A Twist of Fate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cryon grinned a he watched Mallin leave, letting his eyes wander for a moment while he waited for him to return. Unlike before, the chatter in the room felt warm and welcoming, as if it was a friendly get together rather than strangers milling about for food and drink. The king fiddled with his fingers, thinking about the time when he would have given anything to be a normal citizen, working hard to go home to a loved one and even though it might have been a struggle, to enjoy life for what it was. That longing in his chest only strengthened, his mind moving to what 'if', as it always did.

But, when he saw Mallin making his way back over, he realized that he would have never met his dear friend if he had been normal, and that thought washed away like a wave in the ocean. "Yes. The king doesn't want me sneaking off in the middle of our alliance now does he?" The king said, a bit of teasing coming into his town before he fell silent for a moment, looking down at the table. He had a question that he wanted to ask, but he just wasn't quite sure if he would ever be able to word it right where it didn't come off as harsh or accusing to Mallin.

"What do you...." Cryon trailed off, rubbing at the back of his neck for a moment before continuing. He couldn't bring back those memories for the mage. He wouldn't dare hurt him in that way as to bring up the king and queen's death. "What do you plan on doing when you return home?" He finally said, a cheekiness in his voice masking the way his heart was pounding. He craved to know about what the mage had seen, what he had felt that night. Maybe Cryon just wanted to know as a reminder that Mallin could never hurt someone willingly, but he wasn't quite sure why he wanted to know so badly.

Mallin smiled a little for Cryon when the king joked of being kept in this place for the alliance, and just shook his head at him. "I suppose it wouldn't be good for business if you roamed free the entire time." Part of him worried for Cryon, as if something might happen. In his heart he knew the king of Arcturus was a good man, as much as one could tell in the handful of times Mallin had met him over the course of the last decade or so, but there would probably always be a worry that his former prince would suddenly disappear if Mallin weren't at his side.

When questioned, the mage's smile faded a bit, a hand rubbing a bit nervously over the back of his neck. "I don't . . . I don't really know, yet." He admitted, a bit quieter now, a bit more unsure, and gave a wane smile back at Cryon. "I hope to beg of your hospitality for a little while until I can figure that out. I doubt that anyone back home is in need of my usual services."

That was the difficult part, and one he had hardly had time to think about, given he'd only found out he could go home just hours ago. Here, his place had been clearly established for years. He was essential in some ways, and would most likely even need to train someone else to take over for his water bearing duties before he truly left, but back home there wasn't a need for such things. And more than that, he didn't know how the people there would react to any use of magic, didn't know just how much he would have to hide himself.

A stretch of silence passed between them, and when Mallin looked up from the table at his old friend it was with worry in his eyes. ". . . do you think anyone will remember me?" His name had, essentially, been cleared of reproach, but . . . surely there were still some that would see him only as the little boy that killed the king and queen. The marks on his face couldn't be removed, and would give him away.

"My home is your home, Mallin. That you must surely know." Cryon replied, resting a comforting hand on his friend's shoulder. Honestly, the king wouldn't, couldn't, have it any other way. Just the mere thought of the mage staying somewhere else, even if that place was friendly, irked him and gave chills along his skin. His subjects may be a forgiving, caring group of citizens as a whole, but even Cryon knew that if some were to meet Mallin again, he would be accused no matter if he was clear or not.

That served to bring an even more dire question to the king's mind. What would they do once people begin to recognize Mallin? Would he have to hide his identity, cover the marks under his face to where they are not noticeable, or will he be able to wander freely? Surely, his citizens wouldn't be as rash as to hurt him, even if they did know it was truly him?

"I do not know, Mallin. I have a few concerns myself about this matter." Cryon replied, rubbing his hand over the small amount of stubble that was beginning to form from the day's passage of time. "Most of the citizens believe that you are innocent, but I still know of rumors in the darker of the subjects that..." Cryon trailed off, knowing he did not have to finish his sentence for his message to become clear. The mage coming back could actually be dangerous.

"I will keep you safe." Cryon finally said, clenching his jaw and looking at the mage with determined eyes. "You need not worry about a thing while you are with me. I won't let any harm befall you." The king released his grip on Mallin's shoulder, returning his hands to his lap as he looked down at the table. He hoped that this information would not dissuade the mage, though he wouldn't be surprised.

