Art of the Ninja... Well, at least the footwear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas McTavish

Absent, forgotten god
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Quite often
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Dark Fantasy, Fantasy, Zombie, slice-of-life survival, Post Apocalyptic, Cyberpunk, Sci-fi, High Fantasy, Modern, medieval
Does anyone own a pair of tabi? I keep trying to find out on the internet whether or not the rubber and cotton padding actually has an effect on the sound of your footsteps or not, but keep coming up with nothing. If you own them, do they help silence your footsteps? Are they comfortable to wear? Would you recommend them?

I think how you walk and what you walk on has a greater effect than the tabi. Rubber is usually added for foot support and sealing out water, whereas cotton insulates heat and makes the tabu more comfortable.

If you want silence, that's going to be more to do with the geta than the tabi. But again; much more relevant is how you walk and what you step on

I've only ever seen 'em from a friend who owned a pair. Not sure if he found it comfortable or if they worked. Never saw him wear 'em in fact. As for silent footwear, that clever @Minibit touched on what I would also recommend. A combination of knowing your terrain and footwear will do ya good. I've liked moccasins for moving over gravel and loose debris type stuff. They are a little loose and allow your feet to expand over things that would make noise, such as loose rocks and twigs. For harder surfaces, soft rubber would be good for both traction and not making a sound. Also knowing how to step don't hurt.

I know knowing how to walk silently is a large part of actually walking silently, I just wondered in if tabi offered any help, over other types of shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.