Ashes of Dreams (Gummi Bunnies & MarMar)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gummi Bunnies

Original poster

"... and with this, you should be able to traverse into another world. You don't have to worry on where it would take you, because we used the data from your Replicant's memories to lead you to the spot related to that... individual."

"I understand. Hand me the device."

A moment of silence echoed throughout the lab room that was hidden within the village's library. To them, it didn't need to be hidden anymore due to the current human population being two. Within that lab room, two sisters stared at each other with great concern, but not for themselves.

103-62.png

"If you go, Nier, there may not be a way for you back, where you can continue to care for your sister. The device should send you back after a set period of time, but it still can malfunction."

Popola brought up this concern, her eyes showing genuine worry.

104-88.jpg

"Besides, if you can't come back with what we made you, it also means you won't be able to see your sister again. So are you really sure?"

Devola walked straight up in front of Nier, her eyes showing another level of concern and worry towards their "Shadowlord." Even with this, the huntsman wasn't that worried or put off by their warnings.

tumblr_o91mteE7cr1v3qowuo6_100.png

"I hear you both, and I'm aware of those dangers. However, those are only chances, and that the real concern is seeing if this works successfully. Other than it being possible to repopulate this barren world... I see that..."

"... just say that it's important to you... to me..."

tumblr_o95ytaaMh81v3qowuo3_100.png

"... it's important to me. I believe there's something worth looking for, to see what my Replicant saw full of worth..."

As Nier spoke with apparent confidence in his voice, catching both androids in surprise. Surely they were expecting him to back out now, but remembering how he acted prior to the Gestaltization and how his Replicant acted, they sighed in response upon realizing that.

Taking the device into his hands, Nier gave one last look to the twins, and then looked down at the device.

tumblr_o95yz5CrDg1v3qowuo7_100.png

"I'll be back... keep an eye on Yonah for me..."

With the flip of a switch, Nier vanished in a bright light, being transported to a place where a specific woman was located outside of his own world.

"Once we arrive... is it possible for me... to talk to her? Not through your words, I won't make you the messenger. I want to truly talk to her through my own words."

"You're talking about taking over? I... don't think that's possible without having this body immediately lose control. I'm not exactly sure on what would happen, to be honest... but I'm not sure if it's worth the risk. A risk like that could mean the end of the both of us..."

"... fine. Just don't give Vanille the wrong idea. This may be the only chance I have to see her once more... before we are dragged back to that empty world."

And so... Nier opened his eyes again, and he wasn't in that lab with Popola and Devola.

It was time to see Vanille, just like his Replicant had desired after his "death."

@MarMar

Last edited by a moderator:
latest

[drop]V[/drop]anille was aimlessly walking along the beach of New Bodhum. Ever since she returned back "home" from her hellish adventure in the underwater city of Rapture, all she ever did was this. Every morning as the sun would repeat its daily routine of rising into the sky, the redhead would get up and just... walk, and think about her time back in Rapture. She had thought about the people she met there, and the things she witnessed while she was down there with everyone else.

Although she had a lot of events and people to think about after what she had been through... there was one person that always came into mind.

'...Nier.'

Always, always, always... she thought about him. It pained her as she remembered his passing. His body had become lifeless right before her very eyes, and she couldn't do anything. All she was able to do was watch.

Fang had repeatedly told her not to beat herself up over what happened, but she couldn't stop blaming herself for Nier's death. The older Oerbian had decided to leave her be, as she couldn't seem to stop her from thinking such things. It would take time for her to recover from her grief.

Fortunately, she had all the time in the world.

After a few moments, Vanille soon noticed a figure that stood on the bridge that connected to the beach. That figure wasn't Fang. The Oerbian usually wasn't up during this hour. Looking at the person for a little longer, she saw that the person had... white hair? She knew of two people who had white hair: Hope and Nier. It couldn't have been the former because he was back home at Palumpolum with his father. Then it had to be... the latter?

The redhead found herself running towards the person without hesitation. As soon as she was within earshot of the person, she spoke.

"H—How are you here?"

tumblr_inline_naozqtvE9Z1s82kdl.gif

"I thought you..."

The word 'died' never even made it past her lips.

She couldn't bring herself to say it.

@Gummi Bunnies
i am shit how to write idk anymore yo

Ever since the device had sent him here, Nier silently looked at the beach in front of his eyes. It was peaceful... it reminded him of the days before the 6-12 incident... the incident that reshaped his world and Yonah's completely... and permanently. The thought of never seeing something like that again was a despairing one for Nier to think about again and again. Just like he had thought so, his Replicant self thought the same at some point for his Yonah... and Vanille. Now that they were here, it would be the only time that his Replicant self could see a precious person in his life.

