A Dance with Danger

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
He flipped a hand dramatically. "Pish posh," he said. "He's aware you're coming and that you're a gypsy. You travel a lot. It's nothing new," he said with a smile. A warm, killer, inviting smile. "Besides, I think you look pretty good in ripped up clothes. It fits your little frame."

Before long, the blue fool managed to catch up, dodging through the crowd and cautious. "Hello," he said gallantly, and Denye turned to face him. "I saw you creeping in and terrorizing the village's children," he said with a sarcastic grin.

Denye turned and clapped his hands together. "Denji! James, this is Denji."

The blue fool brought his white, glowing eyes down on James, and bent down a little to match his height for a moment while he took in his scent. "Warm," he said slowly, and then stood back up straight. "Very pleased to meet you," he said giddily.

That little voice in the back of his head started screaming at him again. Something wasn't right. Here he was in a different world almost. But there was FOOD here what could go wrong in staying? He looked up at the taller men with their grins, their evil needle toothed grins. There was something behind their pale eyes that worried him, was it hunger?

He shook his head out of his thoughts and then seen the two men staring at him. "Pleased to meet you too, Denji." Was that his voice shaking? Why was he scared? All he wanted was the food.

(((omg your sig about the sugar. it reminds me of that rp we started awhile ago XD)))

Denye felt his stomach growl again, and bent his body to try and hide the sound before it escaped. He didn't want to have to explain to the boy how he never ate human food. Well... at least not in the literal sense. Denji straightened. He'd heard it. His long, pointed ears picked up everything as well as his nose did. He flashed Denye a quick smile, and then motioned to the tables.

People had begun sitting down, gathering small bits of things on their plates at a time to make room for seconds. The king greeted his guests, and the hall got quiet. Denye brought James and Denji to the front and sat on either side of the king. James was free to choose which he sat by, Denye or Denji. The nobles gossiped and whispered before the king finally spoke.

"Greetings my friends," he said with a smile, and then motioned toward James, "and guests. Since the Apple Festival is around the corner, I decided to gather everybody together for a feast before we celebrate the harvest celebration with the peasants and lower lords. We have a lot of things going on, and if anyone has any ideas for the festival itself, well... that's why we're here!" He shouted loudly, and held up his goblet. All around the table, Denye included, folks rose their goblets in the air and cheered. "Festivities are what our city is known for. We have our gypsies to thank for some of that," he said, and gestured to James sitting at the front of the table. A few of the nobles shot Denye a cautious look as they cheered. "So let's eat, and then we'll discuss some event themes and ideas!"

James decided to sit by Denye. He listened to the King speak and filled his plate very quickly. 'Behave yourself you idiot!' His conscience yelled at him. 'You're in the presence of nobility!' The first bite of the delicious meat made his stomach lurch uncomfortably. It had been a few days without food and it sure as hell was going to let him know. But after the next few bites, he started to eat a bit quicker. The food was delicious and mead was being served. He grabbed his goblet and took just a few swigs. Mead made him do things he would never do otherwise.

(((sorry short)))

Denye caught sight of him from the corner of his eye, and suppressed a smile. It reminded him of his own hunger. He filled his goblet with wine, and sipped it, ignoring the food present at the table. King Albin noticed his and Denji's ignorance, and offered them something of sugary value. The spike of extra energy was enough to stave off their hunger, unlike most other foods. Denye smiled politely, and refused.

Denji however, accepted a sugar donut, and chewed on it slowly, keeping a predator's eye on Denye as he did so. When his brother got up from the table, he fully planned to do so as well.

The meal went quick. Nobles chewed and ate their food with some gusto, gabbing and having conversations on the side while the king brought up some important topics with his guards and soldiers. Laughter and merriment swirled in the air, setting the atmosphere bright and cheery. If the boy was full, there was a chance he'd be too sluggish after the meal to run. Denye swirled the wine in his goblet, and smiled into it broadly.

