Burning Away

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ethan sat, quietly, as the question Lily asked hung in the air like a lead weight. Fiddling with the empty glass in his hand, it was impressive the man was still cognitive after downing so much of the strong drink. After a few more moments, Ethan finally spoke up, "I know I can take Keilaudrin. There isn't a nation more divided than Keilaudrin." Ethan replied, seemingly ignoring the events that transpired this morning. After a moment, Ethan stood up and walked over to the fire, standing in front of it, seemingly ignoring his two guests. The silence penetrated the room with it's uncomfortableness, until Ethan once more began to speak, "Back when I was the Crown Prince, around the age of 19, I was considered the greatest swordsman to ever live - at least to Alinor's knowledge. So, naturally, I was charged with defending the capital from the various factions who wanted to establish themselves as king of Alinor, while my father fought open battles." Ethan slowly turned to face the group as he spoke, clearly relaxed and not nearly as stiff before, "The capital was only sieged once, by a man that styled himself 'The King of Swords'. He had the largest host out of the whole nation. Nearly 80,000. I had only 7,000." Ethan seemingly chuckled at this, making his way back to the table to fill up his glass one more time. "The man stood 6'5'', and weighed nearly 250 pounds. A man made of pure muscle. Even before the war he was legendary for his strength. Luckily, I was legendary for my skill." Ethan sipped on his drink, making a grimace as he soon realized that this was a horrible idea, "For the first three days of the siege, none of us slept. I had our soldiers constantly up on the walls, patrolling in quick shifts, in order to give the appearance we had a larger force. Eventually, The King of Swords came to the gate with terms. If I surrendered Lily Palace to him, he'd take me as a hostage and spare my men. I counter-offered. Single Combat. Winner takes Lily Palace." Ethan chuckled a little bit, as if recalling a funny joke at this point, "I was lucky, as he truly believed I had nearly 20,000 men defending the Palace, instead of the meager 7,000. He saw it as a much easier way to take the Palace. So we fought at sunset." Ethan's face was still impressed with the unseen hilarity of the situation, "The man drew his great sword, and I drew Harmony, my family's sword." At this point, Ethan's giggling reached almost uncontrollable levels, desperately trying to contain himself so he could tell his story. After a moment, Ethan put up four fingers, showing them each to Lily and Maria, "The fight lasted a total of four seconds. The King of Swords apparently had had the shits for a week by that point, and was beyond dehydration. As he hefted his great sword, he collapsed to his knees from exhaustion, and I shoved Harmony through his chest to end the fight." Ethan's laughter reached uproarious, by this point. After a moment of laughing, he started to wrap up his story, "From that moment on, the man was written in books, and spoke of as 'The King of Shits'." Ethan once again released a massive gale of laughter, taking a few moments before it died down, "Unfortunately, his son took command and attacked Lily Palace five days later. I was saved by the forces of one of my father's splinter armies, just before the Palace fell." Ethan's giggling and laughter had now died down to a slightly somber smirk, that remained on his face as he took another drink from his glass.

Lily leaned back in her seat, emptying her glass once more. She was only just beginning to feel the effects of the alcohol. She refilled her glass again, listening as Ethan explained his reasoning for invading Keilaudrin. The country's internal division certainly would make it easier to take. She suspected Keilaudrin was only the first step in Lindwell's plan, however. As she mulled over this information and began sipping on her freshly poured drink, Ethan began to speak again. He went off into a story about his days as the prince of Alinor. She wasn't sure exactly what he was getting at, but she listened closely. About halfway through the story, she took a great gulp from her glass. "That's... a lovely name for a palace."

Ethan went on with the story, Lily leaning forward against the table and watching him as he spoke. There seemed to be something funny about the story, some detail she was missing, because Ethan seemed less and less able to control his giggling as it continued. The man was an enigma. Only moments ago he had been discussing conquest and murder, and now he was laughing like a schoolboy. Lily continued, half-expecting to never discover the root of this hilarity, that was, until Ethan dropped 'King of Shits'. The girl's visage cracked, and she giggled loudly, covering her face with her hand. At least he had a sense of humor. As Ethan's laughter stopped, so too did her own. She took another sip from her drink as he reached the story's conclusion.

Maria's eyes slowly lowered as Lindwell opted not to reply to either of them. Their spoken loyalty was seemingly enough for the man, or, the alcohol was taking effect. She managed a few more acrid sips of her drink as he rose and put himself over by the fire. Her attention was on him, but her eyes continued to watch the table. Time passed, she felt warmth slowly creeping back into her. It was the alcohol, she realized. It was too late to simply stop drinking, however. Her head turned to watch Morgan, studying his silhouette by the fire. He started to speak then, and for the first few moments the story interested her. It was his past, something that promised to be enlightening on her situation. Maria Trinan had little taste for war stories, and quickly looked back to the table with a bowed head as Ethan went on. His laughter rang in her ears as he made a spectacle out of the duel. Whatever entertainment he found in the tale was lost on her, it seemed like a distasteful thing to glorify. The incessant giggling began to wear on her before long, and the soldier took a deeper swig to further drown out her senses. Lily joined in, adding to the giggling when Thomas gave his punchline. "Unfortunate," she said, commenting on the poor man's title. If there was any consolation in it for him, at least his tarnished name was providing more mirth to people than his existence likely ever did. "What happened to the capital after that?" She asked, filling the silence with the first thing that came to mind.

