IC Black City

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
hh
hh
LEONIDAS
As rewarding as being a doctor can be, it's utterly exhausting. You have to pull long hours nearly every day, soothe various anxieties, deal with frequent criticism (both deserved and undeserved), deal with bureaucratic nonsense, and there never seems to be enough hours in the day to finish everything you'd like to. His fatigue is especially bad today given that it's the end of the week, but at least he gets weekends off, so he can sleep in tomorrow. He's immeasurably excited, even though he only ever spends his weekends at home alone in his pajamas, re-watching one of the various mediocre TV series peddled to consumers.

Before he can start his relaxing, though, he still has more patients to see. Hybrid patients, specifically. Given the ridiculous hierarchy in which their world has become entrenched, hybrids have an unfortunate lack of proper healthcare. He's heard plenty of horror stories about mistreatment from his patients, and he's not blind to the biases that he'd seen in both his medical training and in his colleagues. That was one of the main reasons he decided to open up a private clinic instead of working for a major hospital.

To be fair, some providers stay away from treating hybrids not just out of ridiculous prejudice but also because there's still so much mystery to such individuals. After all, hybrids can be a mix of various species, and the way their traits expose themselves varies from person to person. It's easier to treat purebloods when there is plenty of research and literature on their anatomy and conditions, but there are no clearly defined rules and guidelines for treating hybrids. While such uncertainty can be frustrating when treating a hybrid patient, there's a particular fun in solving the puzzle. Besides, someone has to do it. They can't just let people die. At least, he can't.

While he sees hybrid patients during his regular clinical hours, especially those who pass as purebloods, it's much more common for them to request treatment after-hours to avoid exposing themselves and/or prevent ridicule from other patients. Not that Leonidas or his fellow staff would ever tolerate such behavior on their premises. Still, he'd prefer his patients to be comfortable, and so he acquiesces each time, even if it means more work. More importantly, many hybrids that cannot hide their status cannot find and hold down jobs, leaving them too poor to afford treatment. For these individuals, he specifically requests that they come by at the end of the day so he can look them over for free.

His staff has just gone home, leaving him alone in the tiny clinic with only the gurgling of the coffee machine to keep him company. He only has a few patients to see, so he should get to eat dinner at a reasonable time today. Of course, his last patient is one of his most talkative, so that is subject to change. Isaac Fletcher. The man isn't a hybrid, but he is poor, disabled, and seemingly inept at taking proper care of himself.

Notably, and embarrassingly, he also seems to be infatuated with him. He's no stranger to being asked out by patients with no sense of boundaries, but no one's ever been so relentless as Isaac. Isaac's not particularly off-putting with his pursual of him, though, so he tolerates it to keep the man coming back for exams. If he didn't, there's no doubt the young man's condition would continue to deteriorate.

Okay, so maybe he does a little more than tolerate it. But he's a professional, and he won't cross that line. Eventually, Isaac will get bored and move on to someone else, just as he constantly travels from place to place based on fickle feelings. He just has to put up with his charm until then.

"Dr. Leon?"

Ah, there's his next patient. He really ought to stop daydreaming so much. "Come on in!"

He's late. Of course he is. He really shouldn't be surprised, given that Isaac has been late to pretty much every appointment he's ever had here. Still, his stomach is beginning to rumble with hunger, and the desire to return home and stuff his face with pasta is making it harder to focus. He's gone through another cup of coffee during his time with his last two patients and has just emptied and washed the pot, leaving him with nothing to do but wait, lounging in one of the available chairs and watching out the window.

When he eventually spots Isaac making his way toward the clinic, he joins him at the door, wasting little time in scolding him. "You're late again, Mr. Fletcher. If it happens next time, I may be tempted to remove you from my practice." An empty threat and they both know it. "Now come on, let's head back. Is there anything giving you particular trouble lately?"
@MaryGold
LOCATION | INTERACTIONS | MENTIONS
code by wren.

• According to Plan
Reactions: MaryGold
hh
hh
ETHAN
"Food break, everyone!"

Thank goodness, Ethan's stomach was beginning to eat itself. He offers his scene partner a cheerful "nice work!" as the people around him scatter from the stage and the auditorium to enjoy their break. The theatre looks a little ominous when it's empty, and he makes quick work of crossing the stage floor into the gloomy back. It's cooler in the shadows, and especially in the green room once he gets there. Those hot stage lights are going to be the bane of his existence once they start dress rehearsals. It's rather funny to think that they'll be sweating their butts off while having to pretend they're in the middle of winter. But since the production is set to start during actual winter, maybe the warmth will be somewhat of a relief compared to outside.

His dinner, which he has stored in the tiny fridge provided for the cast and crew, comprises only a turkey sandwich and some water. He probably should have put more thought into it earlier, but he was more focused on getting to work on time for his rehearsal. He only gets a few bites in at one of the green room's tables before his phone goes off. Smirking around his bite, he answers the call without bothering to check the caller ID. "Helloooo my dear," he chirps, confident in the greeting on account of his love for men and Elizabeth's lack thereof. "How are classes going?"

He listens to her ranting while he devours his sandwich as quietly and politely as he can, trying to spare her the mouth noises. A tap on his shoulder draws his attention away toward a familiar redhead, and he breaks into a grin. "Lydia," he greets, putting the call on speaker mode so that Elizabeth isn't left out of the conversation. "Well it's bound to be a ten since you're in it," he flatters, hip to Lydia's game.

He gestures toward the phone as if he were introducing the two in person. "Have you and Elizabeth met before? I feel like you must have. You'd get along famously, I'm sure." They're both charmingly kind people. Maybe that's why Ethan is friends with them both. "Maybe you can join us for our next Disney movie marathon, what do you think, Lizzie?"
code by wren.

Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 5.12.50 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-08 at 5.13.05 PM.png"Thank you for the lovely time."

