Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Advanced
  3. Adaptable
Genres
Fantasy, Romance, Medieval, Action, Magic, Sci-fi

A F F I N I T Y
The Story Begins

[URL='https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/affinity-interest.162628/']Interest Check 1 2[/URL] | Lore | Sign-ups | OOC | IC

The year is 1286. The country of Netima is breaking. The Republic is on the cusp of fracturing by the hands of the Insurgency, those who have deserted from the militant forces decades ago. Centuries of structure and order remain steadfast, a stone wall in the face of thousand roguish needles. Slowly, steadily, the remnants of the Republic Order are beginning to fall away. Would the Insurgency's long war with the Republic finally come to a bitter end? The two sides clashed day in and day out across the country, with no ceasefire in clear sight.

They would either conquer or fall.

Legend states that there are five true sources of power, one for each Alchemic Affinity. When all five sources come together, stories from older times regale of untold power and destruction. They remain a bitter point of contention between the two opposing sides. The Republic holds one source at Oxholm Academy, the Air Affinity. Zachariah Beckett, leader of the Insurgency, is said to have another, but will not reveal which of the remaining four he holds. Rumors are spreading that a third has been located, it's only a matter of time before someone gets their hands on it.

Whoever holds the Sources holds the future of Netima.

In the trading hub of Mirefield, Matthias Clarke and Kingsley Lee have a job for you, if you're up to the task. Travel the skies as a traitor to the Republic, free as a bird as one the Insurgency crew of the Nerissa, as they hunt down the last three Sources for the Insurgency.

Last edited:

Clarke - First in Command

Date | 6th month, 20th day, 1286
Location | Lower District Tavern - Mirefield, Netima
Mood | Exhausted

In the bustling city of Mirefield, Insurgency and Republic walked side by side on the only ground declared neutral in the entirety of Netima. Considered the largest trading port in the state, there wasn't an item that couldn't be procured or bartered for. Be it on the main street markets, busy and loud with the constant stream of local traffic, or the back alley black markets where discretion was the only name spoken. If a person needed supplies or able bodies, Mirefield was the only place to be.

At present, able bodies were exactly what Major Matthias Clarke was in search of.

Matthias slumped forward onto the bar's table with his head in his hands, raking his fingers through his greasy black hair. He was beyond exhausted. For three days they had scoped the entirety of Mirefield in the hopes that someone would be just as irrational to chase after a legend as Matthias was. Rumors, stories, and whispers were all that the Nerissa relied on to guide her to the crew's next destination. This was, of course, a prospect that didn't sit well with many of the past Privates and Airmen of the Insurgency's infamous Nerissa. Now, he was out a crew for the third time in the past four years. The pay was enough to keep most, but the disappointment and drag of the chase was too dull in the end for the average man.

All that was left was Matthias Clarke and his right hand man, Kingsley Lee. Well, they did have one more, Esther McCarthy, but even Matthias wondered if she would abandon them at the prospect of a more profitable venture. Kingsley and Esther were always at each other's wits ends around one another. It was a simple matter of time.

"Matti, did you hear what I just said?" Kingsley nudged Matthias with his elbow, a look of concern on his face. "About my contacts?"

"Hm?" Matthias dragged a tattooed hand across his weary face. "Ah, no."

"When was the last time you slept?" Kingsley looked at him with an air of suspicion.

Matthias looked down at his clothes and grinned sheepishly. His disheveled appearance and bruised eyes gave him away at a glance. He was still wearing the same damn thing he was when they had arrived several days prior. A worn brown leather jacket clung to his brawny frame, a beautifully embroidered 'I' was stitched onto his breast pocket with golden thread. Beneath that, a ragged gray sweater was layered atop a faded green button up shirt which was tucked into one side of his black pants, but not the other.

"Two days ago I think." Matthias scratched his head and avoided the glare he knew Kingsley would give him. "Look, Kingsley, we're a notoriously fruitless vessel. We don't exactly have the same attraction as an attack squad or artifact retrieval for that matter. I can't sleep knowing we're so close, and still so far without an actual crew. It's impossible! We have our scrapes with the Republic, but we need a crew by the auction tomorrow night. We aren't leaving Mirefield without the-" Matthias paused, his voice had grown too loud and the cacophony of the bar dimmed, many ears turned his way out of curiosity..

He sighed and leaned back in his chair and almost immediately the chatter began anew. The outburst was little more than a daily disruption to the other patrons. Matthias knew he should've kept his voice down, talking about something as valuable as the information he'd been given, but he was starting to feel restless as the hour drew nearer to the auction.

"Kingsley, meet with your contacts again and see if we have any takers. I'm heading back to the airship to see if I can find Esther, maybe I'll drag a new Airman with me if I'm lucky."

"You need sleep," Lee told him, a stubborn set to his jaw, but he didn't press. "I extended an invitation to an old friend. Heard some chatter from a couple of my contacts, too. I'll see what I can find."

Matthias waved his hand at Kingsley without saying much of anything, it was the kindest way he could tell him to not worry about him. He knew Kingsley was only looking out for him, but, that restless feeling would not subside.

"I'll see you later, Lee. Yeah?" Matthias forced himself up and out of his seat, throwing a handful of paper Credits onto his table to cover his current tab. He rubbed his eyes before sauntering out of the bar and back to the Nerissa.

Last edited:
LEE - THE FIRST OFFICER
Mood: Low ❖ Location: Skydock overlook ❖ Tagged: @Lillian Gray @mingummy @Bjorn @DustBunny @espoir @BlueFlameNikku @Kimberlyn @Joan @Mundane Monster
JR5I5JP.jpg
L4brFFa.jpg
l6mHj5k.jpg
Lee watched the Major walk out with a frown twisting his lips, disquieted by his friend's behavior these last few days. He understood it. Understood the overworking, understood the lack of sleep, understood the reasons behind it all like few did. This was the closest they'd come in all their years of searching and it was doubtful they would have another chance like this in a lifetime or three. If they didn't get it...Lee got his mind off the subject before he got too deep into considering how badly that would affect Matti. Stakes aside, Matti was running himself ragged. Lee decided that was going to change. After they gathered some people and scraped together a crew, the illustrious Major was going to lay down and get some rest, even if Lee had to lock the stubborn bastard in his quarters to ensure it. That decided, Lee downed the remainder of his drink with a hiss and added a few paper credits to the pile Matti had slapped down on the table. Patrons of taverns such as this didn't like to tip well, after all, and Lee liked to support the local economy. Felt nice to be be generous to strangers. Felt nice to pretend like he could be as generous as he used to be, back when he had spending credits and it wasn't all channeled into ingots of material for his projects or ammo for the crew of the Nerissa or that damn cannon he'd been working on for years now.

Lee pushed away the thoughts of life before, rubbing his temples with one hand while he walked out into the morning sunlight. It seemed like today was an off day. He hadn't thought much about what it was like before he joined the Republic military in...in a long time. It was too easy to forget the years he'd spent at Oxford. It was too easy to forget the time he'd spent with his mother. His military history, though, he was constantly reminded of. Between McCarthy and her looks and news of his father or his brother's latest deeds, there was slim chance he'd forget he was a defector anytime soon.

The sight of Mirefield's vast system of skydocks was enough to distract Lee from this new and equally depressive trail of thought. He came to a halt on the overlook, out of the way of walking traffic headed into or out of the airshipyards, and took a few moments to just stare. The ground beneath him, the ground for thousands of feet before him, was laid out in a complicated pattern with ground docks for airships of any size and any affiliation, a couple landing or leaving every few minutes. These docks were mostly for repairs, however, a safe place to ground an airship for work on its Aer turbines. The real docks were in the sky. Tall structures that looked so delicate from the ground connected to dozens more airships in the sky above him, the massive elevators inside them transporting cargo and supplies up and safely carrying the crews down. Positioning of every elevator and every airship was careful, an elegant dance to ensure the airships could leave without catastrophe and new airships could dock safely. For someone who loved airships as much as Lee did, it was an incredible scene to behold. Even ten years after the first time he'd viewed it.

