A Sin of No Name

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
EL BANDITO GUAPO
Screenshot_20191214-141453~2.png
~ the horse pen ~
It was beautiful, the way the noose glided over the stallion's head. Jorge couldn't help but admire it, and a deeply self-satisfied smile tugged at his mouth in much the way he now had the horse's head. Muscles moved instinctively, long practiced with years of horse thieving. He was careful to retain control while still giving the horse a small bit of freedom. It was a slow process, he knew, and already his legs were bracing for the small, measured steps needed to keep the beast focused. A little at a time; that was the way. Move, pull, move, pull, move, pu-

Jorge's first instinct was to think the stallion had somehow swung around and bucked him right in the face. There was red everywhere. He saw red. He tasted red. He smelled red. Hell, he even heard red. His head snapped backwards, and his body followed. Derriere first, the bandito collapsed onto his back, sputtering and cursing and flailing in a way that might possibly have included one or several rude gestures.

Blood filled his mouth, filled his nose, filled everything. Everything except his eyes. His eyes were filled with rage and hatred. Comprehension had finally dawned on him, as to the manner of his sudden and rapid discombobulation, and he was not about to lie down for such an affront.

Jorge stood up, splitting out globs of saliva and spit and a broken tooth. A revolver was in his hand, and it was aimed straight at Mr. Wicks' head.

"Hijo de puta oscuro," he coughed out, red still dribbling from the corner of his mouth. His eyes were narrow and hard. The stallion had been forgotten in favor of the true threat. Thumb on the hammer, he pulled it back, planting his finger on the trigger. "You will regret that."
@Kuno

Last edited:
Fr McCarthy Avatar.jpg
The priest and the stableman reached the stable before Angel deigned to answer Father's question. At first the priest wondered if the man hadn't heard, or was preparing to show it to him, but the quizzical look in his eyes as he took the other horse's reins spoke the truth. He had been thinking, trying to give a better answer than the non-answer of professing he hadn't seen any such creature.

Odd.

"I led her to these stables," he responded, not liking where this conversation was going already. "I gave her a quick rubdown as I've been taught, then left her in, ah, that pen," he said, pointing to one of the two nearest the entrance, blanching to find no obvious trace of its previous occupant. "I hope that be not her."

The bell tolled five times as the two men listened. Angel's offer brought a smile to the priest's face. "That would do. Vespers is soon, anyhow." He would have offered for the other to join him, but the Office had declined in popularity the further west he had travelled. What was celebrated daily in the churches of Mary's Land was muttered in haste out on the frontier. A pity, but not much could be done about it save to pray and preach. Until then, he would follow Angel's lead on searching for the horse and maintaining this strange "curfew." What was this place, a monastery?

Moses | Interactions: Henrietta @Applo & Ms. Whitacur @Kuno | Location: The Saloon ==> The Inn

Moses couldn't help the way his eyes took an adventure and met at the middle, staring down Ms. Whitacur's finger, but he shook off that confusion and surprise posthaste. No matter. He wasn't a man much for flattery; well, less so receiving than giving. He truly did respect this woman and the apparent steel of her backbone just increased that respect.

He nodded. "I hears ya loud and clear, ma'am. I don't mind doubling up my coin." Another in his tailored boots would've thanked God that his services had left him with a hefty sum of finances to set off with, but Moses couldn't bring himself to be all that thankful when glancing in his peripherals too fast made him second think his reality. Was that a scraggly ole farmer hefting hay? Or a barrel prepping to whip into his temple and crack bone? Was that a nappin' pup or a severed leg? Again, he shook off the thought and placed a handful of coins on the bar, well within Ms. Whitacur's reach to snag, and started looping around back to help Henrietta. Damn, he was draining himself of money faster than he would've liked on the first day--

"Hey handsome, could ya do me a small favour? Would ya mind terribly walking my horse over to the inn and tell the owner that I'll be needing a room. Be a shame for me to get there and them have no place for me to lay my head. That would leave me in a real desperate predicament now wouldn't it."

Moses gave pause. He had to swallow back a sigh at the thought of leaving his new drinking buddy to handle all the cleaning. It turned tides in his gut like something fierce, but minus that dreadful night of indigestion. It just wasn't the gentleman way... but she had a damn good point. A valid one. Ain't no way he could let her lay her head on anything other than a proper bed, especially after busting her ass here.

"Well, I..." A pause of hesitation. "Right. Consider it done 'n done. Ain't no manner of predicament to worry over. Oh, before I head on--" Swift and with muscle memory, he whipped out a small card. Crisp and pristine edges, but not without suffering a little oil stain at the corner. A business card for Moses Tailoring. Underneath was a subheading that read Honorary Customer. He placed it near Henrietta. "Keep that on ya when I upstart me business around here. Can get you a fine discount."

With that, he presented the women a quick bow of parting and left the saloon. He couldn't help but squint at the heat beating down on him, squinting against the harsh lights and avoiding eye contact with most others. If not all. He done went and used up his social skills like a glutton while dealing with Perry. Ole dastardly drunk... but at least he was a hell of a storyteller.

Moses kept on his way until reaching the Inn and entered, eyes searching for an employee. "Hello? Anybody in for some business? Gotta get a room or two."

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo
Na Zhao
Chinese Herbalist and Fortune Teller
@Kuno @Mobley Eats

She felt an immediate and apparent discomfort hearing the man guffaw. The Chinese immigrant thought hard and long about the words she had said. Did she ask for something... stupid? Had she made an idiot of herself to the first people she had seen? Her English was quite good, but nevertheless there was always the nagging thought that she did not make sense to the people to whom she spoke. From what she could gather, her question was not taken with derision, but rather with true mirth-- though why this should amuse rather than provoke a straight answer continued to elude her.

A bell chimed the hour, the quality of its ringing off-color and jilted. She turned, as if she could see the source of the noise. Her eyes cut to the red-haired man at the counter and his Native wife, and she nodded slowly.

