Appropriate Banners

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempest

Floofmami
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Right... I know one of the features that sets Iwaku apart from a great many sites is the fact that the redstar/bluestar system is present and it is an open atmosphere for it.

That said... The site offers the option to turn off nsfw content or you can openly avoid it... to an extent. Several times now, some banners have come up along the lines of:

2464658ec584044bb3.png

And these cannot be turned off at this time. You can remove all other star content except the banners, which are displayed prominently at the top-center of the screen.

... Isn't there a screening process before banners are accepted?... Or if there is, maybe not approve obvious BDSM images? Iunno.

Do you have no libertine marked ticked your profile?

If you go into your preferences, you can tick a box that says "zero libertine" (whose wording needs to be updated since we made the transition to Star instead of Libertine). If you are marked for zero libertine, you shouldn't see star package ads.

• Thank You
Reactions: Nav
I'm noticing these ads popping up as well (three of them), even with zero libertine marked 0_o

• Thank You
Reactions: Tempest
Do you have no libertine marked ticked your profile?

If you go into your preferences, you can tick a box that says "zero libertine" (whose wording needs to be updated since we made the transition to Star instead of Libertine). If you are marked for zero libertine, you shouldn't see star package ads.

Actually, no. That is incorrect. Please refer to the screen capture of what the "zero libertine" says for comfirmation of what I have already stated. It does not remove explicit content in the character gallery OR star ad banners.

The point also remains moot, that I should not have to disable an entire section of the site to not have content crop up on the front page. The option you're describing is for someone who does not want any of the content available... i am discussing that, we should be able to navigate at will to explicit content, without having to turn it on and off. Basically, if you're in a place you dont want nsfw content cropping up -you just dont access it- but because suggestive and sexual content is in the banners, you no longer have thay control. Because it can pop up on any page.

A system that already requires approval, should consjder content, especially when your "zero" nsfw filter doesnt filter all of it and is clearly stated under the setting that it does not.

Attachments

• IMG_1628.PNG
    IMG_1628.PNG
    182.9 KB · Views: 13
Actually, no. That is incorrect. Please refer to the screen capture of what the "zero libertine" says for comfirmation of what I have already stated. It does not remove explicit content in the character gallery OR star ad banners.

The point also remains moot, that I should not have to disable an entire section of the site to not have content crop up on the front page. The option you're describing is for someone who does not want any of the content available... i am discussing that, we should be able to navigate at will to explicit content, without having to turn it on and off. Basically, if you're in a place you dont want nsfw content cropping up -you just dont access it- but because suggestive and sexual content is in the banners, you no longer have thay control. Because it can pop up on any page.

A system that already requires approval, should consjder content, especially when your "zero" nsfw filter doesnt filter all of it and is clearly stated under the setting that it does not.
I cannot say that I see exactly how someone politely trying to suggest an option to you that should solve the problem that you're having would incite you to vehemently refute what I said rather than asking questions for clarification on the wording or any number of other possible responses but that is your choice.

It had not previously come to my attention that the wording of this setting was still as such and should be updated to reflect that the advertisement banners do in fact have the option to allow members who opt out of star content to avoid seeing banners that are marked as star content - like I said. Elle Joyner and I have already talked and I believe that hers is a special case.

Having NSFW content in the banner is something that we agree on! However, the content of this banner has already been discussed and is not NSFW content. There is no nudity, sexual activity, etc.

Worst comes to worst, are you unable to adblock individual ads? There once was an ad that made me uncomfortable to look at, so I blocked the image and it was no longer an issue.

• Useful
Reactions: Pahn
I'd like to offer my two cents here. I'll adblock it next time I see it, but as a bluestar, I really don't think it's appropriate that I can even see it in the first place, especially considering it's explicitly for redstars.

>_> That sounds like maybe there's something in the banner that glitched, then - cause I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen, at all?

I'd like to offer my two cents here. I'll adblock it next time I see it, but as a bluestar, I really don't think it's appropriate that I can even see it in the first place, especially considering it's explicitly for redstars.

o.o Wait, so, are you saying that you're seeing banner ads for Redstar RPs? Because, yeah, like @Elle Joyner said, that definitely shouldn't be happening...