Ethan smiled as Lily mentioned that the name of the capital was a beautiful name, the hilarity evident. In a slightly annoyed tone, it seemed, Maria finally joined in on the conversation, asking a more serious question and detracting from war stories. Ethan put himself in deep thought for a while, before responding, "After the siege, and the resulting victory for the loyalist forces, most of the factions that actually posed a threat had been eliminated, causing the remaining to rally behind a man, a friend of my fathers. Lily Palace was sieged only once more after that, but it was a siege that lasted roughly 230 days. Possibly the most miserable I've ever been." Ethan replied, the memories of old putting himself into a reflection type of mood, "Eventually, they assaulted us, but we managed to hold them back. The assault lasted nearly two full days. Two whole days of bloody fighting." Ethan nodded his head, as if confirming this was fact, "I sat out the rest of the war sitting in Lily Palace while my father won the war, after that. That Civil War lasted nearly 3 whole years, claiming nearly 2 million lives in the process. 1/4th of the total population of Alinor." Ethan frowned slightly, and put his head back, knocking down the rest of his drink, and slamming it down on the table once more.

Lily glanced towards Maria as she spoke, taking another sip of her drink. Evidently the woman wasn't as amused by the man's humor as much as she was. Lily pondered for a moment. Perhaps the street had made her more fond of such things. She shrugged, sipping on her drink as Ethan continued on. She frowned at the mention of the siege. The thought of being trapped for that long brought a bitter taste to her mouth. Then again, she had always had a fear of being held prisoner. Captivity was death, as far as she was concerned. The war sounded as though it had taken a great toll on Alinor, and possibly on Morgan himself, if his face was any indication. She wondered how great of a role that incident had played in creating the man that stood before them now.

"That sounds awful, being trapped like that." She took a sip from her drink. She didn't know what else to say about it. After all, she wasn't a soldier, unlike her compatriots. Her stories were of a different nature. Her eyes glanced to Maria once more, curious about the woman's history. Downing the rest of her drink, Lily spoke up. "What about you Maria, do you have any stories?" She refilled her glass, remembering the last time she'd asked about Maria's story. Then, she'd felt obligated to reply with one of her own. Perhaps she would tonight, though she was doubtful on how well a thief's tale would go over with her current audience.

Gareth had carefully eyed that trio leave out the door of the Pidgeon, and within a few minutes after finishing his beverage sedately, the young man vacated the table with an empty glass, that looked freshly washed next to a sizable tip that would certainly put a smile on the thrifty, diligent server's features, and with a deafening silence, that brought no footsteps and implied that nobody had even sat at that table. Outside, Harker strolled through the now-packed streets and made shallow footprints in his wake while he trekked to the House of Affairs, a plain but mousy expression worn on his face. Quietly the squire noted the sudden emergence of a large number of people reminiscent of the mornings in Mullen that he missed much already, and Gareth fondly regarded the people and the life. Even amidst the energy of people making haste on business in the city, however, he could feel the aura of their suffering; there were some gaunt figures lining along the streets and beggars sitting in the alleys, these vagrants certainly more numerous than the vagrants of Mullen. Harker turned a blind eye for now, but internally he shuddered and hurt for them. A pair of guards pulled the doors to the House for him, and the Keilaud thanked their patronage before he entered, shaking the snow from his boots on the mat. He wouldn't be there long, he believed, so he simply scurried about the halls for the office he recalled. There Gareth left two timid, anticipating knocks.

Maria slowly nodded her head as Morgan finished telling her about the aftermath. One bow of her head was all she could really give Alinor. That was war. Ethan knew the same cold, dark process of elimination that she did, and that made his desire to conquer Keilaudrin all the more perplexing to her. He only spoke briefly of the civil cost of their civil war, but he had to know it. As she stared blankly into the man, she decided, for whatever time it was, to abandon trying to find an answer in him. They were similar, but somewhere along the line something became deviant in one of them. The result, she looked upon. At any rate, she was assigned to the warlord. She had once considered him a warlord in the making, but even as a youth someone had thrust military command upon him. Of course he had tasted blood before, but now she knew more of the quantity. Trinan stood and turned away from Morgan, walking back over to the jug and pouring herself another glass of the acid. Standing there with her drink, her eyes wandered lazily over the table, fatigue coloring her motions. It was strange to feel tired for once, but now that the drink had its hooks in her she had even more reasons to avoid sleeping at the estate. Her eyes caught and latched on a blue set looking back at her, and as if Lily could sense her contemplations the girl at the table asked her for a story. Grimacing uncontrollably, Maria threw back the contents of her glass and poured another serving. It was funny, the worse she felt up top the less her stomach bothered her. Generally, cheap liquor did the opposite, but she wasn't going to split hairs on how she was responding to everything that had happened in the day.