The emaciated black python that was swallowing Natalia's legs paused at her waist. He had already reassembled his three-piece navy suit, and was pulling the tie tight around his throat. They stood on opposite sides of the king-sized bed and its ruffled sheets.

"That's what you always say." The dress slithered up to just under her arms, and she hooked its fangs around her shoulders.

They shared a kiss and she opened her eyes first, as always, and bared her neck so he could give her a second sterile peck under the back of the jaw. They sat at the table next to the window, and she cracked it open so the smoke from her cigarette could drift outside. The first time time they had shared a bed, she tried to smoke before they started, and never forgot the way his eyes were nailed to the burner as it went from pack to lighter to mouth to finger then finally to her eyes.

"Why do you always come see me before estrous?"

That was off script. She had a glass of wine in front of her, and he ice water.

Garth blinked once. "Work is fine, but busy. There's a few cases keeping me up at nigh-"

The red dot retreated a centimeter. Natalia blew a gigantic lungful of smoke disdainfully into the late afternoon. "You don't even feed off me."

"I'd come see you more often, but-"

The Were flicked the half-finished cig out the window. The eye contact that they had held since sitting at the table broke as Garth followed its arc all the way down to the sidewalk.

"We've been doing this for years now. And lately you're throwing me off. If you can't set the mood properly, I'm going to busy next time you call."

Garth slid the eggshell envelope across the table. The beautiful, glossed surface had 'for you' embossed on it and four hundred dollars inside.

"I'll see you next time."

A few minutes after the door clicked shut, she drained both glasses on the table and pulled out her phone.

iChat: Janvier NATALIA: hey NATALIA: are you up?
@PavellumPendulum

• I'm SHOOK
Reactions: PavellumPendulum
HALO
If Halo hadn't been used to being ogled, he would've perhaps blushed at Jax's wandering eyes. He was quite fond of the fact that the other was honest enough with his desires. Halo was used to being the one pursuing, the one who initiated all the flirting and searching for more, even when sex was not on the table. It was not a role that he rejected, in fact it was one that he embraced wholeheartedly, believing that he filled it well, but ah, he certainly wished that sex was on the table in this restaurant for fine dining, with Jax looking at him like that. The smile on his lips was one that Halo wished to brush with his own, perhaps with a thumb tracing the lower lip, fingers caressing that familiar jaw.

Jax allowed him a small look into his life, mentioning how it'd been fine, as well as an observation of one of his neighbours. He had a keen eye like that, an appreciation for the lives around his own, much like Halo did. It was also very much like him to sidestep the question like that, to bring up someone else when asked about himself. Still, Halo was not one to push when his partner did not want to add more. "Oh? Hm... I do hope that they're nice letters. Those can do the spirit a lot of good."

When asked about his own trip, Halo sighed sweetly, as though the memories were flooding back into him. He was always happy to share. "I really should take you with me, one of these days. If you would like to come, of course." The second part was added immediately, as consent was always breathed into every single one of Halo's advances, a core tenet of his beliefs. "Berwyn was as beautiful as always, most definitely the highlight of my trip this time around. I visited a few local markets and sculpted by the ocean. I did not finish before leaving, but the work smells of sea salt now. I actually quite like it."

He'd sent Jax a few pictures of the sculpture he had started while out in Berwyn Harbour, a piece that he would devote his free time later to finishing. It was of a merfolk of undetermined gender, nuzzled by fish and coral, though the details were still fuzzy, not yet chiselled to perfection.
@Dusk
code by wren.

-A S H L E Y-

From aisle to aisle Ashley wandered about the place, getting deeper and deeper into the library. At some point he very much realized that none of the books he was looking at were for him, that this was more for just historical biographies and accounts of various wars that had taken place, not any kind of novel. "Place is a maze..." He would mutter to himself, feeling rather lost in this moment. Deciding on trying a new direction, he would move to the opposite corner of where he was, noticing for just a moment the front desk where someone was handing over some cash and a book. The person doing so hid the librarian from Ashley, who was quick to ignore the whole scene and journey further down a random aisle, the colors and names of the covers telling him he was get at least warmer on his quest for a good book, at least these weren't the "Retelling of the Battle at Waterloo".

As he past by a little sign that read "LGBTQ+ Literature", Ashley would stop for just a moment, glancing over the various titles. There was a small smile that tugged on his lips, seeing a whole section dedicated to this kind of writing, but that smile was short lived. Asher was quick to chastise himself for standing there for so long, remembering his father's angry words, near ranting about how he wasn't allowed to even think about those kinds of things. So he moved on, stepping further into that aisle and began rummaging through the fantasy books. It wasn't what he really wanted to read, but he also didn't want to spend a long time finding the kinds of books he really did want to read. So, he settled on one that seemed interesting enough, a book about some swordsman and his giant toad, and was just about to turn towards that check out table when he felt a soft thud.

"Oh... sorry." Ashley apologized with hesitation, without even knowing if it was actually his fault or not. Turning, he would see what had hit him, that "what" being a shorter guy who had just shouted... something, Ashley really didn't catch what. At first, the larger of the two was quiet, just taking a moment to size up this guy. He was short, obviously, a head or two under Asher's reasonable stature, with longer black hair, dark brown eyes that were wide with a bit of shock, ruddy cheeks, and a thinner body that was well easy to look at, much to Asher's realization. The guy was pretty, and Ashley was hating himself for even self-admitting that. He really hadn't meant to stare without speaking for as long as he did, a moment of awkward silence filling the air before the werecanine actually spoke. "O-oh, yeah.. sorry. Didn't see you, mate. You uhm.. you alright?" His bit of accent slipped through as about as much as Valentin's did, one a bit more Aussie, the other a bit more Russian, neither from the place they call home now. "I uhm... well, maybe you can help me. I haven't been here 'for, you know where I could find like uhm... mystery stories? or like them uhm.. space books? I haven't been able to find.. well uhm.. much of anything." Ashley would offer up an awkward smile, one that made his thick scar right off the lip peek up over the scarf he was using to hide it. "If not, I suppose this book will do. You work here?"

