A Children's Song - The Fox's Melody

Do you think you will keep reading?

• Yep

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

• I would if... (Please message me reason why/not)

• Total voters

Volo Morior

Illusionist
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Multiple posts per day
  3. 1-3 posts per day
  4. One post per day
  5. 1-3 posts per week
  6. One post per week
Online Availability
Sunday+Saturday 5pm-12am, Monday 9pm-12am, Tuesday-Friday 9am-12am
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Romance, yaoi, fantasy
A story about an old song, it's warning, and a girl.

Comments are loved but please send to me rather than posting them here, thanks!

Prologue
The Child's Song

Little deer, little deer
Why have you come?
This forest is not for you
Foolish little fawn.

The tyrant fox is coming,
His fur is lily white.
Do you not know little one?
He gives even kings a fright.

He shall take what he wants from even man,
Be it his child or his bride.
Even with shield and sword
Those who are targeted cannot hide.

His wisdom is beyond your own,
His powers of a different kind;
Summoning fire to confuse your eyes,
Luring you off for him to find.

What did you do to anger him?
What was your folly?
Be you full of pride
And take his stick of holly?

Watch yourself now dear
You are within his reach,
Amber eyes are following you.
Bid birds not to screech.

Run, run beast of prey.
His claws are throwing dust.
Run through sun spotted meadows
Or your life shall be lost.

Do not trip, do not stop,
Dare not you look back.
The fox's eyes are trained on you,
His teeth nearing your neck.

Foolish little creature
Why have you come to him?
Did you have a wish for grant?
What a wasted whim.

Even if you should escape
A white fox never relents.
Be you cursed for life?
Or merely an early death?

Chapter 1
Wishes

There was an old song sung by all the children in this town, one that I was told had been sung even long ago when it was just a small village newly settled. While most people here just teach it to their children as their parents had taught them few know that there was once a story that went along with it, that it wasn't just a warning left by people who feared the beasts within the dark. The story said that a young girl was killed in the forest that now runs along one edge of our town, and that this girl was killed by a strikingly white fox. It is also said that this fox was impossible to catch, as if it disappeared into the thicket without a trace like a ghost. Never again did the fox take a life, but through generations it is said some will see it in the forest, watching with amber eyes filled with blood lust. But much of this is left to superstition, perhaps a girl truly did die, and maybe a white fox was the cause, but it was impossible for it to live as long as they say.

I never believed the old story, but it is one I think of often as I chant its counterpart while walking through town. It always intrigued me that the same forest was still standing even as the surrounding area was now urbanized. Even the creek that had once run into its depths was now dammed to create a small pond to accent the small children's park. Of course there was also a legend that the forest couldn't be any further disturbed because the fox was still protecting it even now, but really I think it lives on merely as this town's prideful heritage.

This heritage was even passed down to me, the last child of a family who is said to have been among the first settlers hundreds of years ago. While I'm doubtful that this is true my parents still hold onto a silly tradition from my mother's side of the family. My name is Niabi Beckett. It's said that any child of the first descendants of this town must have a name from that time as well, needless to say that I never had to worry about someone sharing my name while in school. As with any child with a "different" name I used to be teased often, but in a small town like this most bullies are scolded pretty early on.

While I love thinking about this place's history it has never affected me, I've never dug deeper into the mysteries, or even read a book on it, I would rather study for my midterms or have lunch with my friends than waste time on the past. And just like every other day today is no different.

As I walked down Main Street I had the same song in my head, perhaps I was a bit obsessed with it, I sang it everyday, all throughout the day, wonder what the deer running from the fox felt like, wondering what the fox felt. My hair bobbed behind me in a tight braid, golden in the sunlight. My skin is fair and coated in a thin layer of foundation to hide my naturally pink cheeks that always gave away my social awkwardness. My deep blue eyes looked forward, light copper eyeshadow above them, and pink gloss coated my lips as they sat in a straight line. I wore simple faded jeans, a pair of short wedges and a black tank top. Sure I wasn't much to look at, but I didn't want to be looked at, I just wanted to blend into the background, live quietly.

As I turned off of the street I stepped up to a small cafe, and inside sat my friends, the few people whom I talked to. It wasn't as if I was antisocial, but I found people terrifying, impossible to read. As I sat down at their table they greeted me with smiles and excited chatter, I smiled softly in return, and soon their attention left me as they continued their conversation, kindly ignoring me and letting me sip my water without having to force idle chit chat that made me even more self conscious.

"So Jax asked me how my classes were going, I know he's struggling in number theory so I mentioned that I just got an A on the last test, and he asked me to help him study for the next one!" Brandy was talking excitedly about her latest crush, she always went for the hard to get guys and Jax was no exception. He was the typical college athlete who didn't care much for his studies, but what he lacked in academics he made up with dazzling blue eyes, a tall muscular build and the amiable personality to match his blinding smile. Even someone like me had stolen a few glances of him, but looking her over I felt that if anyone had a chance to get this guy's attention it would be Brandy. She was the barbie doll of our group; tall, thin, a full chest and an outgoing you-can't-forget-me kind of demeanor. Her hair was a fiery auburn, her eyes clear hazel, and she always knew how to pick just the right makeup and clothes to match her tanned skin. Not to say i was jealous but as i sipped my water a little more obviously i thought about how different i was from her.