Unsure on where to go from here, Nier felt the inclination to sit down on the bridge and watch the water come in and off of the shore in waves, listening to the peaceful beauty of this world... something that his world would never see.

tumblr_o95z2qYboY1v3qowuo2_100.png

"Huh?"

Turning around at the sound of a new yet familiar voice, Nier made eye contact with a particular pinkette. He didn't seem to catch on at first, but all that was needed for this was his Replicant's confirmation.

"That's Vanille... so we really made it to her..."

Now it made sense to Nier, that this is the person that became just as important as Yonah for his Replicant self. Yet, he didn't realize that his Replicant self happened to "die" in front of her, which would explain her reaction upon seeing him here.

tumblr_o91jdjWt3t1v3qowuo6_100.png

"... how I got here, that's not important. You're... Vanille... correct?"

As if he didn't want to mess this up too much, Nier stepped once towards Vanille, carefully considering on whether or not he was doing what his Replicant self would do in this situation.

@MarMar

[drop]S[/drop]omething wasn't right, and Vanille could feel it. There was... something different about Nier. He clearly didn't remember her — especially with how he asked about who she was — and he was acting strangely. Maybe... she was just seeing things. After all, this place was just a dreamland that she and Fang were in while they inhabited the tall crystal pillar that held up Cocoon. If his being here was just her imagination... this world was even more cruel than she'd previously thought.

Eventually, she found herself responding to his question, "Yes, I'm...Vanille."

tumblr_inline_offlm8FvJU1sp0qi5_500.png

"...Are you alright? Have you forgotten who I am?"

'Are you even real?' Was what she also wanted to ask him.

However, she refrained from doing so.

'I've missed you... so, so much, Nier...'

tumblr_inline_offll9YhiU1sp0qi5_500.png

Her heart ached.

@Gummi Bunnies

tumblr_o92xubDGJD1v3qowuo4_100.png

"I'm alright. No need to ask that. Along with that... I needed confirmation that you're Vanille... I do know... who you are..."

Despite not knowing this girl, Nier felt the need to reaffirm her somehow. He had lived for more than a thousand years, and had the knowledge of how individuals acted in certain situations. In a way, he could tell that Vanille had missed Nier so much, but that... was something that complicated his thoughts... and the thoughts of his Replicant self. Stepping forward once more, Nier wondered if she could see the difference between him and how she saw his Replicant.

"Don't you try to take my place! You haven't been listening to me for the time we sought our sights for Vanille! ... you know what, Shadowlord, I'm going to take over for this."

"Wait... if you do that now... shit, not now!"

Despite trying to mentally convince his Replicant self to not do this now, Nier was overwhelmed with a strange feeling, the feeling of losing control of himself. All he had to do to counteract this, however, was to simply push the consciousness of his Replicant to the back of his mind, to silence and hopefully calm the other Nier for now. This wasn't an easy task, as Vanille would see Nier holding the side of his head as if he were experiencing a terrible migraine.

tumblr_o92wrsLroN1v3qowuo5_100.png

"Nghh... dammit..."

Nier moved his hand away from his head, stabilizing his control over his own body, but for that moment he had been slightly controlled by his Replicant self, a single tear drop rolled down his cheek and onto the wooden boards of this bridge.

His body going all numb from the resistance against a forced switch of consciousness, Nier stumbles onto his back, his breath gone all ragged and exhausted from the mental pressure his Replicant self put onto himself.

To Vanille... it was like Nier was ill once more... just like back then...

@MarMar

[drop]U[/drop]pon witnessing the entire "episode" of Nier suffering from what seemed like a migraine, Vanille's body stiffened. Her emerald eyes widened in surprise as soon as the male had stumbled onto his back. She wanted to to run over to him. She wanted to help him, but her body refused to budge from its place. Her feet were planted onto the wooden bridge.

This... was exactly like what happened last time they were together. The sad memory had been haunting her ever since it happened.

"You're...not alright," she spoke softly.

tumblr_inline_ofght49DP71sp0qi5_500.png

Vanille willed herself to be closer to him. She hesitantly took a few steps towards him and she knelt down. However, she couldn't bring herself to look at his face, so she stared down at her hands which rested on her lap.

"Nier... you're not sick again, are you?"

tumblr_inline_ofhovjcPmJ1sp0qi5_500.png

"Please, tell me the truth. I can't lose you again..."

@Gummi Bunnies
short af

tumblr_o91lbnb1xF1v3qowuo9_100.png

"... I'm not sick... it's... complicated to explain, but rest assured... I won't be going anywhere."

Nier simply stated this with a fashion that meant he didn't want Vanille to worry so much about him. He knew what it felt like to lose someone dear, as he could see in Vanille's eyes, and with the knowledge he could see in the other version of him... inside of him... he felt as if he could understand how torturous it must be for his Replicant self and Vanille.

