[Samuel x Roman]

s a m u e l

Samuel recovered from being sick a couple of days later and was back to his normal, stellar health, which also meant Roman didn't have to sub anymore. Samuel couldn't forget completely what Roman had said about Oksana, and he tried keeping an eye on her just to see if he could pick up on her acting the way Roman had described with anyone else. But she mostly just kept to herself and Samuel didn't even get many chances to catch her to talk with her and the more he thought about it the more it seemed like she was avoiding talking to people rather than wanting to talk to them but being to shy to.

Still Samuel didn't pay it too much mind, Roman probably wouldn't sub for a good while again and even if he did maybe she wouldn't be so on him the next time. So, life continued as normal without anything interesting happening for a while. After another fairly uninteresting work-week Samuel found himself cuddled up with his husband in their bed, watching a movie. Although watching a movie in this case was more of having a movie in the background while they were making out... Just a little bit. The kids had all gone to bed a couple of hours ago, so they had some time for themselves with no risk of getting interrupted by the kids.

Samuel was just letting the kisses trail down Roman's neck when suddenly they were disturbed by the sound of Roman's sound going of, "Aww really?" Samuel whined, "Don't answer if it isn't someone important please, we're busy,"

r o m a n
"Ugh," Roman complained as his phone rang. The audacity of people, calling so late on weeknights! Roman pulled away from his husband to pick up his phone from the bedside table and check the caller ID. It was Bella, as indicated by her name and the picture of her cosplaying as Daenerys Targaryen since she had dyed her hair blonde. Roman frowned. He was conflicted, because part of him really wanted to just ignore the call and return to Samuel, but ... Bella wasn't the type of person to call this late unless it really was important.

"Sorry,"
Roman said to Samuel as he answered the call. He put it on speakerphone so Samuel could hear and held it between them. "Hello?"

Roman was answered with the sound of Bella trying to say his name, but breaking off into tears. Roman immediately started to get worried. The last time they had received a call from Bella in this state, Blake had been assaulted. So, this didn't necessarily represent good news. "Bella? Bells? Are you okay? Is Delilah there? Do we need to come and help you?"

"N - No, don't worry, I'm fine,"
Bella choked. She was clearly miserable, but she seemed to be composed enough to speak coherently -- it was like she had been crying about whatever was wrong for a while, and she was still upset, but she was ready to speak about it. "I ... Delilah's here too, we found something out today ... I just need to talk to a friend about it as well."

"Okay,"
Roman said quietly. "Samuel's listening too, is that alright?"

"Yeah,"
Bella breathed. "I ... we ... we found out I can't have kids."

Roman's heart sank to his stomach, and his eyes widened in shock. That was truly saddening to hear. For as long as he could remember, Bella had always wanted kids. Even when they had been together she had dreamed of it -- that had been the one time Roman had been even considering having his own children, just to please her, whom he had loved with all of his heart. To hear that Bella couldn't carry a child, the one thing she had been most looking forward to her whole life, was ... it was awful. And if Roman felt bad, he couldn't imagine how she was feeling.

He was about to ask why, but she continued before he could say anything. "I don't really want to go into the specifics but basically there's something wrong with my uterus, I'd been having period problems for a while so that was why I went to get checked out, and it could possibly lead into endometriosis or some other problem down the line so I have to have a hysterectomy and I --" Bella broke off for a moment, overcome by another round of tears. "And I just can't have kids, Roman, fuck, there's literally no way I can physically do it and it hurts."

s a m u e l

Samuel let out a small sigh when Roman picked up the phone but the moment he heard Bella's crying he did not care at all what they had been doing anymore and re-adjusted his position to sit a little more upright. Something was very wrong and though Roman was closer to Bella Samuel valued her as a friend and he did not want to their friends to ever be this upset. But that was the case now so he sat quietly next to Roman and listened.

He immediately felt his heart drop when Bella finally revealed why she was calling. She couldn't have kids. Or well not carry them herself at least, and while that hadn't been important to Samuel and Roman it was quite clear that it had been important to Bella so this was truly terrible news. Samuel didn't one hundred percent know what was wrong with her based on her descriptions, but it didn't sound good and it truly sounded that there was no hope for it at all.

