Birds of a Feather (MonbonxCinnamon)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Monbon

Edgesquire
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Look for groups
  2. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per week
  2. 1-3 posts per week
  3. One post per week
  4. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
3pm-7pm pst weekdays
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Beginner
  3. Elementary
  4. Intermediate
  5. Adept
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Historical, Fantasy, Modern, Supernatural, Drama, Political Intrigue, Romance, Horror, Action, COMEDY
It was a clear day when it happened. The sky was blue and the sun was high in the sky on a warm summer day. A blue magpie sat on the branch of a tree outside a burger joint, people watching and scavenging for droppings. The bird had been craving a burger for god knows how long and watching the humans below eating away at HIS food made him more and more impatient. Waiting for his moment to strike, the magpie inched closer and closer, unwilling to allow other birds in the area to get the first drop.

That was when he spotted something wonderful from the corner of his vision. There was a toddler in a woman's arms, babbling away as they do. Human children were clumsy and had little coordination to begin with. It was always good news when one made an appearance in any food establishment.

Watching with rapt attention, the bird scooted in and watched as she cut up a hamburger into small pieces and distributed them onto a burger wrapper for the child to grab and feed themselves; a foolish move in his eyes but also one that was greatly appreciated. With the stealth of a drunk pigeon, the bird swooped in and crashed onto the ground, rolling towards the child's feet. The moment the food dropped, it would be all his. As he waited for the inevitable, something shiny from a nearby bush caught his attention.

Intrigued, the bird made his way over and poked his head into the bush to take whatever it was.

Only,

He suddenly felt a strong force pulling him into said bush. Alarmed and extremely unwilling to go with the pull, The bird quickly turned around and tried to get away. From where he was, he could see the child from before dropping the piece he was waiting for. "MINE MINE MINE!!" He screeched, fighting the mysterious force in hopes of reaching the still warm meal that had been waiting for. "MY BURRRGERRR!!"

Try as he might, the burger was never destined to be his. Though he had fought valiantly, flapping his wings frantically with all of his strength, he was no match for the pull and eventually slipped right into its grasp. Blinking once, his vision suddenly went from junk food to a series of bright colors that seemed to be traveling in the opposite direction he was currently headed.

Another blink and he was in a flower field of some sort surrounded by breathtakingly beautiful sunset-colored flowers.

Unfortunately, he was not in the mood to admire such a field. His burger was gone and he had no clue where he was. Naturally, there was only one thing he could do."SREEEEE" Releasing the loudest screech he could muster, he cried out to vent out his frustrations. It just wasn't his day.

Elsewhere, Alexander flew through the afternoon air, enjoying the lovely scenery. It was Friday, meaning no raising early for work the next day, leaving him plenty of time to roam free. His head and legs were avian, body and arms human. Large, sapphire eyes were at the front of his skull, and his beak was short and yellow. Except his legs, he was covered in white, fluffy plumage.
Shrill screeching caught his ear, resulting in him swerving, emitting a startled squawk. After taking a moment to collect himself, he quickly flew toward the source. He eventually found himself staring down at what appeared to be a small bluebird in a field of flowers. Assuming the poor animal to be injurred, he dove to the ground, landing prone a short distance away. Pushing himself up onto his hands and knees, Alexander crawled to it.
"Hey, hey, it's okay, it's okay. Shhhh," he soothed in his high voice, expression soft.

Last edited:
Was it okay? What about this was okay? The bird wasn't convinced and continued to screech as if there would be no end. His precious snack was gone and now he was in the middle of nowhere, hungry and having to deal with someone who won't mind their business.

"MY BURRRR-...!!!" The screeching stopped abruptly as the bird choked on his own saliva. What just landed in front of him? It looked striking. All birds did but it was like something he'd never seen before at the same time. Perplexed, he silently stared at the abomination in front of him unsure of whether to like it or hate it.

"WHAT THE FUCK?" He flapped his wings, visibly flustered at the sight before him. "WHAT ARE YOU? WHO ARE YOU? WHERE AM I? WHAT THE FUCK! WHAT THE FUCK!" Irritable and confused, the bird was thrown into a cursing fit. Whatever was going on, none of it seemed good. Most importantly, were there even any burgers in this world?

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, calm down there, little guy! You're on Earth in a field of flowers," Alexander tried soothing him, reaching out a feathery hand to touch him. How did this bird not know where he was? Perhaps he got turned around? "Try taking deep breaths."

"WHERE ON EAR- EARTH? I WAS AT MCRONALDS JUST A SECOND AGO!" Though he was agitated, he was also startled by the sudden hand reaching out to him and took a hop back. When asked to take deep breaths, he tried to do so, inhaling and releasing quickly. Unfortunately, this only led to the poor thing hyperventilating and made it harder to get the oxygen he needed to function. Unable to muster the energy to even keep himself standing, the bird rolled onto his back and wriggled about in panic.

Seeing the poor thing start to panic, Alexander's heartrate went up, but he knew he couldn't lose it. He had to remain calm if he was to aid this bird. Trying again, he began gently rubbing his head. "Can you try to tell me what happened at McDonalds?"

