Awed and Inspired!

P

PoetLore

I just spent a fabulous day touring the Edsel Ford House and grounds as part of a day tour. The house is simply amazing and the atmosphere was so very inspiring and I was honestly awed by the splendor and attention to detail in each room I was privileged to tour.

edselfordhouse4.jpg The main house 40,000 sq. ft.

EdselFordHouse.jpg The Gatehouse, where Security and Groundskeeper lived.

edselFordHouse2.jpg A gorgeous sitting room with embossed ceiling.

EdselFordHouse3.jpg An 18,000 sq. ft. playhouse, built to 2/3 scale for a 7 yr old.

Have you ever been anywhere that swept you away to another world, or made your mind take flight to a place or scene for future writing??

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Dipper and Nav
8D Well, I lived in a palace? The Dalkeith Palace in Scotland, more specifically.

So, in Scotland and other parts of the UK, they have so many castles and palaces that are expensive to upkeep, they let them to universities to use as student housing... So, for two years, I lived here:

MontaguBridgea.JPG

It was really quite magical!

untitled_by_xatalayax-d8gpy3a.jpg

untitled_by_xatalayax-d8gpznv.jpg

I'm such a sucker for beautiful nature views. McAfee Knob is the cliche, most photographed spot on the Appalachian Trail, but it's close to where I live and easy enough for me to navigate so I've been there a few times ( I need to go again this summer). I haven't been to many places, but this spot just takes my breath away every time I get to that ledge and look out at the mountains and sky, and I just feel like I'm on a different plane entirely.

Even with the other hikers that pass through often, it's just a peaceful, surreal place that makes me tear up whenever I go.

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore and Vars
Uhhh so it's not very picturesque, but Finland?? XD I really don't know why I like it so much. Maybe something in the air.

I've definitely been to way prettier places that I could share but if I had a chance to go to any of them again for "inspirational purposes" I'd pick Finland.
Specifically Helsinki but Turku (the only other place in Finland I've been) was cool too.

Japan's also high up there but that's more for nostalgia reasons and not beauty (I used to live there).

Reactions: PoetLore
Joshua Tree National Park. It's an incredible landscape. I used to camp there when I was a kid and it still blows my mind.

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore and rissa
Driving along Lake Superior on my journey to the East Coast. Beautiful.

[spoili]Lake Superior.jpg[/spoili]

Our camp in the Gulf Hammock. It's just a swamp but the view you get of the stars at night is absolutely breathtaking.

My pictures are not the best, but Arlington National Cemetery. It was extremely peaceful there and absolutely beautiful.
[spoili]
graves2_by_brambleclawandjaypaw-d4x6f7l.jpg

graves_by_brambleclawandjaypaw-d4x6f1r.jpg

robert_lincoln__s_grave_by_brambleclawandjaypaw-d4x6emo.jpg

tomb_by_brambleclawandjaypaw-d4x7cbi.jpg

[/spoili]

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore and Dipper
I don't have any photos, unfortunately, but there's an area along the west coast of Møn in the Danish countryside where rolling meadowland gives way to vast stretches of coastline overlooking the sea. One could easily wile away hours there walking idly through the meadows or along the coast with ample peace and quiet to ponder just about anything, including writing and plot ideas, with minimal interruption. Aside from the occasional tractor, I guess.

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore and Dipper
I don't have photos but I was driving up through the very sparsely inhabited forests of Norrland in the dead of night. It was a long drive and I got out to just stretch my legs and have some water and the sight of the stars above and the silent trees around really kicked me in the gut - it was so beautiful.

• Love