"Baby, it'll be okay," came Delilah's voice, a little muffled, probably from hugging Bella, and clearly not caring as much about the conversation on the phone as her girlfriend. Her voice sounded a little teary too, while this most definitely was the hardest for Bella it had to be hard for Delilah too. They had been planning on having a child together even if Bella was carrying it, so not only was she seeing her girlfriend suffer like this, but having their child in the way they had planned no longer was an option.

"But like is there really no way at all? I feel like hear stories about people thinking they can't have kids and then all of a sudden they do?" Samuel said carefully, he wasn't sure if he was being insensitive or something, he just didn't like the idea that Bella was having something so important from her and wanted to make sure that really was the chance, hoping that maybe there was a little bit of hope.

r o m a n
"No, there's definitely no way," Bella said with another small sob. "Th - they said that I have some cysts on my ovaries, and polyps inside my actual uterus. And there's a genetic risk of developing cancer in that region, and I don't really want to talk about it that much but basically my body would reject any fetus and they want me to have a hysterectomy."

"Bella ..."
Roman had no idea what to say. He didn't think there was anything he could say in this situation to make anything better at all. This was just so devastating for her. Any words he could offer in consolation, any suggestions or alternative methods of conception, would almost be like a slap in the face. "I ... I'm so sorry, I have no idea what to say."

"It's okay,"
Bella said hoarsely. "There's nothing that can be done about it ... I just needed to share it with someone, and you're my best friend."

Roman was choking up a little bit and wiped the tears out of the corners of his eyes. He felt touched that Bella held him in that regard but wished she had never had to tell him something as heartbreaking as this. "You can tell me anything."

"I know. I love you."

"I love you too. Is there anything we can do to help you feel better? At all?"

"No, not at the moment."
Bella let out a shaky sigh. "I ... just ... this was what I always wanted, you know? Even if I ended up with a woman, even if I'd have stayed with you, Roman, I'd always wanted to carry a baby and give birth and do all that and now I can't. And I've always felt I was born to do this, I was born to give life to another person. I was even willing to be a surrogate for you two or for anyone else who needed one, but now ... I feel like my purpose has been taken away, in a sense."

s a m u e l

Samuel couldn't begin to imagine what it would feel like to be robbed of something you had always dreamt of and wanted. He often didn't even know what he wanted until he already had it, or at least started progressing towards it, like how he didn't really know his call in life would be teaching until he started studying for it, or how he didn't know what he wanted most in life was a family until he and Roman decided they wanted a child. But Bella had had this one thing she wanted, one thing, and it was something most women would be able to do, but she couldn't. It was absolutely terrible. Samuel felt himself get a little teary-eyed, especially when she mentioned that should would have been willing to surrogate for them, if that had been how they decided to have children. Bella truly deserved better than this.

"Bella, carrying a child isn't your only purpose,"
Samuel tried.

"No but she really, really, wanted this and it fucking sucks that she can't do it," Delilah's voice said, a little less muffled at that point. She didn't sound angry at Samuel for saying what he said but it seemed like she thought that they should let Bella grieve the loss of what she had felt was her purpose, "he's right in a way, you weren't born to do this even if it feels that way now, no one's born to do anything, but that doesn't make the fact that you can't any less shitty,"

Across the line, another soft sniffle could be heard, Delilah was crying as well, "You're still gonna be a fucking fantastic mother one day though, no matter how it happens,"

r o m a n
"Thank you, baby," Bella whimpered to her girlfriend. It felt horrible to hear her speak like that. Bella was such a happy person most of the time, but this revelation had sent her into complete misery, and that was absolutely heartbreaking. Tears were rolling down Roman's cheeks but he made sure that his own physical sadness remained completely secret to the women on the other line. He didn't want to detract attention from Bella in this moment.

"Bella ... Delilah's right, you're going to be an amazing mother,"
he said softly. "No matter how you two choose to have children, you're both going to be amazing at it. And it's okay to grieve now, alright? You have the right to be upset about this and no one is going to try to take that away from you. We love you, all of us."

"I love you all as well,"
Bella sniffled. "I'm sorry to have called so late, I just ... I really needed some support."

"Don't be sorry. You can call us whenever you need. We're always here for you."

"Thank you. I think I'm going to go now, I need some sleep ..."