"A few," she said, closing her eyes and thinking over the tales in her head a moment. "I grew up in Lachne during the war." She stopped a moment, looking between the two foreigners at the table. "A civil war, like yours. It bordered Keilaudrin, actually. There are a lot of stories about my homeland now, but that's all that's left." She shrugged, and took another pull from her cup. Given who was asking, she felt at least a little obligated to reply. Everyone else at the table had shared some truth that night, it wasn't like her to remove herself from a grouping like that. On the other hand, she didn't really have a story as cheery as Morgan's was. Maria sighed, head leaning left then right in thought as she selected her words. "I was left at an abbey in a town called Edeur. If it wasn't for the war, I'd be some boring priestess without a name," She stopped laughter, exhaling a little and stiffening as her mind skimmed over the rest of the plot. Her eyes dropped down, and she noticed that her hands were shaking. The liquid in her glass rippled gently with the trembling. "That's where it stops being a drinking kind of story," She said and smiled up at the others. "You want to hear anything in particular?" The girl looked between Morgan and Lily, unsure on sullying the atmosphere but feeling obliged to match their confessions with her own.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two knocks sounded in the silence, and Wolcott's head lifted from his work. The red coated marshal sat alone, waiting in Boyd's office for the other officer's return and the conclusion of his first day's work in the capital. Whatever was occurring with finding the poor Keilaud dignitary some appropriate lodging in this weather was bound to be utterly dreary stuff, he was glad that his work was limited only to dirty, direct tasks. War had suited him, paper had suited Boyd, and nowhere was that different more apparent than the offices of the two men. The office he sat in was a lonely affair, the kind of place a man only spent as much time as was required of him. The desk sat in the middle of an empty room, surrounded by empty chairs and adorned only by the papers of Boyd's station. Wolcott himself had added nothing to the assortment, his writing was being done on one of the many personal pads stocking the desk. The curtains had been drawn shut over the depressingly gray day outside, leaving the room in a murky kind of half light. Silhouetted still against the lit curtains, the chair Trinan had been using. His thoughts had been with the scout, or more appropriately, her charge, for the better part of the day. Lindwell was a useful man, for however caustic his interactions with the government usually were. Boyd had been doing... something to keep the man occupied and he was sure the details would only agitate him with intense bureaucratic nonsense. In the mean time, Wolcott's office had promised him aid, aid that was simply impossible. Of course, he would come to resent Arcartus. For a brief moment, the marshal was left to think 'who didn't?' Attending once more to the knocks at his door, he rose up from the chair and made his way over to the locked wooden fixture. Alexander disengaged the deadbolt and pulled the door open, his eyes slowly settling onto the figure of Gareth Harker standing in the doorway. Oh dear, he thought at once, wondering where exactly his marshal had gone. "Greetings," he said, taking a step back and gesturing inwards. His demeanor showed none of the intense apprehension he felt at the sight of the youth. "What brings Keilaudrin back so soon, Mister Harker?"​

In regards to the letter, Astoria's expectations were quite low. Usually it was penned by one of her sisters. They were the sort that became bored at their married life with their abundance of offspring, and would tell Astoria all about it. She always assumed this was a product of her mother goading them to preach the splendor of becoming a proper lady. Astoria didn't have time to take someone's hand in marriage, and even less time to procreate. There were enough De'Marconias' in the world. Then again it could be a letter from one of her brothers, speaking about war and its causalities. Maybe it was an invitation to a ball, gala, or the like? Yet when Astoria took the letter and eyed the seal, she was surprised to learn that she didn't recognize it.

The messenger gave a brief synopsis of the letter. Astoria was immediately intrigued. She returned to her desk to procure a letter opener, and took to delicately slicing it open. Alexander Wolcott was a very precise man, Astoria mused. Many ladies might find that a bit off putting, but it tickled Astoria's fancy. Nothing appealed to her more than cordial bluntness. Not to mention that he was the Grand Marshal. That was a step up from dealing with lower politicians and ineffectual ambassadors.

Astoria eyed her attire. She was dressed to ward off the chilling cold, not to entertain guests. Usually she was the sort of person to match the occasion with the dress. While not ensconced in fashion and all its frills, it did not suit her to look uncultured. Still, there wasn't much time to handle such small things. The Grand Marshal would probably appreciate her punctuality as opposed to the cut of her dress and the flavor of her teas.

"Tell Marshal Wolcott that I can receive him at his earliest convenience. I can be found in my offices during the day, but I will retire to the De'Marconias estate in the evening time." Astoria said as she penned the same sentiment on parchment. It wasn't that she didn't trust the messenger's memory, but who knew how many more stops he had to tend too. Astoria didn't want her response jumbled. She melted a glob of wax on the letter and applied her own seal. It was half the De'Marconias crest and half the House of Affairs. She picked up the letter and gave it a few good shakes in the air to dry it off before she handed it to the messenger. "Now if you'll excuse me. I must tend to acquiring the maximum amount of paper cuts as I can." She motioned to her covered desk with a sigh. "Good day."

