Are Elvish, Klingon, Dothraki and Na'vi real languages?

Blind Hemingway

Ancient Iwaku Scum from 2006.
Original poster
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
NEVER
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Douche
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Surrealism, Surreal Horror (Think Tim Burton), Steampunk, Sci-Fi Fantasy, Spaghetti Westerns, Mercenaries, Dieselpunk, Cyberpunk, Historical fantasies
I've always wanted to design my own language for a setting, but I just don't have the attention span to dive that deep in to the construction details. O___O It's always really cool to see what the grammar rules for them are, though.

Conlanging is one of my... err... "hobbies." I haven't done anything with it for MONTHS now.

Of course, I never really got to the language part... I would usually only get a sound chart done and just end up totally uninspired for the actual vocabulary stuff. May have to do with the fact that vocabulary memorization was the hardest part of Spanish for me.

I think it depends your definition of 'real'

Elvish is a language with a fully constructed vocabulary, rules of grammar, a numerical system, a written form, and even dialects (Quenya, or 'high elven', and Sindarin, the more common form)

Does being constructed in one lifetime instead of over millennia make it not real?

Does not being an official language of any country make it not real?

I think real is an appropriate word to use; it's just an unofficial, more recently constructed language.

When LOTR was in theatres, my older sister took me to see every one, and we had elvish lessons. We can still carry on simple conversations in it

Vendui! (Hello!)

Vendui, mellonamin, revanima, n'uma ta? (Hello, my friend. Beautiful day, isn't it?)

Uma! Lle'na quel sinare? (Yes it is! Are you well today?)

Uma ta'amin, diola lle (I am , thank you)

I consider it no different than Spanish or old Latin, just more exclusive

Last edited:
Sindarin is actually probably among the most well-known of these languages. I have somewhere in my computer a verb conjugation guide, a pronunciation guide and a huge HUGE listing of Sindarin-to-English and English-to-Sindarin.

Reactions: Minibit
There is, at grey-company, a veritable textbook for learning elvish available to download