@wren.

Last edited:
  • Sweet
Reactions: wren.
hh
hh
VALENTIN
Val smiles, relieved that this man, who could probably suplex him with ease, hasn't been upset by his carelessness. "No, I just like to be helpful to people in libraries for fun," he jokes before gesturing to the nametag on his breast. "I work here. The mysteries are this way," he says, turning to the left and motioning the stranger to follow. "For space books; depends on what you mean. About space, or, em," he snaps his fingers, trying to remember the term, "Sci-fi. Sci-fi is not far from the mysteries."

He leads them through aisle after aisle of winding shelves, the library a vast labyrinth that is easy to get lost in. This isn't the first time he has found some poor lost soul hidden in its corners. When he'd first begun working, it had taken him several weeks to memorize the layout of the place, often getting lost himself before one of his coworkers guided him back to the front desk. Now that he can find his way just fine, though, there's a charm to its grandiosity. It affords a level of privacy smaller libraries do not, as it could be several aisles before you run into another person. Of course, that all depends on how busy the library is.

He stops abruptly once they've reached the mysteries section, pointing to the overhead sign stating as much. "Here you are. If you are looking for specific book, we have computers near front that you can use to search for it. If you know author, the books are arranged alpho-er, alphabetically." He turns toward the tall man again with a friendly grin. "My name is Valentin, or Val, if you need anything else."
@LashL
code by wren.

screenshot-2023-04-08-at-5-12-50-pm-png.238217
Natalia held her phone high and above. Her finger paused on the shutter, then she wiggled herself deeper into the pillows. She brushed a few strands of hair out of her face, then flicked one tuft back just over her slit-pupiled eyes, pulled the wedge of her dress a little lower (no bra), pushed her chin out to throw a triangular shadow on her upper throat, and popped her lips open just enough to show a bit of fang.

JANVIER: yeah. you ok? JANVIER: you out of hallen right now?

The werefeline snorted twin jets of smoke. She brushed the notifications away. A splayed hand over the chest completed the innocent, questioning look upwards into the front camera of her phone.

NATALIA: i told u i was leaving a week ago NATALIA: what do you think i'm doing right now? [PICTURE] NATALIA: are you still wearing that leather stuff?

1681350687163.pngThere she was in the living room, gripping her weapons of the trade: a wet mop, duster, rag, cleaning (and enzyme) solution. The house was not dirty, but she imagined it so, seeing the streaks on the windows, the dust on the baseboards, the subtle oil stains on the kitchen cabinets. She wedged in her wireless earbuds and set to work, and in her new world dark storm clouds flooded the sky with the music, throwing thick drops against the window. Four sprays for each of the three windows, two top and two middle. Double back to the first window once the solution had ran to the bottom but not touched the sill, and wipe it with a cloth. Fold it to expose a new surface and move to the next one.

A cloud of sunshine appeared at her side. It was an inhabitant of the house, asking for food. Thunder rumbled in the distance and cancelled out the thump of the cast-iron skillet, into which she placed a sandwich with ham, then moved to the oven to broil the cheese sprinkled on top. Her knife brought a crack of lightning as it passed through the crisp crust.

A strong gust rang the chimes outside. It was the doorbell, calling for her. The door admitted the twilight that chased her dream away, waking her as the earbuds receded and their whispered spell became tinny and hollow.

"Miss Maluya-Catindig (she probably mispronounced it)." Hilda curtsied, back straight, eyes firmly on the guest's mouth. "I've been told to expect you. I picked up Hanan and Tala from their sports practice. Please, come inside, and I will fetch them for you."

screenshot-2023-04-08-at-5-13-05-pm-png.238218
1681357149899.png"You're late!"

That was patently false. Garth always arrived at the crack of dusk and stayed until dawn (such was the way the society of Vampir conducted business). Alameda cackled and swung her legs from the left corner of her desk to the right corner, narrowing missing a paper cup of coffee. It sat next to an identical, but cold cup, from the day before.

Garth saluted the Vice-Chief and sat at his desk. The windows were just letting up their electro-chromic shade, the tint fading with the sun to let in the bustle of the night. On his desk was a report of hybrids that had been catalogued the day before. His task today was to cross-reference them with their date of arrival to Black City.

Ahmose Ajay Iria Amalthea Regan Aigerim Nessie Loch Oluwatoyin Beate Florián Lauri [...]

{ @PavellumPendulum @Nemopedia }

• OMG
MAYARI
Hanan and Tala's friend's lived in a nicer area than they did. Mayari didn't really think of her family as poor, but they'd certainly never grown up with perfectly manicured lawns or kitchens so big that they had island counters in the middle of them. It was a routine now, picking the girls up from their friend's house pretty much biweekly, seeing whatever the hell was new with these upper middle class neighbourhoods. And this was definitely new, she noted, seeing that familiar front door open to reveal a whole ass housekeeper, curtsying and calling her a Miss. Wasn't it a little on the nose to have her dressed up in that maid get up, with the frills and everything? While she'd admit that the aesthetics of it all were pretty damn nice, it did sorta seem demeaning from outside looking in. Mayari blinked at her.

Once, twice.

"Oh. Alright." was her curt reply as she followed the woman in, hands half in her pockets. That apron and dress combo of hers swayed when she walked. Mmm. Mayari decided to stop staring, if only to retain some form of politeness. Plus, the girl was busy working.

"You new here?" she questioned now, the smell of melted cheese wafting towards her as they padded into the kitchen together, where Mayari was often made to wait for her siblings. They always pushed spending time with their friends a little longer, another few minutes, but eh, Mayari could never really be bothered to admonish them that much for it. She'd always spoiled her little siblings a bit, plus it wasn't ever like she was on a tight schedule to begin with.