Mallin smiled a little, at first, comforted even just slightly by the feeling of Cryon's hand on his shoulder. The idea that the man wasnt afraid to touch him was a comfort in itself. He had missed his friend dearly. It had been a very long time since he'd even dared hope he and Cryon would ever be close enough to touch again. Even something as simple as a handshake, or their arms brushing together as they walked. It brought back fond memories.

"Cry. . ." The Mage started with an almost sad sort of smile. "I am not worried about being hurt. . . There is little that concerns me less." He had gotten older, stronger, more skilled. And more experienced. More world weary. There wasnt much a person could inflict on him that he didn't think he could stop or endure. "I just . . . don't wish to reflect badly on you."

Mallin went silent when a young man delivered their drinks and told them the food was almost ready, only thanked the man and let him go. When he was gone, the Mage gave his head a little shake. "We will have some time to think on it yet. I . . . I must find and instruct a replacement for myself before I can truly leave."

There was a pause again, and finally the Mage decided he didn't want to think of it yet. "And . . . what of my family?" He asked softly, almost afraid for answers. "Did . . . Are they . . . all right?" Only those that truly knew his parents would ever have associated a young Mallin with the boy that lived as the prince's playmate, so he didn't think they had suffered for his crimes, but he worried. He hoped that they were doing well still, even if he didn't quite have the rudeness in him to ask if Cryon had taken care of them for him, or if he'd forgotten them in his anger for Mallin.

"You couldn't possibly reflect badly on me. You were and are my closest friend and that's what you always will be." Cryon replied, his eyebrows furrowing as he looked at Mallin. Of all things that the mage had to fear, his own image hadn't even come to mind. Of course, he was a king, and he was expected to lead the kingdom wisely. Maybe letting someone who was once considered to be the killer of his parents wasn't the brightest idea in some people's eyes, but he trusted Mallin, and he doubted that would ever change.

The king sipped on his drink gratefully as it came, giving his own thanks as the man delivered them. When the mage spoke, he set his drink down, glancing down at the table and clenching and unclenching his jaw, a sign that he was thinking. "Teaching someone could take quite a while couldn't it? Especially if they are not already specialized in water magic?" Cryon asked, his voice growing softer.

At the mage's question, Cryon looked down, a bit of guilt in his eyes as he swallowed nervously. "Your father passed away about three years ago. A sickness ran through, weakening every one infected and killing several. Even now, we do not have a true cure, only what a few local mages could help with healing." The king said, glancing over at Mallin with a sad look. Even though the rest of Mallin's family was fine, he knew that he would forever remain guilty about that. He couldn't even keep his best friend's father living, and that itself was a blow to his own heart. He couldn't imagine what Mallin was feeling.

"Although we never directly influenced their lives, the council sent them money every once in a while to make sure they were fed." Cryon continued, threading his fingers through his hair though that mussed it up a bit. "Even when I thought I hated you, and everything you had done, the thought of them or you suffering...." The king trailed off, gritting his teeth as he looked at the table, saying no more.

Mallin doubted, somehow, that his presence would have absolutely no effect on the king's image, but he did his best not to comment further. There was time for that, later. "It may take a month or two, yes," he said softly. "But it will be needed, in my absence. Eide could do it, but I dont know if he'll want another apprentice." The older Mage was mostly solitary, and Mallin wasn't even sure why the man had trained him.

Perhaps he would have smiled about it, if Cryon had not continued speaking.

Something sat heavy like a weight in his stomach, and when food was set in front of them Mallin didn't so much as look at it or the server, only stared blindly at the man across from him. Though he hadn't been allowed to see his parents often while living with his friend, the Mage had always held images of them in his mind, his mother soft and caring, his father strong and supporting him. He knew, somewhere, that if he'd been home he wouldn't have been able to do anything, that he hadn't learned to heal until he'd run away, but survivor's guilt was a heavy and difficult to shake burden.

