A Thousand Shining Stars ♥ Night of the Masquerade

[Tybalt with Summer and Mason]
"Yes, I do ramble a lot. The best conversation one can have is with oneself." Tybalt said to Mason. Then the blonde haired princess came towards them. Tybalt knew she would be curious as to why he had left.Tybalt bought his time before answering Summer's query. The amount of conflicting magics in the air was distressing to him. At any moment they would convulse onto one point and create chaos. And that's exactly what happened.

The king called out in distraught and was speaking in tongues. Tybalt then grabbed both Summer and Mason and forced them under his cape. "Whatever you do, do not move out from under hear until I give the instructions to do so. Is that understood?" He would not explain anymore than that.

Hector then spoke, "Nya~Should I transform, so I can take on whatever bad ass creep that shows up?"

"No. We don't need to attract more attention than we already have..."

[Ambrose, with Felicia]
[size=-2]
Ambrose stiffened at the entrance of the king, pulling Felicia closer so that she was nearer to him, in case of something going amiss. He wasn't sure what would, he looked puzzled by the king's words. It was common knowledge, lessons of deeds done, that this king had murdered in cold blood even the toddling babes because they were the heirs to the Memoian throne. Ambrose watched the distraught king for another moment before turning his head.

"I doubt that it is possible..." he murmured, a cloudy sadness in his voice at the thought of three tiny coffins being put beneath the unforgiving ground. Ambrose realized he was protectively holding the maid in front of him still and let go instantly. "My apologies, I was thinking for your safety, princess..... Might I have a name to call you?" the anonymity of the ball discomforted him and he felt ill at ease in a room filled only with strangers.

The scene had put the thought of dancing far from anyone's mind for the moment and so he simply waited, watching her, realizing he must look every bit as intimidating to her. Before she could speak, he responded awkwardly to his own question. "Ah, but it's unfair for me to ask your name and give you nothing to go on - My name is Ambrose of Cathebal" he stooped into a bow in front of Felicia then, straightening to look at her and wait expectantly again.
[/size]

[Pillar Emeline and Prince Christoph]

"Princess, I am Prince Christoph Thier, of the Thierran kingdom. It is my pleasure to be in your company," he introduced. She took a deep breath of fresh air as he kissed her hand politely, and she allowed it to linger. A look of relief seemed to wash over her.

"Christoph," she echoed, trying to recall the foreign policy for his kingdom. She failed, being completely lost for real words as she held his gaze with her eyes. Her mind was whirling in confusion - and a sense of dread was beginning to weigh down the high mood he had put her in with his mere company. Being with someone who did not care for her status had somehow liberated her senses but something was stopping her enjoying it fully.

Alas, the moment was shortlived and the reason for her apprehension became apparent. She spun around instrinctively, sensing something afoot within the royal hall, and spotted the king approaching his chair.

She hurried to the doors and opened them to overhead the end of his fevered outburst:

"There is no blood. I hath not killed them. They are alive, the Memoians. They are alive and I feel they are here!"

Her breath hitched in her throat at the implication.

Slowly, she closed the door, and turned back to Christoph with a knot in her stomach twisting painfully.

"It is official," she announced, hoping her voice wasn't shaking or cracking though it did feel like it was. "I cannot be the woman you deserve to be with tonight. I am not here to meet, or dance, or drink. What I am here for is a dark business that you should not be involved in. You should find someone else." Her eyes prickled as she spoke and in her mind a voice kept repeating that it wasn't fair. Being a Pillar wasn't fair, but it was too important to put anything else above it in priority. She stepped close to Christoph again, but avoided his eyes. "For what it's worth, though: thank you."

She leaned up on her tiptoes and, awkwardly, half-lifted his mask to quickly kiss his cheek - barely a feather's touch. Stupid girl, she thought to herself, Father would be so ashamed.

"Thank you," she murmured, and turned to compose herself before her emotions got the better of her completely so she could walk back into the fray without bloodshot eyes. No doubt the prince would jump at the open opportunity to get away from her confusing world of secrets.