She sat at that nice kitchen island on one of the stools, arms leaned on the counter.
@unanun
code by wren.

JAX
"I think they are," Jax stated with quiet confidence. He realised he had not shared anything about the man's demeanour in his isolated statement. Important wasn't the same as nice, but whenever he thought about how the old man had held the letters Jax couldn't imagine they were anything other than cherished. Certainly, if the first one had had bad news, the old man wouldn't have cradled the second letter so tenderly. "He treats them dearly," he added to justify his assessment. Two letters weren't enough for him to know, but Jax truly hoped the letters were nice. The old man across the street had never had a visitor so far as Jax had seen, and he seemed quite alone.

"Would you write me letters?" Jax asked offhandedly. It was more a musing than a question but he voiced it aloud nonetheless, already knowing what answer the overly romantic man would give. The question he was more curious about was if he would treat the letters with such care if Halo sent them. Jax had never had a pen pal and had certainly never written romantic letters before.

"That might be fun," Jax replied to the suggestion of travelling in his most noncommittal answer as he shifted in his seat. The younger man had never been to Berwyn Harbor and Northern Cervia as a whole remained all but untouched to him. But somewhere he'd never been was better when it came to travelling. Jax considered the prospect. Would he even enjoy travelling? He suspected he might not have the disposition for it, but maybe it was just another thing he'd had ruined for him. It was hard for him to say. However, he knew travelling with Halo would be a far cry from his previous "adventures". Jax did fantasize about going somewhere other than Black City at times, but "where" was always a hypothetical place.

But the idea of lounging by the beach as Halo sculpted away was appealing. Jax enjoyed what he'd seen of Halo's work, and his newest work in progress was no exception. He'd responded to the pictures of the merfolk sculpture with small comments about what he liked, along with the occasional question.

"I've never been on an airplane," he casually responded, remembering an old childhood fascination. Jax was not so naive to think the experience would live up to his childhood daydreams but he still wanted to try it. And what better way to try it than when the destination was somewhere beautiful with a beautiful man?

His eyes wavered from Halo to the menu in front of him on the table. He picked it up to examine the selection.

Have you eaten here before?" He finally asked.
Code by Jenamos

Last edited:
  • Sweet
-A S H L E Y-

Ashley would give a little smile at the joke, chuckling more so to be polite. Once he spotted the nametag he would read it over a few times, getting the name use to his mind. If he was going to come to the library more often, might as well know who he would be getting the books from. "Oh.. okay.. uhm yeah, Sci-Fi what I meant. Think I want more of a mystery book but uhm... good to know where the other stuff is, ain't having to fossick 'bout for it." Not feeling the need to say much else, he would follow along the shorter man. As they walked through the many aisles of books stacked from ceiling to floor, Ashley took a moment to further look over the person leading him to the right section. The librarian dressed up like... well, what he imagine a librarian to dress, that black hair resting right by the shoulder. To Ashley's annoyance, he also noticed that his pants were rather filled out, each step giving it a little bounce. He was attractive, and that seemed to frustrate Ashley, who did a very good job of hiding said annoyance to that fact. That was the last thing he needed to be worried about, but his thoughts seemed to linger on how nice the other looked as he lead him down the endless halls of books. The librarian also smelled... weird, a very good kind of weird. At first he couldn't bring it to mind what the smell was, but eventually he landed on it. This Valentin smelled like a loaf of fresh bread, straight out the oven, like one from a bakery that he and Harlow often frequented when they first arrived in Cervia. They often only had that bread to eat on, and it was one of his favorite treats to still buy to this day. It was a good smell that had the werewolf stepping closer as they moved around, trying to figure out if that was coming from the librarian or if his mind was just dreaming it.

By the time they stopped, Ashley had gained a bit on Valentin, the two nearly back to front. When the Libinite spun around to tell him more, Ashley would quickly back up a little to give him some breathing room, feeling a touch embarrassed he even got so close to start with. Giving a good Seeing the small magnifying glass signifier, Ashley would nod. "Thanks, mate, 'preciate it." Even the others accent was growing on him, it was odd, obviously not from here, but each little mess up of words tugged that smile a little towards being a real one over one he put on out of politeness. Just as Valentin was about to spin around and head off, Ashley would speak up once more. "Actually, I uhm... really don't even know where to begin, if I am honest.." Even standing in the section he wanted, things were too numerous for the werecanine, who was suddenly feeling a bit of choice anxiety. "Do you have a favorite? Or like... a good place to start? I haven't read in awhile and well, I'm a bit of bogan when it comes to reading... but I want to try. A guiding hand would be nice, if you could, uhm... Valentin." He would stuff his hands into his pocket, looking down at his shoes for a moment, that embarrassment still strong in his chest. God, he must of sounded like a fool to this nice librarian, but he still hoped for the help. Ashley also wasn't one for talking this much, or showing his face this much, but the quiet halls of the library, with a guy that looked like he couldn't hurt a fly, Ashley felt a little safer about being open about his literary ignorance. "Im Azza... erm, Ashley, whichever suits your fancy, by the way.." He would hold out his hand to shake, feeling it was the appropriate thing to do.

@wren.

Last edited:
  • Love
screenshot-2023-04-08-at-5-12-50-pm-png.238217
NATALIA: i'm not into that NATALIA: unless i get paid to be into it

Natalia wondered if Janvier was aroused. She wondered if it was inconvenient, or restrictive, to be aroused in that ridiculous leather getup he perpetually wore, or was it the tightness that he liked. When she felt that her influence over the yoni and linga was weakening, or she was unable to completely entrance a client, she always ran back to Janvier to check, and he never failed to reconfirm her power.

