Autumn Holidays

K

Kitti

Original poster
fall-leaves-tree.jpg

[size=+1]All around the world, people are preparing for all sorts of different holidays. Autumn is a colorful time for many places around the world that celebrate.

Here are some you might not have known!

* Eid al-Adha: Eid al-Adha is celebrated annually on the 10th, 11th and 12th day of the twelfth and the last Islamic month of Dhu al-Hijjah (ذو الحجة) (Putting is solidly in October!) of the lunar Islamic calendar. Eid al-Adha celebrations start after the Hajj, the annual pilgrimage to Mecca in Saudi Arabia by Muslims worldwide, descend from Mount Arafat.

* Armistice Day: is on 11 November and commemorates the armistice signed between the Allies of World War I and Germany at Compiègne, France, for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front of World War I, which took effect at eleven o'clock in the morning—the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" of 1918.

*Tazaungdaing festival: held on the full moon day of Tazaungmone, the eighth month in the traditional Burmese calendar (November), is celebrated as a national holiday in Burma (Myanmar) and marks the end of the rainy season. It also marks the end of the Kathina (Kahtein in Burmese) season, during which monks are offered new robes and alms.

*Diwali: It begins in late Ashvin (between September and October) and ends in early Kartika (between October and November). The days in Ashvin are in the Krishna Paksha ("dark fortnight") of that month, while the days in Kartik are in its Shukla Paksha ("bright fortnight"). Diwali involves the lighting of small clay lamps (dīpa in Sanskrit: दीप) filled with oil to signify the triumph of good over evil. These lamps are kept on during the night and one's house is cleaned, both done in order to make the goddess Lakshmi feel welcome. Firecrackers are burst in order to drive away evil spirits. During Diwali, all the celebrants wear new clothes and share sweets and snacks with family members and friends.

How do you celebrate your autumn holiday?

[/size]

With food. Lots and lots of food! And bundling up and taking in the changing colors on long walks. Sharing food in a sense of thanksgiving, is a wondrous thing to do with friends and family.

Yes, I have food cooked for Halloween. Soup and cider is on the menu every year.

My favorite holidays are in the autumn! 8D Halloween and Thanksgiving!

For Halloween we will be building the tradition of having a very scary house, and a costume party! I'm thinking about making a couple batches of Chili and Cider as our halloween party feast. >:3

And Thanksgiving IS a feast. 8D A giant southern feast of which the likes you have never seen. Enough food to feed 30 people AND have left overs.

Thanksgiving. All that food....I mean, dude. ALL THAT FOOD. The one time each year people don't judge me for going full food coma > <

Halloween is cool, too. Dressing up and evil and such.

Christmas is also nice. I love me some ham, and the weather in December is great. Cold, cold, cold.

Hmm. I guess the only Autumn holiday I can think of in my country would be October 23rd, when Hungary remembers the revolution of 1956. There is no real way to celebrate it or a tradition attached to it, but people often gather in open areas and listen to speeches. No special dishes or anything, just a ceremony in honour of those who died in the revolution.

Halloween is the only holiday I will celebrate, one week with horror movies and weird candy and scary decorations x3

I THINK Don't kill me if I got this wrong, but I remember some Chinese festival being held at my college in Ohio during the fall... maybe it was a full moon festival or New Years?
All I know is I was happy to be there, right up until someone fucked up and made a grease fire, and some other idiot threw water at it. There wasn't anything really flamable in that kitchen besides the grease, so it was killed quick and festivities roseback up.

<.<

I love Halloween too, it's my favorite, but I always think of that one day. everyone in my dorm was offered a chance to come by and try the food and just talk about the festival I remember the food tasting good and they had these cookies that were freaking DELCIOUS, and they were very very kind.

^.^

I THINK Don't kill me if I got this wrong, but I remember some Chinese festival being held at my college in Ohio during the fall... maybe it was a full moon festival or New Years?

The festival you're talking about is the Mid-Autumn festival or Zhongqiu festival. It's a major Chinese/Vietnamese holiday that's celebrated usually during the autumn equinox and puts a big emphasis on the moon.

My family celebrates this. ^^ We give moon cakes to friends and families (and omg I just recently found out how expensive they are) and the egg yolk inside is supposed to symbolize the Harvest moon. You'll also have people lighting up lanterns and stuff. It's pretty nice.

Aside from that though, I love Halloween, love Thanksgiving, and I love Christmas.

THAT HAS TO E WHAT THEY MADE! Moon cakes!

Oh my god, they were good, and they looked fun to make!

ZEN YOU ARE AWESOME! I've been wondering what that holiday was!

I like to spend All Hollows Eve by pulling tricks on people. Not harsh ones to where someone would hate me for life. Just simple little tricks that me and my friends can laugh at.

I hate trick-or-treating because it's just collecting strangers' candy in the freezing cold... The most I'll do for that is hand out candy to the kiddos who come to the doorstep. However, I do have this really weird tradition where I like to have a Star Wars marathon on Halloween. I also like to cook a special meal, carve pumpkins, decorate the house the month of October... That's my way of celebrating I guess. I'm too introverted and anxious to go to parties. xD; I just like to be alone or with my significant other for the occasion.

I celebrate Thanksigivng too.. It's my favourite holiday of all. :3 I love to help the families cook and I love to eeeaaat it. What's awesomer is I get to celebrate it more than once since I have different families to be with, hehe.

Those holidays that are foreign to me are very interesting. The more you know!

i celebrate the pagan halloween, the version that it comes from, samhain. .) witchcraft has been a family tradition clear into italy for us, and i usually celebrate by baking little orange and brown cakes and snuggling up in a blanket where it's warm. >w<