Barbarians like us (Tomoko and Aigilas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To his question, a nearby guard helpfully directed Vertun to the training grounds. He wasn't surprised: the past few days cannot have been easy for her either, and he knew she liked working off her anger and annoyance this way. It was her way of turning bad feelings into something productive; it cheered her, and that she could do this also cheered him.
The princess was training with four men when he arrived; he could immediately tell who among them was her, even when he was yet too far away to recognise her armour, even when she was facing him and he couldn't see her hair. There was no mistaking the way she moved, the strong, graceful, fluid ease that marked her clearly as the superior even when having four against her. If these men were enemies, they would no longer be alive. A smile spread on his face as he watched, not from so close as to disturb her; it was plain to see she was in her element now. His words could wait until this was over.
When he saw them finish, he approached, going around the side of the training field toward the bench she had sat down on: even if nobody was using it right at the moment, one still did not just cross it when one could go around. She was honing her weapons now; it was just like her to not spend a moment idle as long as there was something to enhance on her equipment or her techniques. He stood beside her, moving to salute her, then remembering, at least this time, that she kept telling him not to.
"Good morning, Princess. I have just returned. How have you been?" These words that would have been too little for even basic formality for any Vinurian were far from formality here, at home. He truly wished that her morning be a good one, and longed to know how she had been, and he knew she knew that. He smiled again, just happy for now that his words had meaning at least to the one dearest to him.

Overwhelming peace and joy filled her being at his voice. She didn't need to look up she set her sword to the side and worked on her daggers. "Welcome home Vertun." She said the smile in her voice. She took off her helm and looked up at him with a warm smile on her face. "Did you have fun? I sure did not. Me and my aunt were 'presented' I guess you would say to the adviser of Vinurian. Took me hours to learn three minutes worth of their culture. We have a challenge ahead of us." She sheathed her daggers so fast he barely caught it she stood up grabbing her sword. She wandered over to a training dummy and she sliced at it and stabbed at it testing the sharpness of her blade. Occasionally stopping to sharpen a spot. "Did you submit your report to father yet?" She sheathed her blade when she deemed it good. She turned to him and he looked tired. She could only guess why but she was certain she knew why. Being fully sunk into that culture must have been terrible.

Vertun just shook his head sadly. He had not really expected Ragunda's first meeting with the Vinurian culture to go any better than that. If he was frank, he couldn't expect any sane person's first meeting with them to go much better. He was aware, of course, that this wasn't the kindest way to think of their new allies, but it was warranted, and all the more so because it wasn't only her and his problem. Even if the village folk of Vinuria weren't as bad as those he met in the capital, there was no way for the entire Marcodanian people to collectively avoid this aspect of Vinuria. And even while it brought the promise of wealth and comfort, it still wasn't a cheerful prospect.
"No, not yet, I haven't had occasion to meet him before he left to see the new fortifications. I will give it to him when he comes back. But I owe you the same report as I owe him, although I have nothing good to say."
In as few words as he could, to spare her his own frustration, he told her about what he saw, the good and the bad, ending with his concerns about the success of the alliance itself.
"And not only that, I am somehow not inclined to trust them. Maybe just because they use so many words and gestures and not half of them means anything, but they still give me the feeling that they are not being frank. And I don't know if I only see that because that's what I want to see." Innocent words, but the princess would understand them. This was an admission he didn't make gladly, that he didn't fully trust his own judgment anymore; he used to be proud of not letting anything cloud that. But nor have so far his feelings for the princess drawn him in another direction than his loyalty to the kingdom and his king. "I want to make up my mind properly about that, but they aren't making it very easy."