Tearing his eyes away after a few moments, Lee turned to eye the walking traffic that moved up or down the ramps into the skydocks below or milled about the shops dotting the overlook. Barring the taverns, this was easily the best place to find new blood. People who'd just gotten booted off their old ship, green recruits looking to find a place on their first proper airship, they all came here. It was a landmark, and it was the first impression most new arrivals got of Mirefield. It was also where Lee had told his contacts to direct anyone they scrounged up. He'd asked Wylan to meet him here, as well, provided Wylan was still interested in joining the crew. Leaning up against the railing that protected him from falling off the overlook and into the mess of people and cargo below, Lee settled in to wait. Hopefully Wylan was willing, it'd be nice to have a familiar face aboard that wasn't McCarthy or Matti. Hopefully his contacts had managed to point some people in his direction.

Honestly, Lee stood out enough to draw attention all on his own. He was tall with the broad-shouldered build associated with the Earth affinity, wore a leather duster with the infamous Insurgency "I" stitched on it in gold, and looked scarily like one Hagan Leigh who was a hero to the Republic and a ruthless murderer to the Insurgency.

ESTHER MCCARTHY

Interaction: Ollie (NPC)
Mention: Kingsley @Spectre of the Fade, Matti @Lillian Gray

Grease splattered onto a round pair of focal lenses as a loud rusty squeak rang in her ears. She immediately dove for the oil can nearby and squirted some oil onto the large screw, then used the wrench to tighten it. Her arm went to her forehead and wiped away the sweat forming in the creases of her forehead and eyebrows. She tossed the wrench away in the toolbox next to her then made her way over to the coal on the other side of the boiler room and shoveled a few huge masses into the boiler located in the middle of the large room.

She closed her tool box and placed it in the small workshop outside of the boiler room and ripped off her goggles. The door to the boiler room was pushed close and locked in place. Esther groaned and took her gloves off. While those bastards were out recruiting, she had to stay behind and make sure everything on the ship was in proper working order. Now that she was done, she had half a mind to go dirty the sofa in the living room but decided to get some fresh air while Kingsley and Matti were still scavenging for new recruits.

Esther placed her boot on the water fountain ledge and tightened the straps for the second time in a row. She'd worn out her last pair and it would take a while to get used to the change. A young boy and girl played tag in the main square and another made a wish with his mother at the water fountain she stood next to. Esther pushed a stray hair back, sniffed and closed her eyes. The air tickled her face and she sneezed and wiped away the floating dust particles from her eye. She undid her hair and shook it out before going for a walk.

Crunch.

"Here."

She tossed down a single paper credit with a five labeled on the corners. "Keep the change. I'm feeling unusually generous today." Esther walked off with the gala apple in hand and took another bite before the lady at the stand could protest. She skipped up to another stand and touched a navy blue material with thin pink lines spread unevenly. Her hands stroked the rough fabric. "Is this supposed to be a carpet or a blanket?" The woman at the counter leaned forward, wrinkles forming at the edges of her eyes. "A blanket, ma'am."

Esther felt another blanket and raised a brow at the woman's response.

"Really? Feels like a carpet. What is it made out of?"

"Wool, ma'am."

"Ah, that explains the itchiness."

Esther left the stand promptly and made her way to the blinking sign a few blocks down: Ollie's Tinkering Antiques. That needed new bulbs. It sounded like flies were getting caught in the circuit. She strode into the shop and glanced around, eager for something to catch her eye. "Oh, would you look at that." A bronze pressure gauge with broken glass caught her eye. She rubbed her fingers on the glass and rubbed it on her dirty shirt. A closer look told her the numbers were in latin and the pipe that used to be connected to it was gone.

"Hey, where'd this come from?"

She glanced at the person nearby and gestured towards the water pressure gauge; he seemed to be the owner of the store with his top hat and suspenders.

"Oh, that young lady. That came from an airship."

"What model?''

"Oh, we were never sure. It's a pretty thing to behold, isn't it?" He tapped one of the focal lenses on his monocle to get a closer look at the broken gauge. "How much?" The owner shrugged, the corners of his lips curling in amusement. He waved her interest off, finding it absurd that a woman would be interested in such a piece of garbage. It was cracked around the edges, most of the paint had chipped off. "Oh, it's not much. At most a copper credit or two. The thing's broken at best." Esther rolled her eyes. Couldn't the man who owned the shop see the true value of this antique? She expected better service.

"Give it to me." She took another bite of her apple and flipped him a copper coin. He struggled to find it in the air and managed to catch the worn out credit in the palm of his left hand. "I like it." She eyed Ollie with curiosity and judgement as he took out a small handkerchief, spit on it, then wiped down the copper coin.

"Pleasure doing business with you Miss ...?"

"Esther. You?"

She tossed her apple away in the trash near the door and grabbed the gauge.

"Ollie's the name. Hope to see you again."

"Thanks."

She left the shop and rolled her neck, legs carrying her to the outlook where she expected Kingsley and Matti to be recruiting at the moment.

If not, she'd walked all the way out there for nothing.

upload_2017-7-15_22-14-9.jpeg
Roger Roads
Location: [Mirefield] The Foggy Goggles Inn ----> Sky dock Overlook
Interaction: NPCs | Kingsley Lee @Spectre of the Fade
Mention: N/A

Plenty of laughter, drinking and card playing was going on where Roger was. The Foggy Goggles Inn wasn't a pit nor was it classy, it was just right at home for most common folk most would say. People drank with friends, girls and men alike were flirting and well Roger as seated at a table with a hand full of cards along with several other gentlemen. With a wise cracked smile Roger threw his cards down. "Looks like a win again guys." With a load of annoyed moans from the others players Roger starts shuffling his winnings to his side of the table as the man giggles to himself. He'd start receiving some threats from the other card players saying that he had to be cheating and such but he'd ignore them as he was trying to figure out the time. "Hey fellas, any of you got the time?" He'd ask casually as he seemed obliviously to some of them pulling out knives and such. "Welp, guess its..." He stops mid sentence as he flips the table over towards the angered card players before booking it towards the front entrance. "...time for me to buzz off!"

He'd run out to the front of the building and run to his sky bike that he'd parked just outside. It seemed like a rusted piece of junk at this point as Roger wasn't the best at maintaining it but the damn thing could still fly and that's all that mattered to Roads. With a joyful smile he donned his gas mask and helmet and leaped onto the sky bike. With a kick to the two peddles beneath him the tiny sol sails on either side flapped open as it lifted off the ground. Some of his assailants were now storming out of the Inn and sprinting towards him but with a quick turn and the turn of a wrist the bike kicked up and sprayed the attackers with dust as Roger cheered and sped off down and then quickly above the road so as to not hit anyone who was walking on it.

The guy who'd told Roger about the job said to look for a certain man around the Sky Dock Overlook area. The description seemed like the guy would stick out among a crowd for sure but the description made the guy sound like he was some sort of badass. He'd figured the contact was just sizing the guy up a little too much though. As the man fly through the Sky Dock area on his bike he couldn't help but admire the beauty that was all of the awesome sky ships coming and going. His attention was grabbed so much so that he had to shake himself out of it to get back on track. Looking up, down and around he tried to kind this...Kingsley Lee. After a short while he spied a man matching the description he was given leaning against a guardrail a little ways over. With a low hum Roger Roads flew his bike over to where the man was, leaving the vehicle on hover and still floating over the side where there wasn't any solid ground for quite a ways down. He removed his mask and helmet, tucking them under his arm like a football as he smiling at the man. "Excuse me, are you a...Kingsley Lee by any chance?"

BEE

"Can you fix basic appliances?"

"No, but--

"Do you have any experiences with children?"

"Well at one point I was a child so--

"So no?"

"No..."

"Then I don't need your 'help'."

And that was the second door slammed in her face in the past two hours. Bee had never thought that it would be this hard to find a job. Apparently people really care about credentials and work history, two of which she had none of. At this point she would have to lie...Or head to the sky ports like that guy had suggested to her. He'd said that there was a guy named Kinglsey looking for members for a crew but...She didn't know anything about airships or...crewing. She had so many rejections in the past week that she was afraid that if she got rejected there she would suffer a mental breakdown and do something she'd regret.

