A California Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
James laughed and quickly made the popcorn, bringing back a huge bowl for the two to share. He climbed under the covers beside her and placed the popcorn in between them."Oh I'm a servant now? I see how it is.."he said, faking a sad face. His fake face would've been believable if it weren't for the fact that Alice knew him and his faces better than anyone. He chuckled as he popped a piece of popcorn into his mouth and then tossed one to her mouth, which she thankfully caught. He flipped the lights off and pressed play? Leaning against the back of the couch as the movie began.

"Yes, and you shall do as I say or suffer the consequences," Alice replied triumphantly, grinning as she caught the popcorn in her mouth. The movie began its well-known introduction, making you think that the main character, Cady, was a kindergartner until she stood up. As the movie played, Alice leaned against James, feeling perfectly safe and happy.

Every few minutes, she couldn't help but steal a secret glance at her best friend. She'd never really thought about it, but he was kinda cute. In an endearing way, of course. Alice blinked her eyes rapidly, forcing the thoughts out of her head and instead focusing on the movie. She laughed every so often but about half-way through began to feel rather tired. A few minutes later, she was fast-asleep, nestled against the warmth of James.

James glanced down at his best friend who was fast asleep on his arm. He chuckled and flipped the movie off, scooping the girl into his arms and carrying her down the hall. He looked down at her and smiled as she slept and slowly opened her door up. Carrying her inside, he pulled the cover back and rested her under it. He tossed her shoes to the ground and let go of her as he pulled the comforter over her small body. He sighed and smiled as he kissed her forehead and turned her lamp off, turning to go back into his own room and sleep for the night.

The night was not a pleasant one for Alice. Her peaceful rest soon turned into one full of tosses and turns. Her brow furrowed into an expression of anxiety, and she occasionally moaned almost in despair. In her dreams, she was running from something. Or someone. She couldn't look back, but she could feel its presence gaining. It was five feet behind her. Two feet.

As soon as it wrapped its horrible claws around her, Alice woke up screaming in terror. Lightning flashed, and thunder clapped as she hugged herself. The nightmares didn't come terribly often, but they were always horrible when they came. It was always the same, and it was her mind's rendition of a memory she wanted to forget. She looked at the clock. It was five AM. At least she'd gotten some decent sleep.

Hopefully her scream hadn't woken James. She didn't want to worry him. This was their vacation, and she knew from experience that she wouldn't have the nightmare again for a good long while. Still, there was no way she was going back to sleep at this point.

James had stayed away for many hours after he had put Alice in her bed, and had just gotten to sleep when he was woken up by a scream from Alice room. He quickly jumped up and he flew threw the door in less than a minute. He looked around and noticed Alice sitting in her bed hugging herself, and the alarm saying 5 A.M.

James sighed in relief to see that Alice was physically okay, and he walked over to her, sitting in front of her."Same dream?"he asked, raising an eyebrow. He sighed and pulled her close to his bare chest as he rubbed her back smoothly and ran hsi hand through her hair."Do you want me to lay down with you until you fall back asleep? I can wait,"he said seriously.

James knew that she probably wouldn't go to sleep anytime soon, but he was willing to wait until she was asleep. He sighed and laid her back down and then laid beside her,over the covers as he wrapped an arm around her and rubbed her back to calm her down. He hummed a soft song that he knew she loved, and waited, staring up st the ceiling, for her to sleep.

Alice nodded, wiping away a couple of stray tears. She would be okay, she knew, especially with James beside her. She buried her face into his neck, forcing her eyes closed. When he started humming her favorite song, she laughed softly. "You always know what to do," she whispered. She didn't fall asleep until an hour and a half later, but at least then she slept in peace. Her dream was, almost ironically, of her running in a field of flowers with James.

But something was different this time. It felt more...she didn't know how to describe it. Until Dream-James looked deep into her eyes and leaned in to kiss her. Her eyes flew open, and her hand flew to her lips. What the heck? The sun was shining in her room, and she felt more at ease than she had in a while. The clock read 10:32 in the morning, and James was gone.

Alice smiled, getting out of bed and changing into a pink summer dress and putting on a pair of brown sandals. As soon as she left the room, there was no sweet smell of bacon and eggs. Nope, she knew full well they would be having cereal this morning.

James left five minutes after Alice had fallen back asleep. He hadn't gone back to sleep himself, but he didn't mind and was actually use to not being able to sleep at night. He walked down the stairs and made himself a bowl of cereal and watch the news as he ate and drank some apple juice.

Around 10:30, Alice came out of her room, awake now, and Jame's smiled at her."Morning sleepy head. You alright?"he asked raising an eyebrow as he took a bite of lucky charms cereal. He finished up his bowl and then washed all the dishes before looking at Alice and making her a bowl and sliding it down the counter to her."Eat up. We've got a big day ahead of us babe,"he said without thinking. He called a lot of girls babe, so he didn't think any differently of it when it accidently slipped from his lips talking to Alice.

"I'm much better," Alice replied honestly, digging into her Lucky Charms like there was no tomorrow. Her secret love was definitely Lucky Charms. Not James, Lucky Charms. She almost choked on said Lucky Charms, however, when he called her "babe." He'd never called her that before. At least, not from what she could remember.

She swallowed nonchalantly, making it appear as if nothing had happened. This was absurd. They were best friends and nothing more. And they never would be anything more. Right?

RIGHT?

((I am so sorry it took so long! I had my ACT to take and it's been a crazy past two days! It will never take this long for me to reply! I apologize!!))

James raised an eyebrow at his best friend as she choked and he made sure she was still breathing before washing their bowls and putting the cereal up."Alright, so what do we have a new today? I guess we can have a shopping day. We need to buy food anyway, and we have nothing better to do really,"he said chuckling.

James wasn't big on shopping, but he knew how much Alice loved it, so he didn't mind going with her. With anyone else he just never had the patients. He chuckled as he thought this to himself, and figured he might as well get some good stuff he could cook with since he liked cooking.

((It's totally fine! No sweat!))

"Good because I CANNOT go home without some authentic Cali clothes," Alice replied with a dorky grin. She looked at the clock, and her eyes went wide. "Oh my goodness, we have to leave now!!! Everything will be so crowded!!" Being her usual dramatic self, she flew up the stairs and came back down the stairs in less than five minutes, her makeup done and her hair in a side ponytail.

"C'mon, c'mon, c'mooooon!" she whined, giggling as she pulled him towards the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.