Mouthful after mouthful he swallowed of the glorious food. But soon he filled himself to the point of exhaustion. He knew this was the end of the dinner and realizing that a punishment was due for him after his master found out he left, he felt depressed. He didn't want to go back to the caravan. He looked over at Denye and Denji and realized that they both were looking at him. Had they eaten? He hadn't paid any attention really. But the look of pure hunger was in their eyes.

"Guys?"

Denye smiled in response. "You looked a little upset their, lad. I'm guessing Old Man Grisly is going to whip you good for coming out here? I could tell he wasn't a very jolly fellow," he joked. "You can stay in my quarters if you want. My brother plans on coming over later tonight to play a weekly game of cards, and we could teach you to play if you like."

The blue fool grinned, and chuckled. "He's terrible at cards, don't let the fact we're jesters fool you. He's awful at poker-faces."

The red jester smiled in return. "Actually, I very much am. So I cheat. The card games we play are rarely ever fair, and sometimes they can get pretty nasty if we spark up some insults along the way." He glanced at Denji. "What do you have to play for? I've got a silver necklace I slipped off a noble's neck earlier this evening."

"I've got a gold ring."

He smiled. "Perfect. Off we go then? Don't worry boy, we won't tell the master. If anything, I'll pay him a visit later to teach him a lesson in manners." Denji flashed him an eager glance, and then looked back to his plate.

James smirked. "Cards? You two are talking to a gypsy. If anything we can cheat just as good as you guys." He stood up. "Yeah, i'll go with you guys and play. Maybe i'll even not go back to the caravan. That stupid fuck doesn't need me." His full stomach was starting to make him sleepy, and unnaturally confident. "And since we're betting, I have a diamond necklace from the bitch across from me." He winked.

Denji nodded his head in approval, and laughed quietly into his hand, peeking beside him at the table at the lady who was clearly missing her necklace. She hadn't even noticed, and was continuing to talk to her lady friend beside her. Denye raised both his eyebrows. "I clearly underestimated gypsies and their knack for sleight of hand," he said with a wide smile.

Albin rose to his feet, and tapped his glass with his spoon. Since the meal was over and they were close to their conversation about the festival, Denye rose to his feet and nodded to his king, who eyed James with almost an apologetic half-smile. "Yes, you three are excused. There's not much interesting to talk about anyway here," he said with a low chuckle.

Denji smiled and rose as well, taking his place by his brothers side. He locked arms with James, and Denye took James' other arm. A few of the other nobles watched them go, some with sheepish eyes, others with evil smiles, and another that almost looked horrified. "Shall we?" The red fool leaned into his ear, brushing his cheek with his own.

James felt himself blush and then unlocked arms. "Just a moment." He grinned and finished off his mead of goblet. "Now I'm ready." He linked arms once again and let him be led. 'Are you serious? Why are you letting them lead you? Has years of abuse really let you believe they will do no harm to you?' his conscience started to scream. But soon the buzz of the mead started and he grinned like an idiot. 'Sure, let's follow them.' His conscience relented with the seduction from the alcohol.

They led him to a grand hall, and up two floors. Denye's room was the last room on the right of the hall, and Denji's was directly across. His entire living space was decorated in gold, red and white, and the windows were thrown open to allow the moonlight and stars to shine in. The breeze blew the large, velvet, red curtains into the air, and Denye collapsed onto his large, canopy bed grandly. He held his arms out wide for James to join him.

Denji smiled, and dragged out a table from the corner of the room, setting a white cloth on it to protect the surface, and then pulled a deck of cards from off of the vanity mirror. "Let's play."

James looked over at the inviting Denye and then over at the set up table. "Pull out your wages, boys." He knew that could be taken a few ways, but the mead was fully setting in and his conscience had become silent. He sat on a chair and pulled out the glittering necklace. "I hope I win, that would look gorgeous around my neck." He put it up to his neck for them to see. Placing it on the table he looked at the design on the back of the cards. "These are different. Hand made?"

