A changeling and a doll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teresa listened to him but said nothing. When they got to the graveyard she listened to his instructions. She couldn't exactly climb as she had no physical way to pull herself up. She got out of the car with him, having some minor difficulties with the door before figuring out how to properly open it, and walked towards the fence. She frowned and thought about how she'd get over it. Can't exactly climb a tree. I don't think he realizes that this body is meant to be pretty....not practical. Perhaps if I can manage to levitate....can I even do that? She had an inner conversation going on as she puzzled how to get in.

Lyall had almost managed to get over the fence by climbing with impressive agility, when he noticed that Teresa had not yet made an effort to climb it. It was a little strange for him, on the rare occasions where he worked alongside other supernatural beings, they were physically more powerful.

"Not a climber are you? I could pull you up here, though watch for the top of the fence, these spikes are actually pretty pointy, tore my favorite coat right off my back a few days ago..."

He crouched down on a thick branch and stuck his hand out.

"Grip tightly, we don't want my glove slipping off with you on it."

"I'm not certain that these arms can support my own weight," Teresa answered, "I will find a way across." She focused her magic and made a small platform under her feet. At first she wobbled as it moved up in a rocking sort of motion but she managed to get herself up and over. It took far more magic than she would have liked but she got over. "This body was built for form not function. I did not anticipate needing to climb or any such thing." She said to him, her voice getting more echo-y as she couldn't keep up the magic at the moment to prevent it.

Lyall raised an eyebrow at her display, and then shrugged.
"Or you can do that, if it's less trouble."

He scaled a few more branches upward, and then jumped towards the fence, successfully hurling himself over, grabbing the metal bars, and then sliding down as the fence clattered with noise. He scanned the various gravestones, before spying what he felt was the tablets of them, and walking toward it.

His fingers traced along the stone structure as his other hand searched his pockets The letters had faded to the point where he couldn't read them unless he tried very hard to make sense of it, but it didn't matter as soon as he found what he was looking for; His silver dagger.

He took it, and cut along the palm of his hand with a fine incision, drawing only enough blood to cover the tip of the dagger.. In the din glow of the moonlight, it was much clearer to see, his blood was black, but within were tiny particles, like sparks in a flame or stars in the sky. He took it and drew a circle on the grave; He dabbed the knife into the drop of blood again; And finished by making a star, and a pentagram was now upon the gravestone.

He sat down and leaned up against it.
"He knows whenever I do that, he should be here in a few minutes. Until then I suppose I should ask the golden question..."

He paused for a moment, leaning forward.
"Do you think you'll be able to help me?"

Circe followed after him in silence and stopped when he did. She let him do as he wished but took note of his black blood and then looked to him as he decided to ask a question of her. "I can certainly try," She said as she looked at him, "I'm not certain I can but I'm sure I can try to find something. Clearly something is different about you. It might be useful to help you. It may even be possible, as a last ditch effort, to throw you into a doll as well. Naturally I would try to avoid such a thing....but it could be a final solution to buy time....assuming you have a soul that is....though...." Her face suddenly turned pensive, her magic coming back, "I suppose....consciousness could be thrown into an object....or if we could find a freshly dead body....hmmm I may need necrotic tomes for that. Either way....I will do what I can to help you. I don't know much about this world but magic is my specialty."

Lyall shrugged.
"Unfortunately, whatever I have... it certainly isn't a soul. It's... more of an aura of magic contained mostly within the confines of my body, and it slowly burns itself out. Not sure how moving it into something that requires magic to move would be anything other than catastrophic, but i'm sure you'll think of sonething "

A thick fog started to roll, creating wall of mist around the graveyard. Lyall's only reaction to this was looking around, before turning back to Teresa.
"We got about twenty seconds before he appears. He likes to do these fancy entrances, this will probably help make the exchange harder to see from the outside."

Lyall stood up and slung the trash bags over his shoulder.

After a brief moment, he asked quickly.
"Almost forgot the silver question... What's your name?"

"I see.....Then perhaps what you need is simply a magic source...." She sighed before looking around at the fog then looked to him again. "Teresa, Teresa LaLyre," She answered before looking around again. The fog wasn't something she cared for, she hated flashiness but could understand why they'd want to keep these exchanges secret. Magic wasn't exactly widely accepted last she knew. She certainly didn't want things to get out of hand. She couldn't help but wonder what this man was like, after all she almost never met other magic users and hadn't met any since she'd last had flesh.

In a few moments, out from the fog came a tall man in a heavy leather cloak and avian mask- replicating the style of plague doctors, but with the telltale signs of modern improvement, mostly that the mask was part of an actual rebreather. The tall man spoke with the voice of an older refined Englishman.
"Lyall! It's great to see..."

He paused and immediately began speaking.
"Who's that?"

Lyall, in turn, responded.
"Her name's Teresa, picked her up down the street when I took out a demon."

The doctor replied to this.
"Very well then, allow me to specify; What's that?'

Lyall turned towards Teresa and said quietly;
"You're the uh... sixth... person I've introduced to him, the rest ended up trying to kill me, him, or civilians."

Turning back towards his doctor, he spoke up;
"I think you'll like it better if she explained to you doc."

