The Saviors

Avira let her hand fall gently to her side. Concern fluttered in her eyes before she nodded faintly. "Okay.. I will rest. Do not hesitate to ask if you change your mind." She said softly before she looked to the hill and started over, her arm still over his shoulders.

By the time they reached the hill, several more children around the boy's age appeared. Two climbed down and three stayed above, ready to help the two travelers up the slope. The two children below were boys who looked related, but they looked nothing like the original boy. The two girls looked completely different from any of the other kids, including each other, and they stayed up top to reach down and help.

Karma looked to the children, wondering if they were alone or there were other adults somewhere. He lets go of Avira and pushes her up, making the children's job a little easier.

The kids were stronger than they appeared, easily getting her up. As Avira reached the top, she smiled softly at one of the girls, who simply giggled and reached down to help Karma. Avira reached down as well.. until she heard a voice.

"What do you think you're doing?!"

Avira rolled onto her back and sat up, bow drawn, but the original boy quickly grabbed her arm.
"Sir, these travelers ran into Lucky. One of them took Lucky down, please. I invited them for a meal."

An older gentleman stepped from the grass. "Okay Dixon." He didn't look pleased.

Avira turned back to Karma, relief on her face.

Karma is concerned as he hears a voice from above. He warily gets up with the help of Avira and the children, still being afraid of heights. He gets up cautiously, before something clicks in his mind and he smacks his palm to his forehead.
Oh no, my armor is still down there! Ah, my father would punish me severely for such carelessness...

Avira looked down and noticed both the boys had already dashed off to get it.
"I wouldn't worry." She said as she slowly tried to get to her feet. One of the girls immediately grabbed her arm to keep the archer steady.

The man looked over the two carefully. "Come here, quickly. We should not stay out here long." He said calmly.

The two boys returned fairly quickly with his armor and her dagger. They ascended the hill.
The original boy motioned for Avira and Karma to follow him.

Karma takes the armor gratefully, dawning it with haste. After, he follows the boy, sticking close to Avira, though he is unusually silent and his eyes hold a troubled look.

The man leads them to the ruins and the kids quickly take shelter in a small, broken down home. It was in better shape than the other buildings though. The man was the last one in, closing the door behind them.

The girl led Avira to a couch and she shifted to be sure Karma could sit too. Avira sat back, her head falling forwards a little as she was tired.

Karma sits down next to Avira and looks around, also tired from the night.
Are you all the survivors there are? I thought there might be more?

"We are all that remains except for a similar camp on the other side of the ruins. There are several more adults, and three more children. There used to be more of us, but since the attack, raiders have come and picked at us until we are all that were left." The man explained calmly. The kids moved off into a different room.
"These children are mostly from the more prominent families. They know how to fend for themselves... but having an adult around comforts them." He sat down. "Dixon is the oldest. And the strongest." He looked back to Karma and Avira. "What brings a warrior and a shadow healer here?" He began to frown. "You two are very far from home I sense.."

Avira nodded weakly, her eyes closing as she debated just sleeping.

Karma nods, his interest being caught.
Yes, we are... I am from Delain, and she is Avira Merzone, from Livrai. We are champions who are looking to find out what happened to Siun and, well, here... While we're on the topic, I hope you don't mind my asking, but do you remember how this kingdom came to be destroyed?

The man hesitated. "Lia, leave Reyan alone!" He called into the other room before looking down.
"I do not know exactly how it happened. I could not see or find the cause." He said, much more quieter now. "There was a loud explosion, several buildings were blown in. The guards were running to find the cause.. but there seemed to be fewer and fewer of them, no matter how many more guards were called out. They fought something much more powerful than themselves.." he trailed off as the kids came in with two bowls of a meat soup. They held them out to Avira and Karma.

Avira's eyes flickered open and she smiled softly at the young children. "Thank you.." she whispered. They nodded.

"Go on children, go rest. You have done well." The man said. As the children ran off, he looked back to the two champions. He didn't speak yet, looking to Avira. "Eat.. it will help."

She didn't look at him, but nodded, taking a bite. She was a little shaky, but she managed.

The man looked back to Karma. "Being the town's scout, I was to go out and get help from Siun. Everything was falling, being destroyed... I grabbed my horse and ran. By the time I'd reached Siun, it was already destroyed. The survivors blamed us, until I pointed to the smoke from out from our kingdom. They had fewer survivors, only a few of the commoners...they provided extra supplies they had. I brought it back to find our kingdom in ruin. There were much more survivors than we have here. They helped built shelters like these and made lookouts easy. Well... until the raids. They burned several shelters... killed and kidnapped. Now.. well, you see what remains." He looked between them. "I do not believe this will help you much, but there you go.."

Karma nods, and thank the children for the food when it comes.
I am sorry... I have one more question about the thing that the guards fought, did you happen to hear it say anything in specific? Like... For Progress?

The man thought for a long moment. "That's.. familiar... it's possible, though I'm not positive." He said quietly.

Avira finished eating and slowly set the bowl down. She sat up, then fell asleep, her head slumping forwards as her body fell back against the couch.

"Your shadow healer... Avira, you called her? She has potential.. but not the training." He sighed and pulled an old blanket from the back of the chair he was in. He draped it over her. "You should rest as well." He looked to Karma for a moment before guilt ran over his face. "I am so sorry, I did not introduce myself! I'm Abram Valenchi." He bowed slightly.

Karma bowed his head, questions sated for now. He looks over to Avira at the mention of her, smiling softly as he sees her sleeping.
Very well then, Abram, thank you for your hospitality. I need to think of some things... Before I sleep... Excuse me.
Karma stands and walks out of the room, not realizing that he hadn't even touched his food. He looks up at the night sky, feeling the cool breeze on his face. His eyes were deeply troubled, and he seemed to be looking to the stars for answers.

Abram covered Karma's soup with a plate before he went to check on the children. He hoped the two could defeat the evil that had destroyed their kingdoms..

Avira shifted, but did not awaken.

Outside, the stars shone bright, the sky clear on the cool, crisp night.

Karma looks for a certain star, finding it twinkling like all the others. It was said that at birth, each child of Delain was given a star, and if they fulfilled whatever purpose they serve on this earth, they would become one with that star, along with all the other great heavenly warriors of the sky kingdom, Halla. It was also said that if you went above and beyond in your life as a true hero, you would become one with the sun, to become a sentinel for the ages. Karma looks to his star, asking for guidance, but he is too far away from his home, and they do not hear him.

• Love
Reactions: Kitten_
Avira did not sleep long, only about an hour. She sat up quickly, looking around before sighing quietly. "Just a dream.." she rubbed her eyes, yawning.

Karma and seems to be in a trance, looking up at the sky, his eyes full of confusion and no longer seeing the stars, but memories.

Avira looked around in confusion before she stood. She should sleep more, but she'd regained enough of her strength to walk well. She looked around again, noting the soft snores and muffles from the other room. She then walked to the door. Upon seeing Karma, she did relax some and walked to his side.
"Stars..." she barely whispered, her eyes flickering between each one.

Karma noticed Avira approach, giving her a sideways glance, and making a small sound of momentary laughter.
Is that all they are to you and your people?... My family is up there, wandering across the night sky... It was the plague that swept through Delain that took them. Siun offered us medicine, as they were familiar with it, but my uncle, the king, refused. Our pride destroyed a quarter of the population, and though I don't know about the rest of my family, I know that my father is guiding me...
Karma looks down, muttering about something in his eye before resuming.
He was Captain of the King's Guard before me, and looked after my uncle, just as I look after my cousin, the king... He is the only family I have left. If anything happens to him or anyone in my kingdom... I couldn't live with myself.