She listened to the full report. Fully understanding everything. "So it is not just me getting that feeling? I think they are too long used to patching everything with fancy words and hiding their true intent so as to seem harmless that it is ingrained in their culture." She said being straight up with him. He was her adviser and he needed this information. "I do hope that our melding will blend the cultures. Hopefully resulting in our culture improving but theirs toning down. So that we can all find it tolerable." They had so much to offer so she was not going to mess this up her kingdom needed this. The trades they would bring in would make this kingdom so very wonderful. "The adviser was pleasantly surprised with how willing I was to learn so that bought us a few points in our favor." She informed him. "I do believe this will be going down." Nothing betrayed her outwards appearance but internally she felt repulsed at those words. "Thank you for your report Vertun please relay it to father the moment he arrives I need to go do my mounted fighting training." She smiled at him as she put on her helmet then walked off.
Once out of sight she sped up her pace so not to display her fear and upset but enough to make her look serious and set on a path. Once in the barn she ran to Ruby's stall she took off her helm and set it on the bench outside she entered her pen. The beautiful palomino turned to her she buried her face in her neck and hugged her. "Hey Ruby" She whispered to her. She stayed there against Ruby's beautiful gold coat just breathing in the scent of her beloved friend and letting her calm energy help the Princess find calm. She really didn't have lessons but she would go for a ride she needed time to think. Princess Ragunda brushed Ruby down slowly taking her time they would be out for a while. Check all her hooves. Finally she saddled her up. She milled about the barn grabbed stuff she would need they would be gone a while 2 no 3 feed bags just to be sure for Ruby. She had a guard go fetch her some bread and cheese for her self she threw what she needed for them both in a bag and tied it to the saddle.
Finally prepared she lead Ruby out of the barn. She climbed on Ruby's back and let her run as fast as she wanted. When ever Ruby look a tiny bit tired Ragunda gave her a break not caring how much time this took. She loved these moments. They eventually flew past the kingdoms boarders she was in open territory she could see for miles so she was safe. The Princess stopped at a pond and let Ruby drink and take a break and eat some grass. The Princess took this time to sing to herself always vigilant of the area around her. She stopped singing and ate some of her snack.

Last edited by a moderator:
The carriage was, of course, of Vinurian make - though Wold had to have the blue, white and gold arms of the kingdom painted on it separately -, and so were their unnaturally fancy clothes, and everything to the last horseshoe nail; he liked to do his job properly, and it wasn't exactly hard to buy anything from Vinuria. Just costly, but that money would come back to them along with the entire Vinurian treasury. King Adamar would be pleased.
He was heading for Marcodan, with two more "diplomats" and four guards, intending to arrive there after a detour through Vinuria, with the aim of pretending that they were sent to retrieve the princess. Evening was setting in, but he preferred it that way, it helped them stay unnoticed; he wouldn't stop for the night for a while yet, but it was time to water the horses. There was a pond nearby, perfect for the purpose.
What he did not expect was to run into the princess this soon, out of the country and alone, but he was not about to turn down such luck. It had to be easier than to convince the king and his advisors that they were what they said to be; that carried the risk that someone would see through their disguise, or even that they would meet the actual Vinurians.
Still, this was a change of plans, even if a change for the better, and they had to be careful. He had the carriage slow down and had a whispered conversation with his men.
First of all, he wasn't completely sure it was indeed her; but armoured young women were not a common sight, they weren't far from Marcodan, and even in the failing light he could see her long black hair and the palomino horse that according to the description they were given she liked to ride. It would just be too much of a coincidence. They agreed they would take that chance.
Then there was the question of their tactics. They outnumbered her, that was clear, but they had been warned to not engage her in open combat unless necessary. Could she be convinced to come with them? None of them could think of any reason that they would take this route if they were actually from Vinuria and going to Marcodan. She was supposedly clever, she would think of that. That left only combat, but there was no reason that they should announce that to her immediately. No, they would just approach as friendly travellers. Wold directed the guards to stay on their mounts and be prepared lest she should get away on horseback; he and the other two "diplomats" checked their very un-Vinurian swords under their fashionably patterned short capes, and stayed inside the carriage for now. They were still going to the pond to water the horses, but the story was now that they just happened to be returning to Vinuria from somewhere else... that would be the story until they managed to have her cornered, that is.

She heard the carriage before she saw it she rose taking her feed bag off Ruby and tossing it in the bag of stuff. She let them approach her. Something felt off so she pulled on her helmet. Her eyes were that of royalty and a dead give away. "Hello travelers." She called. As they got closer everything about them screamed Vinura people all but the posture. Sure it was a far fetched detail but she had an hour lesson solely on her posture the day before. Maybe they were weary from travel and slipped up a bit. She doubted that but she would stay wary. Letting her posture stay lose and calm she went about tending to her horse idly checking Ruby's hooves and such so as to seem nonchalant.

