27. What is a skill everyone should have?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Cat - Wolfspear

A whole lotta cringe
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per day
Writing Levels
  1. Elementary
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Transgender
  4. Agender
  5. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Modern
I think probably cleaning and cooking. Both are pretty essential.
Also being able to do the basics with computers
admittedly I can't do any of that lmao​

Basic hand sewing. It can save your socks! If it's not visible who cares if your stitches are pretty?

Reactions: Monbon
Basic home repairs. I feel like it's completely essential. Hole in the hall? Don't call a contractor and spend hundreds when it could only cost you a fraction to do it yourself.

Communication.

Those who lack it know how much of the world leans on humans rely on one another and how much change negative or positive that could be brought by humans connecting with other humans.

• Love
Reactions: NotAllThatCreative
I agree with communication like Monbon said! But more specifically not being a people pleaser. Having the ability to say no to people and to set boundaries is SO important. Communicating the good and the bad I guess

• Love
Reactions: Monbon
Basic cleaning and maintenance is a big one to me but mostly because at work I've had to explain things like washing dishes and recycling and I think I died a little inside lol.

not for everyone but if you drive at all I think it is good to know basic car maintenance things like checking your tire pressure/changing tires or at least using a emergency flat spray so you can get to an garage/checking oil levels/adding wiper fluid/adding coolant.

Besides that, knowing some basic computer stuff is great! technology is so integral to our lives that I think it's very important to know some basic things. but I'm biased here because I study computer science and my brother studied IT lol.

Reactions: LunaValentine
Cooking! Everyone's gotta eat and you shouldn't rely on someone else to cater to you!

The ability to characterize a question. I've met people who when they're confused just say 'I don't understand it!' and when I ask them what they don't understand, they say 'I don't know, I just don't understand it!'. I've had to force them to pick random words form the passage and insert it into "what is ____?" until I finally figure out what thing they didn't understand.

Cleaning and cooking, yes. Car maintenance too, at least the basics. Changing a tire or oil.

Knowing when to ask for help. Knowing how to do things yourself and be self-reliant is great, but sometimes you have to stay put and allow others to help you. It doesn't instantly mean you are helpless.

Googling. Almost everything is on the internet nowadays. I guarantee you, you will almost always find a solution to your problem if you spend at least five minutes of your time typing up the correct keywords to explain your issue. Is your computer refusing to boot up? Google. Problems with a particular software? Google. Your TV broke? Google.

Media literacy is another important one.

common sense.

Like, you'd be surprised how many people lack it. Not a misanthrope or anything, most people have it thus the common in common sense, but alot of drama and seriously bad situations I've avoided by simply using common sense.

example: one path leads you trough a crowd of people who are rowdy and shouting slogans with cops around, but it's the fastest and most familiar route. Second path is a 20 minute detour, but it's less crowded.

You take the safer route, think nothing of it, tomorrow you see the news a massive fight broke out in that very street with alot of people in it. Yes, it's boring, but safe, and you don't run the risk of having your face appear in the news or social media. You don't need to get close to a hornets nest to know you'll get stung.