But lying to get a job...Bee shuddered at the thought of getting caught in a lie she forgot she told. It was better to apply for a job while bearing her soul then apply under a persona and have to live with it for the rest of her life. After all, when she returned to her father she wanted him to be able to recognize her and not think she was the same cold blooded person she'd been when she'd left. Even if he didn't know the whole story of why she'd appeared so cold--No. Nuh-uhn not going to think about that crap fest.

Shaking her head and ruffling her hair, Bee took a moment to gaze into Mirefield's wishing fountain. She was a little dirty and she probably didn't smell too great. Her hair looked crazier than usual and there was some leaves stuck in it. "At least my clothes aren't ripped!" She chirped to herself then cringed when she noticed the not so subtle tear on her right sleeve. "Well...At least I still have a sleeve." She amended. Glancing around quickly, she dunked her head in the water, earning her an appalled look from a woman and a look of glee from the woman's son. Bee shot them what she hoped was an innocent grin as she furiously wiped the dirt from her face and rung her hair to dry it. In the end she looked like a half drowned rat, but at least she was now a clean half drowned rat and not a dirty one.

"Chin up, Bee!" She said to herself. "You're gonna find this Kingsley guy and show him that you're invaluable!" And with that, Bee Mayer strode towards the Sky Dock overlook with a confident smile on her face and a rapidly thumping heart. The recruiter that she'd met had told her to look for a tall man with a muscular frame and scars on his hands. As her gaze scoured the overlook, Bee just now realized that the man she was looking for sounding a lot like the miners in her old town, and that provided her with some comfort. Her eyes swept the area until they landed on two men, one sort of fitting the description (she wasn't close enough to really make out if his hands were scarred or not) and another not fitting the description. Her heart leaped into her throat as she deduced that the second man must have been applying for a job too and that she needed to get her butt over there before all the spots were taken up. Somehow she hadn't thought that other people would have been in the running as well and she began to get nervous as she approached them. The second guy was much more suitable looking than her and judging by the helmet under his arm, he probably better fit the requirements.

"Oh well...No sense in turning back now. I might as well try to apply." She mumbled to herself as she sidled up next to the two men, the smile on her face trembling. "I'm here to join...Your crew? Are you Kingsley? Um--Mr. Kingsley? Sir? Capt..ain?" She posed unsure of what she should address him by. After a quick pause she added, "I'm Bee Mayer--Well, Belinda actually." Then she winced and glanced at the second guy. "Sorry to interrupt."

LEE - THE FIRST OFFICER
Mood: Improving ❖ Location: Skydock overlook ❖ Tagged: @BlueFlameNikku @Mundane Monster
JR5I5JP.jpg
L4brFFa.jpg
l6mHj5k.jpg
Bikes were quiet little machines. Not completely silent, though. They were powered and kept afloat by Sol sails and fire runes, for the most part, and those were silent but there was still an engine to take all that power and convert it into actual motion. It was usually a small engine, nothing like a proper noisy Aer turbine, and barely produced any noise beyond a faint hum...especially when the bike was just hovering. The hum was too quiet to hear over the noise of the crowds and activity of the docks. At least, that's the excuse Kingsley would give if asked why the sudden question started him so very much.

He'd been leaning against the guardrail, back to the metal and his palms resting on the top of it, elbows crooked out to accommodate.

"Excuse me, are you a...Kingsley Lee by any chance?" came the polite question from behind him, and Lee about jumped out of his skin. He whipped around fast, hand trailing dangerously close to the pistol holstered at his belt - his shotgun was too large and suspicious for walking around town - then moving away once he processed the bike hovering before him and the man riding it. Good piloting, hovering so close to a rail while surrounded by people. The guy asked for him by name, so there were only a couple possibilities why he was here. Given the smile and the helmet under his arm, Lee doubted the guy was a bounty hunter of some sort.

"Um, not if you're looking to collect his bounty," Lee responded, tone light because he was joking, though his serious expression and raised eyebrows might indicate otherwise. What was his bounty at, these days? Seven hundred thousand credits? Seven hundred fifty, perhaps? Huh. Worth checking up on. Later, though. "If you're looking for work, though, that is my name. I'm with..." He trailed off, distracted by approaching movement off to the side, and he turned to regard a young lady with an awkward smile and a full head of curls. She couldn't be more than twenty, he'd guess. Nervous, probably, given the uncertainty in her speech. He was uncomfortably reminded of himself at her age, but the reminder still made him a touch fond of the girl already.

"Lee suits me fine," he informed her, expression softening a bit. He turned back to the bike pilot, then looked back at the girl - Belinda Mayer, she'd said - and shifted so both his hands rested on his hips. Well, since both of them were here... "I'm going to assume both of you are interested in work? Luck would have it that I've got plenty." Speech time. He certainly wasn't going to mention the fact most of the previous crew had dipped after yet another dead end in Matti's pursuit of the Sources, however. Lee was enough of a deterrent on his own. Certainly didn't need to add that, too. "Name is Kingsley Lee, but both of you know that already. I'm a Captain with the Insurgency and first officer of the vessel Nerissa. Striker class, with twelve beds and a modified gun. Bit heavier than the average Striker, but she's agile enough and her beds are comfortable. Now, we've got a bit of a labor problem, so I'm willing to hire the both of you right now, but there's one thing I'll make clear. I've been with the Insurgency for more than ten years. Before that, I was Republic Air Navy. If you're going to make that an issue, you'd best leave now." The speech was ended with pointed looks directed at both the pilot and the girl, his eyebrows raised while he looked over their expressions.

Interactions: N/A
Mentions: Kingsley @Spectre of the Fade and Matthias @Lillian Gray

tumblr_ossm6tVLSf1uox243o1_250.jpg

W Y L A N ◡ J O S T E N

Sweet were the sounds of nature, birds gathering and singing their songs upon makeshift perches. A large fountain spewing water in intricate patterns was the rendezvous point for people and animals alike. Wylan stood to the side of it as he scoped the purlieu of Skyport Overlook.

Here he was. The epicenter of Netima and possibly one of the most inimitable endeavors of his life. Having taken on an almost nomadic lifestyle after transferring from one ship to another at a constant rate, Wylan was wary about joining yet another crew. Even with a friend on board. The only reason he was considering was due to the invitation Kingsley had extended. It was nigh impossible for him to reject an offer from a friend. And to be fair it was quite the seductive offer.

Wylan knows he needs stability, even if it's a tad precarious. A crew and ship would give him that. He would be able to exercise his considerable intelligence and skill along with his suffering social dexterity. He'd need to know more about their mission of course, he may have a penchant for spontaneity but this was a decision he would need to make with much deliberation.

It was time to move now. He could sit here and think all day or actually take steps towards change. With a deep breath Wylan strode forward, the sudden movement stirring the assembled birds into a commotion. They erupted outwards - flying like streamers from Wylan's sides - and took off into the air.

The thump and whoosh of airships landing ahead stole Wylan's attention. In the distance he could see Kingsley with two others but neither looked to be Matthias. A little disappointed because he'd been looking forward to meeting the man he'd heard so much about, he faltered even as he approached the trio. He hung back but caught Kingsley's eye and nodded in greeting.

Izabella Levitskaya
Location: Two blocks away from Skyport Overlook | Interactions: Langdon Hayle (NPC), Kingsley Lee @Spectre of the Fade | Mentions: Roger Road @BlueFlameNikku, Bee Mayer @Mundane Monster

・❅・

Bad things always come in threes.

That was obvious to Izabella, seeing as immediately after she was kicked off of the Polaris by a very irritated Captain Adrien Wonderall, someone stole all of her money. Don't see a third thing? Just wait, it'll come soon enough.

Which was just wonderful.

"This is disgusting." Izabella said through a mouthful, half to herself, looking at the cherry scone in her hand. It tasted like cardboard, which was completely cliche, but it was true.

