Are mermaids humans with fishtails or fish with human torsos?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Are mermaids humans with fish tails or fish with human torsos?

• Fish with human torsos

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MiharuAya

Memento Mori
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
Online Availability
My timezone is PST
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Futanari
Genres
Homosexual, Romance, Fantasy, Scifi, Magic, Vampire, Werewolf, Supernatural, Angels/Demons, Superhero, Zombies
I am team human with fishtails. But what do you think? This is a very important question that needs to be answered!

I think human with fishtails because they are self aware like humans are

Reactions: MiharuAya
My opinion says human with fishtails but I could also go really pedantic and go really philosophical about it on what makes a human and what defines a human and how are they separated from other animals and thus whether merfolk fall under the protection of human rights or not. But I hate those types of discussions with strangers so I won't.

I think they are humans with fishtails because I like to see the discussion about our evolution and I like the thought of some merfolk snubbing down on us like: "We aren't you, you guys are US, we were here first. How dare you classify us as yourselves when it should be the other way around?"

TL;DR: merfolk asking themselves if we are equal to them or not with our weird legs.

I'd say humans with fish tails because if you say it the other way around, then stories like The Little Mermaid just seem weird to me lol.

i...don't know. but like sorrel said, they're self aware like humans sooo i guess humans with fish tails?

I believe them to be mutated humans that have fishtail.

There are totally the reverse ones too, though. Those are the ones who are fish with human bodies. Top half fish, bottom half human. >:3

Depends on the story and how many human qualities they possess, I suppose. I'll say humans with fish tails, though, since that's how most of them are portrayed. If we're talking mermaids that can naturally switch between legs and fishtails, then human for sure.

Human with fish tails 100%
They act more like people than fish and many stories have them briefly gaining human legs to wander around on land

NEITHER, The left side of the body (including head) is fish and the right side is human!