"I shall perhaps do this, then, if rooms are already prepared for us travelers. If ever you are in need of herbal healing... please, do come see me," Na stated demurely, and with that, she gave a short curtsy and nod of the head, respectively to the man of the shop and his near-silent wife.

Swallowing, she walked out into the blazing sun, just now beginning to dip towards the horizon. Had so much time passed already? It hadn't felt like afternoon when she had come, but perhaps she had spent more of her time than she needed preparing her wagon. It very nearly physically hurt to spend her precious cash, but they had been adamant.

And besides. She wanted a bath. A nice, hot, real bath.

The Chinese traveler picked up a few things from her wagon, putting them in her carpetbag, before making for the inn. Walking through the doors with cautious steps, she saw that there was already a man of some mixed descent looking for the employees of said establishment. She gripped her bag tight, white-knuckled, as she realized that they were alone.

"Is... Is there anyone here? It seems empty," Na stated quietly. However, she could hear footsteps above, perhaps on the approach. It seemed they would not be left to fend for themselves for too terribly long.

Eczar

THE SALOON

PERRY THE DRUNK | NPC

Ms. Whitacur was not one to waste time. As Henrietta settled her accommodations for the night, the old woman had all but disappeared, only to return a moment later with mop and bucket in hand.

"Here." She shoved the utensils at the younger woman, and the water in the bucket sloshed against the sides. "Get cleaning, and you might be done before opening."

She herself tended to the more important task: taking an inventory of what Perry had so unfortunately pilfered. As the list grew, the old woman's frown only deepened, until she was all but glowering a hole into the deep, sanded wood.

It seemed enough to get her tongue wagging.

"So I'm supposed to impress these young Sallies coming into town. Well how do you do? Bet you're glad to know we're all stocked on supplies just to get you folks to stick around. And Lord help me if I don't agree with Perry's thievin'. It's what's owed, goddammit, but he took it at my expense. The mayor'll know-"

She was cut off by the cacophonous rush of galloping horses outside. She clamped her lips shut as the sheriff and an unidentified gentleman raced by, her eyes following the duo as long as they could. At length, she resumed her wipe-down of the counter, the same surly expression returning to her face.

"So. High and mighty townies want to come West? Well?" She exclaimed sharply, abruptly fixing Henrietta with her piercing gaze. "Besides making a damned fool of yourself, what are you good for? Can you sing? Cook? Entertain? Out with it, young lady."

@Applo

Eczar

THE INN

ELIZA | NPC

Much like the previous occupants of the Inn lobby, customer service was found to be sorely lacking indeed.

The main floor of the Inn may as well have been empty. Old Man Worth slept lightly behind the counter in his corner, a shuddering breath escaping his mouth in time with the ticking of the clock. The voices of new strangers were apparently not enough to wake him up, and a snore emanated from him as the combined noise reached the second floor.

It was her saving grace. Unexpectedly spared from further discourse, Eliza ducked her head and hurried away down back to the lobby. Rather naively, she expected David to follow. All but skipping down the stairs, she wasted no time in addressing the two new faces in the lobby.

"Welcome to West Inn, how can- oh."

At once spying the Innkeeper sleeping in the corner, she held a callused finger to her lips, immediately following silent. Her eyes roved over the old man's still form, and she clucked her tongue at the ring of keys at his waistband.

"Stupid old m-" She started to whisper before nearly clamping down on her tongue as Worth suddenly stirred. He fell lifeless once more, and Eliza, gnawing anxiously at her lip, slowly slipped off her shoes. For all her rough talk, she seemed afraid to wake the man.

Very quietly, she whispered, "Down the hall to right, supper's ready. In the kitchen. I'll get your rooms ready in the meantime."

The shoes were pushed quietly behind her socked feet. With gingerly placed steps, she approached the Inn counter, her eyes riveted to the treasure ahead. A sudden snort sputtered from Worth's lungs, and she froze in her pursuit. With agonizing slowness she reached for the keys, and as her small hands curled around her prize, she finally turned to look at the strangers, stark relief plain on her face.

Behind her, Old Man Worth's eyes were small slits - and watching her all the while.

Should the newcomers heed the young girl's direction, they would find the so-called kitchen further down the hall. Small and mundane, it held four dining tables, each adequate enough to hold five persons at once, and a tiny fireplace and kettle. Through a side door lay a small storage for dried meats and assorted produce. Within the kettle, a dark beef stew sat warmed by the fire. Abutting lay a small counter topped with a collection of mismatched bowls and spoons. Dinner was apparently self-served.

There was a peculiar structure occupying the far right corner of the room. A table lay upright and jammed against what appeared to be the back kitchen door; several barrels and chairs had been piled against and around it, and the makeshift buttress was tied together several times around with a rough-hewn cord of rope. Perhaps the strangest thing of all was the item perched at the very top: a faux white flag, made from a white shirt tied to a piece of post, hung jauntily from the apex. It resembled a sign of surrender…

Strange.

@Doctor Jax @The Wanderer @Mobley Eats

Last edited:
Eczar

THE STABLES

WICKS & ANGEL | NPC

The black man stood tall, his shadow stretching long across the red Utah mud. An indomitable figure borne of the same ruthless, Western machine that continued to roll through its citizens undaunted. He watched with cruel intent as the Mexican stumbled and fell, and he stepped closer, the agitated mustang in the corner since forgotten.

There was time to draw his own weapon, but for whatever reason, Mr. Wicks merely allowed his left hand to rest on the holster, even as he came to stare down the barrel of a gun. His lip curled back in a sneer.

"All you bastards the same. Brag a whole lotta stuff, but can't take a damn punch. Can't stand for no count, neither. Tuh."

The words shot out of his mouth like bullets. Wicks spat off to the side, contempt plain on his face as he took another step closer to Jorge, staring him down hard.

"Gon' 'head. Shoot me," He jeered, thumping his forehead emphatically. "Right here. Aquí mismo. Comprendes, bitch? Go on and pull it."

