Arts and Crafts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hana

wandering thoughts
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Would you consider yourself someone who is good with arts and crafts? What is a craft or art that you consider yourself good at? Why do you pursue it?

Conversely, what kinds of arts and crafts do you love to look at or appreciate?

My friends and my parents considered me a pretty decent artist and I used to like sketching and drawing, but it's been a while since I've taken a pencil and a sketchbook and just let myself loose. I considered my hand drawings more like half-assed doodles anyway lol xD But I also used to enjoy making bracelets from elastics and I've made pretty braided bracelets for my friends.

Mom is very good at cross-stitching and her completed pieces are hung up around our house. :D I only get stabbed fingers and blood and tears when I try it. xD​

Reactions: Vardoger
I definitely enjoy crafts! I'm not very good at art, really, but I've made a few things out of Mason jars. I've started experimenting with my Dremel tool. And last night I painted a pokeball thing for my friend's Christmas present. I never think the things I make a very good, though >.<

Reactions: Hana
I suck at sewing and I don't particularly like doing it (I don't dislike it though) but I enjoy using sewing to make/fix things. I haven't done any huge projects yet, but as soon as I am able to get a sewing machine (which I've never had before. Been sewing by hand before this point) I'd like to make my own clothes. So far I've just mended things I own and modified a few cosplays. I'd also like to try my hand at making a fursuit. Which I will probably do without a sewing machine for the first one. Excited for the outcome, but not the process! haha

I've made/modified action figures. I would like to continue doing that.
9Hbqd4i.jpg

uzAdE4t.jpg

full album for both: Action figure

I used to draw. Don't do so much of that anymore. Don't really enjoy it.

I do scrapbook, still. Although it's less of real scrapbooking these days and more like "tape a bunch of photos onto a colored piece of paper and put it into a binder" because I just take too many photos to bother making the scrapbook page look cool anymore lol.

@Hana thanks =) I wish I have made more, but no ideas yet.

I was going to edit my original post, because I realized I didn't answer all your questions. But since you replied I'll just add another post.

I love looking at sculptures and costumery. Just all the work that goes into it is really amazing. Hand-made costumes (fursuits, clothes, cosplay, accessories, anything) look so good. I am so jealous, and wish I could make that stuff!

Sculptures, it's more like "wow how did they do that without screwing everything up." Can be as simple as those people who make cool candles at renn faires to handmade dolls to the stuff in the louvre. It's all really amazing to me. I also like Taxidermy when it's done well or creatively. xP

I'm a rather good at handicraft, I always enjoyed that class greatly as well when it was still offered.

My favourite craft would be origami, single paper crafts like the classic crane, to units that you have to assemble together in a ball called kusudama, or stacking up triangles together to get 3D opjects. I'm all in for that! They also make great random gifts.

Recently I also started up an attempt on making my own temari balls. Which are beatifully stitched balls. Then I realised I'm no good at stitching. However, the few good attempts were all gifted away to friends who liked them, which makes me happy. Unfortunately I have no pictures of these attempts.

I also enjoy drawing, but I'm not really good at it. I especially enjoy pastels! However, I'm too shy to share my work here.

//covers it up with origami

[spoili]
kusudama___kawasaki_roses_by_wawa12-d6g4yzt.jpg

d9a4803adc01112ffa6ae2578084aaa7-d6q7d31.jpg
[/spoili]

Drawing...tons of sketching and stuff.

Though usually I end up getting super lazy and art blocked so a lot of the times I can't be fucked drawing anything ;-;

I barely keep my deviantart account going...which sucks :c. Hopefully I'll get it running when I get the time.

Honestly, the best sketches I have done that's actually on dA are these

shirotani_tadaomi_by_candy10243-d8uf4wm.jpg

korra_by_candy10243-d68hn1p.jpg

And they are both fanart : |

I'm a rather good at handicraft, I always enjoyed that class greatly as well when it was still offered.

My favourite craft would be origami, single paper crafts like the classic crane, to units that you have to assemble together in a ball called kusudama, or stacking up triangles together to get 3D opjects. I'm all in for that! They also make great random gifts.

Recently I also started up an attempt on making my own temari balls. Which are beatifully stitched balls. Then I realised I'm no good at stitching. However, the few good attempts were all gifted away to friends who liked them, which makes me happy. Unfortunately I have no pictures of these attempts.

I also enjoy drawing, but I'm not really good at it. I especially enjoy pastels! However, I'm too shy to share my work here.

//covers it up with origami

[spoili]
kusudama___kawasaki_roses_by_wawa12-d6g4yzt.jpg

d9a4803adc01112ffa6ae2578084aaa7-d6q7d31.jpg
[/spoili]
Those look awesome! I adore origami, but aside from the crane and a paper airplane, I'm not too great at all. Still, I'm kind of inspired to try some more.

I'm pretty shabby at drawing, even though I enjoy it. I do like to crochet once in a while, haven't in four years though since I made a blanket for my niece.

I blame roleplaying forums! >:D

• Thank You
Reactions: Hana and Nemopedia
I can crochet, but I'm still learning. I also enjoy drawing and doodling, and stuff. I'm also learning the art of handlettering, and that's about it. Oh, I like watercolors, but I'm still learning to use them.

Acrylic paint (abstract) and knitting mostly :D

I used to draw a lot, both traditional and digital art, I even had a DeviantArt page and worked on the graphics and banners for a forum I used to be a part of, this was all when I was around 15-16... And then I stopped drawing to focus on University entrance exams, so now even though I still dabble with art once in a while, I'm nowhere as good as I used to be. It's a pity. :(

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Hana and Greenie
I draw shitty maps and color in adult coloring books. I love artsy fartsy stuff, but I suck at it.

I made perfume for a little while, and that actually turned out okay. But it was a hobby that was much too expensive for me to continue.

My fiance is taking up woodcraft. He's doing carving and burning, and wants to keep power tools to a minimum (so far, his only power tool is the wood burner, and he wants a small palm sander for big projects). He's pretty good so far, burned a Space Wolves emblem on a piece of pine, and carved a tiny little 1-inch shield marker. He really likes it a lot, and says it helps him calm down and express creativity. He's making his younger brother a little box in the shape of the Dragon Quest slime, but he says that won't be for a while because he still needs to practice.

In response to him taking up a craft, I'm gonna do polymer clay sculpting. I bought some cheapo stuff from Walmart, so we'll see how this works out. I also like painting miniatures for D&D, but again, I am mediocre because my hands shake a lot.

color in adult coloring books. I love artsy fartsy stuff, but I suck at it.
Same here lol. It's relaxing and keeps my hands busy when I'm listening to something.

I've always wanted to try colouring books, I think I'm going to buy the Dr. Seuss one that came out recently!

Reactions: Hana and Greenie
Status
Not open for further replies.