NATALIA: you can help me try it when i'm back NATALIA: do you have any plans for the night?

1681350687163-png.238317

"... Ye-"

The maid's attention was yanked away by the finished timer in the oven, and she pulled out the skillet with a pair of oversized mittens, within which sat many clones of croque monsieurs.

"s."

She slid four plates to the edge of the countertop. Three were immediately attacked, and one was left wanting for a home.

"Excuse me, Miss Maluya-Catindig. I actually began one week ago, but this time the masters of the house had me stay longer."

She stood at the corner of the table, hands laced and slightly dimpling her front apron. Her eyes were downcast, sometimes lingering as far up as the chin, but never more.

"You may have the extra portion, if you are hungry, and if you do not think it will spoil your appetite."

{ @PavellumPendulum }

Last edited:
HALO
There was a certain softness in Jax's tone, one mixed with a healthy dose of certainty. Dearly. Ah, Halo could imagine it now. He'd always been ever the optimist, as his love for the world often kept him more content than anything else, but he knew that old age could be difficult when spent alone. He could barely spend any time alone at his current age without feeling the prickles of loneliness creeping at the edges of his mind, the only exception being when he spent his time sculpting. "How lovely. Then I do hope that he continues to receive then forevermore."

Of course, Jax's next question received the exact answer that the man had been expecting from Halo, the vampir's expression genuine and sweet. "Of course. If you wanted me to, I would write you letters everyday, though I imagine they would grow tiresome to receive once they started piling into mountains in your home." There was a touch of amusement in his tone, before he added, "But you only need to say the word. I would love to write to you, when we are apart."

And it was true. Jax was a dear friend, one that Halo had grown so attached to that it was often difficult to imagine saying no to him. Imagine being the key word, since Jax seldom asked him for anything. Halo paid him for his time in bed with him, but the other man never asked him for much more. Though Halo had far too many dependents to count, he did sometimes think that it would be nice if Jax did happen to want something more that he could give to him.

As for the talk about travelling together, Halo did not take the other's noncommittal answer to heart. "Wonderful. Perhaps you could come with me on my next trip, if you are free. I believe I will be in Aeaea next week. Just let me know." He blinked at the mention that Jax had never been on a plane, before adding, "Are you interested in them? Or fearful?"

With the menu now in his hands, he looked it over briefly, not wanting to spend more time figuring out what he wanted to eat instead of talking to his friend, "I've been here a few times, but not much recently. I'll likely order the same thing I always do, though. They have a delightful fig salad and a spicy tomato soup that I'm fond of."
@Dusk
code by wren.

Reactions: Dusk
MAYARI
She never met her eyes. It made her sort of uneasy, in a way that she found it hard to explain. Maybe because the woman barely emoted at all, voice placid and hands folded mechanically in front of her, like she was some sort of domestic robot. Mayari had been desperate for cash when growing up, wanting to support her family, but looking at the situation this other girl was in, mmm, maybe it was good that the boss had taken her under his wing so early. The idea of scrubbing toilet rims and slaving over meals for likely ungrateful employers sounded like a whole new circle of hell, even if the blonde didn't really look all that distressed.

She offered her the spare grilled cheese. Mayari shrugged, but still reached out to grab the plate, bringing it closer to her. "Sure. Thanks." The steam still wafting up from the portion smelled of meat and cheese, dampening her fingers slightly. She licked her lips and took a bite unceremoniously, though her eyes were still lingering on the maid. The way that she said her last name was awkward, like she was just learning how to make such sounds, but there was something sort of endearing about it.

Mayari swallowed down the warm bite she'd taken. "... Your name?"
@unanun
code by wren.

hh
hh
AVORAN
The train car rocked back and forth in time to the wheels bumping along and over the regular intervals of track. Bump-bump, Bump-bump, Bump-bump. All through the night, into the early hours of the morning and on into the afternoon. Bump-bump, Bump-bump, Bump-bump. All while the country-side passed by in a blur of brown, green and beige, it rocked back and forth. As the farmland turned into concrete, and the modest homes gave way to apartment buildings and commercial towers, it rocked back and forth. The Black City soon swallowed the open air and the breath of the city batted at the windows, each pane rattling against the pressure. Had it been any other day, the metronome of semi-silence would have lulled Avoran to sleep. But it had been a long day, nearly eighteen hours since his last sleep. Perhaps when his boots finally settled at the foot of the bed that was waiting for him somewhere in the city.

I told you it was a glutton. Fat. Lazy. Never chasing. Always waiting. Open wide, swallow them whole every time. All those teeth but it hates to chew. A strange one, always thought it was a strange one. Yidra clicked its beak in amusement. The bargaining process had been among the longer in recent memory and there had been more than a single devil in the details. Worse than the enormity of the demands was the stench that washed over Yidra's feathers with every belch. Yet, somehow, the magi had walked away with a deal fulfilled on a technicality. Would have been easier if you'd just done it. In and out. Just like that. Simple.

The spirit's question echoed in the calm of Avoran's thoughts and settled there, patiently awaiting satisfaction. Though he was certain the question was rhetorical, ignoring the spirit was a fool's errand. After all, they had nothing but time. An eternities worth. The magi sighed softly and pulled his attention away from the window to the corner of the table where Yidra was standing. Would have been more trouble if we did it your way. The only reason we're riding to Black City instead of hitchhiking or worse, walking, is because I took the extra steps. Besides, the terms said that it wanted to be, 'Fed full with fear. Rich and bountiful.' It didn't specify how. A glutton, like you said.

