Better than Predator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whahaha! Put in "The Fifth Element" and it's just as good as predator. Both have the same rating. 6.9

Second film (oddly) was "The Color Purple" and it has a 7.7 rating. Though somehow I feel my second choice is somehow inappropriate to compare to Predator.

Third choice was "Pitch Black" which lost at a 6.6 just under, which seems oddly appropriate. (duh)

Whahaha! Put in "The Fifth Element" and it's just as good as predator. Both have the same rating. 6.9

Second film (oddly) was "The Color Purple" and it has a 7.7 rating. Though somehow I feel my second choice is somehow inappropriate to compare to Predator.

Third choice was "Pitch Black" which lost at a 6.6 just under, which seems oddly appropriate. (duh)
I was watching the Fifth Element earlier today, I've seen that movie so many times but I can't get sick of it, it's so great. I'd put it on Predator level of awesome, honestly.

Saving Private Ryan wins at a 7.4 rating. Terminator 2: Judgement Day wins at 7.2. Full Metal Jacket wins at 7.4.

And Princess Mononoke wins at a rather high 7.9! Go Studio Ghibli!

Out of curiosity, I entered as many of the major Studio Ghibli movies as I could remember.
Castle in the Sky (Laputa): 7.5
My Neighbor Totoro: 7.9
Howl's Moving Castle: 7.8
Kiki's Delivery Service: 7.3
Spirited Away: 7.9
Porco Rosso: 7.3
Grave of the Fireflies: 7.8
Ponyo: 7.3
The Cat Returns: 6.9
The Secret World of Arrietty (Almost forgot this one): 6.9

Everyone has a soft spot for Studio Ghibli.

Predator is a great film, it's entertaining, over the top and so damn quotable. Alien and Aliens are amazing films, I love them too.

However, after the first two Alien films the franchise plummets (in my opinion). Alien 3 and Resurrection are bad (that's the word for them I guess). Prometheus was sloppy but had flashes of being something solid (Fassbender and Rapace were the shit in it, the effects were great, soundtrack is solid), it was just offset by a flat out terrible script. It's at least watchable compared to the other two bad Alien movies. The original script draft for Prometheus is much better, it's a shame it wasn't picked instead of the actual script.

The Predator series never reaches a really bad point (in my opinion), Predator 2 is a solid, fun but underrated film. Sure, it's not as great as the first one, it's different than the first one in a positve way and it's a worthy sequel. Predators was fun, again, not as great as the first two Predator films, but not bad.

Just going to leave out the two AvP films, those are terrible and we should not speak of them.

Huh! Didn't think I would find a topic near the top that discusses something so dear to me.

While I agree on the Predator movies and their awesome attributes, I feel the first AVP movie gets too much of a bad rap.

Don't get me wrong. Overall, it was bad. It has plot holes, bad science & history facts, dim lighting, sub-par fight scenes, et al. it is an embarrassment.

But damn. Predator got the girl. If only Paul Anderson didn't try to inject some newfangled story into it and instead did a book-to-film conversion of Aliens vs Predator: Prey. The book is considered the 'Yautja Bible' for Yautja fans and boldly began the path of fleshing out the Predator concept to make the titular movie monster part of an actual species. Kind of like Star Wars and Star Trek have done with their own in-universe alien species.

The second movie? Requiem? Pure. Fucking. Garbage. The 'directors' have made it known they have a fetish for torturing pregnant women. The movie was suppose to be an F-U into Anderson's face for allowing the first movie to be rated PG-13. The Strauss Brothers did gore and violence for the sake of appeasing the lowest common denominator fanboy.

I'll just drop this here:

A perfect example of how studio stupidity and fanboy obsession can ruin cinema.
Keith Breese
Filmcritic.com

Just eye candy. That they used a major studio release as a medium for brainless eye candy is a complete waste of film roll.

I feel that as the one above me mentioned:

However, after the first two Alien films the franchise plummets (in my opinion). Alien 3 and Resurrection are bad (that's the word for them I guess). Prometheus was sloppy but had flashes of being something solid (Fassbender and Rapace were the shit in it, the effects were great, soundtrack is solid), it was just offset by a flat out terrible script. It's at least watchable compared to the other two bad Alien movies. The original script draft for Prometheus is much better, it's a shame it wasn't picked instead of the actual script.

These movies are watchable but that's about it. For AVP: Requiem, I have never sat down and watched the entire thing. I have a five dollar copy from a Wal-Mart bin still wrapped in cellophane. I refused to pay full price for it when it came out.

Also, there's a new movie confirmed and in the works. By Shane Black, who played Hawkins in the first movie.

Kill Bill 1: 7.1
Kill Bill 2:7.2
Pulp Fiction: 7.7
Terminator 2: 7.2
Princess Bride: 7.5
Monty Python and the Holy Grail: 7.4 (Lies!!!!)
Gone with the Wind: 6.9 (How the.....?)
Spaceballs: 6.5 :(

Lies, lies, and more lies!

Akira - 7.8
Gurren Lagann The Movie: Childhood's end - 6.8
Gurren Lagann The Movie: The Lights in the Sky Are Stars - 7.1
Trigun: Badlands rumble - 6.5
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion - 7.3
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death and Rebirth - 6.4
Neon Genesis Evangelion: 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone - 7.0
Neon Genesis Evangelion: 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance - 7.7
Neon Genesis Evangelion: 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo - 7.5
I, Robot - 6.5
I Am Legend - 6.7
Robocop (1987) - 6.6
Labyrinth - 6.7
The Matrix -7.5

Welp...

So far, I've found three movies with scores above eight: Interstellar, the Imitation Game, and Maze Runner: Scorch Trials.

The third of those was released in September. 2015. Where the hell do they get their data from?

So far, I've found three movies with scores above eight: Interstellar, the Imitation Game, and Maze Runner: Scorch Trials.

The third of those was released in September. 2015. Where the hell do they get their data from?
The next three Divergent movies all scored 7.6+....the final one comes out in 2017. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.