". . . thank you." The Mage managed faintly when his eyes had drifted to the table, hands balled into tight fists against his knees. His mother, at least, was alive, and 'they' had him assuming his sister was also. She had hardly been three when he ran away, their parents afraid to have more children after him and yet doing so once they had essentially lost him. He hadn't been allowed to see her, yet, had to wait until she was older and then was gone from them forever. Their mother hadn't had a son to take care of her.

"I . . . I have some wages saved." He said after a long pause, quiet and a bit shaken still. "I would bring it to them as soon as is possible." And then, when he could actually begin living in his old home he would find a way to earn wages some way, any way, and make sure they were okay. He only hoped they would still want him. Even if they didn't, even if the idea was unbearable, he would drop off the money for them and stay out of their lives. He would be taken care of well enough with Cryon, everything he had could go to them.

"Perhaps you can ask him if he would take another apprentice. There's no harm in it." The king suggested, glancing down at the food before him. Even citizen food looked deicious, which was more than he expected. Still, he was curious to take a bite, but he would wait until Mallin was ready, to make sure that he didn't come off as inconsiderate. After all, this was a sad time for the mage, and he wasn't going to be an arse.

Cryon tipped his head, his eyes full of concern as he pushed his food a bit to his side, leaning closer to Mallin. "I'm sorry you had to learn of this sadness this way. If you wish, I could take them to the castle for you, to let you be with them again." Cryon suggested, wishing he could comfort Mallin in a way that would let the mage know that it was alright. He just wanted him to know that he was there for him, no matter what.

"I could take you to your father's grave when we return if you wish. It's just outside the village." Cryon offered after a moment of silence, running his tongue over his lips. Maybe he should tell the mage how he passed in his sleep, almost as peacefully as a man could go with the mere cough here and there. But, for some reason, he just couldn't bring himself to say those words. Maybe it was because it sounded like false reassurance. After all, the man died and no amount of comfort will bring him back.

If Mallin had been in better spirits he may have laughed and told Cryon that Eide was a grumpy old man. The older Mage, while nowhere near ancient, was much older than Mallin himself, old enough to be his father's age, and had more and more in recent years stayed away from the town, presumably because he had Mallin to replace him and to run errands. It would be a difficult conversation, the younger Mage thought, but now it seemed of little concern. There were so many other things to think about.

"That . . . That is a decision I cannot make for them." He said quietly, giving a faint, humorless smile. "They have a life and friends, no doubt. Perhaps they are simply better off without me around to muck it up." If people reacted negatively to his presence, he wouldn't have it getting back to his mother and the sister he didn't even know. He would give them the money he had, and send his wages whenever he found work, and if it was safe and they didn't send him away after a while he would try his best to be part of their lives. But how could he begrudge their choice if they decided he wasn't worth it? He had left them alone.

After a pause, Mallin gave his head a little shake to clear it. "Please, eat." He said softly, though he wouldn't reach for his own plate or utensils. "I am . . . not hungry." He wouldn't be for a while.

Cryon furrowed his eyebrows, reaching out and taking Mallin's hand, giving it a comforting squeeze. "I do not wish to see you upset." Cryon said softly, concern in his eyes as he tipped his head. His food laid forgotten at this point, and he didn't even consider eating it with the look the mage had on his face.

"I'm sure everything will work out for the better, Mallin. After all, fate seems to have brought us together, hasn't it?" Cryon continued after a moment, trying to convey all he was feeling at the moment. He wished he could make the mage smile again, maybe make the horrors that he had faced a distant memory that did not affect him like it did now. Maybe that was too much to hope for, but that didn't mean the king wouldn't try.

Cryon sighed, letting go of Mallin's hand and returning his to his lap, glancing towards the table with a clenched jaw. "You need to eat, Mallin. You will not be able to keep your strength up if you do not." Cryon said, biting his lip. He could only remember when his parents died, unable to eat because of the memory of all the blood and gore. He had nearly died of starvation, throwing up everything he forced down his throat. It had been something he never wanted to experience again, and grew sensitive to the routine of his eating habits.

Mallin looked slowly up at Cryon when the other man took his hand, forcing his own to go lax so as not to squeeze painfully as he'd been doing when there was nothing to damage by doing so. Better. He didn't feel like things could be for the 'better' when he'd just learned he would never see his father again, had never gotten to say goodbye. There was a confusing mix of despair at the idea of it, and the still present joy at finding his friend, and it made Mallin feel almost ill.