'Lachne'. That word rang in Ethan, and even though he had dulled senses, woke him up slightly from his drunken stupor. Intently, Ethan listened, taking a short stroll over to the fire as he did so. He had remembered the reports all too well. Many at court had advocated sending a relief group, that'd take food and supplies for refugee camps in the nation. Ethan held back a smirk as he remembered volunteering on the first, and last, time they had attempted it. One hour after crossing the border, they had been assaulted by bandits. Normally, it'd be fine, but they were armed like an actual army, and outnumbered them 5 to 1. Placing a hand up on the mantle, leaning forward towards the fire, Ethan continued to listen to Maria's 'story'. Ethan had thought Alinor's had been havoc, but they were nothing compared to Lachne. At least in Alinor, a nation still stood at the end of their wars, and brothers didn't commit atrocities to each other over the last piece of food. Ethan nearly shuddered as he remembered all the reports that had came out of Lachne, particularly one that had mentioned a coven of cannibals that had taken on the guise of a church helping refugees. Ethan turned away from the fire, placing his cup on the mantle as he did so, and locked eyes with Maria. Bearing a fierce gaze, Ethan communicated a array of emotions. Respect, judgmental, and caution. Finally, as Maria asked her question, Ethan shook his head slowly, keeping eye contact with the woman, "I've heard the reports. If they are that terrifying on a piece of paper, I can't imagine how terrible they'd be told in person." Ethan replied, wondering briefly if Lily would push the issue, even though he wasn't, "I wouldn't ask anyone to relive those memories."

Lily drummed her fingers gently against the surface of the table. Lachne, that was right, Maria had mentioned the place when they'd met before. She knew very little of it, other than the fact that a war had occurred there and very little had survived. Her eyes flashed to the dark-haired woman as she continued. The girl smirked for a moment as Maria mentioned the prospect of her being a priestess. It wasn't something she could readily picture. As Maria continued, though, Lily began to notice the shaking of her hands. She was holding herself together, but no doubt Lachne held many painful memories. As Ethan chimed in, the girl began to regret her question. She hadn't meant to pry into something so sensitive.

Lily's eyes fell to the table, and shortly thereafter her hand reached out towards the cup before her. She turned the glass up, scarcely even recognizing the alcohol's burn at this point. It was clear Lachne wasn't a conversation one wanted to have under such conditions. Her mind scrapped the idea of pushing that particular conversation any further. Her fingers stopped their drumming. "How'd you end up over here, then?" She wondered how someone could've ended up working for a foreign power on the opposite side of the continent. She frowned for a moment. She was pretty far from home herself.

Gareth stood in the silence of the hallway for a few moments of making himself presentable before the door swung open and revealed Alexander Wolcott, the Grand Marshall. "Hello," Harker greeted, and he entered the room at Wolcott's invitation. "I have the terms of agreement for the embassy. So soon, I know, but they're simple." Gareth rummaged through his bag and withdrew the sealed parchment. The young man handed the paper over to Wolcott for delivery as the squire took a glance around the still room that was as dim as it was that morning. He furrowed his brow while he surveyed the premises, and with curiosity setting in, he posed Wolcott a question. "Where's the marshall? Has he not returned?" Gareth felt his heart beginning to race, redness reached his face, and his hands quaked. He thought that Boyd was safe. If all was well, Boyd should've been back to tell the tale of Gareth and Boyd's little investigation. But if Boyd hadn't returned, what could've happened? All manner of possible answers disturbed the squire as he entertained each hypothetical tragedy.

Trinan held Ethan's gaze, smiling faintly as her dulled mind recognized a lack of pity on the man's face. She remembered being an ill clothed girl, forever marked a foreigner by dark hair and green eyes, living on her own in Arcartus. She had grown such a resentment for that look, so long ago. It was mostly gone now, she hated to be coddled by strangers and that was the remainder of its legacy. She felt a strange kind of relief when he told she didn't need to continue. They could go on being happy little traitors drinking absolutely awful swill and her own truth was still on the table, in a sort of way. They were comrades? Her idiot smile deepened, and Maria finished the contents of her glass again. After refreshing her cup, she decided not to chance walking back to her seat. Standing was more comfortable for the soldier, after all, she'd been sitting and waiting for Lindwell all the morning anyway. A little chuckle escaped her mouth after she was allowed to stop. "Some of them are correct." Vague recollections of the state military's documents on the situation came back to her. Many were destroyed after the war, citing some mishap in paperwork that her fellow officers had all come to call the Lachne Aberration. Another silly legend for the heap. "Don't get the wrong idea, I just like the mood," she said, raising her glass a little. Her eyes fell on Lily after she posed another question. Maria's eyes brightened, that was something she could answer cheerily. If you forgot all the context, the story of how she became a professional soldier for the Arcarti government was even a bit of a comeback tale.