For the spirits that lurked beneath the cold, dark star of The Void, few things were found to be quite as delightful as a wickedly woven bargain and none more so than those made with black magi. The mortals had, in short time, proven themselves a gift with enormous potential. Their hunger for knowledge ran deep and terrible. Their lust for power was neigh insatiable. As the magi fell over themselves to empty their essence into the overflowing flowing rivers, the spirits fell to the riverside and drank with abandon. But the days of such indulgence had long passed. Yidra tilted its head to the side, its unblinking eyes lingering on Avoran. Pacts rarely worked out quite as well as this one. Had the crow been born with lips, it would have been smiling ear to ear.

Borguld will want more. The flavor was good but it will not sustain him. He will demand more. I will have to, Yidra rustled its feathers, negotiate new terms. Sooner than you think. Much sooner than I'd like. He won't be tricked next time.

"Next stop, Union Station!" the conductor's voice boomed through the static of the speaker system, shattering the semi-silence. "Passengers departing the trail at Union Station, don't forget to collect all of your belongings before you leave the train."

The long steady rocking back and forth gradually came to a stop as the train finally came to a stop in the station. Avoran slung his backpack over his shoulder, picked up his briefcase and headed towards the door. Yidra stretched its wings and took the short flight from the table to Avorans shoulder and perched there. Together, they disembarked from the train car and ventured into the main terminal building. With a deep breath, Black City filled his nose and lungs with exhaust of sputtering tail-pipes and the fleeting taste of fried food. But there was something else in the air, something that had hitched a ride with him on the last train out the night before. Avoran sucked his teeth, he could still smell the ash.

「 」
code by wren.

Last edited:
1681350687163-png.238317
"Hilda."

The maid breathed her name out more than spoke it, the two syllables wafting over with the stacking of three empty plates.

"Please stay as long as you like, Miss. I believe Hanan and Tala still have a game they are finishing with their friend."

She moved to the sink with her payload, and slipped on a pair of pink gloves that went up to her elbows. She had to work the tight cuffs past the sleeves of her maid uniform, wiggling and twisting her hands and forearms into the tight latex that squeaked and squacked and shook the bow of her apron that outlined the curves of her behind. Her pink-shrouded digits paused on the handle of the faucet. Lather fizzed and ran down the long chrome handle to pool at the base.

"There's orange juice in the fridge."

Her chin hovered over her shoulder, and her eyes completed the trip to Maluya-Cantindig's torso. Though her gaze never ventured above the glass ceiling that was positioned right below the were's nose, there was plenty for her quietly inquisitive gaze to run over; she quickly traced the tattoos, her eyes whirling as she brought a wet, soapy heel of her palm up to push a stray set of bangs away that the lacey headband had failed to corral.

hh
hh
JODELLE

Jodelle had been in town for a few days now. Staying at the apartment she rented in BC as she learned the art of tattooing from her friend and boss — who'd actually just walked in the doors — Penny Marshall. "She hasn't made it in yet, no. So, no worries." While she had been in town for a few days, now, all she had done was work and hang out at the shop with Penny. So she decided to hit up one of her good friends. "Yo Pen, do you mind if Keaton comes by the shop to hang out?" She raises her eyebrow, looking up from her tablet to get an answer.

"Oh yeah dude, that's fine. Maybe you can get some practice in!" Penny shrugged. "Awesome sauce." Jo sent over a quick message to let Keaton know she wanted to chill and the waiting commenced.

✵ ✵ ✵

A small smile crept onto Jo's face when she heard the familiar voice of her mechanically inclined friend. She would have to ask him to help her take a look at the beater with a heater she'd recently bought. "Hey, dude! No actually I've been here a couple days, just getting situated into the shop again." She nodded, looking up from the sketch she was working on. "You just come in from the shop?"
@Dusk
code by wren.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dusk
hh
hh
PENELOPE

"Hey Keaton!" Penny beamed without looking up from the drawing on her iPad. Moments later, as if on cue, Penny heard the familiar chime of the shop door as Aurelia came striding through. "Oh, dude you're totally fine! I literally just walked through the door." Penny chuckles waving her lateness comment off. If anyone could be late to just about anything it would be Penelope.

"Better you commanding them than me. I don't know how you do it." Penny knew a lot about Aurelia's… job description and reputation. And as long as they didn't burn down her home or place of business, she was fine with whatever firebug shit Aurelia had going on. In fact, it lowkey made for awesome ideas. She had always been fascinated by the power and beauty of flames, but had never been able to capture that feeling in her art. Working Aurelia's tattoo, she felt a new sense of creativity and energy.

"I wanted to create something that would capture your love of fire, but also your power and confidence!" Penny took a moment to scroll through the designs had saved on her iPad before she turned it for Aurelia to see. It was a beautiful flame that Penny imagined would start at her wrist and extended up past her elbow. "I also have the same design with a Phoenix rising from the flames and ashes if that seems like your style. And I was thinking we could do it as a sleeve or half sleeve if you're down?" She raised her eyebrows a bit in question, excited and anxious to see her reaction all at the same time.
@wren. @Dusk
code by wren.

• Creative
Reactions: wren. and Dusk
MAYARI
Hilda.

White ass name, she thought. She supposed she couldn't point fingers. Mayari had a very Filipino ass name and so did all of her siblings. Hilda definitely sounded like something you would call a milkmaid or something of that nature, so maybe the job had chosen her, rather than her choosing the job. "... Call me Mayari, Hilda. Don't need the Miss shit." she offered up her name, finding it stuffy to be called by her entire last name. It was also just an excuse to test drive the maid's name on her own tongue. Hilda. Hilda. Hilda.

She took another few bites of her food in silence, but she did not look away when she saw Hilda glancing over at her, eyes still demure and lowered, even when travelling over the bulk of her arms. Her tattoos were exposed, since she normally wore short sleeve shirts (better mobility). She was a walking art gallery, she knew, so she didn't really mind being ogled, even if it was being done covertly. She ignored the offer of orange juice.

"Like what you see?" She was blunt, as per usual.
@unanun
code by wren.

