A Change of Fate

Status
Not open for further replies.
5e66b031-e423-40b7-b588-970c2000e9c1.jpg

It had been a few hours after stopping, and after felling a few branches with his blade, Darius had pitched a lean-to for them both against the trunk of a larger tree with rope to fix the branches into a roof. Stripping his armor, and tucking it against the tree, he set about making a fire, and spit an iron pot over it, while retrieving a small wrapped block of what appeared to be meet, though it had a grey color to it.

Sitting on the ground near it, Darius stirred the mixture that bubbled. "Tastes like shite, but it'll give you energy, and keep you from starving. The kitchens at the palace will make up for it. Anything you can thing up, the chef, and staff can whip up at a moments notice. You won't have to fear from dying of starvation like most do with my cooking." He added with a chuckle.

Standing up, he walked out of site, and came back holding a small boulder in his arms, and placed it next to the fire. "A seat for you m'lady." Plopping down again, he continued to stir the pot, and pulled a flask from his belt. "So... since you've pried, it's only fair if I'm given the same courtesy, right? What of you? Where's the man from Theton who'd be so fortunate to call you his? Not many men lucky enough to see Elves, though if one could, he'd put a ring on her finger soon as seeing one. There no man in your life? I would have thought to have a quarrel with a man, or legions of the sort when I saw you for the first time."

The young lady was certainly beautiful, and Darius knew that she was aware of it. Perhaps that was why he had did his best to try and avoid eye contact. There was something about her that he hadn't expected... and that was a calmness washing over him whenever she looked his way. It wasn't a terrible feeling, but it certainly was foreign. Something that would take getting used to.

"Mind you, if a woman did ever cross my path, and take my heart. I'd hope it would be with her words, rather than the knife I've come to expect. "​

Faunalyn watched Darius as he made the lean-to and she wanted to help him, but figured he would probably say there was nothing for her to do. She watched as he set up the fire, putting the spit and pot over it. He pulled out a wrapped block which held a sort of grey coloured meat. She blinked a couple times as she studied it before she looked away. If it was rotten, he wouldn't have kept it, so she decided against worrying about it. He soon stirred the bubbling mixture, sitting on the ground as he spoke to her. She gave a light laugh at his last comment with a shake of her head.

She looked down at the ground for a moment, only glancing up at Darius as he walked off and she instantly wondered where he was going. However, a couple of minute later, he came back, carrying a small boulder in his arms and she tilted her head to the side slightly, curious. He placed it down and told her it was a seat and she smiled at him. "Thank you," she said, moving over to sit on it as he sat down and pulled out a flask. He started to speak and she looked at the pot for a short while until he finished speaking, where she moved her gaze to study him. Had he honestly thought he'd have to quarrel with a man before they left? That thought made a soft chuckle escape her.

Upon his last couple sentences, Faunalyn silenced herself. So it wasn't like he was opposed to having a woman in his life. She looked down at the fire, watching the flames dance together. "There will be someone out there," she told him gently, "And to answer your question, no, there is no man in my life. The.. Boys.. around my age back in Theton were too immature and most think that Elves are strange," she told him, casting Darius a sidelong glance., wondering what he, personally, thought about Elves. There was the occasional person who had a completely different opinion on Elves, but mostly, t was split. One half thought that they were gorgeous and graceful, someone untouchable. The other half thought they were strange and unwanted, always thinking that the Elven race thought themselves better than humans. Which wasn't true. Atleast not for Faunalyn.

5e66b031-e423-40b7-b588-970c2000e9c1.jpg

Stirring the pot, Darius glanced at Faunalyn as she talked, and took the odd sip from his flask. It had a spicy scent to it, and with each sip, it was followed with a sharp swallow. These signs indicated it must have been some kind of alcohol. "Not wrong of them to think Elves strange. Humans are an odd bunch, and we're the rats of civilization, lass. You're a legend to most people. The long hair hides the ears a bit, but I'm still surprised that other villages hadn't learn of your heritage." He took another sip from his flask, and looked back to the pot.

"You're only the second elf I've met in my 23 cycles. The last one was ten years ago in the palace. A short meeting it was as well." Darius remembered that stormy night well. It had been the first time he'd ever killed a man, and it was that night his father pressed him into service for the army. Funny how a father would reward having his life saved by sending his only son off to war. It was a thought for another time however, and so Darius retrieved a bowl from his bag, and began to ladle the stew into it. Filling it, extended a bandaged hand to Faunalyn with the bowl, and a spoon. "When you've finished, you should get some sleep. Rain will set in soon, and I would like to leave early in the morning."

Pouring himself a bowl, Darius spooned the food into his mouth without tasting it. In fact he ate it with what seemed like a haste, and as he finished, he set the bowl on the ground, and took another pull from his flask. "Tastes... terrible, but the liquor at least gives it some taste." He then reached to his side, and laid the handle of his sword in his lap, and rested his arms on it's blade. "For one who's never left home before... you don't seem that nervous."​

Status
Not open for further replies.