"I walked here," the girl said simply. "There was a man named Alexander Wolcott, he was just a captain then." Her eyes flashed over to Ethan for a moment, wondering how exactly the tale could be misconstrued. "I hear that there were actually other survivors from Edeur with him, running as fast they could for the borders when the Arcartis decided to give up on the country. Most of the time, I was alone though." She shuddered, taking a shot from her glass immediately to remedy the unpleasant sensation. "Whoever else got out, good for them. There were thirty eight of us at the abbey, I haven't heard from any of them since." She'd watched most of them die, there others were dead only by rumor. "I actually met Wolcott's company somewhere in the middle of Kastovetia, way outside Lachne. Nobody asked any questions, but." Maria started to laugh, arresting her amusement only with another swig of booze. "An awkward girl wearing a soldier's jacket and a torn up cloak walking down the highway, there's only so many explanations, you know?" She rocked on her heels, fussing with the collar of her shirt and massaging the bridge of her nose. Somewhere along the line fatigue had transformed into warmth. Despite her thin clothing, it felt as though each drink was slowly piling blankets atop her. With a sigh, she leaned forward and continued. "I really liked soldiers. The ones we treated at the abbey... aid work and such, they were always so nice. Of course, never thought I'd end up as one. Nobody knew me in Arcartus. There was nothing left for me. I couldn't work, I was unhinged, every night I woke up screaming. In a few years I would have either been dead in an alleyway or swinging from a noose." Her eyes slowly slid closed, the soldier slowly let a look of satisfaction come over her face. "I pledged myself to service instead." Silence fell, the girl in the vest swayed gently on her feet in contemplation. Had she said too much? Whatever, it was wrong to hold anything back, this was their little camp. There wasn't any actual bread to break, but it was there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wolcott's visage didn't crack, but internally he flinched when Gareth mentioned the marshal, and the most important part, the implication that Harker had no idea where he was. Lovely. "Thank you," he said flatly, accepting the messenger's letter and turning to set it down on the desk for later. Whatever he was asking for didn't matter, he had every intention of meeting every demand made. He bade his time for a few moments, holding his chin in mock contemplation of wherever the other marshal had gone. There was no point in lying, though. "I haven't seen Boyd since he left. I imagine he's out running some personal errand or another. Ludrick can be a very busy man when he actually has something to be interested in," he said with his gentle smile. Alexander turned away from the door again, walking back over to his desk and rearranging some of the papers on its surface, leaving the letter out in front of his seat. "At least the weather has let up, wherever he is, he's likely attending the many affairs of the state." That was easy enough to tell himself, but the fact of the matter was that he had been counting on Boyd to be back. As a matter of fact, Boyd was supposed to be present for turning Trinan over to Lindwell. A witness was needed for that particular right of retainer, but he figured the way he planned on things going it wouldn't matter much.

George Stovall minded his business as the woman went about hers, watching the many fixtures of the office in various states of disinterested contemplation. No doubt, there were many more deliveries in his day, but each one entailed the proper degree of waiting for and receiving responses. His understanding of the situation was limited, he was just the messenger, but the reasons for the letter being sent were limited. Ultimately his curiosity was worthless, there were more answers in the delivery than the actual letter more often not. It was a strange game every messenger played, probably the only entertainment most of them got, and he had been at it so long that Stovall forgot if he had began with any real interest in it. His eyes clicked back over to De'Marconias as the woman finished her business across the office and began to return. The trained smile returned to his face as he cataloged her response. It was one of many he would be returning, but the messenger was acutely aware of how important his current job was in comparison to the other generic communications of the realm. "I'm certain the Marshal will be most pleased. I will relate your terms to him exactly, although, most regrettably, I do not come to you equipped with Wolcott's preference in timing." There wasn't anything more he was quite at liberty to say. Anyone asking at the post would be told the number of letters he was circulating, but for a messenger to divulge such things was out of place. He accepted the woman's parchment graciously, bowing gently with his hand outstretched before putting the document in one of his many pockets. "Good day to you madam, and... good luck with the papers," George said, bowing a little just one more time before turning and departing from the office. He set the door in place quietly behind him, and made his way back towards the streets. There were a few more letters to deliver before the day was through, and before he was done pulling his gloves back on the courier was searching his memory for the choicest route through the city.​

