Am I just stuck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AirQuest

Original poster
Hmm I'm unsure of how to put this into words. It's a big, issue with someone close to me. I feel awkward stating my exact relation, but they are family.

Six years ago she found a guy, and they got together. They dated for four years, and got married two years ago. They have two kids, a five-year-old, and an infant at 9 months.

Then he started on cheating on her, and when caught, he owned up to it, realized he had done wrong, and while not forgotten, he was forgiven.

Only he kept cheating, and now he's pretty much ditched her to go hook up with some other lady, that he got pregnant. This other woman is extremely childish, she drove 30 miles to my "family members" house just to throw eggs at her car. This is a grown up we're talking about it.

He also keeps saying he doesn't really care about this other woman either, so what he really wants is a life of no responsibility.

When he found out that he'd have to pay child support, he quit his job to avoid doing it, but I've heard his boss is still paying him under the table.

He's pretty much making everything out to be her fault, apparently she's just such a huge, meanie to him that he had no choice but to cheat on her, and leave his two young, kids behind.

I don't know how she was to him. For all I know she could have been mean to him...I doubt it. She's a pretty nice person. She can get irritable when she wants things done, and people are being lazy, but overall she's a very nice, sociable, fun loving person.

For the life of me to go from a caring father, who enjoys spending time with his family, and he even did volunteer work, to help others. To go from that to "I don't want to have any responsibilities" is kind of a huge, shift in character.

I guess what bothers me the most is how helpless I feel. I want to help my family, because I love her, but I feel like there's nothing I can do.

Is there?

:/ This is a sucky situation and all, but I'm really not sure there is much you can do. The best thing I can advise for your family member -- given the limited info I have -- is to divorce the guy and move on to something better, because he sounds pretty irredeemable, imo. >.>" But, that's ultimately her decision, not mine, not yours.

It sounds to me like all you can really do is just offer some emotional support when she needs it. :/ And try not to stress yourself out about it so much. I know it sucks to see people you care about go through some awful stuff, but if it's not a problem that you can fix, then, really all you can do is offer some support -- and when you're not doing that, just go on with your own life. I don't think it's healthy to get too wrapped up in other people's problems, especially when you can't change the situation. You're just putting more stress on yourself that you really don't need, you know?

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
:/ This is a sucky situation and all, but I'm really not sure there is much you can do. The best thing I can advise for your family member -- given the limited info I have -- is to divorce the guy and move on to something better, because he sounds pretty irredeemable, imo. >.>" But, that's ultimately her decision, not mine, not yours.

It sounds to me like all you can really do is just offer some emotional support when she needs it. :/ And try not to stress yourself out about it so much. I know it sucks to see people you care about go through some awful stuff, but if it's not a problem that you can fix, then, really all you can do is offer some support -- and when you're not doing that, just go on with your own life. I don't think it's healthy to get too wrapped up in other people's problems, especially when you can't change the situation. You're just putting more stress on yourself that you really don't need, you know?
Yeah, I just wish I could do more. I have offered to babysit if she needs time to clear her head.

Yeah, I just wish I could do more. I have offered to babysit if she needs time to clear her head.
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, too.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.