Wold got out of the carriage slowly, pretending to be more weary from travelling than he really was, to look less of a threat for it. He went to stand in front of the princess, but a few steps back, so that she wouldn't have to turn her head to look towards him; that pretty much meant, as she was grooming her horse at the moment, that he was half invisible behind the horse, but if the rules said that, the rules said that, it was not polite to make her turn and 'look for' him when he was the one arriving, and it was even favourable in that she would less likely see him clearly if he made some sort of mistake.
"Your fame has gone before you. We, unworthy of your presence, were graced by it, but your fame was itself unworthy of you." That was the formula to be used with someone who is yet a stranger and superior in rank. He bowed deeply while stepping backwards and opening his arms, which gesture in a greeting was supposed to signify that he didn't want to be a bother and was apologising for taking up her time (and thus, of course, had to be present in most polite greetings). Then he looked back up again to deliver the rest of the greeting; every single possible line that applied to her in some way had to be recited, showing that he was paying attention to her. "The world is brighter for your beauty." This part was for young women, and as nobody would ever tell a woman that she was no longer young, in fact it was for every woman, including those who were already great-grandmothers. "May your work find rest soon." That was for those who were doing any work in the evening; this time, it referenced the fact that she was tending her horse. Wait... did the journeying line come before or after the working line? Well, after, now. "I wish you a safe arrival." That was all that occurred to him that related to her state at the moment, and he couldn't stall for too long, lest she see he had to think about it; after all, he only had to occupy her attention until she was properly surrounded. Then he took a step to the right, out of his direct line of sight, bowing again; this meant that he would be waiting patiently for her to acknowledge his presence (and, of course, give a similarly convoluted answer) before continuing the introduction of a polite conversation with mutual questions of sheer formality and no meaning. He remembered to make his feet parallel on the ground; that meant that he wasn't impatient or anxious to flee from the conversation. From the corner of his eyes he could see his companions quietly moving into position.

Princess Ragunda slapped Ruby's flank and she flew off running to the kingdom. Her horse was well trained enough to head home and would serve as a good warning. "Your manner betray you. It is not kind to surround a woman. Sadly I spooked and patted my horse to hard and now I have to walk back." She wanted to be captured to see what they wanted and would do. "Would you kindly give me a ride to my kingdom or to where my horse bolted too. It seems you were headed that way anyways." She wasn't a fool by any means and she certainly hoped they were.
The guards and Vertun had been trained that if either the King or Princess's horse returned without them in good shape it meant they sent the horse back as a sign that they not in a good situation. She knew her horse would travel faster without her on it's back. Due to her armor and self being heavy.

Wold found himself slightly confused, and had to fill the time with empty pleasantries while he turned the situation around in his mind. (Not that it was unrealistic to; that's what a Vinurian would do.) Was she saying that she was suspicious of them, or was she saying that she trusted their good intentions? Her words didn't match. Well, there was no polite way to ask that question without revealing that he wasn't what he said he was. Furthermore, the princess was supposedly a good horsewoman, not one to frighten her own horse, who knew her well, away; and she really couldn't expect them to overtake a horse galloping with an empty back in the carriage that was by its nature slower; even finding it would be a difficult task now that night was rapidly falling, even if the horse was light-coloured. None of the way she acted was adding up. Not that it was a bad thing that she wanted to go with them; he also wanted her in the carriage, and now it wouldn't take a fight to make her come along. But it still looked suspiciously like she was playing a game, and he was no longer sure who was trapping whom. He couldn't imagine what sort of plan she had, but he didn't like the fact that she seemed to have one. And he didn't have time to talk it over with his men either.
Regardless, there were seven of them, eight counting the coachman, and she was now without a horse and without means to flee. He wasn't exactly fearing for his life. He graciously agreed to make a little detour to take the princess to Marcodan; once inside, they simply would go in another direction and wouldn't let her get out. He knew he had to be careful about her weapons, but if there was a path of least risk, this was it.

