A Door Within A Door

Anya was panicked. The ship had lost control just for a moment, but for Anya it had felt like forever. She was in full panic mode now. She decided to head back to her room for a little bit, catch her breath and get her head on straight.

I shouldn't have come here I shouldn't have come here I shouldn't have come here.

As she kept mumbling to herself over and over, the sense of dread in her belly grew. The shore was too far away to see now, and there was no way to turn back. As Anya repeated this mantra to herself, she stumbled over something.

A...book? Maybe someone lost this.

Anya picked it up and began to look it over. As she did this, she heard someone's footsteps grow closer to her.

Elijah thought he hear girl's voice but before he could stop and actually turn around he heard another voice. It was horse and it made Eli shudder before he turned to see that there was no one there. He knew he wasn't hearing thing and his body had that cold feeling still running through his body. He didn't move for a moment but instead just stood and looked around for a quick moment. The only thing that snapped him out of his trance was the fact that he was still hungry and his stomach was growling. Opening the bag of chips he ate some and then continued on strolling through the boat. People were obviously hungry as well and made there way to where the food was being held.

He thought about following them to the food but he wasn't really hungry after eating his chips. "Hmm I guess ill jus-". Out of know where the ship started moving, the noise was loud and Elijah had to grip into the railing to keep himself steady from falling over. When the captain said a wave that took them by surprise, Elijah released a sigh and then regained his balance before he walked around some more. His body was still jittery from the ships movement but it wasn't going to stop him from exploring the ship.

Last edited:
"da...f*q was that..." Anke thought getting up after being hit by a huge guy who made her lost balance and fall on the ground. The guy was not so quick on his feet but Anke didn't fe;t obliged to help the poor fellow. Instead, she grabbed the young sailor who was just passing by, checking for everyone if they were okey.

Grabbing poor boy's collar, she stick her nose to his and cried out: "WHAT WAS THAT?" lost and unable to say something, the sailor started to mumble when the ship's radio helped him just in time.

-We are sorry for that, a rogue wave took us by surprise. Again, we are sorry.-

-
Listen... I'm here to rest and have some fun, so tell your captain... no more of those rogue waves will be tolerated - she shot straight into confused guy's face and after second of realizing how stupid it have sounded giggled and let the collar free.

- sorry... sorry pal... all on nerves these day. - she told young sailor and even fixed his uniform, then looking down at the fat guy who was observing the whole scene with wide open eyes, added - give me your hand Mister, unless you plan to spend all your cruise rolling on the floor here...

Katerina was lucky enough to have just stumbled inside before the wave crashed into the ship, sending her into a wall. She let out a yelp as she lost her balance and slid to the floor. She looked around at the other people, most of them having done the same thing she did. She shakily stood up and brushed herself off as the captain came on the loud speaker to announce the wave.

Good think I came in when I did... I probably would have gone over if I had still been at the table...

Once she was sure her body was in working order, she went to the nearest person and helped them get back on their feet.

The sun beat down on Lloyds forehead, but the ocean's breeze cooled it. The salt in the air slowly turning his hair into beach hair. His hair absorbed the heat and warmed his scalp, it was a pleasant feeling. he tuned out the murmur of everyone on deck, beginning to listen to the wind whip around chairs and tree's on deck, mesmerized by the gentle crashing of the waves against the hull of the ship.

Gradually the crashing waves became more rhythmic, and less wet sounding.

Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick.​
He felt something cold against his index finger. His eyes snapped open. His finger was curled around the trigger of a .38 revolver. He knew the gun was loaded. Underneath his leather shoes was old oaken flooring, much of it stained and rotting, the varnish worn off decades prior. Termite holes pock-marked the floors.