She tossed the pastry on the ground, dusted off her hands, and kept walking. She adjusted her messenger bag on her shoulder, the emptiness of it just another reminder that she didn't own anything. Unfortunately, all of her personal belongings were with Umber and Sasha at their place in Bexley besides the few changes of clothing stuffed into her bag.

The Skyport was only a few blocks away, and Izzy knew that was where her chances of finding a new ship were, but she had to get money first. For some reason, despite all she'd been through, stealing didn't sit well with her, so she was left with one option. She had to go to Langdon.

That bastard lived in Mirefield, and unfortunately he was the only person Izzy knew that would consider giving her some spare credits.

Having to talk to Langdon; well, that just completed the unholy trinity of shitty things Izabella had to deal with that particular gloomy day in Mirefield. At least he lived nearby. She wouldn't have to walk all the way across the city.

・❅・

Sadly, Langdon answered the door as soon as Izabella knocked. She'd been hoping he wouldn't be home and she could just use the spare key to get in and swipe some money.

"Oh, this is quite the surprise. It's not every day I get a visit from one of you girls," Langdon said in his smooth, accented voice.

"Don't get used to it," Izzy chirped, shoving past him.

He closed the door behind her, unruffled. "And what brought you here today, love?"

"I need money. I assume you have some to spare?"

"Of course I do," he replied, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a leather pouch. He tossed it to her, and she caught it, immediately shoving it into one of her many pockets.

"Goodbye," she said, moving to leave.

He held an arm out in front of her, catching her before she could reach the door. "How are Miss Rose and Miss Selakova doing, may I ask?"

"They still have not forgiven you, if that is what you are asking," Izabella replied sharply, pushing his arm away and leaving, slamming the door behind her as she left, stomping down the rickety metal stairs leading to his apartment above the gambling bar he owned.

・❅・

Izabella leaned over the guardrail, looking up at the docks towering above. She had finally found some decent tasting lunch; a small cloth bag filled with hot candied pecans. As she popped one in her mouth, she noticed three people talking about fifteen meters away. She vaguely recognized one of the men, but she didn't know where she'd seen him before. The other two, a woman and another man; those she didn't recognize.

She walked closer until she was close enough to hear their conversation, then crossed her arms, leaning sideways on the railing.

"-Captain with the Insurgency and first officer of the vessel Nerissa," The man she recognized was saying, "Striker class, with twelve beds and a modified gun. Bit heavier than the average Striker, but she's agile enough and her beds are comfortable. Now, we've got a bit of a labor problem, so I'm willing to hire the both of you right now, but there's one thing I'll make clear. I've been with the Insurgency for more than ten years. Before that, I was Republic Air Navy. If you're going to make that an issue, you'd best leave now."

Interesting, Izzy thought to herself. Before she could really think, she walked up to him and said, "I couldn't help but overhear your little speech. My name is Izabella Levitskaya. I am looking for a job as well. And, just to be clear, I left the Republic only two and a half years ago. If you have a problem with that I will leave right now."

Last edited by a moderator:

BEE

The whole time Captain Lee was speaking, Bee had a joyful grin etched on her face. She wasn't trying to be disrespectful or silly but she was just so happy that she was being hired! And the only requirement was to not judge him? Well that was easy because Bee made it her mission not to judge anybody at first sight! And besides, even if he was from the Republic, he just said that he was an Insurgent which meant he was a good guy through and through! But aside from her intention to not judge, she was now apprehensive about that Insurgency detail and also the details about the ship...and the gun...Was now the time to break the news that she didn't have any experiences with well...Any ships?

In Perlenter the only ships that they encountered were cruisers piloted by merchants who constantly shrieked at the miner kids to quit sneaking on board. Of course when Bee had left town, she'd gotten a ride on a cruiser ship but riding on one was way different from actually maintaining one. But she needed this job! If she fessed up now, and Captain Lee rescinded his job offer, who knows when she'd find a better job prospect? Nope. She hated lying but technically she wasn't really lying, she was just...Not providing a possibly vital detail about herself.

"I won't make that any issue, sir! Err--Lee!" Bee cringed inwardly as she referred to him without a title. Her dad had always taught her to refer to her betters with titles like Mr or even Uncle if they were his friends. Though she doubted the Captain would appreciate being called 'Uncle Lee'. "Mr. Lee." She added on quickly. As she responded two more people approached their group, a brown haired man with a face like a hawk and a skinny woman with more piercings than Bee had ever seen in her life.

At the woman's--Izabella's-- statement about just leaving the Republic, Bee glanced between Mr. Lee and the woman before reiterating her previous statement, this time complete with slight jazz hands. "Still not judging!"

Last edited:
ESTHER MCCARTHY

Interaction: Kingsley @Spectre of the Fade
Mention: Wylan @mingummy, Matti @Lillian Gray, Bee @Mundane Monster, Izabella @Bjorn, Roger @BlueFlameNikku

Esther approached the outlook with a keen sense of determination and pride. Her left hand gripped the gauge and left round red dents in her skin. A rumble reached her ears and she glanced a head. Esther's brow rose at the sight ahead of her. Kingsley was like a spider, wrapping his web around all the tiny fruit flies, but where was Matti? He was supposed to be with him, as far as she knew. Dark brown eyes fell onto the man hovering near the captain. She surveyed him for a brief moment, confusion and familiarity running around in circles. She'd worry about him later when she had time.

Esther observed the others from afar, eyes catching a dark-skinned woman with drenched hair and stiff stance, and an intimidating little kid with fair skin who appeared like she always had something to say. She chuckled to herself. A slim male from the far side seemed reluctant to join the small group, hanging back from a distance. He wouldn't have much chance if he just stood there and didn't initiate a proposal with Kingsley. Esther tore her gaze away and called out to the captain. "Kingsley, quite the crowd you've got here. Where's Matti? Last I checked, he was supposed to be recruiting with you."

Her heart made a few irregular beats and she crossed her arms over her chest. She ignored the man hovering on the bike; right now, she was more concerned about safety of their major. Matti was a big deal for her and drinking before recruiting wasn't her idea of work. He was probably getting drunk in the bar, or at least tipsy, to some degree. Her hands moved to her hips and she glanced up at the girl to her left and the one to her right who was just a few inches shorter than her. She gazed over at the man on the bike and turned back to Kingsley. "These must be the new recruits. They look able enough."

Except for the guy on the worn down bike. Lord knows that engine's going to fail sooner or later.

She tossed her gadget around a little, hand to hand and up in the air to pass the time.

"Want me to take them to the ship?"

Location | Nerissa, Skydocks - Mirefield, Netima
Mood | Exhausted
Mentions | Kingsley @Spectre of the Fade Esther @espoir

"Esther?" Matthias called into the workshop, but heard no reply. Odd. He scratched his head and returned to the crew common area and tried again. There was still no reply. Matthias shrugged and gave up his halfhearted search for their female gear head.

The Major pushed against the heavy door into his rarely used personal quarters and paused. The room was in constant disarray, books scattered haphazardly on the floor, his desk, his bed, anywhere that he had left them last without much regard for cleanliness as an afterthought. Resting lazily atop Matthias' beloved hammock - the bed always was such a mess, he had taken it upon himself to simply make a new place to sleep - was the Nerissa's very own rat catcher, Queen. The airship's cat purred as Matthias stepped closer and gently rubbed her gray fur.

"Ah, yes, I know. You're just so spoiled." Matthias chuckled, "But you're sitting on top of my bag..."

Matthias reached beneath the cat and yanked out an old canvas bag. She scurried away angrily, but she'd be back to nuzzling the Major by nighttime. Brushing off cat hair as he walked, he departed from the Nerissa and began his descent in one of the many elevators.

He could hear Kingsley's voice from somewhere nearby. Giving a speech to two new recruits, by the looks of it, and he was doing a fine job at that. A few more approached, and Matthias decided it was best he intervene. Matthias knew he'd been nothing but stressful since they'd arrived in Mirefield, and he hadn't given his first mate nearly as much credit as he deserved for being so cool headed through the matter.