In the foreground, a subtle noise echoed across the lonely town. It sounded like the thundering of hooves. At length its progenitor was made known: the sheriff, riding hard towards the stables, another tanned rider close on his heels.

---------------------

Where the stables ended and the palisade stood behind, Angel and Father McCarthy emerged once more into the sunlit, wholly ignorant of the tense exchange happening in the enclosure behind.

Angel regarded the father with keen interest.

"Let's check over by the post office." He offered a soft smile. "Sometimes Wicks will put an extra horse or two and give 'em room to meander. Stafford don't mind much."

The quick crunch of his footsteps soon filled the present silence. Together, both men approached the post office. Outside, sitting right before the wide, decrepit porch. A large, hulking form laid strewn across the ground in front of it. Squinting, Angel put a hand up to slow McCarthy's approach, but it was too late; his eyes finally made sense of the thing that awaited them, and he wheeled towards the older man.

"Father-"

But the carcass stood in stark relief, despite Angel's warning. It was what looked to be a medium-sized mare, reddish brown in color, propped up against the side of the post office porch like a garish warning. Large, jagged slashes ran across its slack torso, blood dried and pooled beneath its swollen side. The horses' eyes were rolled heavenward, locked in an eternal, frightening gaze.

"Jesus." There was a sharp intake of breath from the fair-colored man, and he looked askance at the priest besides him. "Father, I-"

His eyes were blue as the midday sky. They stretched wide, his mouth opening and closing as he grasped for the right words.

"Father," He finally exhaled, toying with his hands, "Listen, maybe a animal or somethin' tore through. This ain't her, is it?"

@Red Thunder
@Hamlowe
[/div]

Na Zhao

@Kuno @Mobley Eats

The herbalist stood there with unease on her mind as she eyed the other man in the room. He didn't seem -- dangerous, per se. But it was untoward to have a man in the room with you, alone. She wouldn't have it said that her reputation was less than sterling, and so she chose to purposefully stand closer to the desk, hands around her carpet bag. However, that worry was quickly dispelled with the arrival of what appeared to be the inn's keeper, another young woman. She did slightly perk up at that, though it became evident there was also a man, elderly and asleep.

She grit her teeth in a grimace as the woman seemed intent to get his keys off his belt. Should they not... put a blanket over him? Help him out in any fashion? He was an elder, after all, and this seemed highly disrespectful of someone with such venerated age. Nevertheless, this was not her establishment. She followed the young woman instead to the door, sparing a glance back towards the elderly man asleep in the corner, and she found his eyes cracked only a bit. Quickly, without the notice of the innkeeper, she gave him a curt bow, hands pressed together. He might not understand the reverence, but she felt it necessary to apologize for the faux pas.

With that, she scurried into the kitchen after the woman, and the sight before her was... shocking, to say the least. There was dinner, yes, but there was also a barricade. She recognized one when she saw one. Her eyes lingered upon it for some time, a most unsettling feeling taking root.

She needed to leave this place. Tomorrow morning, she would hitch up the oxen and ride out of here for the nearest settlement. She did not like this a single bit. Her gut was jumping, her skin perspiring despite being indoors.

"I only wish to stay the night, madam. I have the coin to pay. Should I pay before eating?" Na asked, before glancing at the other man, then back to the innkeeper.

EL BANDITO GUAPO
~ the horse pen ~​

Had he been paying attention, perhaps Jorge Esteban Villacruz del Rios would have noticed the even more pertinent threat in the far distance. Maybe he would have dropped his gun immediately, retreating in the face of the approaching law. Maybe he would have left the palisade completely, running to hide in the hotel or some similar dark hole. But the sheriff was as yet still distant, and the brown man only had eyes for the black man before him; El gringo didn't matter at all.

Jorge lowered the pistol, as if forcing his arm toward the ground. His trigger finger played against the guard, not ready to shoot but undeniably still considering the idea. Finally, steel met leather, and the gun slid in with a hiss. Grunting, he turned right, as if to walk away.

As soon as his first foot planted, he whipped about, right arm cocked back more tightly than his pistol hammer. His body twisted, contorting into a sweeping curve, as Jorge leaned to his left. His fist followed, finding or at least seeking purchase in Mr. Wicks' nose. Shooting him was too easy, too quick. Too unsatisfactory. Fire lanced through his fingers, up his arm, and into his shoulder. Every last ounce of his weight was behind it. Blood stained spit rained into the arid breeze as he shouted.

"¡Maldito hijo de puta oscuro! ¡Te arrancaré los ojos!" God damn dark motherfucker! I'll tear your eyes out!

Knuckles went white as Henrietta's hands tightened around the mop handle. Ms. Whitacur's direct approach to life was beginning to grate on her nerves and the temptation to smack the old bag over the head was growing. It would probably stop her getting a job, with people like the saloon's owner such things weren't always so clear cut, but it would be damn satisfying. Annoyingly, a seed of respect for the woman was also sprouting in Henrietta's soul.

"I can dance, I can sing, I can sling cards and I can cook a stew well enough, Mam." The words that flew from Henrietta's tongue were laced with just a hint of fire and venom. There was no one to fool. Both her and Ms. Whitacur could see each other for what they were and Henrietta wasn't about to let the woman bully her into some sort of submission. "I've worked in Saloons between here and Kansas City and never had any complaints about my services. Oh and I can shoot the flies off a horses ass too."

The last statement was stretching the truth more than a little but it felt good to push back. Placing the mop down, the red-head pulled her prized deringer from the top of her boot and carefully placed it on the bar next to Ms. Whitacur's six shooter. The squat little pistol actually shone and conspired to make the battered old revolver look even more beaten up.

"I even keep mine loaded."

Point made for now, Henrietta reclaimed the mop from where she had left and resumed the tedious task she had been given. After a few moments, the part of her mind that had forever been changed by living as an outlaw stumbled over something the saloon owner had said.