In Marcodan, it was getting dark. King Ongar had already arrived home from supervising the new fortifications, and Vertun had given him his report; to say that the king was cheered by his words would be an overstatement.
Vertun himself was increasingly worried about the princess; he knew she could take care of herself, and it wasn't unheard of that she left on impulse, but he didn't precisely like the circumstances of this one. First of all, she had neglected to inform the guards that she was no longer available for training: she was looked for and asked about, and Vertun decided he had better see to the matter. It wasn't like her to forget promises. There was no sign that she was doing any mounted training as she had indicated, but instead - when, after sufficiently asking around, he finally put together who saw her last - every sign that she had gone on a long excursion. On an ordinary day that also wouldn't have worried him too much; Marcodan was a safe place, and she could take care of herself well.
He couldn't put his finger on what exactly he feared might happen, he only knew that she had reason to be upset even if she showed otherwise - which she normally did, as he himself saw not long ago. Part of that, he felt, was his fault; he couldn't choose what results to return home with and tell her, but he should have... well, what should he have done? Asked her about it, when he knew full well that they couldn't speak of how she might have felt except privately and with the utmost caution? Refused to let her out of his sight, when she wasn't a child anymore, and deserved to be trusted with her decisions? He didn't know what, but there most likely was something that he should have done.
King Ongar had already asked about his daughter, and he told him that she seemed to have left; the king took that easily (he knew, at least, that Ragunda was frustrated with the Vinurian envoy, and thought that she might be riding out to calm herself), and Vertun didn't want to induce unnecessary alarm, his own was enough. He didn't have anything helpful to add, after all. The only piece of information he had that the king didn't was how she felt. And this one piece of information he didn't owe to tell him.
But he did go up to his brooding window, hoping to see her returning form, even though it was too dark to recognise anyone anymore, and soon it would be too dark to even see a rider. He didn't know what he was hoping for, only that he wouldn't sleep easily until he saw her again.

She could tell by his lengthy pause that he was thinking this over she was too obvious but she hoped she was playing off as just some guard woman black hair wasn't uncommon and nor was her horse. The moment they saw her eyes however. She was grateful and polite about accepting the ride she climbed in and let them take her. She wasn't scared or concerned. She had been kidnapped once before and survived she could do it again.

Wold got inside and signalled the coachman that they were ready to go. To not alert the princess with the hurry - and, well, the horses did need to finish drinking - they took a few minutes to start, as they normally would; he filled that time apologising for the delay and reassuring the princess that they would be going presently. Inwardly he breathed a sigh of relief when they were on the road again.
They did not bother with detours to conceal where they were going anymore; Marcodan was nearby, and they didn't want to get any closer to the border with the princess. The four-horse carriage was straight on its way to Goncona, capital of Wornia. They would not arrive tonight, but they could get some good distance between Marcodan and themselves. Because the princess - if she was indeed the one they caught - may have been alone, but if anyone found them, they wouldn't stand a chance against the neighbouring country's soldiers.
What pleased Wold the most was the very fact that they had changed their plan. That should make them difficult to find; after all, it was only by chance that they were where they were now.

She took this time to fake sleep and plan her move. They most likely once they had her at the destination they were headed to would throw her in some kind of dungeon or simply tie her up. Remove her helm and weapons. For now she may or may not be royalty she was not the only trained female just males stepped up for the militia more often then women. So a female guard wasn't unheard of. Hopefully the startle of her being the Princess would force them to think of a new plan and if she over heard it that would be perfect. Even then it would give her enough time to escape and do some info gathering.

Eventually, the young woman who may or may not have been the princess appeared to fall asleep. One of Wold's men - new to the team - seemed to think this would be a good opportunity to discuss strategy.
"So now we..."
Wold waved a hand to quickly shut him up and pointed to the hopefully-princess. "Let us not wake her," he whispered. He wasn't sure if she was in fact sleeping or not, and even in a half-sleep she may hear and remember too much. He waited for an hour or two, observing her in the meantime in the unsteady light of the lamp they had with them inside the carriage. If she was the princess, how would he know? He didn't even have a picture, just a description to go by; the Marcodanian royals didn't seem to sit for paintings very often. The original plan was better on that account. But it was worth risking this mistake: if she proved to be someone else, they would just kill her and try again. In fact she might be killed even if she was the princess, but that wasn't going to be Wold's decision.
Stopping at an inn was, of course, out of the question. She would immediately know they were in the wrong place, and as an inn wasn't a prison, she might get away, possibly with one of their horses. Instead, the coachman drove the team - as was their usual strategy - into a forest where they wouldn't be visible to Marcodanians who could possibly be following, while Wold suddenly drew his sword and held it against the neck of their captive, grabbing her head in the crook of his other arm. Following suit, the other 'diplomats' also drew their swords. It was high time to disarm her; the rest of the journey would be that much safer.