Calliope had dismissed her empty glass of wine and eventually made it to her mother's side. Claymore on her back, she folded her arms and waited. "See, I told you that everything was fine with me." Reassuring queen Prudence, her eyes scanned the crowd. "Have you seen Vincent lately? I have been looking for him, to see if he has seen anything strange."

Prudence glanced over to her daughter and quickly gave her a slight hug. How she had been treated by that fool before, was still in the queen's mind. She noticed Calliope's red cheeks and smiled a bit; wine would take away any sadness for the time being. "He has been around, but Calliope, if anything happens and we cannot find him I would like you to continue your duty." Without having to say so aloud, she was sure that Cal knew what that meant.

If Vincent didn't show up soon, Calliope would be in charge of the entire mission. That would give the girl a perfect opportunity to prove herself.
"Now, I want you to meet some very dear friends of mi--" At that moment, the King came in delirious and very upset. Grabbing onto Cal's hand, she weaved through the crowd and joined their side.

"My friends, please allow my daughter to assist you! Anything you need, she will handle it." Her kind voice was replaced with worry and once she had motioned to her daughter, she quickly stood at attention. Ferius soon arrived at his father's side and Cal could feel her heart skip a beat. It did not show in her eyes, however; there were more important things at hand. She quickly glanced around the room in search of her brother.

"Calliope!" Prudence's voice snapped her out of it and her maroon eyes went blank. Raising her right hand to touch the tattoo on her back, she whispered an Ellorian prayer to the girl. It seemed to put her in a trance. Any other thoughts were wiped from her mind, for the time being. All that mattered were her mother's words. "Protect them with your life." Any other queen would not be so quick to send her daughter to her possible death, but that was how their country flourished.

With their sacrifice and the honor of other kingdoms.

"With my life...." Calliope awaited the rest of her orders, silently; like a mindless marionette.

The queen put her hand on Ferius' shoulder. She didn't know why her son had been in a different costume or who was in his but this was not the time. For the first time in years she put on a face of stern majesty turning to Prudence. "Thanks you. Dear..." she said turning to Calliope "Could you help Ferius take the King to his bed chamders."

Ferius was helping his father up an arm over his shoulders. The king didn't seem to be aware of much of what was happening around him, his eyes dilated and unmoving. "Call the physician to the king's chamber." She queen ordered as they started moving away from the guests and out of the hall.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

In the ornate room they set the king down on the bed as the Physician, just a tunic pulled over his sleeping attire prepared his remedies. "Its best if you waited outside." he told Ferius. "He needs clean air and too many people would rob it of its sustaining power." the old man closed the doors and left the prince alone with Calliope and he gave her a look as if it was all her fault.

Calliope's beautiful eyes were not noticed. She stood there as if to guard the king no matter what. Lowering her gaze from Ferius, she sighed. "It is not my matter. I am only here for protection, I told you that before."
The matters between them made no diffrence. She was not herself.

"Do not look at me like that."

[size=-2]
Christoph could hardly do anything but stand in confused wonder as the beautiful princess kissed him on the cheek, her voice rife with emotions repressed. He felt almost guilty at what he did next, as though he were exerting the power of his size, although his large, muscular frame was more of an idle threat. Without thinking, without hesitation, he reached out for the girl's arm and pulled her in close to his chest, she was daintily light... He had not even a pause to consider it could be dangerous.

"One so winsome could not possibly be involved in anything dark, the king is surely mad. I would prefer you stay here, in case his madness leads to riot or some other violence. I think you're safer out here, I beg you not to go" he had dropped now his mask, letting it fall to the ground in an almost shameful disarray, to reveal his stricken expression. The moonlight glinted off the embellishments, creating an eerie sparkle at his feet of light, as though he had a small crescent of stars before him.

The balcony was awash in the light, silver intoxication that stroked delicate blossoms into concealing their secret treasure and brought the inky silhouettes of flying creatures on the hunt for prey through the night sky. This moonlight was his backdrop, the place where he would plead his case with every ounce of human motivation he possessed. The unearthly glow that his skin adopted, the metallic hue of his hair in the moonlight, everything seemed unnatural and beautiful and strange, all at once to be terrifying to the mind and pleasurable to the spirit.
[/size]

On a balcony outside with Raven disguised as Prince Ferius

Away from the shocked crowed of royals inside, Scarlett was standing on a balcony staring up at the stars alongside the man she thought was Prince Ferius. Her fingers tapped lightly on the marble railing, while her thoughts were a flurry of what to do. What was appropriate? How do you talk to prince and not sound like a whore?