"Now tell me, why would you go to the mayor about thieving and not the sheriff? That was him that rode past just now wasn't it?"​

Last edited:
Fr McCarthy Avatar.jpg

The post office seemed an eminently sensible place to let a horse be, but Father McCarthy wondered why this town would give them that freedom and keep its human residents under a borderline monastic leash. It was all quite strange.

Also strange—for a moment, anyway—was how Angel suddenly tried to bar his progress. The attempted impedance pushed the priest to sidle past and see the grisly tableau. The mare's ruddy coat was unmistakable, and the great bloodstains upon her haunches just as distinct. He approached carefully, noting the strange shape of the fatal wounds, like tremendous claws—infernal claws.

"This is," he finally forced out, more revolted than aggrieved. "What sort of animal does this?" He turned to Angel. "You live here, don't you?

Moses | Interactions: Eliza @Kuno & Na @Doctor Jax | Location: The Inn

Well... This was a mighty unique set up, if Moses had anything to say about it. Watching some woman tip toe about an old man's slumbering form, just to snag up some keys for their customers? What was all that about? He reckoned they were both employees, or maybe one a worker and the other a groggy owner? Either way, they oughtta had the same goal in mind--reel in the money, keep that money. Why sneak the keys? Well, then again, Moses could run with the thought that awakening this elderly man from a nap equated to prodding the hide of a grizzly during hibernation. But still...

Didn't matter. Snakes would rattle their tails at a tumbleweed rolling by, but he was a man so internally drained that not even the sight of that could stir up a call for action within him. Aside from going the other way. He couldn't do that, though. For now, he followed and kept his mouth shut. Moses patiently waited for the other woman--(She was in the cart too... Definitely a different type in these parts. But I doubt it'll hurt the world to get a bit more variety and perspective round here.)--to trail down the hallway first, then tagged along with a respectable distance between them. A hand was already diving into his pockets, scooping up damn near the last of his coin as he took in the buffet set out before him.

"I hope bandwagon hoppin' isn't a problem around here, but I'm wondering the same as the miss," Moses nodded towards the Asian woman, though his gaze remained locked onto Madam Sticky Fingers, "We paying before supper or after? I'd feel better about getting the transaction done as soon as possible. Oh--also. I'll need to pay for two rooms tonight. One for me, another of ya finest for a miss Henrietta. Ya can't miss her. If it cost extra for a better bed, I'll cover it." Despite the truth behind those words, Moses had a hunch that reserving a room for a single name, one without a surname, at that, wouldn't be enough. His jaw shifted in thought. "When she come in, just ask her for my card as confirmation. Moses Tailoring. Don't nobody else got it but her."

It was only when Moses relieved his conscience of purchasing Henrietta's room that he noticed the elephant of the one they were in. Table and chairs and barrels. Stacked and packed against the door. Barricaded in. A white flag of surrender perched on top. A once pristine and crisp white stained with dirt and muck and bodily fluids and gushing splatters of crimson and entrails, the sting of ash and powder burning his nostrils raw, cracked palms clawing his way up out of trenches and barking for backup as he the second wave riddled his comrades with blistering craters of--

"Ma'am, I don't think I caught your name." Moses's voice was level, but maybe not without a hitch of a stutter in the middle somewhere. The polite grin bloomed to life and hung from his lips like a blue feller's noose. Belonging. Reluctantly so. Either way, his Ma taught him his manners and he'd be damned to leave this Asian woman nameless in his own mind. "Moses. Pleasure. Am I overstepping here if I ask for ya company at... well..." A tired wave to the buffet and bowls. "Eating?"

• Spicy
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Kuno and Applo
Eczar

THE TWILIGHT

CITIZENS OF HIGHLAND

Every day has its end. Every train, its final station. For the natives of Highland, they knew when it was time to stop. Life in the town had fallen into a familiar pattern: as the sun continued its hurried descent from the sky, what little activity continued onwards began to find their conclusion. Shops closed. Doors shut. The frantic movement from business to home could not be obfuscated by a certain Mr. James' cheerful whistle, and his wife struggled to keep pace with his long stride in spite of the tight grip on her arm.

Things had yet to end near the stables.

The punch glanced and skittered off Wicks' granite-like skin like a rubber ball springing from a brick wall. The flesh moved minutely; with a hard sniff, Wicks' face appeared once again untouched. Though he had indeed cajoled the man into action, something like disappointment lay on his face.

"Shoulda shot me." He chuckled darkly, the light in his eyes temporary. "Man, you shoulda shot me."

He raised a large, life-ending fist-

"HOLD IT!"

The sheriff's voice boomed towards them with sudden urgency. As the calvary rushed upon them in a clattering of hooves and shouts, a taut smile graced Wicks' face. He lowered his arm; as Sheriff Cotting and his unnamed associate scaled the fence quickly, the black man, with feigned demureness, stepped aside and let the other two step in.

It appeared there was another townsperson to rival Wicks in size. The white man who came to lean lazily against the fence was both tall and wide, stocky in a sense of unmeasured strength barely concealed by his buttoned vest, long black pants, and dark overcoat. But where Wicks' features stayed twisted into a constant scowl, the other's face displayed a bland neutralness entirely disproportionate to the tension hanging in the air. The sheriff was made small standing between the two of them, but he was certainly the most dangerous: in his hand was raised a long and silver pistol, and its point aimed straight for Jorge's heart.

The old man appeared incensed.

"To think I let you into my town," He said through gritted teeth. "And you've got a warrant after ya. A warrant. If it weren't for the wanted sheet on my desk, I might've put you up in the Inn too."

He spat off to the side.
"Samuel!"

"Sure thing."

Detaching himself from the fence, Samuel approached Jorge with a slow gait. A pair of silver handcuffs hung loosely from his fingers.

As he forcibly placed the Mexican's hands through the slots, he spoke, his voice deep and languid.

"Wicks, why didn't you shoot him?"