"Sure. I love you, okay?"

"I love you too. Thank you for everything."

Bella hung up the phone and Roman set his own on the bedside table. He wiped the tears from his cheeks with the back of his hand and laid down in the pillows. And then he started to openly cry.

"This is just so awful. Why did this have to happen to her?"

Last edited by a moderator:
s a m u e l

Samuel felt his own tears well over when Roman started to cry. He wiped them, though, and laid down next to Roman and pulled him close so he could comfort him to the best of his abilities. He let his hand rub his back gently and pressed a kiss in Roman's hair. It was so different from the passionate ones they had shared just minutes ago, this one was sweet and gentle, meant purely to comfort Roman. To make sure he had someone there who loved him and wanted him to feel better.

Though, this wasn't really about Roman, it was about Bella and Roman's tears were ones of empathy he cried for her, so Samuel gently replied to the question about their friend, "I know, I know, she doesn't deserve this, but sometimes life just doesn't work out the way we want it to," that was really the only way to see it, it was absolutely terrible, but it was life and there was nothing anyone could really do about it.

"She's going to be able to get past this at some point though, Bella is a strong person, and she has Delilah and all of us to help her through it, and she can still be a mother if she wants to, and then it might be easier for her to let go of it, hopefully, at least,"

r o m a n
"Yeah, I know, I just wish she could have this, because it's all she's ever wanted," Roman mumbled. He hid his face in his husband's chest and closed his eyes. To be pregnant and have a baby was all Bella had ever wished for. She had been picking out names since she had been a child, she knew everything there was to know about pregnancy. She had chosen to take care of children as a career, despite it being a difficult job that didn't pay very well, because she loved them so much.

But now her biggest hope and dream had been stolen from her, and Roman felt her pain.

"I ... I just hope they can find some way to have biological children because that's something that's always been important to her as well."
Bella had always wanted to have a child that was biologically hers. But if she had to have a hysterectomy ... it might not even have been possible to use a surrogate with her own egg. They might have to find another way.

Roman pulled back to look at his husband with bleary eyes. "I love you," he said. He felt that that was something he needed to say in this moment, to combat the sadness they were feeling. But Bella would hopefully be okay. She had Delilah and she had everyone else. Hopefully, she would find a way to heal from this, even if there was no way to change the situation itself. She deserved to be happy.

But happiness was often stolen from those who deserved it most.

s a m u e l

About a month passed after that terrible phone call from Bella and though Samuel would have wished things could turn out better for her or for her at least to get past it that wasn't the case and it would probably take a while until she was able to heal. And Samuel supposed that if there was anything they as friends could do to help her it was to give her that time and patience.

Life felt a little sadder for a while, but it still continued on, Samuel and Roman's routine didn't change even if they, and especially Roman, were sad for their friends. And really, currently, their own lives were going great which was also while Samuel got so worried when he received a call from Harper's school that Tuesday afternoon. Samuel was in the middle of his final class of the day and all the kids were working independently so he had stepped outside to take it. And it was odd, they had told him something had happened at school and that he or Roman needed to get there. Samuel told them that one of them would be there as soon as possible before hanging up. He then called and informed his husband and they decided that they'd both wrap things up at work and head over to Harper's school.

Samuel cut class short but only by about ten or so minutes as he wrapped it up while he waited for Roman to come pick him up, since they had carpooled that day. After what felt like way too long Samuel hurried into the car and buckled up, leaned over to kiss Roma's cheek hello and then quickly and with a lot of worry in his voice said, "I just don't understand what could have happened that needed us there so urgently,"

r o m a n
"I know, it's so weird. I don't like it."

Today, Roman's worry for Bella had just been replaced with worry for Harper. Their little boy had never had any problems at school before. He had never even been in trouble with his teacher. So, it was incredibly odd to get a call from the school requesting their presence urgently.

But of course they went. They walked into the front reception and were directed into the principal's office. The principal, a middle-aged man with greying brown hair and olive skin named Mr Davis, was sitting beside Harper's teacher, a sweet young Asian woman named Mrs Lee. Both of them wore somber expressions that just increased Roman's worry by a tenfold.

"The Hemlock-Ortegas,"
said the receptionist before leaving them.