"But you realize every girl in the U is after him right? One study session does not equal hookup math girl." A cool voice brought Brandy back down to earth for a moment, Andi rested her chin on her palm, her long black hair slipped out from behind her ear and nearly fell into her glass of tea. She didn't talk as much as Brandy, but she was just as eye catching with pale skin, a long lean figure and dark piercing eyes. "Remember in less than a year you'll have to find a job, and you won't have so much time to chase after some guy with no marketable skills." She stirred her straw gently before taking a sip.

"You just don't know how to have fun Andi! After all you've been working retail for a year and you're still making minimum, and with no one to go home to at night! Ah I just couldn't live that way!" Brandy was waving her hands to empathize her point and I couldn' help but grin a bit, the two of them had the same argument almost every time we were together, I wondered when they'd find a middle group. Thankfully neither took it to heart, but I was glad when neither nit picked over my lack of relationship or working enthusiasm.

"I wish I was as carefree as you guys, I still can't remember anything on my study guide and midterms are tomorrow!" A childish voice piped in and I watched as she sputtered as her papers got blown slightly when someone walked by our table.

Brandy helped her organize her things again before pointing out a few key points in her notebook. "You know Shel it might just be easier to aim for a barely passing grade than trying to get a B this time." She said with a laugh. Shelby just pouted and looked at her with large caramel eyes. Her short brown hair bobbed, the waves encircling her childish face.

"I have to keep my B average, i'm determined! If I can just pass this next test i'll be set until finals!" She then put her nose back into her materials, but soon the exasperation showed and she shoved everything back in her bag. "I wish we could all just go out shopping in the city instead." She finally muttered. She had never been the type that one would think would do well in school, she spent many nights out at the parties on campus, or shopping with other groups of girls, but remarkably she put everything into her studies this time of year.

"After midterms we should all go out together again, maybe next weekend? We could stay in the city for a night, take a break from this slow town." Brandy was smiling from ear to ear at the idea, but she merely got a stern stare from Andi.

"You just want Jax to see you in your clubbing clothes." She said with a smirk, Brandy and her then began bickering while Shelby and I watched on smiling.

Soon the three of them began making plans for the next weekend, as usual they didn't ask for my input, and they didn't expect it. If I was able to go then I would, but if not I wouldn't be missed, I was just an observer here, but that's what I wanted. I didn't have to pretend to be someone I wasn't, and they didn't have to pretend that they needed me there, because even if i wasn't the three of them would go on like this.

About an hour later everyone was getting ready to go back to their lives. Andi had work at the clothes shop on main street, Brandy had shopping plans with a few girls from her secondary education class, and Shelby was planning to study until dawn. As for me…

"Hey Bi-bi." Brandy woke me from my thinking and i blinked. It wasn't often that I was directly spoken to, but I nodded quickly. "We were wondering if you could do us a favor since you're free today." I blinked again, not sure how they knew if i was free or not, but nodded again. Her smile lit up her face before she reached into her purse and put an ivory colored item on the table before me. I looked down at it and realized it was a necklace, simple silver chain, small and delicate, and hanging from it was a snowy white pendant.

I picked up the cool item and rolled it between my fingers. It looked to be hand made, not perfect like machine jewelry, but it was expertly crafted all the same. It could have fit onto a quarter, but the detail looked like a painting instead of a cut piece of what seemed to be stone. It looked like a deer, head up and alert, one foot raised. There were swirls within the white, just barely a different shade of cream, and they swirled as if they moved giving the impression of life within the small creature.

Soon I heard two more clacking sounds and before me were two more pendants, obviously made by the same hand, but one was a bird, wings outstretched like it had just woken from a night of slumber, and the other a bear, standing tall and strong. These too were white, and the same swirls gave them breath. "There's a rumor going around that if you buy one of the pendants and make a wish on them, then bring them to the clearing in the forest that your wish will be granted. A few girls had the boys they liked confess after doing it, i've even heard of people getting money or doing better on tests or finding a job. Can't pass that up right?" I realized Brandy had started talking again, but I couldn't look away from the items before me, something about their cold surface made me shiver. "So you can do it right? We don't have time but you live over that way right?" I nodded dumbly again, but as it sank in i shook myself out of my trance.

"You want me to leave these in the forest? Weren't they expensive?" I couldn't imagine just throwing away such creations for some silly rumor. Who believed them anyway?

"Yeah, I mean if it doesn't work out we could always go get them if we wanted, but money is no object when it comes to love!" She looked like she was floating on a cloud and finally I looked from Andi to Shelby, both of whom smiled to me.

"You guys too?" I asked incredulously. Shelby would probably do anything Brandy did, but Andi never seemed the superstitious type.

"I really need the help with the test, even if it's just one point!" Shelby said, clasping her hands as if begging me.

"And I figured why not? I've been at this job a year and still nothing, might as well start asking the void." Andi said with a shrug. I looked to them then the necklaces again before gently picking them up and putting them in my bag.

"Alright, no problem." I mumbled, it seemed like such a waste, but if this was what they wanted…

"Great, thanks!" Brandy said, the other two smiling and thanking me as well. Soon we were out front of the cafe and I was watching them walking off to their lives once more, leaving me alone. I sighed and started walking, absently making plans for the afternoon, but knowing where my first stop would be.