Lloyd turned round, realizing what he had been leaning on, a very old, very loud grandfather clock. Upon closer inspection it appeared to be almost ten feet high, it was supported by eight feet, gnarled knuckles and serrated claws. He looked farther up the clock, it was obvious hundreds of hours of fine craftsmanship was put into carving the wood, Cherry, by his reckoning, stained a dark, dark red. The thin crevices in it were black, from close to 200 years of grime. Grotesque images were etched into the face of the wood; a gargoyle ; a minotaur holding a disembodied heart in his clawed fist; a crested sea serpent eating a group of sailors; a monstrous whale like creature with set of fins after set of fins after set of fins, covered in barnacle-like growths, its wide set mouth engulfing a hapless galleon.

His gaze continued to wander upwards, the casing of the clock face was asymmetrical, a tangle of seaweed hiding beasts of the sea circled up one side, the other a large anchor and chain wound its way around the face of the clock. At the top a gruesome image, a head seeming half human, half cuttle-fish leered, a blackish looking sap oozed slightly between one of the tendrils that formed on its face. Underneath the mass of grabbers a sharp looking beak posed, half open.​
He looked at the clock face, the mother-of-pearl backing was yellowing from age. He saw the cast iron hands on the clock moving, becoming arms. The numbers danced and became illegible, they were effigies of an epoch to come, but Lloyd could not comprehend them. The face began to spin becoming a dark swirl. Like watching a horror movie on late night TV, he tried to avert his eyes, but couldn't help but become fixated. He remembered a quote from Nietzsche;​
and when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you
He felt an overwhelming sense of fear. A droplet of water hit his face. The spinning hands of the clock were now a whirlpool, black angry waters, they spat in his face. A vast sea gushed out of the face of the clock towards him. The heart of the clock opened, revealing the flooded clockwork inside. He was engulfed instantly. He could see through the water, the cogs turn, and the pendulum swing.​
BWONG....BWONG....BWONG....BWONG....
He opened his eyes. Through several feet of water he could see a great shining orb. Chlorine stung at his corneas. He closed his eyes, exhaling, letting himself sink. The soles of his leather shoes were flat on the blue and green tile lining the pool. He let his knee's bend slightly. Then he pushed. He shot to the surface of the water. A young man in red swim trunks scooped him up farther out of the water, draping him over the edge of the pool. Lloyd spat a mouthful of water out, gasped, filling his lungs with cool air and hoisted himself up and out.​
"Was I sleep walking?" He queried after a few more breaths. The lifeguard was already examining him for any injuries, fingering through his hair looking for any lesions.​
"No," He said hesitantly. "A rogue wave hit the ship, it hit us pretty hard. How's your vision? Do you know what day it is?" He held a hand in front of Lloyds face, two fingers and a thumb extended.​
"Three fingers? And unless I slept out here an entire night, its still the first day of the cruise." Lloyd said. With that the lifeguard darted off to check on the rest of the people milling about the back deck.​
Lloyd stood; water poured from the holes in his prosthesis. He glanced towards the bottom of the pool, looking for hi sunglasses. No where in sight. They'll find them. Might as well go change and go to the bar. He took a towel from one of the over-turned deck chairs, draped it around himself, and began to drip back to his suite. He stripped down, and jumped in the shower. Washing the chlorine out of his hair with the warm water. He hung up his wet clothes on the towel rack in the bathroom, called room service to get some rice delivered to put his phone in, hoping it wasn't completely ruined. He fished in his pants pocket for his wallet, which was stuffed into a pocket in his dry pants. His hand slipped into the other pocket, feeling for his lucky coin, which he found, along with something more. He opened his hand, bull's-head side of the coin facing upwards. Along with something else, a strange token he'd never seen before.​
Hello. And where might you be from?
OOC: This is what I imagine the clock sounding like​

Last edited by a moderator:
(God-modding some actions in order to progress)

The rest of the evening went without any real recourse. Several patrons found themselves in the company of others and strangely, everyone finds themselves in the same area for some late night games. A handful of you had all met during the wave incident and had helped each other out while some of you were just here for the shits and giggles right now, relaxing after an exciting first day. You found out over the course of a handful of hours as you were relaxing that you all had something in common: this strange, black stone in your pockets. It felt warmer the closer you all were to each other. It was hard to decipher what they were for but they were all uniform triangles, perfectly symmetrical. You all decided that someone slipped it into your pockets as a prank and shrugged it off for the most part.