The question managed to get him to keep hold to some reason and settle his racing heart. "MY BURGER! MY BURGER IS GONE!" He screeched recalling the piece that fell right before he was drawn into some kind of tunnel. What was that? "I WAS PULLED INTO SOMETHING AND NOW I AM HERE!" He declared, finishing his story.

"You want a burger?" even though he was curious as to how this little guy ended up here and what that tunnel he came through was, Alexander knew very well to prioritize. "I could take you to get a burger if you'd like, buddy."

Whatever wariness or fear he still had when it came to this stranger in front of him went right out the window at the mention of free food. Without any shame, he hopped right onto the other's shoulder and got himself settled. "LEAD THE WAY!"

Chuckling, Alexander carefully stood and gave the smaller bird's head a scratch. "Okay, but I'm not the best flier, so hold on tight."
With that, he flapped his feathered arms and took to the skies, swerving left and right.

Huh? What? Hold on? "SCREEEEEE!" Startled by the birdman suddenly taking flight, Mandu flapped his wings and clung to Alexander for dear life with his talons, grappling as tightly as he could so he wouldn't fall. The take-off alone was hard to handle, when Alexander started swerving, Mandu couldn't hold any longer. Before he even realized it, he was rolling off into the skies behind Alex, his resounding screech lost in the sound of the wind passing him.

It took the magpie a little longer to reorient himself and tell the sky apart from the ground than he was comfortable with. Dizzy and sick to his stomach from the anxiety, the bird barely managed to catch a draft and right himself. Now flying on his own, he attempted to catch up to the birdman, scolding him as he did so. "WHERE DID YOU LEARN TO FLY!?!?"

Feeling the magpie suddenly leave his shoulder, Alexander briefly glanced behind himself, gasping in horror at the sight of the smaller rolling and falling. He was about to go to his aid, but when he righted himself and caught up, the birdman's face brightened in relief.
"I've always flown. I'm sure you've noticed I'm part bird," he answered the magpie's question.

After Alex pointed that out to him, Mandu had a weird feeling. Wasn't he also a bird? He vaguely recalled someone teaching him how to fly. How long ago was that?

The question only made the bird fall silent for a moment. Any longer and it'd make the flight awkward. "ARE WE THERE YET?"

"Soon, buddy," Alexander assured.
He stopped and glanced about, before spotting a Burger King ahead. Blue orbs honing in on the fast food restaurant, he zipped in that direction. "Come on, this way."

He wasn't assured at all. Opening his bill to complain more, Mandu never got the chance as the birdman seemed to have found a spot rather quickly. Looking right past him, the magpie could just barely make out the familiar BK sign. "BURGER KIIIING!" He screeched excitedly. If he could fly fast enough to zoom past Alex, he would have. At this point the poor bird was hungry and tired. A fresh burger would fill every need he had and then some.

"Yes, Burger King!" Alexander laughed, enjoying the smaller bird's enthusiasm.
Reaching the entrance, Alexander landed none too gracefully on the sidewalk. The doors hissed open, and he entered, talons clicking on the tile floor. The line was short, the customers human and nonhuman. Alexander stood calmly, feathered hands clasping the small, lavender purse strapped across his chest.

Mandu followed Alexander in landing. Rather than hopping into the restaurant himself, he landed on Alex's shoulder and made himself at home, resting comfortably until it was time for them to make their order.

"Good Afternoon, May I take your order?" The brunette behind the counter asked sweetly.

"Burger!" Mandu screeched, not even taking the chance to look at the menu. He'd never been inside an actual establishment. Everything was so shiny and it smelled really good. It took all his patience to not hop off the birdman's shoulder and fly off to the kitchen and attack every burger in sight. So much patience.

The woman was left confused and gestured towards the menu lit up behind her. "Which one? There are a few to choose from. We have whoppers, hamburgers, the bacon king?" Listing off a few options, she pointed at each option consecutively, her words falling quicker as a line formed behind the duo.

This did little to ease Mandu's confusion. What part of "burger" did this woman not understand? "Hamburger!" He chose, still unclear as to what the difference was. It was just bread and a beef patty. Some had more beef but what did it matter? Turning to face Alex, he expanded his wing as if to gesture that it was his turn to decide. "Use big words. She seems lost!"

"I think she's doing just fine," Alexander whispered. Glancing from the menu to the hostess, he smiled politely. "I'll have the chicken nuggets, hushpuppies, and a medium chocolate peanut butter milkshake, please, love."
She grinned, cheeks turning pink. "Coming right up!"
A thought struck him. He asked the magpie, "Drink?"

The blue bird cocked his head to the side. "Apple juice?" He questioned, not sure if they even served that. Looking at the menu behind the woman, he noted that there were no pictures of such. Illiterate and hopeless, the bird suddenly felt parched. After how loud he'd been, it would be strange if he wasn't.

"Do you have apple juice?" Alexander asked the hostess.
"I'm afraid not. We have water, milkshakes, sodas, and coffees," she answered.