• Hit Me in My FEELS
Reactions: BangChargerDesk
hh
hh
AVORAN
When William Bartow bought the apartment building at 313 10th​ Ave. E, the prospect of a safe investment had been the first thing the agent brought up. Over lunch, over drinks, in and out of every apartment. "Listen, Will. Can I call you Will? Sure I can, we're pals, aren't we?. Listen, Will. This is as good as it gets. Clean, easy, all you gotta do is sit back and collect checks." Thirty years had passed since then and while the agent hadn't totally been blowing smoke, William Bartow had found the responsibilities had grown much like the trees that now cast the whole front of the building in the shade of their branches. Managing facilities, hiring repairmen, learning how to do repairs, and of course, the complaints. As a young man, he took each one to heart and attempted to resolve them as quickly as possible. Thirty years later, it was like he didn't even hear them anymore. Even the furious jabbing, boney forefinger of Francis Perkins had lost most of their sting. Perhaps his left breast had developed a resistance to her insistence that there were rats in the walls. Perhaps it was the weight he'd put on. But for the moment, as he stood on the sidewalk with keys in hand, he was presented with a renter who might, in fact, turn out to be easy money.

"It wouldn't be much trouble would it?" Avoran gestured with a slight nod to the two canvas bags that he held in either hand. Each bag held the haul from a hardware and home improvement store that he'd passed on the trip from the station to the apartment building. Though his previous client had agreed to furnish the apartment as part of the payment for a more difficult acquisition, there was much work to be done if Avoran could make the most of the space. So, the brief stop at the store had lightened his wallet of most of the remaining cash-on-hand and in exchange, burdened him with rolls of self-adhering wallpaper for both the walls and ceiling, seam rollers, a tape measure, vinyl cutter, a squeegee to get out those persistent bubbles and a carpet replacing kit. "We can add to the security deposit? Double it? If it makes it any easier, I can go up to $2000. What do you say?"

"Two-Thou-," William choked in surprise and nearly dropped his ring of keys. Quickly, he regained his composure with a nonchalant smile and casually ran his fingers through the thinning burnt blond, roughly kept hair that sat slightly receded upon his head, "Normally, I don't make that kind of exception for a new tenant. There are rules we gotta follow. People we gotta hire. Big city, lots of people who need to be paid. But, since you're willing to pay $2000 on top of the original deposit, I think we can make a deal," his attention for a second turned to the bird that was perched on the young man's shoulder. Had it always been there? Never-mind. Money was money, "your pet included," he added on as if he'd always intended it.

A wry smile tugged a the corners of Avoran's lips, "You're a sly one. On top of the original deposit? I like people like you," he said and playfully shook his index finger towards William, "people like you know what they want and they know how to get it. Fine, $2000 on top of the deposit and we have a deal?" Yidra clicked its beak excitedly and followed with it, a soft approving trill.

William extended his hand to shake but, upon realizing that Avoran's hands were occupied, turned his open hand into a thumbs-up, "Yeah, we've got a deal. Follow me, I'll take you to the apartment." Before he turned around to head up the stone staircase, his attention lingered on the crow. It definitely, for sure, was there the whole time. Whatever, this was Black City, this was the least strange thing that he'd seen in years. He turned the keys over absentmindedly and headed up the stone stairs and into the building with Avoran in tow.
Despite how the building seemed on the outside; facade weather worn, black streaks running down the bricks that framed the windows, the gray discoloring tint of city air, the inside was reasonably well kept. The walls were a muted beige. The carpet a muddied mixture of maroon, navy and brown. The staircase made of marble stone, scuffed from years of use and the railing a lacquered ebony finish. Classic, unassuming, comfortable and, as far as William cared, easy enough to maintain. Before Avoran had even thought to ask, William glanced over his shoulder, "There's no elevator. You'll have to hoof it to the top floor and if you need help carrying anything, well, hope you've got friends in town. There's no doorman and I'll help with just about anything but your groceries." When all Avoran offered in response was a unbothered half-shrug and smirk, William was almost positive that he'd finally gotten a tenant who was more profit than headache.

The two men and bird headed up the remaining flights and arrived on the upper-most landing of the building and walked down the hall to the two apartments which shared a view of the street. William unlocked the door to apartment 402 and pushed it open. "Here we are," he produced a set of keys from his jeans pocket and after stepping into the doorway, pushed one key into the bottom lock, "silver is for the bottom. Short copper is for the top. Long copper is for the front door of the building." He stepped back into the hallway and was about to leave Avoran to settle in but stopped himself just long enough to say, "The $2000, I'll be expecting it by the end of the week." With the final bit of business attended to, he turned and left.

Finally alone again, Yidra hopped off of Avoran's shoulder and fluttered gently to the shoe-scuffed hardwood floor of the foyer. I don't know much about your currency...but I trust that $2000 is a good deal. Yidra tapped its talons on the floor in mild irritation that it hadn't been consulted before Avoran had taken it upon himself to strike up a deal. Had it not been so pleased with how the magi had dealt with their contract, Yidra might have been in a considerably more disagreeable mood. But, there was the fact that Avoran still had to tend to the spell-circles by himself and that could take hours. In place of tiresome scolding, nitpicking the accuracy or manufactured inaccuracies of the spell-circles would have to do. Come on, you'll want time to study the new spell, won't you? Everything has to be ready first. It has to be just so, you know that.

Avoran retrieved the key from the door, pushed it closed with his foot and made his way into the apartment proper. The apartment was larger than he'd anticipated and made him reconsider the level of compensation he'd asked for his last acquisition. Clearly, his client had valued the contents of the three tomes to be worth quite a bit more than Yidra had estimated. Thud. Thud. Thunk. Thunk. The contents of the canvas bags spilled out onto the carpeted floor of the living-room. Avoran sighed, stretched and strode bare-foot across the carpeted floor to the window and rested the outside of his palm against the middle pane. The view was dominated by the trees that had grown tall and full over the years and yielded but a sliver of city skyline above the canopy. No matter, The Void was far more compelling anyway.