So, here you all are, sitting around this table and playing some cards, tossing some light bets and all in all having a good time together. The night was progressing fine and the hours were getting late and you were all getting ready to head to your bunks for the evening when something happened that made you all wonder if this was to be a regular occurrence...

GROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
The ship lurched violently again, this time tilting much farther than before. Everyone found themselves on the ground and sliding towards the other end of the ship and screams could be heard throughout the entirety of the ship. For a moment, it seemed like the ship was going to roll and everyone was going to die but it slowly righted itself. Bells started ringing throughout the ship, indicating some people went over the railing and the constant Thrum Thrum Thrum of the engine died as the ship brought itself to a halt.

Everyone got up and collected all their stuff from off the ground and everyone notices that their stones are glowing faintly....interesting. But there was too much commotion to worry about it at that second and rescue crews could be seen rushing about the decks of the ship and tossing rope ladders over the railing to help people get back up.

"This is the captain, I am sorry for the wave that just hit us. We would like everyone on the ship to remain indoors for the rest of the day as to prevent further acci--What the hell is that?" The intercom cut out.

GREOOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRRRRRNNNNNNNNN
The noise sounded strange and alien and distant. The engines of the ship could be heard spooling up...and fast. Whatever was going on was prompting a fast getaway. Curious, everyone makes their way to a window to see what the hell is going on...only to see a black shadow looming in the distance.

The thing was standing up out of the water, waves upon waves of water rolling off of the arms and back of this monstrosity. Overhead, the clouds swarmed in, bringing hard rain and lightning. Through one of the flashes, the creature could be seen barreling its way towards the ship before diving underwater again.

A handful of moments later, the ship lurched again...

GROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNERRRANNNKKRRNNKKK
The sound of metal rending and tearing its way from the ship was rather noticable and the warning bells on the ship started going off. Being humans and ever-so curious, everyone makes their way onto the deck of the ship because that is obviously the safest place to be. Looking around, there was nothing. Not until a loud splash was heard from the front of the ship, to which everyone looked. What they saw scared the shit out of them.

call_of_cthulhu_dagon.jpg

The creature roared and gouged three large scars in the ship before diving back under the water.

Then it was quiet...

Katerina watched the scene unfold with her new acquaintances with wide, terrified eyes. She was too frightened to scream but in the excitement of racing to the deck she had pulled her camera from her bag and put it into video mode, thinking she might catch something. Although she didn't watch through the view finder, her trusty camera had picked up every moment the beast had lingered, looming over the deck. She had no idea what she had just seen and her body trembled. Remembering to breathe she looked around at the others.

"Y- you all saw that too... R- right?"

Anke ended on the floor like everyone else. Some poker chips and money as well as playing cards went down from the rolling tables to the floor. People knocked off, tackling each other and cursing were rolling on the floor as well.

Anke jumped up one of the first. "will this ever end... I didn't came here to sink with this ship, god damn it" she shouted before hearing the familiar voice of the captain again:

"This is the captain, I am sorry for the wave that just hit us. We would like everyone on the ship to remain indoors for the rest of the day as to prevent further acci--What the hell is that?"
People gathered at the window. One of them was Katerina - curious girl who Anke met moments ago. She was holding her camera and her eyes were getting wider with any second passing by. Anke moved couple of people away, making her way to the window and looking through, froze in a total shock:
"what the... bloody... freaking... hell... is... that..." she slowly turned her head toward Katerina and whispered: "I hope your camera is on"

Anya was terrified. She had thought that having to interact with a bunch of strangers was bad, but this was...unprecedented.

What. The. Hell.

She saw two of the other girls talking to each other, and decided that safety in numbers would be the best bet.

