19. Do you have sleep disorder like insomnia? How do you handle it?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Cat - Wolfspear

A whole lotta cringe
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per day
Writing Levels
  1. Elementary
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Transgender
  4. Agender
  5. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Modern
I used to really struggle with insomnia, I still struggle with it sometimes but I now take a sleeping pill to help.
I believe I have recently developed sleep apnea due to my weight. I sleep but I feel so tired during the day.​

I have insomnia and night terrors. They're being aided by a strong combination of prescription meds and weekly therapy sessions. It's helping a lot. I'm actually starting to get some proper sleep after so many years of going without.

I had insomnia for many years. All throughout my twenties into my thirties and I struggled with trying to make it functional. I'd take sleep aids for a bit but not all the time because I didn't want to rely on them. Even the prescribed ones, I didn't feel right taking them. This continued for a long time till I started cutting back and eventually stopping drinking pop and almost everything with caffeine save for coffee. It was only last year that I discovered that my insomnia is related to my body not being able to process caffeine!

Once I got over the hump of not drinking coffee, my insomnia has dissolved away. But I also have a very specific sleep routine that I need to follow on the weekdays so I don't cause it to start up again. because it can if I'm a dodo.

In my case, caffeine was my problem. I still have coffee but only decaf now but I avoid energy drinks, pop or anything with caffeine in it. So mine was very specific, just wish i figured it out in my twenties!

I am fortunate and grateful to not have insomnia or any other kinds of sleep disorders. And damn I really hope I never do! I like sleeping x__X
I still retain an amazing ability to be able to sleep pretty much anywhere. Lumpy couches. Chairs. The floor if I can get bundled up enough. And I don't have any trouble getting to sleep at night unless I'm really wound up and anxious over something the next day.

I can't even imagine how terrible it must be to not be able to sleep properly sometimes 😭🫂

• Love
Reactions: Fluffy
Learning what triggers it helped me a lot. Like Manna mentioned, cutting out coffee and adopting a bed routine was one of the changes that helped the most. It didn't solve it, but it helps.

Not allowing myself to sleep in, no matter the type of night I had helps a little, tbf. For some reason my body doesn't seem to react much to that exhaustion. Getting a weighted blanket helped me more in that regards and making sure that I'm comfortable (not too cold or hot). I still struggle, but it is manageable now and I'm without meds, which I will count as my blessing.

Last edited:
I am also an insomnia person, and like others have said, finding out my triggers helped a bunch. O: I am even now still kinda adjusting things to help my sleeping.

I take a sleeping aid, use a fan for noise control, black out curtains, a weighted blanket, and the room needs to be COLD. I have a harder time in the summer getting enough sleep cause the aircon can only work so well during peak temperatures. D: I am also very picky about my type of pillows and the sheets, cause even the slightest little uncomfy feeling messes with my senses and I cant get comfortable.

A whole princess and the pea situation 😂

I have accepted the fact that i have insomnia and I do no longer attempt to sleep before 1 am. Quite frankly just accepting that I can't sleep helps me mentally to not beat me up over doing stuff in the middle of the night. Haven't fallen asleep by 3 am? read a book for a few hours, then try to sleep again. I can take a nap the next day if I need to.

Like redblood, if I can't sleep, I get up and do something else. It's better than lying in bed for hours and getting increasingly frustrated at myself.

Using the 'night light' setting on my desktop helps sometimes. I also deleted a bunch of social media apps last year, and set timers on the ones I do have. Taking a shower before bed also helps because I feel a lot more comfortable that way. My room also needs to be cooled down; if it's too hot it's impossible for me to sleep.

I'm a big coffee guy, so that's 100% something I need to cut back on. It's definitely one of the reasons why I struggle so much with sleep, but lack of sleep is the reason why I drink so much caffeine in the first place. It's hard to kick the habit, but I'm working on it.

I have heavy insomnia and barely actually sleep at night, usually only short naps during the day