So he did what he always did. He tried to push it away until a better time.

The mage wanted to ask how he could possibly want to eat, or to say that he very well knew how much his body needed to keep his strength in a desert environment. But there was something in Cryon's voice, and when Mallin looked a bit miserably at the plate in front of him he couldn't bring himself to make the words. Quietly, when he had his hand back again, he pushed his food around a bit with a fork and finally took a small bite, with no appetite and only a desire to see his friend not be displeased with him.

"I'm sorry. . ." He said softly once he'd swallowed. "I . . . I am happy to see you, I just . . . I need to . . . think about it, I suppose. . . Will you just talk to me for a few minutes? Tell me how the kingdom is doing." He needed to process, needed to come to terms with it. He thought it was good, at least, that the life he'd led hadn't been a very forgiving one, nor an extremely charitable one. It helped prepare him for moments like these, when it felt like the world had been pulled from underneath him and the darkness would swallow him up. He knew better now how to get his feet, and back to the light. He just needed time.

"I believe that is something I can do." Cryon replied, finally taking a bite of his own food. It was amazing, not quite as good as palace food, but what it lacked for flavor it made up with a wholeness that his usual food did not have. It was as if this food was made specifically to curb the eater's appetite, which he found himself quite enjoying.

It took a moment for him to think of something to say, trying to sort through all that had happened since Mallin had left. It just seemed like so much to him. "Our old tutor has three children now. The devilish little rascals are always getting into something." Cryon finally said, trying to focus on happier memories, for the mage's sake. "Little Carrie has probably scarred the mages with her shinanigans. You should have seen her, Mal; sneaking up on them and sticking bugs and toads down their shirts. She's a mage too, you know, though her focus is air."

"His other two are twins, Galahad and Barda. They are not quite as bad as Carrie, but I've seen them many a times running from the kitchen with the cooks after them. They like to experiment with the cooks dishes." Cryon continued, a soft smile crossing his face as he thought of the young ones. He absolutely adored him and their cheeky faced happiness. "Maybe I am a bit to blame. I do spoil them quite a bit, but they are just so cute I can't help myself."

"Anyways, he's got his hands full, that's for sure, but still, he has the time to lecture me constantly." Cryon said, rolling his eyes at the thought. "Before I left, he drilled me into the customs of this kingdom so much, I thought my head was going to explode. He sure seems to enjoy it though from the way he smiled everytime I almost pulled out my hair."

Mallin took small, slow bites as Cryon talked, listening and not interrupting despite the fact that he'd meant to ask about the kingdom's affairs, not specific people that he had left behind. He did remember the instructor his friend spoke of, though, and smiled just the littlest bit at Cryon's enthusiasm. The man had been more Cryon's teacher than Mallin's, but as the young mage had been there and was later in life to help Cryon with his studies and duties as best he could, he had sat in on all the teaching sessions and learned until the moment the Incident happened.

"She is . . . safe?" The mage couldn't help asking, despite wanting to inquire after his old instructor's health. With what had happened, he'd expected mages, especially young ones, to face much more pressure to stay hidden, and much more fear from those that didn't understand them. But if she was running around causing mischief with her magic, and with something so intangible as air and wind, and no one was angry with her than it couldn't be as bad as he'd imagined it could. "Per- Perhaps I could teach her a little?" The thought was, to some degree, reassuring. Maybe he would still have a place in his old home.

"Most of this kingdom's land is desert." The mage explained softly, though he was sure his friend already knew that much. "Resources can be precious and few if one does not plan ten steps ahead. The king will likely be wary of losing any of his resources, if there isn't much to spare." He paused to push his food around a bit, idly, and only took another bite because he knew Cryon was waiting for him to keep eating. "But on the common people's level it is very much different. For most, there is a common idea of sharing and helping, because if one part of the kingdom fails, so will the rest, and we are stronger together. . . I don't know if that helps at all."

"I believe she would live to learn more magic. The more power to get mischief the better." Cryon said, shaking his head fondly as he looked at the mage. He would love to see Mallin teach Carrie the ways of magic. She seemed like she could be a natural, but then again, the king wasn't quite sure.