Hell in a handbasket, this dress weighs a thousand pounds. On the brightside, it gave her that wispy, frail look that so many royals seemed to have going for them. Who knew weak women were so attractive.

Scarlett turned to steal a glance at the Prince. With a mask on, it was hard to see his face. She had never seen the prince up close before and many people claimed he was a handsome man. All she could see were his eyes glittering in the dim candlelight. Somewhere deep down inside she was wishing they could have that magical romantic moment. The one little servant girls liked to daydream about. Where you looked in to your princes eyes and immediately felt the tingle of love!

All Scarlett was getting was a big churning of guilt!

"...I'm sorry. I'm a little overwhelmed tonight. You should probably return back inside to your party." Then maybe she could get her head together and target someone a little more her league. Even if her Uncle did pitch a fit.

[Pillar Emeline with Prince Christoph]

The way he touched her was unexpected, not something most had the audacity to do. In fact, she could not remember the last time she was in such close proximity to another. She was surprised at how warm he was and fought the urge to relax into the loose embrace.

She listened to his plea and spared a glance at the mask as it dropped to the floor, the light relfecting off it in a such a beautiful manner she was nearly speechless for a time. After swallowing the lump in her throat, she looked up at his features - handsome, but a little roguish around the edges, his hair framing the face perfectly to the backdrop of the night.

She had to make a choice: remain here, content and safe in a handsome prince's arms or go back inside and begin actively hunting the Memoi heirs she knew were lurking there.

"I am not the one in danger," she told him softly. "And if my father knew I was even considering shirking my duties he would disown me, or worse." Her tone suggested she had managed to calm herself reasonably, though it was still a little hard to breathe. Gently, she moved herself out of his grasp. "Prince Christoph, you are a wonderful man - but I cannot be your Princess Emeline right now. I am needed as the Second Pillar of Faisen, something I..." She trailed off and gathered her nerves, forcing a smile. "I hope we get the chance to meet again, soon. Perhaps later, if my actions before then do not alienate you."

It isn't fair, a voice whispered to her, but she shook her head and told herself to focus. Now wasn't the time to be self-pitying about her lost identity. She gathered her skirts and squatted to retrieve his mask from the ground, admiring its beauty. She handed it to him.

"Do you think you can understand?"

Summer was speechless for a moment as she was forced under Tybalts cape, she was about to say something angrily but something about his tone made her stop. He sounded worried and distrested, she turned to look at Mason "whats going on?" she mouthed to him. When he only shruged in reply she frowned and whispered to Tybalt. "what are you doing?" she tried to get out but was stuck.

Mason shrugged in reply to Summer's question, he didn't know what was going on buthe was going to stand for it. He emerged from under Tybalts cape and faced him., "i don't know what your up to sir but i suggest you release Summer before i have to act." he said calmly but menaciningly.

[On the balcony with Scarlett!]

This was not going as planned. But everything was not lost. If she could do the deed now and sweep the girl off her feet ... the plan would be as good and done and she could hunt down that insolent whelp for failing to do something so simple. Sneaking out of the castle on a night where people--costumed, no less!--were running about! That was child's play! She turned her head away.

"Forgive me, my lady," she said softly. "I meant no disrespect, no offense." She took a step forward and took Scarlett's hand. A heart felt confession of love and admiration. She bowed her head and stroked her knuckles with a thumb. "We have known each other for such a short time and I am ... awkward at these affairs of the heart." She would have to take some liberties, say things the Prince was not likely to say--unless he was drunk. "As I saw you standing there, I wished only for the chance to know you. And now that I would like more of a chance to learn of you, to ... be with you.

"Fairest lady, I must confess. You have stolen my heart and I can only follow it ... Please, will you be my wife? Will you allow me to make you the most happy of women, to care for you and provide for you for the rest of your days?"