But it's also a completely different issue than what the OP was talking about -- as he was saying he wanted to be able to turn off the banner ads for all Star RPs in addition to hiding all Star content on the forums.

Have you actually been seeing this particular banner ad in the ad rotation? I know that the banner was re-posted here, but that's just a matter of copy/pasting an image URL, so the fact that it's visible to all members here in this particular thread, doesn't mean that it would be showing up for everyone in the ad rotation... o.o

As a blue star, Imma pop in and say that yes, I have been seeing plenty of ads for red star roleplays, including the one the OP specifically mentioned.

As a blue star, Imma pop in and say that yes, I have been seeing plenty of ads for red star roleplays, including the one the OP specifically mentioned.

o.o Oh. Well then, yeah, that's definitely a glitch...

But it's also a completely different issue than what the OP was talking about
True, but I feel like it's solved in broadly the same manner.

I have been seeing it in rotation. Actually, my complaining about it on a certain Discord server was how I was linked to this thread to begin with. In terms of exactly what I've been seeing, there's at least one other banner that's more objectively SFW that have been floating around for redstar stuff. But either the random number gods hate me or it just fell out of circulation recently, because I've been trying to roll it and it's not working just yet.

Edit: Oh, and there's this one too.
[spoili]
2464658ec5840449ac.jpg
[/spoili]

Edit 2: Aaaand here's the one I was talking about.
[spoili]
246465907d0d633810.png
[/spoili]

Last edited by a moderator:
True, but I feel like it's solved in broadly the same manner.

I have been seeing it in rotation. Actually, my complaining about it on a certain Discord server was how I was linked to this thread to begin with. In terms of exactly what I've been seeing, there's at least one other banner that's more objectively SFW that have been floating around for redstar stuff. But either the random number gods hate me or it just fell out of circulation recently, because I've been trying to roll it and it's not working just yet.

Well, I guess you're right that, in general, the filters that are supposed to prevent certain ads from being seen by certain members seem to not be working... But, OP was talking about the "no libertine" option not hiding Star ads like it's supposed to, while the thing about Redstar members not being able to see Bluestar ads and vice-versa is something that's supposed to always be a thing, as opposed to just being an option that some people can opt in or out of.

So, yeah, I only meant to say that these seemed to be two separate glitches affecting two separate features ("no libertine" vs Star ads divided by age group), but, I guess it's possible that both of these are just two symptoms of one underlying cause...

Okay, I'm going to go look into those particular banners and make sure the settings are correct, but if the settings are correct it would actually be a glitch in the system and would have to be looked at by someone with more expertise than I.

• Thank You
Reactions: Joan
Honestly, I've never seen a bluestar ad. Ever. Maybe my magic aura of asexuality is rubbing off on probability.

Turtle, should I flag them up with you if I spot any more "off" banners like this, or is there some kind of system to mark them for checking?

Honestly, I've never seen a bluestar ad. Ever. Maybe my magic aura of asexuality is rubbing off on probability.

Turtle, should I flag them up with you if I spot any more "off" banners like this, or is there some kind of system to mark them for checking?

Having been made aware of a possible glitch in the system, I know I'm definitely going to say something if I start seeing any Bluestar ads. Probably couldn't hurt to make note of any other ads that seem to be showing up for the wrong group of people.

Having been made aware of a possible glitch in the system, I know I'm definitely going to say something if I start seeing any Bluestar ads. Probably couldn't hurt to make note of any other ads that seem to be showing up for the wrong group of people.
There actually aren't any bluestar ads currently.

All three of the banners mentioned in this thread come from the same banner package, it all leads to the same thread. That being said, I cannot find a reason why it's being shown to people with zero-libertine marked, nor can I find a reason bluestars are able to see that. I'll pass this on to the admins...

Okay, yeah, something is not working properly. This is a possible bug, one which will require a little time looking into. As Turtle mentioned, all of the banners you guys have brought up are from the same banner package, so please let me know if you see any other banners. It could make a big difference to know if it's a glitch with the system or just that one banner package.

I went and tweaked some specific ad settings on that package, so also let me know if you see these banners again. You absolutely shouldn't. >___>

• Thank You
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Kitti and Random
Just wanted to note since the tweaking, I have not seen any of those banners... So I think 'success'?

• Useful
Reactions: Astaroth
Status
Not open for further replies.