Denji nodded, and sat down. "I'm a bit of an artist," he said, and shuffled the deck, placing it between his fingers and folding them in a bridge. Denye rose to his feet, and wandered over to where they sat, preparing himself. He could already feel his mouth water. He pulled out the silver necklace, and Denji laid out the gold ring.

"Clean game, men," Denye said snidely, and then awaited Denji to deal the hand out. When all players had seven cards, they looked into their hands. Denye inwardly winced. Denji held a flat expression, and watched everyone else for traces of a giveaway.

Denji smiled. "The game is called Magic Man. Dealer lays down a card. Everyone lays down a card that matches the dealers card, whether it be color, number, or suit. Folks who don't have one to match draw from the deck until they do. The one who loses all their hand wins. The loser gets a little surprise." He laid a five of spades down on the table. Denye laid a two of clubs.

James looked at his hand. It was nothing really extraordinary. He saw a king of hearts that he knew he wanted to get rid of. He glanced at the other two and hoped his face wasn't showing his hand. He picked up a eight of clubs and put it on top of Denye's. With the size of the deck and the size of their hands there was no telling how long this game was going to last. But he knew he wanted to win, naturally. The jewelry on the table was enough to get him to the next kingdom and start anew. He watched Denji put down a card, and he smiled.

"The game is on."

The game came back around to Denji, who gawked at his hand, and pulled out an eight of hearts. "Suit change, fellas," he said with a grin. Denye thought hard, winced again, and drew five more cards before he came across a five of diamonds.

"Damn," he sputtered with a chuckle.

James rolled his eyes. He didn't have ANYTHING that matched. So after drawing only two cards he placed a matching card. "Stop changing the suit, you asshole." He took a glance over at the jewelry. 'Soon you'll be mine.' He leaned down and picked up the goblet of mead he has stolen from the table and took a long drink. "I'm going to regret drinking this shit."

His comment made Denye look up at Denji with a raw smile. Denji knowingly smiled back, in clear view of the boy and without restraint. "Alcohol does strange things, does it not? I've always preferred wine personally. I love the fruity flavor rather than honey." The blue fool laid another matching card, and Denye swore aloud now, drawing another three cards before laying a fourth match. "I'm going to hog tie you and gut you like the pig you are," he snarled at his brother.

Denji only smiled in sarcastic smugness, and then turned to the boy with a wave of a clawed hand. "You're turn, cutie."

(i apologize for the delay)

James blinked at the 'hog tie' comment and looked at the card on the pile. He didn't have anything that matched it. With a small groan he ended up drawing four cards before a matching one was obtained.

"Cutie?" He scoffed. "Are you sure you haven't had any mead?" He took another drink. "I've got plenty in this goblet if you want a sip." He winked then he showed a face of mock surprise. "Oh! I forgot, you're a wine person. More for me." He chuckled and winked.

(It's alright, I wasn't on much either. And ew, I fixed a glaring typo.)

Denji smiled, a narrow, long smile where only his top fangs hung over his lip. "That's alright, I wouldn't drink it anyway. Nasty aftertaste it has, I'd rather stick to fruit." He stood, and rose to a cabinet where he had a bottle wrapped in white paper.

Denye all but groaned, "oh brother, not now! Already?"

But Denji mererely smiled back and poured a glass. "This is special. I've had this for four hundred years. If you want to taste wine that's strong and still holds flavor, this is the oldest aged wine in our kingdom." He poured a single glass for James, and Denye rested his head in his hand, waiting for the moment with wincing agony.

"Too soon," he said with a grumble as he sat back down.

James lifted the glass in a toast to Denji and took a long swig from the cup. "This is lovely! I never considered myself a wine person." He winked and looked at Denji and Denye. "I think I'll finish my glass and-wait-" He scratched the top of his head. "Just who's turn is it anyways? I sort of lost track." A small clink and the goblet was on the table. "But let's cut to the chase. You two didn't just invite me here to play an innocent game of cards. There's something going on. And honestly there is something in both of your eyes that I just don't understand what it is."