[Balcony with Raven dressed as Ferius! ....Still!]

"What?" the high pitched squeak slipped out before she realized it! Scarlette cleared her throat, readjusted her tone. Sure, she could understand all that love at first sight mumbo jumbo. She could even understand infatuation, crushes and lust! ...but he just proposed to her right on the spot!

It was too good to be true!

"I... I would love to, really. But... What about the Queen? The King? What will they think? Or say! You are THE Prince, this is.." Scarlette wasn't sure what to call it. If her Uncle were here, he'd probably slap her and tell her to accept. But if she married the Prince and they found out the truth about her later... it was her off with her head!

[Still with Scarlett!]

At this point Raven was sorely tempted to use magic. She had more important matters to attend to besides coddling some poor wench. But if she wanted the Prince off of her back ... She lowered her head and turned away. "I know. But my father and my mother have wanted me to take responsibility for some time. They wish me to live my own life and make my own decisions. Asking you to marry me ..." She turned around to face her.

"It is the first act I have ever done on my own that I am so sure of. You are a vision, a blessing sent from the stars above. Please, if you will not consent to marry me, at least allow me to demonstrate my love for you, my loyalty." It would be so easy to cast a spell! To sway her mind and her will! But that magic was short lived and would expose her. She had not been here for this long to allow one stupid mistake to ruin things for her!

[Scarlette With Raven dressed as Ferius, having a MAGIC moment!]

Have mercy! The Prince was so sweet, he was really tugging at her heart. His sincerity felt so real, that Scarlette's guilt was overwhelming. It would be so easy to accidentally fall in love with someone that had so much passion in a short single moment.

"Wait..." she said, pulling the mask from her face and stepping close enough to him so she could speak low, and not have anyone come by to overhear them. "Prince Ferius, I'm not... who you think I am. You don't have to try and win my affection, I just... I've got to go back inside." Just her luck. Here she's met a Prince that she really wanted to marry, but to do so would only kill the poor man. ..and herself. Scarlette was shaking her head as she turned away to leave the balcony.

[Tybalt with the Princess Summer and Mason]

"There are assassins here, boy. So bite your tongue." Harold hissed at Mason. The cat was a daemon and would always stand up for its master. Like always, its voice was high pitched, like a young girl's, more so than a male tone. "Silence, all three of you." Tybalt commanded in a commanding voice. "I'll give you the shortened version of the plot. One of the dancers here has been trailing me for quite sometime. If the said person sees anyone with me, that increases the dangers for your lady." That last comment was directed at Mason. "My cape was lined with silver. As any alchemist can tell you magical being cannot alter a pure metal, it cannot sense you two right now." Tybalt then raised his hands, giving both the princess and Mason orders to start heading towards one of the door ways. Even if they refused to move, the cape seemed to force them along until they reached one of the entrances closest to them....

[Watching Scarlett leave ...]

Desperate times called for desperate measures. And these were beginning to look like desperate times, indeed. Raven reached out and took Scarlett's hand, then pulled her toward her and kissed her gently on the lips after tipping the mask up just so in order to allow her to use her mouth. She looked into Scarlett's eyes. "Which is the greater crime? To love the one who loves you, or to deny that love on such trivialities as logic?"

Yes, a "romantic" line and from one of Ferius' favorite pieces, no less. And if this didn't work, there was always magic.

Summer stared at Harold but ignored it, she'd seen worse. She frowned at Tybalt's comment to Mason your lady? im not his lady "hey!" she said as she felt her self being pushed to the entrance despite her best efforts, she may have been pushed to the exit but she wasn't going out. She turned to look at Mason who was speaking to her "Summer we need to get out of here at least for now" She shook her head "Summer..." "I'm not going anywhere, this is getting interesting." Mason suddenly stepped closer to her and grabbed her, softly but firmly by the arm. "Your highness i have been charged with your safety and it is getting strange in here, so we must leave and come back later." Summer was taken aback by his commanding tone and reluctantly agreed but she would be back very soon, as he lead her outside she looked back over her shoulder at Tybalt disappointed to be leaving him and the ball. She pulled away from his grasp and walked to her room ahead of him, she entered her room and shut the door before he caught up with her. Let him think she was mad at him she listened at the door for a few minutes until she heard his retreating footsteps, then she turned to her maid Mia who was standing in the middle of the room looking confused "Your highness?" she asked softly. Summer smiled "its nothing Mia, I'm going out again and you mustn't tell Mason. If he comes to the door tell him I've gone to sleep." With that she turned to the door and after waiting a few moments snuck out and back into the ball, weaving through the crowd she appeared beside Tybalt "didn't think you could get rid of me that easily did you?"

