A Third of American 8th Graders believe Canada a Dictatorship

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Cowboy

You’re gonna carry that weight.
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. Multiple posts per week
  4. 1-3 posts per week
  5. One post per week
  6. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Omnipresent
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Open to anything, but particularly enjoy gothic horror, urban fantasy, science fiction, post-apocalypse, and steampunk.
mountie.jpg

Article:
According to the U.S. government's National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), 33 per cent of American eighth graders currently believe that Canada is a dictatorship.

This finding was one of many revealed by the NCES in its 2014 National Assessment of Educational Progress report when it was released late last month.

canada-us-geography.jpg

This makes me hella laugh!

Article found HERE

As a Canadian, I thought we were a dictatorship until I was about eight. I mean, what's the point of ruling if you don't have absolute power?

Reactions: Minerva
Yeah! That's my country! Woo!

*walks off to die in a hole.*

Reactions: LunaValentine
The conclusion drawn is also blatantly phrased in a sensationalistic and misleading way, given the data it was drawn from. The question doesn't mention the word "dictatorship", and is also asking about the similarities between different countries rather than for facts about one. If the question had been "Is Canada a dictatorship?" the conclusion would be much more valid.

Of course, this doesn't make it any less worrying. It's just a shame that for shoddy education to be taken seriously, one has to exaggerate and mislead so much.

Are you sure this isn't a hoax? I find this rather hard to believe.

If by dictator you mean Poutine, then you're 100% correct.

Are you telling me that it isn't a dictatorship ran by Maple Syrup company CEO's....?

Oh please, the only ruler of absolute power we have is the cold, bipolar bitch that is mother nature.

kitimat-snow.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

Where is your God now, American youths?

The Moose Lord demands sacrifices. The Snow Lord demands painful labor. The Maple God demands absolute worship.

Dictators, not a dictator.

• Love
Reactions: Esmeray
The Moose Lord demands sacrifices. The Snow Lord demands painful labor. The Maple God demands absolute worship.

Dictators, not a dictator.
Which one demands a firstborn child? The French?

We all know the true ruler of Canada is Tim Hortons.

tim-hortons-takeout-cup.jpg

It shows how ineptitude of our oh-so beloved public education system is here in Eagleland.

"Oh yeah let's just throw more money at it instead of actually fixing the problem then soon we'll have everyone believe Peurto Rico is North Korea."

[insert the Picard facepalm meme of choice here]

Canada is far from a dictatorship. Hell, I consider my own nation to be more dictatorial than Canada because Canada does not have the IRS, NSA and other Fascist-style surveillance and overreach coming out of the rotten corruption of DC.

Two of my strongest subjects in school were History and Geography which runs contrary to most kids in school these days. I will admit, however, math was not my strong suite. You throw letters and numbers into one and I'll freak out (ala Algebra). It seems to me the education system is more interested in indoctrinating the youth to be good little communists, worshiping Che Guevara and Karl Marx and shoving the progressive thought down everyone's throats than teaching proper curriculum of science, law, literature, math, health and history.

Oh, so that's why my family went missing after they spoke out against our beaver overlords.

Oh, so that's why my family went missing after they spoke out against our beaver overlords.
The beaver happens to be Illuminati.

I always wondered if that 'home of the free' bit ever led to misconceptions about the state of other countries

I always wondered if that 'home of the free' bit ever led to misconceptions about the state of other countries
Absolutely. There are definitely people (not sure how many, but I've met a few in my life) who think the US is the only place that has freedom. They can't really define what that means and why we're the only ones that have it, but they're pretty convinced of the idea. -_-

• Thank You
Reactions: Minibit
Absolutely. There are definitely people (not sure how many, but I've met a few in my life) who think the US is the only place that has freedom. They can't really define what that means and why we're the only ones that have it, but they're pretty convinced of the idea. -_-
That's... Really quite sad

Status
Not open for further replies.