Brushing his hand over to get a grasp on Vanille's hand, Nier looked at her in the eye...

tumblr_o91lbnb1xF1v3qowuo4_100.png

"You... don't appear to be fine, Vanille..."

He made a small comment towards the pinkette, trying to show his concern for her... just like his Replicant would say in this situation.

@MarMar

"...Of course I'm not fine."

tumblr_inline_ofsasjjcfh1sp0qi5_500.png

"I... don't like seeing you this way. It reminds me of... that time."

After she told him that, Vanille did not know what else to talk about with him. Instead of speaking, she put her own hand over Nier's and gave it a gentle squeeze Her gaze shifted to the morning sky, and she watched the sun as it continued its journey up, up, and up into the air. A small smile graced her lips and she enjoyed the view of nature at work. The waves of the ocean water crashed along the sands of the beach, and there were occasional soft breezes of wind.

Although the Oerbian was skeptical...

...this Nier was real.

And she was happy to be with him for the time being.

"Thank you."

tumblr_inline_ofsasxvTB01sp0qi5_500.png

fuck everything

@Gummi Bunnies

tumblr_o95yw9w9Yc1v3qowuo7_100.png

That's right... she saw me... the other me... die before her. I have to remember that.

Nier found himself almost like a bystander dragged right into the middle of a relationship such as this, given the case between himself and his Replicant self that Vanille had no idea or clue on their strange dynamic. However, he didn't want to bring flooding doubt into the girl. He found the connection between his Replicant self and Vanille much like how things ended up for himself and Yonah. Surely he didn't want to ruin it...

With lingering doubts driven away, he was able to finally take in the view of the beautiful beach shoreline that Vanille had familiarity with. If only it were so easy to let his Replicant self take over or even find a way to separate from the human Nier.

For now, he gave her a smile as he admired the nature's beauty here... wishing if such environments survived in his world and with Yonah.

tumblr_o91mteE7cr1v3qowuo10_100.png

"... quaint and peaceful, isn't it? I never thought I'll see a place like this again."

@MarMar

"It's beautiful, isn't it?"

tumblr_inline_ofsau30hfw1sp0qi5_500.png

Vanille was lucky to have gone into crystal stasis only to see this beautiful place as she dreamed. The Oerbian could not imagine not being able to see the lovely nature that currently surrounded her and Nier. For her entire life, she was surrounded by it when she lived on Gran Pulse. ...So Vanille was happy to be able to share the sight with him.

"This place is actually some sort of dream," she explained.

tumblr_inline_ofsawqlAMF1sp0qi5_500.png

"This is the future that me and Fang saved. We stopped that world from colliding into this one."

Vanille pointed at the large sphere that was supported by a pillar in the distance. All of the events that occurred felt like they happened not too long ago. Oh, memories...​

tumblr_o92wrsLroN1v3qowuo6_100.png

"Ah, then I see that this area signifies your hard work, Vanille. Your efforts combined with your friends to prevent a terrible future."

Nier wasn't sure how else to phrase it, because in a way, he did his share on trying to rebuild his world that was slowly going on right now. He and his sister Yonah were the first to be restored into humans, well, with a few instances of side-effects occurring, but like said by the overseers of the Replicant Project, it'll be back to normal after awhile.

Before he could say more as what he was hearing from his Replicant self inside his head, Nier heard the same muttering he heard when the crisis that started the project's foundation coming near them.

tumblr_o91mteE7cr1v3qowuo8_100.png

"That sound..."

Nier said before looking behind Vanille to see a horde of knights... and under their helms were their piercing red eyes and scaly white skin... They were once human, but now they were injected with the White Chlorination Syndrome. Those infected by this disease that almost brought Nier's world to an end... they were called the Legion, almost like a hivemind set to destroy any sign of life that wasn't made up of the Legion's infection.

tumblr_o91iffJybm1v3qowuo8_100.png

"So they found their way here... Vanille, stay close to me... now."

"Dammit dammit dammit! You... you have to protect Vanille! I'm not sure if you have to use your... magic, but try everything you can to keep her safe. Promise me that!"

He could hear the desperation in his Replicant's voice, which stemmed from the fact that his Replicant self couldn't take over and fight in his stead. That would only spell the destruction of this body that they shared, and both of them knew this very well. Nier didn't catch the fact that he nodded in silence towards his Replicant's words, and pulled out his sword. He wasn't sure if the Legion's infected were changed during the last time he saw them, and the fact that they were wearing unfamiliar armor of a knight. Whatever the case, he had to remove the threat before they hurt Vanille... or worse, infect her.

@MarMar

Status
Not open for further replies.