With a sidelong glance towards the markets, Matthias let out a heavy sigh. He had been hoping to do some last minute shopping for a personal matter, but it would have to wait. Kingsley looked rather overwhelmed with the handful of men and women who surrounded him on the walkway. A familiar bright red head of hair joined the group, and the Major knew it was time to make an entrance. Matthias adjusted the strap on his bag and walked over to the growing group.

"Kingsley, afternoon." Matthias and Kingsley shook hands. Almost imperceptible was a single line of runes on his hand that illuminated slightly as Matthias met his friend's grip. In an instant, Matthias could have given him his vitals in a string of otherwise irrational sounding numbers and reads. Kinglsey was calm for the most part, but his elevated heart rate gave him away as either being anxious or excited.

Judging by the small crowd, Matthias was inclined to believe the latter.

"I see you've gathered quite the crowd. Good to meet you all, my name is Major Matthias Clarke, pilot to the Nerissa." Matthias would have time for handshakes and introductions later, when he was more focused. He wanted time to get a good read of each and every person who'd be boarding his ship.

He turned to Kingsley and leaned in so he could murmur, "I hate to cut this short, but I have a small matter to take care of, but you looked like you could use a hand. How bad do you want me?" He smirked mischievously.

Last edited:
[fieldbox="Fia Russo, #E13, solid, 10, Bellefair"]Location: Lower District Tavern --> Skyport Overlook
Mood: resolved, slightly exasperated
Interactions: Sort of everyone
Mentions: Kingsley Lee @Spectre of the Fade, Matthias Clarke @Lillian Gray, Roger Roads @BlueFlameNikku

Damnit.

That was the one word running through Fia's mind relentlessly. No matter how hard she tried, her thoughts kept going back to that damn offer. She remembered it so clearly; after all, it had been only a day since she'd been given the opportunity to fly again. Just the very idea was enough to send adrenaline through her veins, but it was more than just excitement. Crippling fear and loss clawed its way down her spine. She had refused them, saying more than a few choice words at their audacity. She had come to Mirefield, her hometown, to live quietly. To forget the past. And yet it seemed she could never escape it.

Even before Matthias and Kingsley had found her, she'd been nothing short of almost famous. The town was filled with her father's old friends and contacts, and they had all gone out of their way to give her a warm welcome when she arrived two years before. Even now, she was staying with a lovely old couple whose pockets were deeply invested in the Insurgency. It seemed everywhere she went, someone knew who she was. And they didn't always take kindly to her. She'd gotten herself in more than a few scuffles with Republic rats, and she had the scars to prove it. She smirked at the thought, remembering fondly how she'd given a damn good fight despite being hopelessly outnumbered every time.

She sighed, downing the rest of the whiskey she'd mindlessly ordered. She wasn't entirely sure how she'd ended up at one of the many taverns scattered throughout Mirefield, but it was like the universe despised her with all it was worth. Raised voices caught the attention of nearly every patron, and she nearly choked when she saw it was none other than Matthias and Kingsley. Sputtering foolishly, she hid her face as best she could, only relaxing when the two men finally left. She had only heard snippets of their conversation, but she knew in her gut that they were still looking for an able crew.

Fia sat for several moments, her stomach twisting itself into a frenzy. Shit, shit, SHIT! She got up with more gusto than intended, earning sidelong glances from several people including the bartender. With a huff of displeasure, she threw her money on the counter, and the bartender had enough sense not to take offense. For all he knew, the whiskey had been less than satisfactory. She left the tavern with a heaviness to her step, as if the weight of the world was incessantly pressing down on her shoulders. It didn't take her long to find Kingsley, as he had given her the location if she changed her mind. Still, she hung back, blending seamlessly with the crowd. Hesitation slowed her progress, as a barrage of memories shot her with uncertainty. She watched as Kingsley gave his speech, looking both wary and confident. Quite a crowd had gathered, even one who rode in rather unceremoniously on a bike that looked one bump away from falling apart.

My little hummingbird, why are you scared? The sky is your home. Her father's voice rang in her ears, as if he was standing right next to her. She forced herself not to look around in the hope that it wasn't just her imagination. She knew that was all it was. Clenching her fists, she forced herself forward, her sudden resolve forcing her to take this chance before it slipped away. She waited patiently at the edge of the group, her soft appearance suggesting that she was shy and nervous. In fact, her eyes and ears were taking in every detail, waiting for the perfect moment before she finally spoke.

"Fuck it, I'll join your damn crew."
[/hr][/fieldbox]

LEE - THE FIRST OFFICER
Mood: Good ❖ Location: Skydock overlook ❖ Tagged: @BlueFlameNikku @Mundane Monster@Bjorn @espoir @Lillian Gray @Kimberlyn @mingummy
JR5I5JP.jpg
L4brFFa.jpg
l6mHj5k.jpg
Wylan. Lee brightened up almost visibly when he caught sight of his friend approaching from the market area, but he shoved down the overwhelming urge to run over and greet him properly. Just gave a slight wave, then turned his focus - most of it - back to the rapidly growing group that was gathering around him. All the noise was surprisingly reassuring. It meant having a crew, it meant a continued search for the Sources...It meant the Major would relax enough to sleep tonight, hopefully. The auction was tomorrow, and everyone needed to be at their best. Matti especially. Besides, this was his element. Surrounded by people, noise, a half dozen things demanding his attention? That was how he worked best. His eyes trailed over each of the people that would become part of the crew, assuming all went well, along with the two faces who were as familiar to him as the specifications for his forge.

First, the man who'd startled him. Average height, but well built. Good pilot, clearly, and he came bearing a rusty old bike. Its condition created some questions about its owner and how well the guy took care of it, but it could be fixed. Cleaned up. Brought back to working condition. It did look like a Republic model, not dissimilar to the ones Lee had seen on ships he served on...Combined with the guy's military dress, Lee would almost bet he was ex-Republic as well. Hadn't sped off yet, with all the Insurgency talk, so perhaps he was a defector. Republic usually didn't get their crews in such an unprofessional fashion, anyhow. Lee concluded he was willing to let the man aboard, curious about his origins and how right Lee's hunches were.

Then, the girl who'd approached him next. Mayer, Belinda. Bee. Young, short, adorable. Her combination of determination and hesitance reminded him so much of himself when he'd been her age, set on making his place in the world but unsure how to go about doing that. She was going to call him "Mister Lee", it seemed, and he was quite unsure how he felt about that, too used to being called by rank or surname...Something to talk over later on. In the evening, maybe. He highly doubted she had much experience on airships, given her general youth and nervousness, but she'd find her place or pick up a job she liked soon enough. Well, unless she got windsick.

The second girl after that. Izabella Levitskaya, she'd declared, right along with the fact she'd been Republic not even three years previous. She struck him as brash, to put it bluntly, but confident. Weren't many who approached a group like this and spoke their mind about joining up. Weren't many who were bold enough to wear so much metal on their face, in their ears or otherwise. Weren't many defectors who could so openly declare their previous allegiance in such a fashion. Lee found himself to be the tiniest bit impressed with her. Her defection wouldn't be an issue, that would be awfully hypocritical, though he was somewhat curious about her reasonings. She didn't seem to be military.

Esther McCarthy was the next face he looked over. The resident engineer. They'd met for the first time some eight years previous, and she'd hated him since. Was it something he'd done? Something he'd said? Was it his past with the Republic? Was it his father? Was it his friendship with Matti? Was it just him, some flaw in himself he hadn't caught yet that rubbed her wrong? Either way, she was quite content to disrespect him and toss looks in his direction, and he was quite content to just let her be as long as she followed orders. He'd given up trying to figure out whatever animosity she held for him a long time previous, and they'd mostly settled to where her presence was only mildly irritating and didn't grate against his patience. Mostly.