Ethan visibly flinched when Lily asked another question about Maria's personal history. Before Maria even spoke, Ethan had guessed the answer correctly. He remembered the reports of the Arcarti Military taking refugees out of the nation, while they themselves were on the way out. Surprisingly, Maria talked candidly about the subject, talking more than she had for the entire day. Instead of interjecting, or speaking, Ethan stood quietly and allowed his retainer to finish speaking, explaining her story. Ethan had experienced what he deemed hell, during the sieges and during his bloody swathe through Alinor, but nothing quite on this level. What Maria experienced wasn't something being skilled with the sword, or leading men, could get you through. Maria was a survivor, in the truest form of the word. Things got bad, she survived. Things got worse, she survived. Things got terrible, and Maria kept on churning. Ethan wondered if he could do the same. He had always been able to rely on skills taught by older men good with swords, or generals who let him squire for them, but never on basic survival skills. Ethan wondered how often the woman awoke from nightmares, or waking to the sounds of her own screams. Ethan had experienced very little of that type of trauma, having learned a long time ago to detach himself from painful events. Sitting in front of him wasn't a career solider, looking to advance her career, nor was it a solider looking to make money. This was a warrior attempting to bury the trauma by becoming something she admired. Her saviors were soldiers. Soldiers that saved a little girl from horrors that were even unknown to Ethan. It all started to make sense to Ethan now. She wanted to become the embodiment of the soldiers that saved her. She wanted to be the soldiers, and save some little girl that was suffering. Quietly, Ethan stepped back over to the table, and poured himself a drink, sipping on it quietly. By this time, Ethan's cheeks had begun to redden, and he swayed slightly from side-to-side as he stood.

Gareth's eyes widened. If Boyd was expected here, and neither Gareth nor Wolcott had seen the marshal, then that left Boyd's whereabouts ambiguous. Harker brought a hand to his face and wiped nonexistent tears from his face. "While we were out..." The young man stared at the floor and shifted anxiously, his shoulders tensed and a shiver visibly crawling in his skin. He looked away from Wolcott at the window, the curtains now drawn over the chilly scene outside. "We found something..." If Gareth's suspicions held true, Boyd could be missing or, worse yet, in grave danger. "We came to the place where I would be lodged with other people dealing in Arcarti business. But the place looked decrepit. Some monster tore through there, and we found two guards there who survived whatever happened. They, too, should've returned here." Gareth returned his gaze to Wolcott. "The marshal could still be there, sir, something could've happened. I knew, I knew... I shouldn't have, shouldn't have left him alone..." His composure broke, and the young man looked on the verge of panic and tears, with a great, discomforting, guilty heat rising in his chest.

Lily listened closely to Maria's tale, noticing her change in demeanor. The blonde girl leaned forward against the table, sipping from her drink every few moments, her full attention focused on her new comrade. She recognized Wolcott's name from the earlier conversations, she'd have to learn more about the man, but that could wait. A sincere smile spread across her face. Her cheeks were slightly rosy now, an effect brought about by a combination of the alcohol and the frigid weather. She found Maria's story inspirational. She had never known the type of hellish conflict that her compatriots had experienced, no, her own terrors had been personal, small, and insignificant in comparison. Even so, she somehow felt there was a connection between them. After a moment of silence, she spoke. "That's... really quite impressive, Maria." Her voice sounded different somehow. One might've blamed it on the alcohol, or perhaps, just for a moment, she slipped from her facade.

Ethan made no comment on Maria's story, but the girl could see some kind of understanding within him. Lily looked around the room for a moment, appreciating the odd identity of the group. An exiled king, a soldier from a country ravaged by war, and a former thief. She smirked, realizing how out of place she seemed amongst them. Things often turned out that way, though. She noticed Ethan swaying slightly and downed another glass. She fancied herself a connoisseur of alcohol by this point in her life, but she was beginning to feel the effects of the sour mash as well.

Apparently she hadn't, and that was good. Maria kept up her sleepy smile, casually downing the rest of her drink without much concern for what had once nearly knocked her down. She'd landed with easygoing people, things were manageable. Whoever Lindwell was, she felt like she no longer needed answers about him. The ones he gave were enough, they weren't kin but they were of a kind, so to speak. He might have been a warlord but there was too much unifying them to discredit. The only thing keeping her from saying such was a level of restraint she previously did not believe existed in her. No matter what came next, she could respect the man. Or I'm drunk. Lily too, the girl hadn't said much and everything Maria knew about her up until that point had been pretty much false, but falsehoods with enough of the truth in them that she didn't care. Even if the girl had lied, Trinan understood what it was like to be in that position. Only chance, and perhaps exasperation, had seen her telling Lily the truth back then anyway. In all her life, she'd never thought of her work as impressive, but it wasn't her place to decide. If Lily thought that much of her unsightly struggling, Maria wouldn't disagree. Drunk. "All I could ask for," she mumbled. The soldier refilled her glass, giving herself only a small measure, and made to return to her seat. After ignoring her legs for so long, she was surprised to find out that they hardly worked. The world spun harshly when she moved, a mixture of colors and indistinct senses that made it hard to differentiate up from down. Instinctively, she shot out a free hand to catch herself before she began to fall. Gripping the table all the way, she made it back to her seat and threw herself into it. "Maybe next time I'll tell you about Erschald, but..." She stopped, her thoughts turning back to her company. Her words choked in her throat. Losing everyone in her homeland was something she dealt with, turning her back on the only family she had after was new, unresolved, although she certainly had a plan. "Not the way I am right now," she said, putting on a broad, inebriated grin. "That's my bit, and that means there's only one of us left," she added, turning her grin on Lily expectantly.