"Please, sit down,"
Mr Davis said, gesturing to the seats on the other side of the desk. Roman and his husband sat down.

"What's wrong? Is Harper in trouble?"

"No, no, Harper hasn't done anything wrong,"
Davis reassured them. "But there's been an ... incident."

Roman's stomach sank with dread. "What happened?" he demanded.

Mrs Lee licked her lips, a worried expression on her face. "Harper ... at lunch today, he was playing with his friends and an older boy came up to them to try and take their ball. Harper said no, and ... and the boy beat him up. He was hit several times in the face and kicked in the stomach. The yard duty teacher got the boy off and brought Harper to the nurse's office, and he's fine, but we of course needed to let you know."

s a m u e l

The moment the word incident was brought up Samuel got more nervous. Incident was never a substitute for something good happening, and when they got the actual explanation Samuel just kind of stared until Mrs Lee was done talking. How could something like this have happened? How wasn't it stopped earlier?

"What?" Samuel said pushing out his chair a little in the process, as if he was on his way up. Their little baby boy was hurt, had gotten beaten up, kicked and punched, and they were just sitting there instead of comforting him when he probably was upset and scared. Harper was a really brave kid, but he was still very young and getting beaten up by someone who was older and bigger than you was really scary. Knowing this information made Samuel just want to storm off to the nurses office and hug their son.

But, as a teacher, he knew they were there in the office to get the full story and talk about it as adults first. He took a deep breath to try to calm himself down. If Harper was in the nurse's office he was with an adult that could help him with whatever. Samuel wanted to go there as soon as possible but things would be fine for just a couple of minutes, "Is Harper okay? And who is the other boy, has his parents been alerted so we can make sure this doesn't happen again?" he tried to sound calm and reasonable but honestly, he sounded a little angry, or at least upset, it wasn't fair on the principal and Mrs Lee but his child was hurt so he doubted anyone blamed him.

r o m a n
When the truth of what had happened was revealed to them, Roman did not react at all. At least, he didn't react externally. On the inside, he was absolutely fuming, so much that he felt like his stomach was boiling with rage. Their son had been beaten up. Hit several times in the face and kicked in the stomach, Mrs Lee had said. Roman felt like he was going to explode. Why were they just sitting here and talking about this? Why weren't they doing something?

"The other boy and his parents are speaking to the vice principal in his office,"
Davis said. "We're going to --"

"I want to speak to them,"
Roman interrupted, and his voice was icy cold. It was filled with anger, as well. Usually when he was angry it didn't show, but when he was as enraged as he was now, he couldn't control it.

"Sir --"

"I want to see them,"
Roman snapped. "I want to speak to the parents of the boy who hurt my child and I want them to explain why their son thinks it's okay to hurt kids younger than him."

"Sir, after their meeting is concluded, I will ask them to come and speak to you and your husband,"
Davis assured him, "but for now, would you like to see Harper?"

The prospect of seeing their son calmed Roman down slightly, so he nodded, and Mrs Lee got up to go and fetch him. Roman gripped Samuel's hand and held it firmly as they waited. After about a minute, the door opened and Mrs Lee came back into the room with Harper's hand in hers. Roman turned to face them, but when he saw his son, all anger was gone and he burst into tears.

Harper looked terrible. His bottom lip was split and puffy and his left eye was ringed with a terrible, shiny bruise, and it was almost swollen shut. He had a few vicious scratches on his left cheek as well. But the worst part of it all was the terrified way he was hiding behind Mrs Lee, and checking every corner of the room, as if he was afraid that his bully would jump out and attack him again.

Harper's one opened eye finally landed on his two dads. He let out a small whimpering noise and ran out from Mrs Lee -- Roman noticed how he hobbled and how he had one hand over his stomach -- and dashed over to his parents. Roman let out a loud sob and picked him up, sitting him in his lap. He lifted Harper's school shirt to see the angry, painful-looking purple bruise left on his soft stomach.

How could someone have done this to a small and innocent child?