His eyes paused on Matti after her, standing so close and reading his pulse with little more than a handshake. Major Clarke, Matthias. First in Command of the Nerissa. Lee's best friend, bar none. Matti was stubborn and outgoing and courageous, the kind of person Lee looked up to when he was young and the person Lee looked up to now. Even though he was technically the elder. More than ten years of history between them, all the close calls and the joy rides and the bullshit that had led to their fateful meeting. Lee wouldn't give those years up for all the credits and power in the world. Though, given the power and the opportunity, he might change some things. Just a handful.

Someone else approached when he'd been about to address the lot, and he was surprised to realize he recognized the face. Russo, Fia. Daughter of one Captain Russo, who'd he'd heard tales of before he'd even switched sides. She'd been in a tragic crash a couple of years previous - one that shook everyone familiar with the ship or its Captain - and Lee was genuinely surprised to see her. His respect for the young woman grew by a considerable amount when she boldly declared "Fuck it, I'll join your damn crew." and brought no small amount of relief with it. An experienced crew member was going to be wonderful to have around, especially one so familiar with Mirefield.

He didn't respond directly to Matti, fondly rolling his eyes at his friend before turning to the group as a whole with a businesslike expression.

"Levitskaya, that won't be an issue unless you make it one." Levitskaya...Lee would need to practice that one. "Russo, good to see you. Glad you're here, though I doubt you share the sentiment. The rest of you, welcome to the crew of the Nerissa." His eyes went back to Esther, expression carefully neutral, then he continued. "McCarthy, escort these fine folks back to the ship if you would. Elevator D6, if any of you wish to grab something before getting settled. Business to attend to now, but I'll be with the lot of you later. Don't take the silverware, don't touch my guns, play nice with our engineer. Major, I've got someone you're overdue to meet." Then he left the group, spinning away from the lot with a business-like swish of his leather duster. The combination of his excellent posture and the serious expression he'd turned away with was more than enough to be intimidating...but the severe look was replaced by a smile once his back was turned to the group. He didn't bother looking back to see if Matti followed.

That business? Whatever Matti was up to in the market - preparation for the auction, no doubt - but first. Josten, Wylan. Airman First Class. A member of the small circle of people Lee called friends that were not either Matti or a member of the Clarke family. They'd met five or six years previous when Wylan was a freshly minted defector, and Lee liked and respected the man alarmingly soon after that. Wylan was passionate and decisive, tough as the iron Lee smithed under his quiet exterior, and Lee respected him. liked him. They'd forged plenty of fond memories over the years, too. A shared meal, or a deep discussion over tea and drinks now and again. Wylan was the first person to talk Lee into trying gliding. Lee had felt it the next morning, all the bruises and soreness that he was too proud to ask Matti to heal, but somehow he didn't quite regret attempting a sport made for the complete opposite affinity to his. Not with Wylan.

"Wylan!" he called once he was close enough to his friend that he didn't have to do it loudly, his smile growing brighter as he approached. It took longer than he liked to cover the distance, his walking speed carefully measured to keep up appearances in case of watching eyes, but he did cover it. "It's good to see you, my friend," he added, offering his hand for a friendly greeting. He wasn't quite sure where Wylan stood on hugs, even now...it was an awkward question to ask, even if that was Lee's preferred method of greeting friends. "I believe it's long past time for you to meet Matthias," he added quickly, gesturing vaguely to the side without looking to see if Matti had actually followed him.

upload_2017-7-15_22-14-9-jpeg.141559

Roger Roads
Tags: @Spectre of the Fade @Mundane Monster @espoir @Lillian Gray @Kimberlyn @mingummy

Roger continued on smiling as he was pleased to find out he'd indeed found the person he was told. He slowly piloted the bike so that it landed just to one side of Lee and powered the vehicle down. The joyful man casually leaned against the bike, resting an arm atop the handle bars. He let the man finish speaking before responding in a casual tone. "You'll get no worries from me friend. I ain't an ally of the Republic. In fact I'm pretty sure they've still got plenty of bones to pick with me considering I not only fucked off from their ranks after I got my education from em, but I also...liberated...them of this bike here. I've always seen it as a birthday present to myself you see." Roger couldn't help but laugh a little as he remembered the night be basically defected. "Oh, I suppose the bounty of 50,000 I've got plastered on my back may confirm that a bit more."

He waited idly as a small crowd of interested people started to come up and ask for Lee as well it seemed. Roger casually looked over those who were approaching and...nearly all of them were women. He had no problems with this by any means it was just unexpected. One of them however specifically caught the man's attention. The particular redhead who spoke to Lee very casually. Her hair reminded him of the first friend he ever had back when he was living on the streets as a kid; the glory days he'd joke to himself.

After Lee seemed to be done laying down the current rules and passed them off to two of his compatriots Roger hoped right back on his sky bike and brought it back to life once more though he kept the thing on its lowest settings for the time being which would be a slow just above the ground hover that could keep up with a walking passe. He'd follow along with everyone else whenever they would start being led to wherever the ship was docked.

Roger was happy that there were no complaints about him bringing his own bike aboard the vessel, or at least yet but something still itched at the back of his head as he would occasionally steal glances at the red-head who Lee referred to as McCarthy. He knew her...but he couldn't remember from where. With all the scars...was she apart of the Republic Navy at some point? He couldn't quite place it and he knew it would continue to bug him until he either figured it out or just asked her.

The Nerissa

Date | 6th month, 20th day, 1286
Interaction | Everyone @Kimberlyn @mingummy @Bjorn @Mundane Monster
Mention | Kingsley @Spectre of the Fade Roger @BlueFlameNikku
Collab between @Lillian Gray and @espoir

"McCarthy, escort these fine folks back to the ship if you would. Elevator D6, if any of you wish to grab something before getting settled. Business to attend to now, but I'll be with the lot of you later. Don't take the silverware, don't touch my guns, play nice with our engineer. Major, I've got someone you're overdue to meet."

"Esther, I really appreciate it. I'll bring you back some whiskey, yeah?" Matthias grinned sheepishly at Esther in an attempt at a halfhearted apology for pawning off what should have been his duty as the pilot of the ship. He waved, and then turned to follow after Kingsley to meet this new crew member of his.

The major left and Esther wiped her dirty hands off on her pants and flipped her hair off her shoulders to grant a bit of breeze to the back of her neck.

"You heard the captain. Elevator D6, right this way."

She turned on heel and left the outlook promptly, eager to get back to the ship and get the crew's tour over with so she could get some well-needed rest and a shower. Her hair was tangled and rough, skin covered in soot and greenish-purplish bruises from today's workload. Esther didn't make any attempt to talk to the new crew unless they initiated conversation first; any questions about ground rules, first assignments, and sleeping arrangements would be answered by Matthias and Kingsley when they arrived back from their current line of duty.

Esther's boots clacked against the metal walkway as she approached the Nerissa.

"This is she. The Nerissa."

The Nerissa was an older vessel, she had her scrapes and scuffs from past excursions and run ins with Republic, but she didn't lack in firepower or speed by any means. Her exterior facade was made up of a rich amber stained wood with aluminum supports running along the sides and making up the keel of the airship. If one looked closely enough, they could see the faintest outlines of Kingsley's handiwork. Etchings of beautiful scroll work decorated the metal supports. There were three masts which all sported large Sol sails, and at present they were tied up to avoid any accidental tearing from a passing ship in the yard. At the rear of the airship were two twin Aer turbines, a secondary means of generating power for the ship and to keep her in the skies. The generators were well hidden in the belly of the airship.

But the most prominent feature of the Nerissa was the lone barrel sticking straight from the bow. Kingsley's pet project, his marvelous Gauss cannon, which had yet to be perfected. So for the most part it was a display of raw untapped power just waiting to be realized.

Dark brown eyes floated across the beautiful amber wood, inspecting every inch in awe. She'd lived on the ship for a few months now; the exterior was still a marvelous masterpiece after all the wear and tear it'd been through. Esther stepped onto the wooden plank and made her way to the top deck.

To the bow of the ship was a single cabin, Matti's nearly untouched personal quarters. To the rear was a large impromptu storage space. It had originally been used as a common area but Kingsley's project had required that much of the supplies in the belly of the ship be relocated. On either side near the middle rear of the ship were two hatches, concealing a wooden staircase that funneled into the depths of the airship.