A moment later, Avoran was hard at work pulling up the carpet that had been nailed down some thirty years ago.

「 」
code by wren.

SIMON SCOTT
VAMPIR/MAGI

LOCATION | INTERACTION | MENTIONS

"I've got it, Al," Simon started, a keen smile fixed on his lips. And boy, did he have it. As he should, after all, the discussion involved making the biggest decision of their lives this year -- er, month. The biggest decision of this month. It was just as big a decision as it was the year before, which meant it needed careful and serious consideration. Simon had given it that much for at least a week. "I know what we should dress up as for Halloween this year."

With those words said and finally grasping his best friend and roommate's attention. Simon sat up in his seat. He pressed his back against the glass window of the bus and folded his arms across his chest. By the way he was seated on the vehicle of public transportation, one would have assumed he owned the place -- or to be precise, that they owned the bus. With his legs laying across Al's lap as if they were back in their apartment discussing anything and nothing at all. They always carried that sort of energy with them wherever they went. It was a talent, truly.

Was he comfortable? A little. Riding the bus to get anywhere and everywhere in this city is what he had been doing since he was old enough to get on it by himself. In rain and in snow, always grabbing the best seat in the middle and if possible, next to a window. It was far cheaper than a cab or an Uber. And the particular route they were taking was an all too familiar one. One that he wouldn't have minded walking if the rain hadn't begun to pick up in a less than welcoming matter combined with the cold air outside.

Luckily, the heater of the bus was on full blast. It was almost too hot, he was beginning to sweat a little under his knitted sweater. But it was easy to ignore when his mind was focused on the more significant matter at hand. "The March Hare and the Mad hatter." The brunet announced proudly, "But make it sexy. Not too much, but just enough that we look like the whores of 18th century London. The respectable whores. So even when we party hop looking a little disheveled it'll only add to the animation of the costume." Geniuses like him were only born once in a lifetime. There was no room to give Alois a chance to reject his idea of them to dress up for Halloween as a duo.

It was simple and silly, but he was one to feed his own ego when he could. Especially if those ego-feeding opportunities were presented by none other than himself. Alois didn't help in deflating that ego at all and he loved him for it. He didn't dwell on his own genius for long, however, his mind began drifting to the others regarding the same topic. Specifically a certain blond.

The costume would help getting his attention too. You had to show a little leg after all. And apparently being ridiculously cute was not cutting it with him. "And you better not ditch me to lock yourself in a closet with Angus." Simon warned the redhead. He gave that man enough affections.

"What do you think the others are going as?" Simon rested his head against the glass of the window and hummed. "I bet they'll have really nice costumes." They always did.

Great. They had reached their stop and his umbrella was stuck. Simon supposed it was what he deserved for buying a small umbrella from a dollar store. He was one to fall prey to cheap, pretty items, and it had been both pretty and cheap. Now it was cheap and broke no matter how much he tried to push it open, it was a losing battle and the passengers behind him were growing more irritated with each passing second. And next would be the bus driver.

"Are you getting off?" The driver grunted, causing Simon to turn his head and smile sheepishly. He was used to being put in embarrassing situations. This was nothing new or extraordinary, but it didn't make him shameless. One look at the annoyed look on the driver's face and he knew it was time to go.

Shoving his broken umbrella into his bag, he pulled the strap off his shoulder and used the bag in whole to cover his head as he ducked into the rain. They still had a block to walk to their destination, but they wouldn't be soaked by the time they reached it if they were fast enough on their feet. And he had had enough running practice during his childhood well into his adulthood. It was a survival skill, one needed for those who found themselves in trouble every other week.

The bag over his head did very little to protect him from the fat drops of rain he dashed through but kept a slower than normal pace to stay by Alois's side. His face and parts of his hair were soaked and cold by the time he reached the Mirage. The dryest part of his body was the top of his head, but even that was only temporarily when he removed the bag from his head as he opened the shop door for himself and Alois. At least he was mostly damp and not soaking.

The difference in temperatures inside compared to the outside was immense. The warm air hit his face first, giving him a little shock and shiver followed by a pleasant sensation. He was damp, but at least he was also warm.

Still, Simon used whatever dry parts of his sweater sleeve to wipe at his wet face and hair. It was a poor attempt to fix his appearance before facing the shop manager. Though he doubted how the young magi would look and be more concerned about what water damage they may cause in his store. It didn't mean that Simon didn't want to look anything less than presentable though, been if the little bell jingle had alerted him of their presence already. Besides, given the news he had been carrying with him for the day or two now, Cian would have something else to think about.

His cheeks were slightly rosy when he laid his eyes on the familiar strawberry blonde. It was because of the cold obviously. Or the cold had once been. From his position at the entrance, he gave the man a cheeky grin, a grin that died out when he noticed the man was in conversation with another.

"Hello, Cian," Simon greeted him warmly, sweetly, mischeviously. "We've come to keep you company on the last hours of your shift." Per usual. He would have found any excuse to come over and hang out with Cian, but it was easier when the others were around. He felt more confident and less obvious in his presence then.

It was as though he never had spoken with the other man at all, it was common practice when he happened to have a conversation with some of his more flirty customers. "I also carry great news. But first…" Resting his elbows against the countertop he leaned in a little. "In good holiday spirit, I'll buy something. Maybe it'll raise your spirits a little... That was not a pun, I swear." An awkward chuckled followed after that statement, but his grin was very much real and warm.

"We need candles." Did they take a bus from campus grounds and run in the rain to the Mirage just to buy a few candles? Yes. Did Simon do all that just for a few candles? No. Not at all. But no one was asking so it wasn't something that he needed to answer.

@wren. 」​

• What a TWIST