Teresa looked between them as they spoke. She then turned to the doctor. "I am a living doll, I doubt you understand the concept so allow me to explain, I am a soul trapped within the enchanted body of a doll. I am able to manipulate this body and have many similar qualities to a golem. You should respect your elders you know. This doll may look like it's in nearly new condition but I assure you I'm quite old," She spoke with her echoed voice her mouth not moving at all. "I can tell you I am friendly. It's nice to have a change of pace and not be stuck in a glass case you see. I've no intention on harming anyone, that would be stupid."

The man nodded as she spoke.
"Very well then. Lyall's other... friends... have been questionable, but if a living doll finds a reason to cause him harm it's going to be a convoluted one. I'll trust you for the meantime."

Turning back to Lyall, he inquired further as he removed vials of a black substance from his coat, giving them to the young man.
"And how long ago did you meet this one?"

Lyall took the vials, and handed his doctor the garbage bags, before casually responding.
"I'd say about fifteen minutes ago, twenty minutes tops."

The doctor, now dragging the bags away said;
"That's a new record by a longshot."

As the doctor backed up into the fog, the two nodded towards each other once. The fog then faded away, and the doctor was nowhere to be seen, as Lyall counted the vials.

"Nine vials. My lucky day."

He turned back towards Teresa, and chuckled.
"He's a real stand-up guy, trust me. The fellow's just a little... shy. He doesn't like risks, and while recently I have been very careful, the 'friends' I've made when I started out really shouldn't have been trusted... so he's suspicious of them all now."

He started to make his way back to the car, climbing up over the fence again.
"So this general area has been cleared for the time being, and it's time for me to hit the road again. Got any countries in mind? I'll tell you whether or not they still exist."

Teresa sighed inwardly and just listened to them all talk. She honestly didn't care what this guy thought of her. She just wanted to explore the world and Lyall wasn't preventing her, in fact he was helping her in more ways than she cared to admit. Once he was gone she looked to the young boy and shrugged slightly.

"I suppose he's just trying to show concern. I cannot blame him. But I can assure you, I mean you no harm. I am powerful magically but even you could easily harm my vessel. I much prefer looking nice to being useful physically. Keeps me in nicer homes." She followed him as they spoke and she managed to once more levitate over the fence. The doll once again made a shrugging motion. "I don't care where we go. I just want to see the world....or at least see something other than the same old street. To me, simply traveling is a far greater pleasure than I can describe."

Lyall went over the options in his head, and came up with a few.
"There's large expanses of wilderness in Canada that host creatures known as Wendigoes. They're essentially Werewolves, but far, far meaner. Next option would be any city with a high crime rate, as unsolved crimes can often mean supernatural forces at work. Don't want to go anywhere obvious though, you see... the occasional human will pick up Demon hunting and try to bring down as many as possible, so they flock to known dangerous or haunted areas, since multiple Hunters end up in the same places, the only Demons you find are those that are tough enough to take the heat. I like to go around and hunt the littler Demons. Of course, depending on how much damage you can dish out, I can expand my horizon to the bigger threats. So are you thinking cities, or wilderness?"

As he inquired, he opened the passenger's door before getting in on his own side, and put the key in the ignition.

Teresa listened to him muse out some options. Once he opened the door for him she nodded her head in thanks and got in, managing to shut the door on her own. The pulled on the strange belt contraption, knowing that it was a safety feature if only from the times where they occasionally had a television on. "hmmmm......I suppose I'd prefer the wilderness....though are you certain we can take down Wendigoes? They can be quite difficult and I know next to nothing about them. I wouldn't know what magic to use against them...." She tried to think of spells she knew, pondering what would work on such a creature. She remembered pretty much all of her spells as she'd had nothing else to do while trapped in her body but go over what she knew.

Lyall started to explain a tactic he had in his head;
"Well, Wendigos don't like fire. Silver also works well enough against them. Of course, their incredible feats of strength, speed, and stealth make it nearly impossible for someone like me to go against one alone. But you, on the other hand. You don't have flesh. You don't have blood. You don't sweat and you don't breathe. With a little caution, the bastards aren't gonna smell you like they will me. And there's the 'fun' part... a Wendigo isn't a ravenous beast. It's not gonna say... sever my jugular and then eat me. No, it's gonna take me down, drag me to it's cave, and gnaw on me at it's leisure. Of course, I can always just heal. And while it's distracted, you hit it with whatever you fancy hitting it with, break me free, and we both hit it with everything we got."

He coughed into his elbow.
"Of course, that's if it goes to plan. Of course, I have vials to spare this time, so I can get a little crazy if I need to."

He started driving off, and concluded.
"Never took down a Wendigo myself of course, but I heard some stories about people who did."

After a long pause, he asked a question.
"So, did you used to practice any alchemy?"

Teresa listened and nodded slightly. "I see. I think I could deal with that. Fire is a fairly simple kind of magic, fueled by hatred, passion, and anger." She looked at him after the pause and a smile appeared on her face. "Yes. I dabbled in some. Not probably to the level of your friend but I've dabbled in a bit of every kind of magic before finding something I liked. And that was mostly collecting spellbooks....I had quite the library before this happened. Shame it's probably all been burnt down. I can't recall what happened directly after I became a doll. The next thing I knew it was a few decades later." She let out a sigh like sound. "Such is my lot however."

Status
Not open for further replies.