"A forewarning, by the way. If you're allergic to cats, it's best you leave now. There's cat hair everywhere."

Esther gestured to the right of the airship.

"That's the major's personal quarters. Matti's rarely in there during the day time so if you want him for anything, he's in med bay."

She nodded towards the left.

"Storage room. And down here is where the rest of the ship is located, as well as the rooms you'll be sleeping in."

She walked over to one of the hatches, pulled on the metal handle to open it, and descended into the hull of the Nerissa.

"Roger, you can leave your bike on the back of the main deck. Everyone watch your step and hold onto the railing. Last thing I need is cleaning up a bloody mess because someone didn't follow safety protocol."

The commons of the airship were long, and an eclectic mix of furniture took up the space in small little groups; a chess set here, a coffee table there, bookshelves lined the walls where small portcullises let in the outside light, bits and pieces that made up a rather homely looking space compared to the vast majority of other military grade airships. Of course, all of the furniture was bolted down so there was no rearranging anyways. Not unless a person was keen on removing every bolt and screw to do so. Towards the back was a narrow hallway that led to the crew's personal quarters. Six small rooms with twin sized bunk beds, one occupied by Esther, another by Kingsley. Neither seemed too keen on sharing, but, they'd have to find a way to accommodate the new crew.

"This is the common room. To the back is the crew's personal quarters."

Esther didn't bother gesturing to the hallway. The uneventful tour came to a skidding halt as the engineer turned around and crossed her arms over her chest.

"This marks the end. Matti says you're free to wander. Any questions?"

Her eyes fell on Roger for a brief moment; a sign that they'd get a chance to talk soon enough and any questions he had about her specifically, it was best to ask them when she was alone.

Location | Main Street Markets - Mirefield, Netima
Mood | Exhausted
Mentions | Kingsley @Spectre of the Fade Wylan @mingummy

At the mention of his name, Matthias quickly turned to give his full attention to the man he knew only in name, Wylan Josten. The single human being who somehow drove an Earth Affinity to try an Air sport, and pulled Kingsley far out of his personal comfort zone. For every close call Matthias and Kingsley had together, it seemed that Wylan and Kingsley had their own tale to tell. After all, it had been Kingsley himself who pulled Wylan over to the Insurgency's front doorstep when the time came. And now, the Major was grateful to put a name to a face. Wylan and Matthias never had the opportunity to meet before the present moment, but Matthias felt as if they'd been old friends simply passing in the night.

"Wylan, I'm guessing? Good to finally meet you after all this time." Matthias stuck out his hand but didn't spare him a quick pulse read. "Don't be anxious, I consider you a friend, what with all I hear about you. Walk with me?"

The Major winked and released Wylan from his grasp. As far was what he learned from his handshake, Matthias would keep that to himself for now. His first impressions were positive mostly because of Kingsley's enthusiasm to meet with Wylan. It only escalated his own excitement to have the man on board. Things were finally moving forward with the hiring of a nearly full crew.

He waved for Kingsley and their new airman to follow after, leading them towards the main street and central attraction of Mirefield. The markets. The center street of the city contained street vendors of every color, selling flowers to food, weapons and trinkets to give as souvenirs. Peddlers shouted to advertise their wares as shoppers mulled on. Shops snaked away from the central vein like small arteries pulsing away from a heart. And the markets were the true heart of Mirefield. It was the only place in the country Republic and Insurgency put on enough of an act at decency that it sometimes became genuine tolerance for one another.

The hustle and bustle moved on around them as Matthias paused to examine a few stalls. Nothing caught his eye. Nothing on the main streets anyways. Matthias slipped into an alley and moved further away from the noise.

"Either of you ever been to an auction?" Matthias asked, eyeing behind him to see if the two men had followed him this far.

collab between @BlueFlameNikku & @espoir
interaction: everyone, esther @espoir & roger @BlueFlameNikku
mention: matti @Lillian Gray

"No questions? Okay, good. I'm taking a shower."

Esther left the room promptly.

Roger Roads was happy to hear there were no issues regarding him bringing his bike along and promptly parked it where he was directed to before joining everyone else below decks. He waited in silence, much like everyone else, as it seemed no one had any further questions after the tour. He waited a moment for the woman who showed them around the ship to make her way down one of the halls before following after her.

After a moment, he called out to her, "Um, excuse me, I don't wanna stop a lady from her shower but I swear I've seen you before."

She felt offended that he seemed more cautious, than excited to see her. "I figured you'd put two and two together after Matti called me by my first name and I called you by your first name, but I guess you're still a bit shell shocked to see me after twelve years," Esther spoke candidly as she turned around and crossed her arms over her chest.

Twelve years.

No one would be able to forget him, not Esther, not anyone. His voice was deeper now, he had facial hair, but everything about him still screamed the same goofball adventurer she'd met when she was only ten years old. Her lips curled a little out of happiness, but her eyes were sad. "You got questions, don't you?"

Roger scratched his head in thought as to who she was. He'd had a hunch at first, but denied it as he thought there was no way it'd be true. "Twelve years," he said softly as it hit him; he stopped scratching his head and his eyes suddenly widened. "Esy?" he questioned before he fully lost his composure.

Oh no. Here we go again.

"Esy!" With a big smile, he yelled her name in utter joy as he embraced her in a hug, ignoring her struggles.
"I can't believe it! By the five!" He released her from his embrace, but he still held onto her shoulders and continued to smile and be filled with energy. "Yeah first question, where have you been all this time huh? Do you even know how worried you made me all those years ago?"

Esther wanted to be excited to see Roger. She was sure she was, but she didn't know how to express it. Esther licked her dry lips and let out a brief, yet awkward laugh. At least Roger was happy to see her. "Be quiet. I don't want to cause a big scene," she said under her breath, a playful smile on her face. She glanced briefly over his shoulder to see if his outburst had grabbed anyone's attention. It looked like they were all busy doing their own thing. Esther grabbed Roger's hand, and dragged him into her room, a couple doors down on the left. She shut the door and took a deep breath.

Esther didn't have a clue where to start. She didn't even understand what she was feeling right now. Her vision was becoming blurry from tears, her heart was pounding in her chest, and all she could think about was how sorry she was for herself and how sorry she felt to him for running away and not caring. She sniffed and tried to laugh. This was awkward; super awkward.

"Let's- let's just be happy that we're here now and I'm still alive."

She wiped away her tears, back turned away from him as she tried to regain her composure and just be happy.

The man could tell his childhood seemed to be dealing with quite a bit as well. He kept up his smile though it softened a little at this point. He was glad she was alive especially considering the scars he could see on her. He rested a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, I'm more than happy to see you again and that's good enough for me, Esy. It'll be just like old times." He'd laugh a bit.

"Well, except I'm not really gonna be calling the shots in this group."

"Ugh, don't be a dummy," she whined, turning around to face him. Her eyes went to his for a brief moment before they traveled elsewhere while she tried to get a grip on the reality of her current situation. "Why aren't you mad at me? I ran away because I was selfish and I didn't care. You act like nothing's changed and yet, everything's changed. I mean, we're adults now and I'm a fricking engineer on this ship and you just got recruited to help out and now we're back together again and," she let out a shaky breath, stopped speaking for a moment, and closed her eyes. Her hands rested on her hips as she took a deep breath.

"Listen, I'm just sorry. I'm really super duper sorry." Her voice began to crack under pressure. Blood rushed to her cheeks and she felt her eyes tear up. Esther spoke again, voice barely above that of a whisper. "I'm so sorry," she repeated multiple times, arms wrapping around Roger and pulling him close. "I'm so sorry."

Roger stood still and continued to look at Esther with a confident smile even through her calling him a dummy, through her asking why he wasn't mad at her, through all the years and what seems to have changed. He could see it in her eyes and he'd never forgotten how lost Esy was when they were young. He listened to her and listened to her and then watched her tear up and wrap her arms around him like she wouldn't be able to stand the pressure of the world.