"The way you explain is much easier to understand than what he was telling me." Cryon said, a small smile playing on his face as he leaned on his arms, watching Mallin with interest. "Political terms and large vocabulary has never been my strong suit. He forgets that sometimes." Cryon rubbed his hand through his hair, letting out a soft smile before his lip twitched, his eyebrows furrowing as he stared at the table.

"The reason for my being here is we have been threatened for war from another kingdom. I was hoping an alliance with this kingdom would deter them from attacking, or at least slow them long enough to build a suitable army." Cryon said, casting a glance around the room before looking at the mage with a small smile. "We will know in a few days I guess."

(Sorry, I'm typing on my phone so these will be a bit short)

((That's okay :) Sorry for the wait, I was trying to read the manual for my new car so I can learn what all the buttons do before I break something haha))

Mallin shook his head with a little smile, able to feel amused for a moment at the idea of giving a little girl more power. "It is more about learning precision and control, how to contain her magic so it doesn't wreak more havoc than she wishes it too." It was important for a little one to learn that, so they didn't break anything or hurt anyone on accident. But he supposed he could teach her a few harmless tricks if it would make her and Cryon happy.

"You always hated your lessons. . ." The mage mused softly, looking at his friend out of the corner of his eye for a moment before looking back to his plate again. Even when they were little he had tried to encourage Cryon to keep trying with his lessons, since he would need them when they were older. As a boy from a commoner family, having so many books around and so many things to learn had seemed such a big privilege. He'd never considered someone might not want it.

"War?" Mallin looked up at Cryon with a bit of worry in his eyes, concern for more than just his own future easily moving in to push more urgent worries aside. "Do you think it unavoidable?" An alliance might make a neighboring kingdom think twice, given the size of the opposing forces it could face. But peace was always a better option than war, no matter what the stakes. Mallin knew that well enough, and he feared for the people of Arcturus and his home. "I hope everything goes well. . ."

Cryon nodded, chewing softly at his lip as he furrowed his brows. IT had become a habit over the years, especially when his parents died, and the momentary pain made him feel better, if anything else. When he looked back up at Mallin, the concern in his eyes gave him a sense of warmth pooling in his stomach, easing the way it twisted with fear for his people.

"I think that it will be a close call if we do not go to war." Cryon answered, the palms of his hands sliding along his thighs several times before he set them on the table, his fingers twitching to do....something, anything. He let out a soft sigh, smiling at Mallin, though it seemed weak and strained.

"I have to keep in mind the possibility of Arcturus not becoming our allies. It is....something that weighs heavily on my mind. Your king, although kind, might not want to risk joining in a war." Cryon said, chewing on his bottom lip again. It kept him up many nights at his own home, pacing his room, trying to come up with a plan. He wished he was smarter, knew how to handle people and their affairs, but he was only human.

Mallin didn't like what Cryon was saying. The people of Arcturus were tough, surely, and capable of taking care of themselves, but no one wanted to be at war. The people he knew in this place, despite backgrounds or lineage, didn't look to hurt anyone. All they wanted was to live their lives, in this place that accepted all kinds and asked little questions so long as no theft or harm came to anyone. He feared for the people here, and for his home.

". . . Will you meet with him again tomorrow?" The Mage asked, concerned still but with a bit of an idea forming slowly in his head. As a powerful Mage, and Eide's student, Mallin was not unknown to the king. Perhaps, before Cryon talked to the man again, Mallin could find a way to request a meeting with the king himself. It was worth a shot, wasn't it?

"I'm sorry, Cry. . . I hope everything works out for the best." He was glad, at least, that he could be closer to his old friend, in this time of worry. If anything happened, he could protect Cryon by being near him. His magic could be put to good use.

"Yes. Hopefully he will agree to join this alliance." Cryon replied, pushing his plate away. He couldn't imagine eating anymore at this point. Just imagining the war, the carnage that would come with it; good men who would never come home to their wives and kids, it was a frightening thought, and he couldn't help but be thankful that he didn't have a lover of his own to worry about. Just the thought of the both of them in war...

"I'm certainly ruining our reunion aren't I?" Cryon commented, forcing his mind from the thought. He wouldn't allow himself to think about it right now. Instead, he turned his focus back to his best friend, giving him a sad smile to hide the way his jaw was clenching from the frustration that came with those thoughts.

