• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

DISCUSSION RANDOM A blast from the past: Foods that make you feel like a kid again

Megasis

I love bunnies
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
A random little thought to put here in general chat, but last night I was reaching out to my inner child with what I made for dinner. I made good ol' mac'n'cheese and charred some hot dogs slices. Then of course, I adultified the meal with a side salad XD My husband had this little sparkle in his eye when he came to the table and not five minutes later as we were eating he said - It's good to feel twelve years old again.

That just made me laugh, but it also made me wonder if others had a sort of special thing that was made for them/they made for themselves when they were younger. And eating it again as an adult makes you a little nostalgic. My husband would say his grandma would make him these ham sandwiches with butter, and it was the only thing she knew how to make so that's all he got if grandma was watching them lol Simple but really tasty, he said.

Is anyone else out there weirdly reminiscent about a certain food?

sausage, cheese, crackers and pickles. Incredibly simple but absolutely throws me back to being a kid and just scrounging for something to snack on but didn't want to put real effort into it. I have literally just gotten homemade deer summer sausage that i am severely considering getting crackers and the rest to reform this tasty memory.

Fruit salad.
Like my grandma used to make fruit salad aaaaalll the time during summer! She used to always complain that I'd ask for watermelon in it because she hated watermelon 😂 Still sometimes she would give in and put watermelon in there just for me just because I asked... or would get me my own little watermelon to compensate LOL

...I haven't made a proper fruit salad in such a long ass time. Maybe this summer now I will have to!

@Manna Beast - Cheese, sausage, and crackers is stupidly one of my favorite things, all thanks to dad too. Sometimes I'll just snack on my own personally platter for lunch XD

@Lyrikai - Fruit Salad!! Was it like, legit just cut up fruit? x'D Weird question, but did your family ever make fruit pizza?? That's another of my loves.

Never made a fruit pizza, but that does sound amazing! And has been something I've wanted to try!

As for the salad, there were two kinds we made. One was literally, yeah, just a bowl of cut up fruit. The other was like an Ambrosia Salad? With the marshmallows and whipped cream?

I have changed nothing in my eating habits to be honest. I still eat chicken nuggets, Mac n cheese..... I guess cinnamon sugar toast, where I make toast, slather with butter and dump cinnamon sugar in top. Also peanut butter and butter sammiches...... those both I don't eat much anymore but I still love

@LunaValentine - You can't do wrong with the chicken nuggies! Busy adulthood demands quick meals, especially for lunch. Dunno about anyone else but a half hour isn't long enough to make anything besides a quick sandwich or ramen noodles. Feel like I'm in my college days still.

Those little lychee jello minis you can get at Asian supermarkets. I don't think I have had one in like almost 20 years but I still think about them from time to time...

As an adult I cant eat WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT AND NO ONE CAN STOP ME. So I still make my childhood fav foods and have not been able to get nostalgic about them.

BUT THEN THERE'S SCHOOL LUNCH PIZZA. That awful, terrible, school lunch pizza with a carton of milk. Like I know it's bad, but I still miss it? Pizza day was the best. >:[

As an adult I cant eat WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT AND NO ONE CAN STOP ME. So I still make my childhood fav foods and have not been able to get nostalgic about them.

BUT THEN THERE'S SCHOOL LUNCH PIZZA. That awful, terrible, school lunch pizza with a carton of milk. Like I know it's bad, but I still miss it? Pizza day was the best. >:[
YES School Lunch Pizza.......there was really something about it. I liked it when my mom would bring home bagel pizzas cause she worked in the schools. There were SOME good things that came home.

The classic PB&J… I actually used to refuse to eat them because I was basically eating them everyday, but I love myself a good PB&J nowadays

There was this sweet goop I used to eat (?)... it was in a small white/red tub and was sort of maple syrup-colored, but much thicker than maple syrup; it was sweet but mellow, and if I wanted a treat, whoever was watching me at the time would dip a chopstick in it, twirl some around the stick, and give it to me to suck on. A soft lollipop, in a sense.

Upon Googling it with as many keywords as possible, I'm pretty sure it's maltose syrup. Just a tub of maltose syrup. But golly was it a treat when I got it—though it probably isn't so tasty to me now, lol.

@Astoria - Jello in general is totally another nostalgia food for me. My mom would make finger jello when we went camping and if I had my choice, it ALWAYS had to be the blue Jello! As an adult I just wanna try those Jello minis now though XD

@rissa - AHHH YEAH gogurts!! I totes forgot those existed, not gonna lie

@Diana - LOL okay... yes. Not school pizza, but school chicken strips with their ranch??? They like.. made their own and it was damn good. Now I wanna know what your school pizza tasted like. Once in a blue moon we got strawberry milk cartons and omg... my mouth is watering just thinking about strawberry milk NOW I WANT SOME

@FenFren - Cannot go wrong with a good PB&J...

@allthekingsmen - I... have never heard of that before. Good old google will come in clutch cause now I'm curious about this sweet goop XD

And now I question my life choices about making this general chat cause it's 1:23am and now I HUNGER when I should be sleeping

Back