Roger did what he'd always done for her, he held her up returning the hug; closing his eyes in comfort before speaking softly. "Nothing has changed Esy and that's why I could never be mad at you." He comforted her same as he always did no different than any caring older brother would to a little sister. She was the only family Roger had ever had and he wouldn't let anything sever that tie.

The pair stood in Esther's room as she gradually wrapped herself up. Sometimes, a good cry was all one needed before they could get back on track. Esther took a deep breath and didn't say anything for a while longer. It was simply comforting that even after all this time, Roger still cared, and his heart still beating. She felt like that little girl all over again; helpless, scared.

Whenever she heard his heartbeat, she pictured that tattered plaid blanket going over both of them and his warm smile, a sign of warmth of security. A time when the only sound she heard was Roger's faint breathing and his even heartbeats. Esther stood there in silence for a while longer before speaking again, in a low tone, "Your bike looks like shit by the way."

Roger couldn't help but burst out in a bit of laughter but got himself under control wiping a finger under his eyes. "Oh believe me I know my ride looks like shit but hey I got her for free and my scavenging skills have kept her flying more so than my shitty repairing." From the bottom of his heart he truly was happy that she hadn't changed a bit and from the sound of it it seems like she'd learned a some skills and had bettered herself while she was gone. The thought made the man proud of her.

"Hey, I'll make you a deal then since we're adults now," He said in a teasing tone and a cocky smile. "I find you good parts and you show me what you've learned miss engineer."

Esther snorted and gave Roger a cheeky grin, "You're on."

[fieldbox="Wren Donaghue, #B69F6A, solid, 10, Book Antiqua"]Location: Mirefield > Main Street Markets
Mood: Curious, Hungry
Mentions: @Lillian Gray, @Spectre of the Fade, @mingummy

For being touted as a truly neutral city, it seemed that someone had neglected to inform many of Mirefield's denizens of its neutrality. Not that Wren's first experiences in the city were wholly unexpected, and this only left room for improvement. Perhaps.

His journey here had been a long and rather meandering one, not without begging rides or playing the stowaway, but he had been initially relieved to reach a place far enough east that it was no longer strictly territory of the Republic. Of course, he wasn't so blindly positive as to think he would be well-received dressed as he was, but he'd come out of everything in one piece, which was better than nothing. He couldn't say the same for two of the men who'd taken issue with him-- particularly the one who'd busted his lip-- but that was neither here nor there, and he had since discarded the stolen Republic Air Navy coat. Nothing short of a small miracle, however, would convince him to part with the old and battered Republic military rifle he currently clutched against his chest.

The gun was about as beat up as Wren was himself, but it still worked and it had saved his life on more than one occasion. The rifle had traveled with him for the last eight months, all the way from Lindon. It was something familiar and reliable in a world of chaos and insecurity, and it was the closest thing he currently had to a friend.

Disgruntled people notwithstanding, there were some upsides to cities. Talk seemed to circulate quickly here, and more than once Wren caught snippets of conversation indicating that there were airships hiring crew. One in particular seemed to be looking for hired help, though for what purpose, Wren wasn't entirely sure. And, honestly, it didn't matter. He couldn't remember why he'd come to this city in the first place, and a job at least held the promise of food. Or money, then food. That was really the motivating factor here.

When was the last time he'd eaten, anyway? Had it been the bread? Was that what had made those people in the pub so upset?

He considered for a moment, then readjusted the rifle under his recently-acquired and rather dingy-looking wool coat and slipped further toward the side of the busy street, his peeling leather boots thudding dully on the stone.

For the last few minutes, he had been following a trio of men through the crowds of people, trying to discern whether or not they were the people he was looking for. He'd gone to the place the hiring airship was supposedly docked, but all he found near the elevator in question were the retreating backs of the three men.

The old man who'd directed him to the airshipyard had said he wouldn't be able to miss them—that they looked "like airship captains" and "wore Insurgency jackets." To Wren, that described about half the people in the city. True, two of them did wear coats emblazoned with the Insurgency insignia, but the taller of the two looked more like a sort of living boulder than an airship captain. There was also a third man with them, though he did not appear to be part of the jacketed crew.

Stumbling briefly as one of his ill-fitting boots caught on a loose cobblestone, Wren managed to recover himself without much incident. He was losing ground on the others in the crowd, however, and decided he would investigate a bit more closely.

Bringing himself up to stride, he picked his way through the crowd until he fell in line beside the other men, simply watching them as they walked.

It was likely an odd or even alarming sight to have a man in grubby, over-large clothes and covered in cuts and bruises approach gripping a gun, but Wren made no indication of hostility. With no further explanation, he simply walked and listened to Matthias as though he'd been politely invited.

[/fieldbox]

Last edited:

Interactions: Kingsley @Spectre of the Fade and Matthias @Lillian Gray
Mentions: @/everyone @DinoFeather

tumblr_ossm6tVLSf1uox243o1_250.jpg

W Y L A N ◡ J O S T E N

Kingsley was surrounded on all sides like a castle under siege. The "I" on his jacket his flag's sigil; the one every man, woman, or other wanted to fly upon their own walls. Would the man so aptly named take these willing soldiers under his mantle? Wylan knew that his friend was verging on desperation if not already there. Chances were the throng of people eagerly soaking in the light of his presence would do so for some time.

Warmth radiated from Kingsley's features just as their eyes met above the din of noise and bourgeois. It settled something inside of Wylan; nerves he hadn't known were fraying, the dissent persisting in his mind - what if's and maybe's clambering for voice. The cheery wave Kingsley sent his way was significantly comforting however and Wylan knew at that moment it would take something catastrophic to keep him from joining this crew.

Succeeding a moment of introspection, Wylan noticed a man of distinct appearance sidle up towards his friend. He was short, ruggedly handsome with shadowed jaws and eyes of blue gold. Only one man could fit such a description and come so close to the First Officer and that man was Matti. Or more accurately, Major Matthias Clarke as said man introduced himself at that moment. Apart, the two carried an intimidating air but together they were magnificent in their easy coterie.

The duo had clasped hands and Matti murmured words into his partner's ear who then spoke into the crowd with purpose. His speech toted good humor but his face was resolute in it's impartiality. The grandiose spin that Kingsley performed was the only warning he had before the two were headed in his direction. A small smile graced Wylan's face as he was greeted by his friend. One large hand enfolded his smaller one in a gesture of familiarity.

"Words cannot do justice, I am glad to see you again." Wylan spoke through a delighted smile. He turned his gaze to Matthias as they were introduced and bowed his head with respect before exchanging another clasp of hands. The smooth castling of traits hidden within a mere touch between two men was enough for Wylan to anticipate a lasting friendship. "Matthias. I have heard much about you as well. And thank you, I hope my unease isn't woefully apparent."

The wink caused him to purse his lips in a bid to keep from laughing. The man was a charmer. Wylan was incapable of resisting Matti's gesture to follow, compliantly stepping into his wake. Their surroundings altered as they walked, a sudden boom of canaille and color enveloping them. As Matthias led his crew of two into an alley he couldn't help a fluttery feeling of thrill, not unlike when he was a child and played at being a spy. His juvenile excitement was only heightened when Matthias questioned them.

"Not in some time, but I'm aware of their purpose." He concealed his eagerness in his answer with a clinical appraisal of his experience.

Wylan chose to ignore the man walking beside them until Kingsley or Matthias made note of him. He perused the taller man's disheveled appearance with an impartial but analytical glance. He had quite obviously just come out of a fight and Wylan would bet that he'd been the victor. The bold countenance and unhesitating tread he walked spoke of someone who knew what they were about. Although the man did look like he could fall over at any moment ad Wylan had to suppress his instinct to offer a shoulder to lean on, it had been hard enough to mask his cringe when he'd stumbled. Oh, second-hand embarrassment, his old but undying nemesis.

It had however already been decided in his mind at some point that he would take his cues from the Major in front of him and First Officer at his side.

Status
Not open for further replies.