"Katerina? Anke? What....what the hell was that? That's not normal for the sea, right?"

I knew I never should have gotten on this cruise.

Anya looked around at the other passengers.

Her pace grew frantic; the book was nowhere to be found. If anything were to happen to it, she would be extremely devastated; there were important notes she scribbled in there, not to mention the amount of research--

GROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

The ship swayed once more, this time, more violent than the previous one. Despite being somewhat efficient with balance, Gwynn lacked the grace and agility of an acrobat; she fell to her side with a loud, painful thud and tumbled backwards. Above her, she heard the sounds of things falling and the thudding of heavy objects. There were cries above where she was tumbling about, both in surprise and fear; and the bells, it keeps ringing.

What the hell is happening!?

In the midst of all that, something managed to sneak out from the pocket of her jacket. Her eyes caught sight of it, and for a very brief moment, contemplated on whether to snatch it in the air, or to leave it be.

"You would look a gift horse in the mouth?" she heard Morpheus's voice echoed her mind.

"What if this isn't the right one?"

"Then you return to your normal life, and none of this ever happened."

Her hand, somewhat outstretched, caught that something; a black stone, perfectly cut in its triangular shape. It was glowing; dim but noticeable.

And the ship came to a sudden halt after all that mess. She heard the engine die when it stopped.

"This is the captain, I am sorry for the wave that just hit us. We would like everyone on the ship to remain indoors for the rest of the day as to prevent further acci--What the hell is that?" The intercom cut out.
A roar, Gwynn heard, a roar so loud and deafening; it was not of this world. There was a brief moment of peace in her mind, with dream-Morpheus's words echoing once more, and the ship lurched again. She almost tumbled, but this time, she managed to grab hold of one of the door handles of the many cabins that were in that corridor. She heard a whimpering, and realised it was coming from herself.​
"I'm sorry I stole it!" she cried, thinking this was the last moments of her life, "I didn't mean to! I can't help it! I just wanted something, something magical and wonderful like those things! I wanted to believe in something, so I had to see it for myself! Experience it! I wanted to give it back, I do! I just wanted to know if it was real..."​
GROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNERRRANNNKKRRNNKKK​
Oh god oh god something's tearing through the ship oh god oh god why am I here oh god oh god
She closed her eyes shut, fearing the worst.​
Then, as mysterious as it was when it first happened, the groaning and the roar disappeared; silence filled the air, not even the waters were making a sound. She feared she must have gone deaf from all that, but when Gwynn tried knocking on the cabin door she was holding on to, she heard its hollow thunk. Good, she was still fine.​
But whatever that was I just heard, I don't want to know.
She got up rather shakily and moved towards the turning that would eventually lead her towards the deck.​
I'm going to find the captain, get a lifeboat, and go back to the museum.
"Then you return to your normal life, and none of this ever happened," she remembered his words, again.​
Gwynn continued walking on, ignoring those words; she wanted to be out of here very badly.​
"You would look a gift horse in the mouth?"
And she paused at that. She felt the stone in her hand; it was still there, glowing ever so faintly. It was perfect, much like the artifacts she has stolen from the museum a long time ago, but there were doubts in her mind. None of the things she had ever stolen gave her such a feeling. She almost wanted to throw it away...​
...but she was also extremely curious.​
Gwynn shoved the stone into her pocket and made her way to her initial destination; the ship's deck.​

Image of the beast stood still in front of Anke's eyes long after it was already gone. She barely heard Anya's voice, asking If it was normal sight to the sea or no. Reactions differed greatly. Woman fainted just next to Anke and another guy crawled to the corner of the room, grabbed his hair and started to violently pull them off. Couple of tourists started to panic, calling for help.

Anke slowly turned her head toward Anya long after she asked her question and stated: "No... It... it is not normal... and not only for sea..." Making few steps more, she fixed the chair back into it's natural position and fell on it. Feeling something in her pocket, Anke put out the glowing triangular stone from there and looked at Katerina and Anya again.