Wick's eyes cut to Cotting, but he said nothing. Samuel tracked the movement, and he gave a knowing nod of the head, returning his eyes down to Jorge's hands. With a satisfying clink, the cuffs locked up around the man's wrists, and Samuel winked at Jorge.

"You ought to feel lucky, boy. Between him and Angel, Wicks here's one of the fastest draws in Highland. Ain't never seen nothing like it."

The soft tuh that came out of Mr. Wicks's lips was like the snorting of a horse. Chuckling at the man's ignorant dismissal, Samuel grabbed his prisoner roughly by the arm, and Wicks grabbed the other.

"C'mon. Let's get you squared away in a cell. You've got a nice, hot meal waiting for you…"

Along the way, a Mr. Marcus Taylor was collected as well. For all his eagerness to help, the young man had appeared stricken by Father Mac's line of questioning.

"Well, Father, maybe...maybe a pack of wolves or a, uh, a cougar-" He swiped the hat from his head, and long brown locks were pushed back and away from his sweating forehead. "Father, look, I-"

A shrill whistle beckoned him to the sheriff's side. Glancing frantically from the group of men to the priest then back, the young man swallowed, backing away slowly.

"I'll get you a new horse tomorrow, Father. I swear on my mother's grave. Just…I'll see after the horse. Better get on home, alright?"

With that, he turned and hurried away, catching up to the trio of men and the prisoner in their hold.

----------------------------

At the Saloon, the send-off for Henrietta was just as dismissive, if not far more abrasive. The young woman had earned an appreciative nod from Ms. Whitacur. A small smile graced the old saloon owner's face.

"Heh. Guess you're not as addled in the head as I thought. Clever girl."

Her hands sought out the legs of a bar stool, and she dragged it towards her, sitting upon it in a slow manner fitting to her age. She took her sweet time speaking again.

"Yeah, that was him." Gnarled fingers reached for the last bottle of liquor left on the countertop. Pouring herself a drink, she glanced sideways at Henrietta. The other question the girl had asked still hung in the air. Ms. Whitacur appeared to mull over it a bit, and she took a sip from her drink.

"Come back for work tomorrow," the old woman finally grunted, setting her glass down. "Put the damn mop down; I'll finish up."

Should Henrietta object, she would find the woman entirely obstinate. There was little choice left but to go to the Inn, where both the promise of meals and a good rest awaited her…

------------------------------

With every newcomer - save the unfortunate Jorge - comfortably situated at the Inn, the meal was laid out in a humble fashion. Despite its bland appearance, the stew served was surprisingly delicious. Eliza proved to be an attentive hostess.

All attempts to give payment to her were vehemently rebuffed. The girl talked so fast that even native English speakers might have had trouble understanding her, but at length the general gist of her words became clear: the mayor had opted to cover their first night there. He was apparently a very generous man.

Apparently, Eliza mocked in a bullying way mastered by adolescents.

When their meals were finished, each customer was taken to their private rooms. Much like David's room, the furnishings were simple, yet adequate. In Moses' room in particular, he would find a note and a key laying upon his bed. The paper smelled faintly of coal, and the writing upon it was cryptic and jagged:

KEEPSAKE FOR THE KEEPER​
There was nothing left to read on it.

Outside, the day waned. Night blanketed the streets of Highland in a thick darkness. Perhaps the last to be seen on the out and about was Sheriff Cotting. He was still at his post at the Highland's jail when Eliza came running with two wrapped meals: one for Jorge, and one for her Pa, as she so excitedly called Cotting upon laying eyes on him. Together, father and daughter made their way down the streets, and at long last, Highland fell into a deep and restful silence.

So ended the newcomer's first day in Highland.

@Red Thunder @Hamlowe @Applo @Doctor Jax @Mobley Eats

Alfa
Eczar
Waiting for the Sunrise

DAY TWO

Strange noises persisted through the night. Though faint, they were hard to fully discern. They came sporadically and relentlessly in the first three hours of the night: pitchless whistling, the crack of something breaking or perhaps a gunshot, the sound of animals growling or- no, a man's low, gravelly baritone. Those awakened by such sounds would find the town deathly silent, and, half-conscious, one wondered if these noises were instead just the hallucinations of a paranoid mind in an unfamiliar place.

But the morning came soon enough and with it a peace of mind. Downstairs in the Inn, labored footsteps could be heard as Old Man Worth returned to his post in the lobby. The chopping of vegetables could be faintly heard from the dining room; someone was preparing a meal, and a large one at that. The smell that accompanied it was pleasant

A gift had been slipped under each guest's door. It was essentially a summons; in bold, elegant font, the paper read: "THE MAYOR CORDIALLY INVITES YOU TO JOIN HIM AT HIS OFFICE. OPPORTUNITIES FORTHCOMING." Perhaps intentionally, a time was not provided for this impromptu meeting.

Outside, little things had disappeared overnight. The mustang was gone from the rough palisade. So too had the dead mare been removed from before the post office, true to Angel's words. A small, burgundy carriage sloped against the laundry building with no horse attached to its front, and someone had propped wooden crates in front of it instead.

At the town jail, the accommodations made were more than any common criminal deserved. Though the cell was small, holding only a small cot and bucket in the corner, the linen was clean and freshly pressed, and the cell smelled as if it had been vigorously cleaned. On the ground by the cot, a tray bearing breakfast and a pitcher of water sat for the as of yet sleeping bandit. Jorge wasn't alone; where the sheriff had previously sat at his desk only a night before, another man had taken up residency, and alongside him Samuel sat with a cup of coffee in his hand.

The stranger was a man with agreeable and sun-kissed features. He held a youthful visage, though the salt and pepper coloring of his hair betrayed his advanced, middling age. A white cowboy hat sat upon his head, and his attire was varying hues of grey, light and brilliant against the dark backdrop of the town jail. He sat legs spread wide, a large newspaper propped up against the desk, and he hummed to himself as he read through the latest news.

Na Zhao

The following night did not sit well with Na.

