America Builds a 'Death Star'?

L

luvablelilmonster

Original poster
It is a period of civil war. Rebel pranksters, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the forces of Taking White House Petitions Too Seriously. Specifically: They have secured the 25,000 signatures necessary to get a formal response from the White House to their call for America to build a DEATH STAR.
"Those who sign here petition the United States government to secure funding and resources, and begin construction on a Death Star by 2016," the petition reads.

"By focusing our defense resources into a space-superiority platform and weapon system such as a Death Star, the government can spur job creation in the fields of construction, engineering, space exploration, and more, and strengthen our national defense."
Some estimates put the cost of doing so at around $852 quadrillion, roughly 13,000 times the gross domestic product of the entire Earth—even when factoring in the savings of not putting any guardrails around any of the facility's seemingly endless number of bridges, spans, shafts and pits. And history cautions against being too proud of the technological terror thus constructed, because the ability to destroy a planet, or even a whole system, is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Crossing the 25,000-signature threshold—right before the Dec. 14 deadline—doesn't actually guarantee a response. The White House has made clear that it will pick and choose which petitions will get an answer. We may have to rely on the Bothans.

So, what my question is... what would you say if you were in Obama's position reading this? Would you say "Oh hell yeah, Death Star, let's do this!!" or would you be more likely to say something to the tune of "Uhm... alright, who's the retard that brought this to me?"

Being that Obama is a comic book nerd, chances are there WILL be a response. I think it will be tongue in cheek, but inevitably say no.

If Obama does respond to this, it will just be part of a continuing trend, since Russia and Australia's prime ministers have already publicly addressed secret alien files and the Mayan apocalypse, respectively.

Good to know the world doesn't have any serious ​problems that need addressing.

Yep our Prime Minister actually said on TV that the mayan apocalypse was real. She was paid to do it on an ad for a radio station and it was supposed to be a joke, but...still. XD

I don't think I could sign off on this motion based on the fact that it would likely destabilize the power dynamic of the entire region (that region being the entire fucking galaxy).

All it takes is one insane person to press one button and human life is destroyed...yaaaah no thanks.

Yeah... On the whole, I would have several reactions: laugh, cry, cringe, then reply. My first automatic thought was, "Are you @#$%ing kidding me?" The cost alone is hysterical. That's basically $284 quadrillion per year. If anyone is insane enough to even remotely think that is possible...

Another issue that makes me laugh is overall technology and construction within the space environment. Watching NASA videos on repairing and adding components on the space station, etc is rather eye opening in this respect. It is a very slow process. They can only be outside for a short period of time before they are both mentally and physically exhausted and then have to return. The danger aspect alone would be horrendous. Even if there was a mass recruiting to get workers up there, the logistics alone would make any engineer kill himself. Then setting up the training programs... Space weather also plays a huge factor on if work can be done or not.

Yeah, I'm probably taking this all too seriously, but oh well. Haha!