith again? What could she possibly want now?

"Edy, I'm in the library. They frown against phone use here."

Last edited:
Jude padded up to Kai and Kai sighed softly, patting the dog's head as he sat down at his feet. He felt a little better for always talking to Jude now. He felt it was really a child's thing to do, but he hadn't been able to help himself and now he wouldn't stop. Although if Jude told his Nana all his secrets he'd be pretty put out. He scratched Jude behind the ears as Emma Jean answered.

So. Not only did she have his Nana's number programmed in her phone, but knew her well enough to call her Edy? He pursed his lips and almost hung up. This was ludicrous. He had no idea what to even say to Emma Jean. Honestly he was a little afraid that she would reveal his Nana to actually be insane, and so far he hadn't come to that conclusion... but what if Emma Jean denied everything she ever said. He shook his head. If that was going to happen he'd rather not talk over the phone. He guessed the distance to town... and Kai was a pretty fast runner.

"Well thats fine. I'm going to guess they have something against dogs too, but I'll meet you there in about an hour." Kai responded. He hung up without waiting for an answer, because even if Emma Jean decided she wasn't going to stick around for him he was going for a run either way. "Come on, Jude." He said, moving back upstairs. He changed clothes, taking the button up off over his head rather than just unbuttoning it and leaving it on his bed. He grabbed a moisture-wicking tank top in a bright green, nearly lime color. It had his last name across the back of his shoulders. He pulled on shorts after that and then grabbed a back pack too. It was small and light, designed to be ran with. He pulled on socks and finally his running shoes. As an after thought, he grabbed the pocket knife he usually carried around out of his jeans and slid it into the pocket of his shorts. He doubted it would do much against anything, but he'd rather have it with him anyway. He brought the bag downstairs, looking in the fridge and frowning before rummaging around the cupboards until he found two water bottles. He filled them with water and stuck that, a few treats, doggie bags, and a small bowl for Jude into the book bag.

He stopped to look at the crossword puzzle laying atop the table. He sucked his teeth a moment and then found a note pad and pen. He scrawled out a quick note to his Nana so she wouldn't worry. 'Gone into town to meet Emma Jean. I'll be back before dinner.' He left his cell phone number underneath since he doubted she had it, and if Emma Jean had reception in town then hopefully he would too. He picked up the leash and then decided not to use it. In the city, it had been mandatory to have Jude on the leash. But he knew Jude didn't need it, so he put it into the book bag too just in case and tilted his head to Jude. "Alright..."

Kai moved out to the front porch again. He stared across the road towards the corn fields for a few moments. But Nana had said it would be alright to go out... Hopefully she meant so far out. He scratched the back of his head, stretched, and then left the safety of the porch and into the hot. The sun felt like it might boil his blood, and he knew when he got to running it'd be even hotter. He'd just make sure not to overheat, that was all. Kai started at a jog, but quickly got up to full speed. Jude loped along beside him. Kai often took Jude running with him, and the dog knew to stay by his side and not hang him up on scents or anything else when he was on the leash. Hopefully he'd remember that now off-leash.

Inhaling the hot air was almost like inhaling freshly made soup. It was hot and heavy, invading his senses as he ran. But there was no smaug and no car exhaust and any other pollution to inhale, so it was pure and sweet. It was onions and the distinct smell of still-growing corn that Kai had never experienced before. Even if it was hotter than he was used to, it was nice. The run did wonders to clear his head, too. He didn't have to think about much of anything except where he was going. Exactly what he needed.

He DID keep looking at the corn fields though. Most of the road on his left was corn, but he was running on the right side near the fields of... well... Kai wasn't really sure what it was. Something. Maybe even just long grasses, for all he knew. Either way, he preferred it over the corn. He was about half way to town when Jude veered off to one side and stopped to potty. Kai lingered near the dog but jogged in place. He took that opportunity to get some water into his system. It was almost shockingly cold to the touch even if it had only come out of the faucet and hadn't been chilled. He drank about a quarter of it until Jude finished, and then he put it into his pack and kept running.

When they finally did make it to town, Kai was a lot more at ease with the situation. He had also slowed down to a jog again, and only stopped when he found someone at least vaguely normal looking to ask for directions to the library. While he stopped, he drank some more, putting Jude's bowl down onto the ground and giving him a good helping of water too. He was sweating quite a lot, and when guy he'd asked walked off he waited for Jude to finish, picked up the bowl again, and then went off towards the library. He stood in front of it and then turned on his heel to look at Jude. "Sit." He told the dog, wiping sweat off his forehead. He was pretty sure Jude would stay there on his own, but he took out the leash and clipped it to his collar anyway. He promptly tied it around the ancient looking bike rack in front of the library. Really it was just to let people know he wasn't a dog who had gotten lose or something. He put the dog's bowl down with more water in it, even if he wasn't expecting to be in the library long. He gave Jude a final pat and then slid into the cool of the library.

Even if the air wasn't working as well in here it felt like Heaven. He glanced towards the desk at the front, not really sure where to go now. His eyes searched for red hair before he slipped his hands into his pockets. His right hand fiddled with the pocket knife, opening and closing it carefully. He was really hoping Emma Jean was here, because if Nana wasn't going to tell him everything he needed to get something confirmed by someone.

Emma Jean stared at her phone for a few seconds before she clicked to hang it up. Her mouth had dropped open just a little bit, but she clamped it shut again. That…wasn't Edith. No, that was Kai, and he was coming here. He was coming here, and either he had the Key already, and they were in danger, or he was coming here, and he didn't have the Key already, and they were in danger. Either way, the danger was high.