The dinner was delicious, yes, and the company was... nice, to say the least. Mister Moses had seemed quite the collected man, a tailor by trade, and there was of course Miss Henrietta who had come to stay as well, and her, Na... did not like nearly so well. She had been demure at dinner, choosing to remain quiet rather than pollute the air with further conversation. Besides, it was almost impossible for her to understand Eliza at all, with her running mouth, fast as a brook.

And anyways, she did not plan on staying much longer. She was a woman who followed her gut, and she was intent on leaving as soon as she could manage. She appreciated the mayor's generosity, but she was beginning to think the town was bait, and she, the fish. She did not wish to see who was behind the rod. In the morning, she headed down the stairs with her bags already packed, to seek out Miss Eliza for further directions to another town, and below she smelled cooking food, the familiar sound of chopping vegetables.

Her stomach growled lightly, and she colored, arms crossing her stomach. Well... before vacating, perhaps it would be smart to get a good meal. Though, heaven knew where they were getting the ingredients, given how barren the general store had been. Unsure of what to do, as it seemed the meal wasn't done, she stood in the lobby. Perhaps one of the other tenants would come down, and she could ask them directions instead...

EL BANDITO GUAPO
~ the jailhouse ~
It was, for every single complaint and curse and condemnation he might otherwise have wanted to spew forth on the nearest target of such vehemence, the nicest, deepest, and most comfortable sleep Jorge had taken in many, many years. Fingers interlaced, he glared daggers into the ceiling above, stoking the hate-fire inside that these utter bastards should actually seek to make him comfortable, particularly after the rough way he'd been forced into the cuffs the night prior. The brow was pinched tightly, and his mustache very nearly hid his entire mouth, it was pursed so tightly. Only the sound of scraping metal that signaled his breakfast interrupted the rather uncreative ideas he was considering for killing his captors.

"Pendejo," he muttered at whatever bastard had broken his revelry. Sleep had left him in the early hours of the morning, only a few minutes past daybreak: no bed however comfortable could break years of habitual rising with the sun. Save now, he merely lay in bed, lacking anything whatsoever with which to occupy himself.

No; that wasn't true. He could eat. It had been at least three days since the bandito had a full meal, and even the small mouthfuls he'd managed yesterday before arriving at this hellhole was long since gone. Not that he'd have known it; they'd even changed his pisspot in the night.

Groaning, or rather, grumbling Mexican curses and insults beneath his breath, Jorge swung his legs over the bed edge and sat up. With the measured caution of a cornered animal, he eased down and retrieved his food before retreating back to his cot to consume it.
@Kuno

The ornate invitation looked out of place in the simply furnished room. As with her's and Ms. Whitacur's guns the evening before, Henrietta couldn't help but feel the Mayor's summon's made what was quite a respectable little room, at least for those who hadn't seen better, look shabbier and more sparse than it really was. It also, to the redhead's eyes, made the selection of dresses she had spread across the bed seem a little down at heel. Yesterday's clothes had been disregarded already. They were traveling clothes, not for meeting a town official in. As ever, first impressions mattered. This was doubly true for the mayor. Opportunities may have already forthcome for her in Highland, but that didn't mean there wouldn't be more to take advantage of.

In the end the saloon girl plumped for a low-cut emerald green dress that he had bought her not to long before the evening that had led to her winding up in highland. Cut lower than her parents would think acceptable around the neck, but not so low as to make her look like a working girl, the dress was if nothing else, the least worn of Henrietta's options; and therefore the best for meeting the mayor in. The hooped skirt meant that when she finally finished adorning herself, she didn't do anything as mundane as walk the corridors, but rather the redhead swept through them; and did so with all the airs and graces of European lady.

Rather less noblely, the direction of Henrietta's brazen strutting was directed by her stomach. Dinner last night had been good and whatever was cooking now smelt better and she homed in on the source. She wasn't surprised to see another of the inn guests had already had a similar idea. It was just a shame that it was that Chinese girl, Naw or Nar or something similarly strange and not Moses. Moses was quite entertaining. Henrietta couldn't recall if Nar had said anything at all last night. Maybe they didn't speak much English. Lots of her kind didn't. Either way the woman looked lost as a whore in a church.

"Good morning my darling. How did you sleep? "The words came out slower than was usual for the saloon girl and bore the well practiced and readily available charm of the best dressed kind of criminal. "Did you receive an invitation from the mayor?"​

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kuno and Doctor Jax
Na Zhao

The Chinese herbalist waited patiently for someone to come down and allow her into the kitchen, but it seemed that she would be here waiting for a bit. Her bags were already packed near her feet. Her thoughts were consumed with questions: why would the mayor wish to speak with them all? Why was the land here so cheap, yet the town feel this empty? And the way the general store was cleaned out, the barricade on the door... Her thoughts continued in circles. She was prone to thinking overly deep about things she oughtn't.

But she couldn't help recalling that she had cast an I-Ching reading for herself when she had been in her room, consulting it.

Three coins, cast six times. Heads mean 2 -- Tails mean 3. Together, whatever they show, added up, mean a line - old yin, old yang, young yin, young yang. This time, all of the lines are 'young', unchanging. A single hexagram, to be read. A trigram numbering 12.

And an ominous reading.

Standstill. Evil people do not further
The perseverance of the superior man.
The great departs; the small approaches.

She was abruptly pulled from her thoughts, as someone came up to her. Her eyes looked the woman up and down, and abruptly she felt some... judgment. Perhaps that was a strong word. She seemed very free with herself. The slow way she spoke was not anything new to her. What was her name? Henrietta. She had been at dinner, and she recalled her seeming rather talkative, the opposite of a demure woman. At the very least, she seemed... friendly, but she knew that 'friendly' for women could often hide something more malicious. Nevertheless, no one could say Na Zhao was rude.

"Yes, I slept well," she stated with a slight accent, lying fluidly. "I did receive an invitation, yes. I do not know what the mayor may want with one like me. And besides... I believe I may be leaving. I do not wish to stay. Do you plan to go to his meeting?"