Wolcott raised an eyebrow at the slowly crumbling youth standing in the middle of his office. No, that wasn't quite right. It was Boyd's office. He'd have to get his own eventually but they were good enough friends that it simply wasn't worth doing unless he could best Boyd in some way. Alexander sighed as he worked, piecing together what he could from the scraps of information that Gareth presented. There were only so many ways the day could have played out, things Boyd was apt to do. "He was going to drop you with some soldiers from the Royal Services staying here in Lieda, then. You met one earlier, here. They're pretty reliable sorts, I can see what he was doing." Wolcott began to pace, rapidly tracing a line back and forth behind the desk. He stared only straight ahead, with zero regard for the room around him. What Harker spoke of was a variable he did not previously know of, whose presence interested him greatly. "We could go about asking every guard at the House of Affairs where they were this day, but that's a little impractical and I don't have time for that. Thirty some royal scouts did not go missing, they were out doing something, and someone knew where they were lodged. It was all very amusing in passing, Boyd had a habit of calling those men, particularly their leader, all monsters. The problem was that Trinan had been instructed to instruct her soldiers to do nothing while they were in Lieda, and that was clearly not the case. "At any rate, I think you should relax. Personally, I do not believe in monsters. Whoever ransacked your boarding house had to depart, because the Gendarmerie is all over this city. Boyd is probably still down there getting things sorted out if this incident is as severe as I'm assuming it is," he said, coming to an abrupt stop in his route and cocking his head to look at Gareth. "There was really nobody there besides two guardsmen?"​

"All I heard were the silence... the screams... the breaking of glass... wood being ripped..." Gareth reconstructed the scene in his mind. "It didn't seem like there was anybody else..." He was wobbly and drifting with paranoia, fear, and anxiety. These chaotic spirits imparted on him a sort of clarity of the things that haunted him and a confusion of the reality that he distorted. Was it really the Taggerung? Wolcott didn't believe in monsters. But Wolcott hadn't encountered what Harker had seen back in the day. Gareth looked at the ceiling. "Must we go there?" The only way to figure out if the Gendarmerie went there and if Boyd stayed would be to send for someone to detail the situation or to head there oneself. Gareth locked eyes with Wolcott with the look of a man confronting his past and contemplating something that had come back to haunt him. "I don't want to see anything more bloody than what I've seen before. I don't want to see that follow me here."

Lily watched as Maria made her way to her seat, albeit with quite a bit of difficulty. Lily snickered, noting that the drink seemed to be having a great effect on her companions. Maria turned the conversation over to her, seemingly expecting her to tell her own story. The girl's eyes drifted to the ceiling as she tried to decide if she had a story that would prove even vaguely interesting to the other two. She scratched her chin. "Hmm, I don't know if my story would be terribly interesting in comparison. I'm no soldier." Her fingers began their incessant drumming again. "Like I said before, I was born in Esterl, and from the time I was about..." She tried to remember the exact age where everything had gone wrong. "Twelve? Maybe thirteen? I lived on the streets of Calida with my sister, Elizabeth. We started out doing exactly what every other child in that situation would do. We begged on street corners for bread and water. Needless to say, that didn't exactly keep us fed."

Lily sighed, remembering those days with a slight grimace. She and her sister had taken up residence in a sewer at one point, but that wasn't a detail she was particularly fond of. "When desperation kicked in, we started taking what we needed, and as time went on, we got quite good at it. After a while, people began to flock to us, and we, well, to be honest my sister was more the brains of the operation, but we organized this motley crew of beggars and thieves into something large enough to produce actual results. We weren't stealing bread and fruit anymore. After a while money wasn't even an issue." She smiled, but her eyes grew darker.

"Our jobs grew more and more lucrative, but at the same time more dangerous. Our clientele also became more... diverse. We were on top of the world... but things like that can't last forever." She sighed, the smile gone from her face now. "We were hired by a knight of the Lord's Guard to steal something extremely precious. I got it... but we lost several men, friends I'd had since I was a child. As I was making my escape, I was ambushed, at first I thought I'd been caught by the Guard, but I quickly realized I knew the men who attacked me. They were loyal to my sister. Evidently she wanted the bounty of that particular harvest for herself." Lily's voice was a bit low now. "I escaped the ambush, but only after killing half the men she sent after me. Again, friends. I completed the job, and met with our client. By all rights I should've turned and ran at that point, but I couldn't leave well enough alone."

"I went back to confront my sister, to ask why she'd turned on me like she did. I did eventually find her." Lily chuckled, but there was no warmth. "Apparently her little stunt pissed off a chunk of the organization when they found out. There was a veritable war in the streets over it. You may have heard there's no honor among thieves. That may be true, but there is loyalty to be found even in the most depraved of people." Again, a cold chuckle. "While our life's work crumbled around her, I confronted Elizabeth, demanding the reason for her betrayal. My own sister..." Lily took a deep drink from her glass. "I never got the straight answer out of her. She attacked me on sight. Damn near killed me, too." The girl leaned her head against her hand. "There was always something odd about her, I just wish I would've figured it out."