"All right girls... you look real deal smarter than me... anybody understands what is going on here?"

Katerina shook her head in response to Anke's question, not understanding at all. She was fiddling with her camera, trying to see what it managed to catch. Her eyes grew wide as she watched the monster again on the tiny screen.

"My God... I- it's almost all here. Kind of a bad angle but maybe it will help..." Trails off, offering the camera to Anke.

The deck was probably the best and the worst place to be when she heard the loud, otherworldly groan not too long ago. The people there were staring blankly at the edge of the deck, which seemed to have been damaged by something big. They were probably stunned, still trying to recover from the shock of what had just happened.

"But what did they see?" she murmured, walking further into the deck area.

There was a group of women standing nearby each other, in conversation. Normally, Gwynn was not the type to ask questions from total strangers, often preferring her own deductions and conclusions over the delusions of others. But her eyes caught one of them holding a camera in her hands with a rather horrified look to her face, and another on a chair with something glowing in her hand; it was oddly similar to the one that was in Gwynn's pocket.

She walked towards them, reaching into her pocket for her stone; "Hey there," she grinned and managed a small wave, "That's some fancy stone you got there. Mind if I take a look?"

From where she stood, she was able to sneak a peek at the camera in the other girl's hands. But that was probably not a good idea.

She has only ever saw them in passing, and never went any further than that. But it was enough for her to recognise some of them through the very few illustrations and explanations they had of them...

Dagon.

"Holy mother of Jesus," Gwynn backed away a little bit, somewhat refusing to believe what she had just seen in the girl's camera, but at the same time, somewhat excited, "That was what you saw just now?"

*Adam sat in his room, playing on his laptop.*

The room was dark, a small amount of light coming from the laptop managed to just about illuminate his face. All exterior sound was cancelled out by his headphones, having smuggled his plateful of food back to his room, and making a preemptive toilet stop before starting, He was well into a long intense night of video games. A surprisingly familiar sensation broke his concentration.

*He flew sideways into the wall, hitting his head on the door handle.*

This one was much worse, his room fell pitch black as the laptop fell off the desk, shutting as it collided with the floor. The room was spinning, a piercing pain pulsated through my head.

*Adam rolled once or twice as the ship leveled itself.*

A slither of light crept under the door from the corridor, and a strange rock lay on the floor beside him, it seemed to have an unnatural glow, like a glow stick that was past its best.

*Holding his head with one hand and picking up the stone with the other, he raised himself to his feet. Taking his hand off of his head he reached for the light, missing twice before flicking it on. then looking at his hand in horror.*

Bloody hand prints surrounded the switch, smeared on the wall. My blood? now dripping down my cheek the answer was apparent. I didn't bring any plasters, but would a plaster even suffice?

*Adam shoved the strange stone into his pocket and stumbled out of his room, his vision was blurred and walking staggered.*

No time to take anything with me, it will all be safe in my room, besides this cruise was an all inclusive bargain so who needs a phone or wallet. The canteen would have tissues but the walk is quite long, the deck was just round here on the right I think, there's bound to be somebody who can help me.

* As the ship tipped a third time, Adam once again tumbled to the floor, this time managing to curl up defensively as he was flung sideways in the corridor.*

This is ridiculous. Is it going to go all the way over? Is this the end? That didn't sound like the normal creaking of metal, it sounded like Godzilla was being played through a concert level sound system. Probably just my imagination, I have slightly more impending issues to worry about.

*He looks at his hand still coated in blood, he stumbled further down the corridor and burst through the door to the deck, know on his knees he looked up.*

What in the world is that.

*His eyes rolled back as he briefly lost consciousness, hitting the floor with a thump. Laying limp at the entrance to the deck.*

The next minute or so was seen whenever his eyes weren't too heavy to open, the sound seemed muffled and people seemed to be just staring in awe. The feeling of weakness overpowered my will to get up.