Her voice was soft, her manner womanly but unassuming-- a perfect Chinese daughter, had she not ruined that chance. It seemed she was ever chasing that demeanor long after it would have done her good to maintain it.

@Applo

Moses | Interactions: Henrietta @Applo and Na @Doctor Jax | Location: The Inn

The Night Before

Moses didn't dare let his feet drag until he reached his room. Today wasn't all that long nor all that filled with strife and yet, everything about it had whittled down his spirit to bone shards. Perry the Drunk flinging anecdotes and rosy cheeks over the counter, fleeing with their coin like a rabid bandicoot, then tip-toeing around the authoritative grace of a Ms. Whitacur. Gun in hand, chin to the ceiling, and eyes looking down on Moses like, well, dog shit, if he had anything to say about it. Took all of his will power then and there not to subconsciously fix his hair and straighten his vest, the itch of judgement setting off a fierce insecurity down his spine. He never considered encountering all that mischief on the first day, but that's what made him out to be the biggest fool of all. Perhaps Highland's tenants had every right to put Moses's gut senses through the ringer. Perhaps they had every right to yank the rug out from under his poorly prepared loafers.

And then came that barricade... It damn near wrecked him. Just one glance was all it took to shake him up from head to toe. Pathetic. He'd do better--after a night of rest.

Thus, when Moses found the note and key on his bed, he was a hop and skip away from groaning in pure misery. "What now...?" He skimmed the message. Short and sweet--well, minus the sweet, plus the scent of coal. That didn't make a lick of sense to him and as he glanced about his room, suspicion racing up his spine, a piece of information jumped to the forefront of his mind. That Perry fellow. He mentioned something about the mines and a circus rolling through in the cloak of night.

"Youse outta know. Ain't no clowns in Brigg's town. Just some good old fashioned devils. They'll be here 'round dark, Perry thinks. Yeah. The circus rolls on. Hoo boy, does it move."

A breeze finally wafted through the batwing doors, and the wood seemed to exhale. He poured Moses and Henrietta another drink, before taking another himself.

"Rolled right on through the mines too. Yessir, done went and cleared the sum'a bitches out. Oop-" He removed his hat hurriedly, winking at Henrietta. "Sorry."

Not Moses's monkeys. Not his circus. He refused to let himself get tangled up in these hogwash riddles. Jaw clenched tight and eyes cold, he chucked the note and key onto a bedside table, stripped out of his outer garments, and forced his way into bed like an insomniac force-fed ten pounds of caffeine. Restless. Buzzing. Ghosts and whispers of thoughts looming about the back of his skull, taunting him to toil and tumble over that godforsaken note until many hours past sunset.

Morning

Safe to say that Moses slept like a babe in a soiled diaper. Fretfully. Without a single good wink in his repertoire. To his credit, his freshly dressed self, combed hair, and perfect yet aloof posture cloaked the exhaustion well. The dull glaze in his eyes and the bags underneath them spoke otherwise, just a gentle sagging of the skin that could be tossed up to unfortunate looks, but they didn't match all that well with his youthful features.

Dammit... Goddammit.

Just as he was starting to move into the 5-hour range, Highland swooped in and ruined his sleep schedule's rocky progress. No matter, he'd save that struggle for another version of himself later tonight. For now, this version of Moses was starving and his stomach rumbled in resounding agreement. He made way for the door. Then froze. Turned back to his bedside table, where that damnable note and key rested...

A crinkle. Beneath his loafer.

Curiosity furrowed his brow like an accordion. Where in Sam Hell did this even come from? Moses was a bit embarrassed that it had dodged his attention up until now. He snatched up the letter and read the contents out loud, each syllable colored a shade of skepticism darker than the last. "The mayor cordially invites you to join him at his office... Opportunities forthcoming?" Good news, for sure. If there was one cruel thing life taught Moses, it was that all good things came with a price, whether it'd be long or short term. Didn't mean that he couldn't indulge, however; he'd just keep a vigilant eye about himself, per usual.

Thus, his attention fell back to the very top of his Suspicions List--the note and key. "...I'mma regret this somewhere. Always do." With a sigh, he tucked them into his breast pocket and followed the heavenly scent, letter in hand. The smell wasn't elegant, wasn't complex with more spices than the fingers on his hands, but it sat warm and heavy on the back of his tongue like a sweet promise. Or was that just drool building? Probably both. Moses used to have the appetite of a wolf when he was knee-high, but plenty of wooden spoon whacks to the knuckles and hindquarters from Ma set manners into him like a whip lashing... Bad metaphor, Moses. Now see? This was what a lack of sleep did to 'em. Ripped the filter clean off his thoughts and let the miasma leak through. That was no good for a gentleman.

Moses pulled from his self-belittlement when a familiar face hit his ears. Two women, one of them being a Miss Henrietta and the other Miss Na, seemed to be conversing. A quick glimpse and--...ah. Yes. One-sided, then. Moses could tell by the lack of movement of Na's lips, while Henrietta's dangerous swagger seemed to have been cranked up to a thousand. Moses nearly shook his head in exasperation, like he was huffing air at the antics of a longtime friend rather than a woman he'd just met the day before.

"Morning to both you, ladies," he greeted and internally winced at the tiredness dragging down his tone by the ankles. He cleared his throat and continued in hopes of sounding a bit more upbeat. He waved the letter. "Will I be seeing either of you for the mayor's," his brow hiked up, oozing a gentle sarcasm, "Opportunities?" As an afterthought, awareness blossomed and he looked down at Na's bags. Oh... Hm. Well, nice to know there was another with senses like his own. "Well, I'm guessing them bags there are answer enough," he chuckled, but the smile failed to reach his eyes.