By the sound of the horses hooves wildlife and other sounds and scents. They were in a forest. And now they planned to disarm her and remove her helm. To play along or to take a hostage and get her info that way. With a blade against her throat she wasn't in the best spot but they hadn't heard/noticed her draw her dagger and lay on it she blocked his sword at her neck with it as she slammed her elbow in to his stomach the small but razor sharp blade on her elbow cutting in nicely. She flipped him over her onto one or two of his men and jumped out the back of the cart rolling to be on her feet facing the cart ready for them to come flooding at her.

That hurt, and it drew blood, but it was nothing Wold had not endured before... though he did wish he too was wearing proper armour instead of this stupid silk thing that was good solely for decoration. A fight was clearly no longer avoidable. He didn't have to signal for the driver to stop the horses, the man did so quite on his own; it was difficult to miss the sound of someone jumping out the back of the wagon.
Out of the four mounted guards two were riding ahead of the carriage and two behind, on the forest path that was barely wide enough to accommodate the carriage, in single file to make turning around possible at all; the first one of these latter, of course, was right in the path of the princess, and the horse momentarily reared up in surprise, backing up one step lest he trample her. But by then the other guard was beside them, effectively blocking the way. And in a few seconds, the pretend diplomats were piling out the back of the carriage; the two guards in the front would have a little trouble finding a way through the shrubbery to get around to the back. Even so, she was effectively surrounded.
They were not really supposed to kill her, not unless they had no other choice. But Wold wasn't sure she would let herself be captured and disarmed alive.

She watched as blood bloomed. He was a bit too confident and not tending his wound. He'd be weakened. She let her battle skills talk for her and she knocked out more then she killed she wanted information not dead bodies. But one snuck up behind her probably the leader he had vanished during the battle probably into the bushes she had slipped up. He knocked her out.

Wold breathed an exhausted huff and sat down. The girl was out for now, but not dead, and that was good. But he had lost one man, might possibly lose two if they couldn't get Herde to a physician soon, many sustained minor wounds and he himself wasn't so well either. So much for resting for the night; now they needed to make haste, however little good the motion of the carriage might do to the wounded. He would switch for fresh horses in the first village, they would likely not be happy with being woken up well after midnight, but he wasn't going to let that stop him, this was an emergency. With the help of his living and conscious men, he quickly disarmed and restrained the young woman, putting her in the carriage; only then could they go about reviving the unconscious.
They also needed to revise the sitting order a little. He and Herde got in, along with one of the most healthy men for safety's sake in case the princess should try something again, and they lay the dead body of Anjuk down in the middle of the carriage. He deserved a proper burial. The others, only lightly wounded, were now the guards and they followed along on horseback. He was anxious to be in the capital... but he would drop Herde off at the first reliable-looking healer he could find.

She woke up groggily and flinched internally at the pain in her neck. She wasn't dead so that was a step up they could have just killed cause of her actions. Her helm was still on but her fighting style may have gave her away. She hoped she'd stay valuable to them.

Wold's group was making much better time since they got the fresh horses; by first light they had Herde in the hands of a capable healer (though with no prognosis yet on his survival). They could afford a short break now, and after this night it would be welcome to everyone. Fortunately, they hadn't seen anyone following them, and by now they were deep enough in Wornia to make it unlikely, so they could rest easy, not even needing to hide the carriage now, parking just outside of town. The dawn was pleasantly cool, the first birds of the daylight were just starting their morning song, and all in all it was an ideal time for a rest. The horses were unharnessed and allowed to graze and drink from a nearby creek. Provisions were produced - fancy Vinurian food, they didn't want to be caught eating salted ham and onions and drinking beer on this mission, no, their provisions were pastries and soft, spicy rolls, with a light apple cider for drink. Wold opined that after all this exercise a man really deserved something more substantial, but he wasn't going to let perfectly edible food go to waste. They will have something better later. It wasn't a cheerful meal, not with Anjuk's corpse still resting at their feet, but it was a peaceful one.
That was when he saw the princess stir. That was good news; she was alive. He didn't feel too charitable towards her, not after the night's events, but it was exactly what he would have done if he had been on the opposite side of the kidnapping, so he couldn't really hate her either; she was to be captured alive, so he didn't wish her dead.
"You're alive," he said in a tone that wasn't quite hostile, but not friendly either. "Can you speak?"

Status
Not open for further replies.