Art School Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Starnight

Original poster
Citizens of the Iwaku Art Section, I need to ask you some questions pertaining to good art colleges or schools. I'm looking to make a living from selling my art, whether it be digital or traditional. I would like a school that provides a wide range of topics for me to choose from. I will not be joining any time soon, but I will probably start saving money within the next two years, if not joining. I haven't moved yet, but I'm looking for a school that's available in the Portland, Oregon area. :)
Also, if you have any suggestions about things related to art schools, I'm happy to hear them.

I looked up a few.

George Fox University (graphic design & studio)
Lewis and Clark (studio, history) Don't really recommend this one. Looks sketchy
Linfield college (apparently liberal arts but it makes you download the catalog so I'm not sure)
Linn Benton (advanced graphic design & art)
Marylhurst (BA or BFA in art)
Mt Hood Community (art)
Oregon State University (has quite a few options for art)
Pacific University
Portland State (has quite a few diff options too)
Southern Oregon
Portland Art Institute

There are lots of colleges that have art but search mostly for liberal arts colleges. Other colleges will tend to only have a small selection.

For Art Institute, some people say it's a bad school and some people love it. It's widely known, has many colleges, and lots of options. Try it out and look it up.

Honestly I don't know of any particularly great schools in Oregon. Amherst and Champlain I've heard are pretty good, but def not in Oregon.

Good luck!

I'm not familiar with schools in that area, but I can offer some general advice. (I've got a BFA with an emphasis in graphic design)
  • Look at the program as a whole. What's the graduation rate, how many of the students there can get jobs afterwards in the field they chose.
  • Look at the other programs too. Most schools require you to take non art classes as well. Make sure they have something you'll like.
  • Visit the school - If you don't like the atmosphere you're in it can affect everything.
  • Make sure there's a place nearby that you can get any extra art supplies from. (I was lucky enough that the campus store carried everything I used)
  • If you can, see what current students have to say about the schools you like and the professors that teach there.
  • If you can, see if you can talk to some of the professors ( < This one helped me a lot when it came time to choose a school)

My recommendation isn't so much to do with which school to pick, so much as what you study.

Make sure you take courses in a skill that isn't to do with the arts. Management, accounting, advertising, something universally applicable. "Starving artist" isn't just a romantic figure, it's the norm; it takes a lot of talent and a LOT of time to get noticed, much less make a profit, and in the meantime you still have to pay rent, groceries, hydro, internet bill, any medical bills your butt might end up with (assuming you live outside of magical public-healthcare land), all kinds of stuff. Get skills you can apply for a paycheque and work in your off hours. I work with a starving artist; he edits an arts magazine, provides advertising and promotion for other local artists, and tries to sell his own paintings. He also works four minimum-wage jobs because he needs to eat and have a place to sleep; it's not an easy life. Please start preparing to pay the bills while you're young.

Money problems aren't just problems; no, not everyone ends up in the streets, but it is not fun or even pleasant to be broke with no certified skills. You can't afford to buy food when you're too tired or sick to cook, you can't afford to take your birthday off work because you need the hours. You can't afford to drive to work even when your knee is fucked up because gas is expensive, nobody takes you seriously because you have a minimum-wage low-skill-level job, but you don't have training for anything else, so you start to wonder if maybe they're right. You have to save scraps and learn how to get crafty because you can't afford to buy gifts for people on their birthdays, let alone nice Christmas presents. You get phone calls and letters from companies saying you owe them money that you simply Do Not Have. It's stressful, it makes you depressed, it literally makes you ill, please, please, take it from a fellow ambitious artist who is in this place presently. Take courses in stuff other than art - Sudy art, too but make sure you also give yourself skills that you can make steady money with.

Status
Not open for further replies.