A twitch of the lips, but he held back. There was no need roping them into his anxieties about the "Keepsake for the Keeper" situation. But then again... "Either of you... ever fancy the thought of touring this town more? After settling down a good bit, get yourself rooted into something comfortable I mean. I'm looking to do so. Maybe a stroll through the store, give that ole Perry's stories a shot and visit the mines." He shrugged. "Curios Cat won't let go of me til I do."

Fr McCarthy Avatar.jpg

Sleep did not bring rest for the young priest. There was so much left unknown in this town. He said Compline in his quarters by the church and set out for the inn after Matins-Lauds. He'd broken fast there before, and it seemed prudent to do so again this morning. He wore his cassock as typical, with the black Stetson in lieu of a saturno he'd never gotten.

The mare was gone, not merely the carcass but any trace of blood on the earth. Had he not witnessed her yesterday, Father McCarthy might have sworn that no such animal had existed in Highland. It was strange and troubling, to be sure. Yet another unknown. God protect him.

As early as he had arrived, still he found he was preceded by two women and a man, none of whom he could particularly recall from the westward caravan. The ruddy-haired woman with the green dress obviously intended to catch the eyes of men such as this swarthy fellow, while the Oriental woman seemed more detached. From what the priest had heard, that was a typical and understandable attitude amongst those people. Matter of fact, it was a trifle odd that she should be so far from any other Chinese enclave. Perhaps she was headed to San Francisco? To what end?

And more importantly, why were they all standing here?

"Pardon," he interrupted, not really feeling sorry about it, "But are we all waiting for breakfast, or am I in the wrong place?"

Eczar

HIGHLAND JAIL

NPCS | SAMUEL & ???

Breakfast for Jorge was once again a testament to the town's unusual hospitality: scotch hash and johnny cakes and a crisp slice of salted pork. The coffee was hot enough to scald the unsuspecting tongue, but it was fresh and strong, and that's all that really mattered.

Samuel and his tastefully dressed companion did not stir, save for the occasional flick of a paper and sip of coffee. The stranger did not spare Jorge a glance until, as the man was finishing his meal, he rose from his seat. Samuel watched idly as the man dragged his chair from around his desk and sat it about two feet away from in front of the cell bars, and there he sat, knotting his hands atop of his slight girth.

There was a lull of silence before he finally spoke.

"You'll have to excuse the lengthy delay of introductions, for I sorely do detest to interrupt a man's breakfast."

He smoothed his wrinkle-free shirt with his left hand.

"I am frightfully aware of a certain miscommunication mishap that occurred some hours ago, thus confining you within this cell of which I must make known my fervent regret over. Nevertheless, concessions will be appropriated to you henceforth, but oh- I digress. Where are my manners? My sense of civility? My denomination is Bartholomew Briggs, the democratically appointed mayor of Highland."

There was a prevailing thought that the man was the sad consequences of someone absorbing a thesaurus and dictionary and vomiting out its pretentious contents. The words were clunky, ill-used, and unnecessarily grating to hear. To most, it was physically painful to endure the mayor's words. A sentiment was once expressed of the desire to tear one's ears off.

Mayor Briggs smiled, shaking his head in mock ruefulness. Behind him, Samuel's face was the picture of long-suffering.

"Now as I have been made privy to, you are a man thought irredeemable before the courts of this great nation. But I'm a firm believer in second chances. I am keen on rehabilitating things and such. Right, Samuel?"

The grunt that came from behind was distracted. Samuel had gone to peering out the window, staring at the building activity in the streets.

The mayor's eyes were overly bright, and they studied Jorge with pointed interest.

"So com-pa-dre. What sounds more agreeable to you: working here in Highland, or the rope?"

@Red Thunder

Eczar

THE INN

NPCS | OLD MAN WORTH & ELIZA

The swell of conversation building in the Inn's lobby brought life to the still wooden room. The floorboards creaked, the foyer softly reverberated, and the wizened bag of bones known as Old Man Worth peered up from his post behind the desk.

There was of yet no evidence to prove the innkeeper was of any contribution to the Inn whatsoever. Even then, his usefulness escaped the eye; in his hands he clutched an old patchwork quilt, and had the voices of the newcomers not stirred him to action, it seemed very evident that he would have settled in to take a nap.

There was a scrape as the old man pushed up and away from his chair. Gnarled knuckles pressed into the lobby counter as he leaned upon it heavily, glancing about his guests with a spark of interest. He licked his dry lips.

Eagle-like, his head turned left towards the hallway. He sucked in a deep breath.

"ELIZA!"

The shout that clawed from his throat was at odds with his small, frail frame. It split the lull of silence like the crack of thunder. In its wake, the old man clung to the counter as if that alone had seeped all of his energy. Still, his lips parted once more, ready to give another loud call at a moment's notice.

Thankfully, there was no need for him to shout again. Footsteps could be heard plodding towards them from the end of the hall, and at last the girl in question emerged before the group.

"Ah, there you are." Old Man Worth resumed his croaking murmur, and he nodded his head in sync with his words. "Our guests are hungry. Have you finished cooking?"

"Yessir."

Eliza was smiling. In fact, she had yet to cease smiling from the moment of her appearance. It would have presented a pleasing, welcoming visage if not juxtaposed with the reddened swelling of her eyes. The assault of tears on her skin had been heavy...and recent. They had dried by now, but the lower lids remained puffy and inflamed, like angry little bee stings.

"Ah. Good girl." The old innkeeper did not notice the troubling sight, but this seemed more in part to the fine sheen of cataracts over his pupils. Still, his head swiveled to face the odd group even as Eliza remained in place. "We have breakfast waiting in the dining hall. Please, if you are hungry, go and enjoy."

He paused.

"Eliza, did you-"

"Yessir." The teenager nodded enthusiastically. "Everyone of them. Everyone got an invitation."

"Good, good…"

Eliza extended a hand towards the dining hall. Her cheery expression had yet to dissipate, and she locked eyes with Na in particular.

"Please have a meal before you go. I'd hate for all that food to go to waste."

@Hamlowe @Applo @Doctor Jax @Mobley Eats

Last edited: