DISCUSSION GAMEMASTER ROLEPLAY Any helpful tips on creating/managing a roleplay?

VoLimiNaL

The Breather of Oxygen
Original poster
Invitation Status
Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
Multiple posts per week
Online Availability
Weekends mostly
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
Male, Female
This is my second time using this website (this is basically my second account too), I decided to get back to it because my friends wanted to play D&D but were too busy to read up on all the rules and stuff. I thought maybe I could start a roleplay myself for me and my friends to have fun in, except my friends don't really have any experience with roleplaying. I am currently making a roleplay for us, it's in a fantasy setting and the plot is quite generic, doesn't matter as long as we have fun. I set things up the way I remember other roleplays that I was in, but I'm still not too confident about being a gamemaster. Do you guys have any helpful tips?

Solar Soarfell

Professional Degenerate~
Invitation Status
Looking for partners
Posting Speed
Multiple posts per day, 1-3 posts per day, Multiple posts per week, Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Pretty much all the time
Writing Levels
Give-No-Fucks, Beginner, Elementary, Adaptable
Female, Primarily Prefer Male, No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy, Sci-fi, Magical and romance but I can do anything else
Hey man, this is essentially my first time on here XD but I do know roleplay. If you wanna make good elements for the rp the most important thing to do is either use existing races from other fantasy worlds, or create your own. I suggest a mix of both in my preference XD. Creating the classes they should suit either your friends or yourself, so that they get to have fun in the idea of their character. Even if they don't have roleplay experience they'd have tons of fun acting as these races with its unique attributes. Just that would make the rp tons more fun

The Mood is Write

Mom-de-Plume
SITE SUPPORT
DONATING MEMBER
Invitation Status
Looking for partners
Posting Speed
Multiple posts per day, 1-3 posts per day, One post per day, Multiple posts per week, 1-3 posts per week, One post per week
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Prestige
Male, Female, Primarily Prefer Female, No Preferences
Genres
I'm open to a wide range of genres. Obscenely wide. It's harder for me to list all I do like than all I don't like. My absolute favorite is mixed and multiverse, but I'm not limited to those.

• Mixed Genre
• Multiverse
• High Fantasy
• Hard Fantasy
• Low Fantasy
• OP Fantasy
• Science Fantasy
• Modern Fantasy
• Soft Scifi
• Science Fantasy
• Low Scifi
• OP Science Fantasy
• Modern Realistic (Strict)
• Modern Realistic (Loose)
• Urban Fantasy
• Alternate History (Fantasy Preference)
• Post-Apocalyptic Mixed
• Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy
• Post-Apocalyptic Scifi
• Post-Apocalyptic Modern
• Dystopia
• Displacement
• Military
• Dying Earth
• Supernatural
• Drama
• Mystery
• Horror
• Religious
• LBGT
• Crime/Detective
• Parody
• Comedy
• Tragedy
• Romance (Must Include Others)
• Erotic (Must Include Others)
My best advice is to keep open communication between you and your players, and to be open to finding solutions with your players when things like drama or time constraints get in the way.

I've discovered that the best way for me to keep a group RP alive is to keep the hype up and to give kind and respectful reminders. I also make sure to remind my players that if they have to leave, I'll find a way to make sure they're able to bring their character back in when they're ready—this gives them more freedom and less guilt.

Running a group RP can be hard, but just try your best to tell a story with your players, and it should go well!

Also, don't be afraid to use a random generator when you have a hard time. Also, definitely keep a notepad of stuff you want to remember.