Backup your chat roleplays

jared555

Hostman / BOFH
Original poster
SERVER TECHNICIAN
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Chat RP logs are not meant to be permanent, they just were not cleaned up for a while. Please save any logs that you want to keep as the role plays happen.

Due to possible confusion caused by the logs building up, I have temporarily restored backups to my personal domain. This will not happen again in the future.

From the bug reports thread:

http://jared555.com/oldiwchats/logas.php?room=main

Replace main with one of the following: BAR BORD CATA CITY CONF COVE DICE INN MYTH RP STE

This will only remain temporarily. Anyone wishing to retrieve logs should do so immediately.

WHO ARE YOU AND WHERE IS MY TROLL JARED! D: THIS IS TOO NICE!

Reactions: jared555
Just out of curiosity, is there any particular reason they are not / should not be permanent, or to at least have a persistent archive of them somewhere?

The majority of chat logs are just chatting nonsense and most people forget about the logs in there after a couple days. Never to go back and look at them again. They also aren't searchable so they stack up FAST. Hundreds and thousands of log files that cannot be easily searched through, so if someone DID want to go back and find their logs it would take them HOURS. And to add the features to the current cbox system or having to move them to another folder is not a worthwhile option at the moment.

If someone did a roleplay they really cared about, it takes two minutes to save their logs from the night. That is the most common sense thing to do.

Final warning: I am going to pull these down within a day or two.