A Writing Experiment Fueled by yer Brain Meats!

C

CosmicWeinerDog

Original poster
So nanowrimo's in six days, and I finally got me an idea I'm going to give a shot at.

For those of you that don't know, the National Novel Writing Month (Nanowrimo) is this thingum every november where folks from around the world try to write a 50k word novel in 30 days. It's a crazy amount of fun and it's really amazing the type of folk you meet along the way doing it. If your interested, or just check it out I strongly recommend giving it looksee here: http://nanowrimo.org

Anywhosm, the idea I have is I'm going to take a stupid simple plot premise and use all you weirdos to make it interesting. The plot premise is going to be a barebones Storm the castle, kill the dragon, save the princess, escape super metroid style.

I know what you're thinking. LORDY COS THAT WOULD BE BORING.

You'd be right, so to spice it up I want to throw a wrench in the works and completely change genres every 1000 words. What I mean by that is I start the novel, I write for 1000 words. On 1001 words I completely shift gears and write the book in a completely different style of fiction. On 2001 i do it again and continue pulling it off until I hit 50k and my brain asplodes.

So the first thousand words might be realistic fiction, the next might be space opera, the next might be western. The setting will change up, the characters might take on aspects of the new genra and the style of writing will noticably alter, but the progression of the story will be the same.

WHICH IS WHERE YOU COME IN.

I need styles of fiction. I need 50 of them. They can be anything, I'm not particular. Post your favorite styles of writing, or just something you'd think might jack up the progression and be a challenge to work with. At some point in the work, I'll include it and when I'm done I'll post it somewhere on the site where you all can give it a looksee.

Cheers.

Interesting plan, this. I'd be interested to see how it plays out.

Now then, genres:
  • Noir
  • Horror
  • Mystery
  • Fantasy
  • Historical Fiction
  • Cyberpunk
  • Steampunk
  • Post-Apocalypse
  • Thriller

That's all I got for now.

I will try to list genres and styles as well. Here you go:

- Tesla Punk
- Diesel Punk
- Overly Descriptive and Precise Prose
- Surreal Horror
- Gothic Horror
- Victorian Era Fiction (I have no idea)
- Terrible Fanfiction
- Romantic Comedy
- Comedy
- Movie Script
- Dadaist Novel
- Sentimentalist Novel
- Fairy Tale
- Epic
- Myth / Legend

That is all that comes to mind right now. I brainstorm more for you later on. Good luck with NaNoWriMo and know that you have my support... and competition.

I will try to list genres and styles as well. Here you go:

- Tesla Punk
- Diesel Punk
- Overly Descriptive and Precise Prose
- Surreal Horror
- Gothic Horror
- Victorian Era Fiction (I have no idea)
- Terrible Fanfiction
- Romantic Comedy
- Comedy
- Movie Script
- Dadaist Novel
- Sentimentalist Novel
- Fairy Tale
- Epic
- Myth / Legend

That is all that comes to mind right now. I brainstorm more for you later on. Good luck with NaNoWriMo and know that you have my support... and competition.

Is tesla punk like 1950s over the top sci fi? Kinda like the old comics of time travel, aliens, and crazy unrealistic science gizmos? Kinda like the old world blues fallout NV expac?

Tesla Punk is basically "Electricity is awesome and it can freely violate the laws of physics." I can not quite put my finger on the genre of the 1950's wacky science fiction but I do not think it is strictly Tesla Punk. The aesthetic of Tesla Punk is composed of ball lightnings, Tesla Coils and loads and loads of electricity. I used to have a link that explained it better than I do, but the site seems to be down.