Wonderful. Won-der-fuuul.

Emma raked her fingers through her hair after dropping the phone into the pocket of her shorts, and began her pacing again. Stonehenge next to the Civil War…Magna Carta right between the Pyramids.

No. No, no. She wouldn't wait the hour.

She'd go home. If he couldn't find her, then he couldn't ask his million and one questions.

How much did Edy tell him? How much did she leave out? No. She could not leave. She tried to put on her face. Her 'I'm Emma Jean, I don't care about rules, I shot the sheriff and the deputy for fun' face. And she caught a glimpse of herself in a window. She paced until she grew tired. And then she began to build.

Kai would find her in her dark corner of the library amongst a scale model of the Eiffel Tower, made out of books on France's history. (And Finland's history too, since she couldn't find enough about Frnace.) She was sitting against a shelf, actually reading one of the books she had taken down. She didn't know enough about Finland, she found.

When Emma Jean saw him, she dog-eared the page, standing up quickly. She put her finger to her lips, and turned, beckoning him to follow her. She led the way to the old microfiche room, which, bizarrely still held a lone operational microfiche machine and a few boxes of film on the table beside it. She flipped on the light, which hummed and buzzed angrily like bees were trapped inside. The rest of the room was obviously a storage area because it was filled with boxes of torn books, office supplies and a now defunct card catalog system.

Emma Jean shook her head, going to wipe at least fifteen years worth of dust from the card catalog, and opened up a drawer labeled Aa-Ae. She skimmed through the cards before looking to Kai. "Two questions. One, do you have the Key?" That would determine whether or not they were staying here in the center of town or fleeing to a safer location. "Two, what has Edy told you already? I need a baseline, if I'm going to be spilling everything." She eyed him at last, noting the sweat on his shirt and waved her hand in front of her nose. "Three, did you run here? On a hot day? Yer sweating like a sinner in church."

Kai's eyes finally landed on Emma Jean. He as lucky the library wasn't huge like they were back in the city. He briefly glanced at the Eiffel Tower, wondering vaguely if that was something done by the library staff or Emma Jean. Forgetting about that, he looked back towards Emma Jean and then, quietly as he was bid, followed her into the room. He stared at the machine a moment. Honestly, he had no idea what that thing was, and if Emma Jean hadn't been hunting through the drawers for something he would have thought the only reason she had turned it on was because of the noise it made.

He was about to tell Emma Jean why he was here, but suddenly he didn't have to. Apparently, the two of them were in on something together after all. He pushed his glasses up his face as he waited to hear her questions. Opening his mouth to speak, he shut it once more so that she could ask her third question.

"Er... yeah, I did." He answered her third question first. While she was looking at the cards he snuck a whiff of himself quickly. He was pretty sure he had enough deodorant on, but now Emma Jean had him all self-conscious. He didn't smell anything though, and shook his head a little. "I mean, its just what I do. Running... don't have a license so..." He shrugged. What was wrong with running into town? He shook his head, pushing himself back onto the subject of why he was here though.

"I do not have the key." Kai added, shaking his head again but this time much slower. "And if you ask me, Nana hasn't told me much at all. She said the key goes to a gate that The Company is wanting to open to get something from, and its got protective properties, or something. And apparently she can speak to my dog. She said basically only you, her, and Farley know about... whatever this is... and the scarecrows are trying to get the key for The Company..." He was pretty sure that was it. Kai impatiently pushed his glasses up again. They always slid down annoyingly when he was sweaty. He thought about getting contacts, but touching his eye on purpose weird-ed him out and he didn't think he'd like to wear them just for that reason alone. "But, I mean, that still leaves a lot out, I feel like. She wouldn't tell me anything else though, cuz she said she had to go lie down."

Emma Jean listened to what he had said Edith told him. Honestly she was surprised she had said so much. But apparently she hadn't gone into details. The details were the important stuff, and of course she had skipped out before launching into them. "Alright." Emma Jean said, nodding her head a little. "First, you don't have to worry about the scarecrows. They are after the Key, but they can't get the Key. At most they are like neon signs that point the Company in the direction of the Key. Funnily enough, the Key protects Edith and the house, so even if the Company found her, they wouldn't be able to get it." She shook her head, waving her hands in front of her face as if she wanted to erase that last sentence. "No, that's not a good place to begin. Forget I said that." She closed the card catalog, and leaned up against it. Where was a good place to begin? There was literally 130 odd years of history to sort through. She wondered where Annabelle had begun when she told Edith about the Key.

"I'm not sure how much I can tell you right here." She peered out of the thin window in the door as she spoke. "I mean, there is much, much more, but there's a certain level of urgency and imminent danger and possible death which surround learning about the Key and taking possession of the Key. Fun, right?" She grinned a little, in spite of the overwhelming fear that crawled along her nerves.

"Alright, we'll start with what the Company wants. They want what's on the other side of the Gate." That of course, was a given and Edith had said as much. "You remember how I said Neverwhere was my life? It literally is my life, in a manner of speaking. Using Gaiman's terms…Welcome to London Above!" She made a sweeping gesture. "I am from London Below. We'll discuss that later. Anyway, it's another world, known as Ianusia, accessible from Earth by Gates. The Company wants into Ianusia because there are things there that can make life here either very, very easy or very, very hard, depending on who is using it. They were there once, but they got kicked out when the Ianusians figured out what they were up to. They want to go back in. And they have wanted this for 131 years. Follow so far?"