"Anyway, like I said, she nearly killed me, but she didn't exactly come out scratch-free herself." Lily trembled slightly. "I put four bolts in that woman before she dropped into the river. Shortly thereafter, I left Esterl and haven't been back since." Lily looked up at her companions. "You know, I'd been quite guilty about killing my own sister, but from what I've heard it was misplaced." Her hands were still shaking. "People keep running into her in the strangest places. I have no idea how she survived, but from the sound of things she might be looking for me. Who knows. I haven't seen her since that day, and I've never really stuck around in one place long enough for her to find me." Lily leaned back in her chair, draining the rest of her glass and heaving a sigh that seemed to express relief. "And that's about all there is to me. Again, not exactly a war story, but it's all I've got."

Last edited by a moderator:
Once more, Ethan stood quietly as one of his companions told their own story. Ethan felt slightly smaller than the other two, both of them had told their origin stories, and what got them here today, and the most either one of them had about his origin was small in size. Ethan let loose a small, sigh. It'd be for the best if that wasn't touched on or brought up. Even in his inebriated state, he refused to relive his life as the two others in front of him had. Ethan fought back a scoff, or short laugh, as Lily ended her story. Ethan pictured it ending in a way similar as soon as she mentioned her sister. It was not often that organizations compromised of the lowest in society lasted long, without it tearing itself apart. Brought together by ignoble causes, brought down by ignoble causes. Ethan fought back the need to chastise the young thief, trying to remain polite, by asking her what else she expected to happen. In the end, it appeared that Lily hurt far more people than she helped. Not quite as much as he himself had, but she had done it in a way that Ethan had not. Ethan took a deep gulp from his full cup, appreciating the burn once more, even though through his dulled senses he barely felt it. The jug of sour mash nearly half-empty by this point, making Ethan wonder how much longer the three of them could keep up with this amount of drinking. The exiled king glanced at Lily, giving a knowing glance, before walking himself back over to the fire, to stand in front of it once more.

Maria leaned forward, watching Lily intently as she began her tale. Her grin slowly began to fade as the woman went on. Thieves were a breed apart from the criminals she knew, but knew hunger well enough to understand why someone would steal their food. Lily being a thief didn't bother her as much as the rest of the woman's tragedy did. Family was precious to her, for a while a family had been the only thing she wanted in life. Things had changed, but her values hadn't. The happiness on Maria's face turned entirely to sadness, and she held her eyes on Lily with a droopy, understanding stare. It was about the most articulate show of sympathy she could give at the time. Lily did what she had to to live, Trinan didn't know if she could say the same. If she had a sibling and it came down to the two of them... She shuddered faintly, motion dulled by the weight of the alcohol on her body. "That doesn't mean it's unimportant," Maria said, "I'm sorry, Lily. I can't imagine what that's like." Killing close friends as a matter of survival was a horror she'd never met, even drunk, the thought brought a very familiar resentment out. That horror was very likely in the future. She reached out for her glass to join Lily in drinking away the sad story, but found her fingertips numbly fumbling against the side of the glass. The very last safety in her head decided that enough was enough, and defeated, the soldier reclined in her chair. Don't, it commanded, and her eyes remained open in a horrible facsimile of alertness. She wanted to ask Lily about her sister, if she had any intentions of ever trying to find her supposedly living other half, but she felt it was in poor taste. "At least you don't have to worry about her here," she suggested, glancing over the room. It was close to being right, it was hard to single someone out in a city, but more than that, their little trio looked pretty tough from her seat.

Wolcott's confusion continued to grow as the boy in his office continued. Curiosity was rearing its ugly head in his mind, but he knew better. As a matter of fact, he had better things to be doing. Boyd was a grown, probably armed man conducting his work in Lieda, and the only thing Alexander could see in front of him was evidence that their work had failed for the time being. "No, as a matter of fact, we should not, Sir Ambassador," he said flatly, stepping out from behind his desk. "The State's responsibility is to see you to safety and comfort for your stay in Arcartus. If you have lodging here in Arcartus, I would recommend that you return to them." He stopped abruptly. There was something very visibly shaking the poor messenger and he found himself enraptured in contemplation of what exactly he was not mentioning. At any rate, he'd know before the long. There was a lot of answering to be done on the parts of everyone involved, particularly Boyd. It wasn't like him to fumble something like this, and it certainly didn't suit two of the House's own guards to be embarrassed so thoroughly. As it was, no one had been explicitly harmed by the bizarre play in motion, he doubted that the parties involved wanted the notoriety that blood on their hands would bring. He heaved a heavy sigh, his small frame barely moving large marshal's coat over his shoulders. "Are you going to be okay, Mister Harker, or is there something the State can do for you?" Sympathy felt absolutely horrible on his tongue, Wolcott awkwardly posed his words to the distraught Keilaud.​

Status
Not open for further replies.