Mason frowned this was getting to strange when he was forced to the exit he approached Summer and tried to convince her to leave but she refused, he grabbed her arm and spoke a bit harshly
"Your highness i have been charged with your safety and it is getting strange in here, so we must leave and come back later." He lead her out regretting what he had said to her, he was hurt when she pulled away from him and shut the door without saying a word. He waited a few minutes and was going to call out to her but sighed and left and walked the halls keeping an eye out for anything weird.

["So." Tybalt said, "You really wish to travel down a path that defies any purely rational or intellectual analysis? So be it, such is the role of your archetype." Summer had found the prince standing near one of the many solid Corinthian styled pillars that adorned the ball room. In his normal causal form, Tybalt was sitting down, staring blankly at the world like he always seemed to do.

He then looked to the right. "I am a Magician, if you haven't already gathered by now."

"Nya? Why are you telling her that? You have never revealed that to anyone before...Well, not this quickly at least..." Harold meowed.

"As if you care, Harold." Tybalt responded back. "Besides, since she's so sure in her ways, it's better that she knows the basics. Right?"

"I guess..."

[Getting KISSED by guy pretending to be a girl pretending to be a prince!]

Scarlette didn't believe in love at first sight. ...but love at first kiss? She might be a believer! Her knees were weak and she was breathless. Holding on to his arms just to keep herself from swooning to the floor. The entire moment was probably the most romantic thing of her entire life. It was the only romantic moment of her entire life!

"It.. um... Okay." Stumbling over her words, 'okay' was the only thing Scarlette could come up with. "Okay. I'll marry you, Ferius."

[size=-2]
It was clear now, she was determined to go, there was nothing he could do to sway her. His hand fell from her arm to his side limply, not even registering that she was giving him his mask from the ground. He searched her face, what he could see of it at any rate. There was sadness there, but it was unfathomable. Soundlessly, he took the mask and turned to face out, his eyes on the moon. It was wide and heavy looking, low as though the weight of it were pulling it from the sky. The beauty of it seemed to contrast with what he was feeling inside. Some part of him wished then to rip it from the heavens for daring to look down on him with that mocking twinkle.

"I forgive you" he said, his voice dull. The glitter of the stars seemed to lose their brilliance and all he could think about was the pool of water that reflected their light. The water in itself would not be beautiful without the light. He was sure the waters were murky and dark, infested with sneaking, biting, shrewd creatures. Still, in this light, the water ebbed and shone like a liquid looking glass. This water, he decided, the water was much like himself. He had fooled himself into believing an untruth, a lie of intimacy and affection. A lie of being wanted.

Christoph leaned against the balcony morosely, slipping the mask back over his face. He had been a fool, naive and trusting. Perhaps his parents had not intended him to learn a lesson, but he had. With a deep breath, he composed himself and strode back into the ballroom. Everywhere he looked, there was a woman dancing gracefully in a dress that radiated like a jewel in the sun. Everywhere there were women - so what if he did not feel the warmth of breath on his face when she spoke, or if he did not stare in wonder at such a lovely face and so bold a personality...

A woman in a white gown with a powdery blue wig caught his eye. She looked unnatural, out of place. He was not attracted to her but rather perhaps a little revolted at her ghastly paleness. Christoph bowed politely before her, the words he spoke were hollow, the request for a dance and something trivial thrown in that made her laugh unpleasantly. A whinny, like a horse. Christoph sighed, realizing that it was not the same in any way to Emeline. Instead of dancing with the woman, he wished he were back at home in the stables, tending to the horses.
[/size]