"This is probably why most of the council are alcoholics." The king said, trying to lighten the mood as his eyes moved back to the table. A drink didn't sound half bad at the moment. Hell, getting too drunk to think about the oncoming storm seemed like heaven, but he shouldn't even consider it. He had a job to uphold.

Mallin was a bit disappointed, or concerned he supposed, when Cryon pushed his plate away, but he supposed if the king wasn't eating than he wouldn't be pressured too either. He'd lost his appetite even before the talk of war, of course. The timetable presented to him was also something unfavorable on its own. If he were to have an audience with Arcturus' king, it would have to be before he went home, or even very early the next day. He would just have to be quick about it, and make sure he knew what he was going to say before he went.

When Cryon went on, Mallin did at least manage to smile a little. "There is not much that could be worse than I imagined it, over the years." When he'd thought of them ever meeting again, he'd always imagined his friend would try to kill him, or at the very least would hate him with a burning passion. He hadn't expected that they would reconcile immediately, that Cryon would tell him that he knew it wasn't Mallin's fault his parents died. Mallin couldn't say he completely agreed with that idea, but it was good that they could be together again.

The mage wanted to say a group of alcoholics didn't sound like a very good ruling standard, but he didn't want to ruin things when his friend was trying to make some sort of joke. ". . . I'll be with you." Mallin said softly after a moment, and held back the urge to reach for his friend's hand. "If it helps at all. . . If anything happens, I'll be with you." Even if it turned into a war, he would do everything he could.

"I never even dared to allow myself to imagine us meeting again. I was too scared of what you might have become or how you would react seeing me after all that had happened. I was so nervous when I saw you, but I'm glad it worked out the way it did." Cryon mumbled, watching the mage as drew his bottom lip between his teeth. He knew what lonliness did to people; it had been very clear in prisoners that were locked in the dungeon for an extended time. The thought of Mallin ending up the same way after he ran was....unsettling.

"Thank you, Mallin, but I don't want you hurt. War is a dangerous threat, and I'll not see you getting injured in any way while you are with me." Cryon said, his eyebrows furrowing with concern as he let out a soft sigh. Protectiveness was running through his veins, making his fingers twitch with trepidation. He ran one hand through his hair again, letting the fingers tangle in locks momentarily as he gathered his thoughts in order before smiling and letting his hand drop back to the table.

"I sound like some love-struck maid. I guess I've always been a soft child haven't I?" Cryon said, shaking his head and pulling his drink to his lips, taking a long draught. The cool liquid helped smooth his thoughts, if only a little, and he set it back down, leaning on his elbows.

Mallin had envisioned their meeting again, many, many times. He supposed part of it had been to punish himself, for not keeping hold of his magic, for being manipulated so as to cause his friend so much pain. He had always imagined Cryon being angry, furious, or so lost in a spiral of depression he wouldn't even look at Mallin. Things had turned out much better than those scenarios, of course, and for that much he was relieved and grateful. There was no need to bring up such ideas now.

"You always worried." The Mage said softly, with a little smile on his face. "You were always trying to soothe me."

He remembered being confused and lost as a child, wondering why he had to go away, and why his parents couldn't keep him. They had promised him everything would be okay, that he would go and play with his prince friend and have everything he could ever want, and it wasn't a goodbye for always, he would see them again. He wondered if it would have been easier, knowing his purpose for keeping the prince company. But he supposed not knowing at all was part of why he had cried so hard those first few days. Even more distinctly than the pain and sorrow he tried to forget, he remembered an equally confused Cryon trying to soothe him. They had been so small then, and it felt lifetimes away, but he remembered it so clearly.

"But . . . we aren't children anymore." Mallin added after a little pause, trying not to get distracted by reminiscence. "And I am not so clumsy or frail as I was as a child." Neither was he so unused to injury or pain anymore. "You mustn't worry so much. If there comes a time, I believe you will find me standing between you and danger, not the other way around." He gave a little smile, as if to reassure the man there were no hard feelings, nor did he think Cryon weak. "Some day soon, I'll have to show you some of my tricks."

Status
Not open for further replies.