"Oh my God, Harper,"
Roman whimpered, covering the bruise with the shirt and holding Harper close. Harper hid his face in Roman's chest, crying softly. Roman looked up at Samuel in horror. "Oh my God."

s a m u e l

Samuel wanted to feel relieved when Mrs Lee came back with Harper but he just couldn't. He wasn't sure what kind of damage he had imagined the other boy to have done, but it wasn't this? It was way too much and he just couldn't understand how another child could have hurt their sweet little baby so badly, not just because Harper was a nice kid who most definitely hadn't done anything wrong, Samuel knew Harper wouldn't, but just because the bruises were so harsh it must have been very violent.

As Harper hurried up to them, or rather limped because he was clearly still in pain, Samuel's tears welled over as well. He never wanted his children to have to experience something like beating beaten. This had been completely out of their control, but still Samuel wished they could have protected him from it so badly. He couldn't even Respond to Roman's shocked comment, because he couldn't even really put words to how upset the bruises made him.

He placed a gentle hand on Harper's back and softly nut also slightly shakily murmured, "It's okay baby, you're safe and we'll sort this out, it's going to be okay,"

They sat quietly for a while, sans for Harper's sobbing and the occasional sniffles from the little boy's parents. Samuel and Roman was just doing their best to comfort their little baby and it seem like Mrs Lee and Principal Davis were decent enough to allow them that moment. But it was abruptly interrupted by a knock on the office door. It was the vide principal who carefully informed that "Nathan's parents were ready to discussed what had happened," Samuel exchanged a look with Roman, they probably wouldn't be more ready to talk to them, at least Samuel wasn't crying anymore. So they confirmed that it would be okay, another set of chairs was pulled to the desk. Samuel scooted a little closer to his family, so Harper would know both his dads were there for him.

And so the other family came walking into the room. The father was a man at about Samuel's height, though probably a solid ten or so years older, he was pale tall, and was wearing a suit that fit a little too tight over his round figure. His expression was bored, slightly annoyed, clearly not pleased to be there. The child's mother was a shorter woman with a round face and a nice mousy brown bob cut, probably around the same age as her husband, she instead, looked genuinely worried. Nathan himself looked like he was about eight, maybe nine even. Not only was he much taller than Harper but he was heavier set so it was no wonder he had been able to do such damage. His hands were stubbornly shoved into his pocket and he was sporting a grumpy expression, and unlike Harper's his cheeks were completely dry.

They all sat down, Nathan between his parents, looking at the floor. The man reached out a hand to shake, "Roger Marsh, I'm sorry this is how we have to meet," his tone was flat and dry, but not in the way Matthew's was, no this was clearly an intentional sign of expression, and Samuel seriously doubted he was especially sorry about anything but the fact that he had to be there.

r o m a n
By the time the other boy and his parents entered Roman had stopped crying, but he had most certainly not stopped being angry. Roman, with his completely impassive angry expression, studied each of them carefully. Obviously he resented this boy, and he didn't like the dad either, simply because he didn't seem to care. The mother was a bit iffy, because she seemed to be worried, but that might have been for her own reputation or something like that, so Roman didn't know what to think of her.

He wasn't going to shake Roger's hand, but even if he had wanted to, he didn't get the chance. Harper, who had kept his face hidden in Roman's chest until now, looked up at the strange voice. Then, he sighted Nathan, sitting between his mum and dad, and let out an actual scream. Not a cry of protest or a complaining noise, but a true, piercing scream, not unlike the one he had given when that spider had crawled on him in the garden at their old house.

He was absolutely terrified of this boy.

Harper turned his face back into Roman's chest and cried loudly as he hid there. Roman put both arms around his son and held him tightly, but that scream almost made him break down. To know that his son was so terrified of another human being, another child, was horrifying. Roman didn't even know what to say to the other parents.

Davis looked between Harper and Nathan and seemed to decide that the most appropriate thing to do was get this meeting over with as soon as possible. "Well, Mr and Mrs Marsh, you've just seen the extent of damage your son inflicted. As he's only eight years old no criminal charges can be pressed on him but he's facing expulsion for this unless you manage to make amends with the Hemlock-Ortegas, or Nathan proves he is not a danger to the students of this school. Bullying will not be tolerated here."

s a m u e l

Hearing his son scream like that was absolutely terrifying in itself. Their poor little boy was scared to death of this older child because of how much he had hurt him. Samuel had to bite his lip not to react emotionally to himself and just kept a steady arm around him so he would feel as if he was protected from what scared him.

Roger actually looked a little taken aback at the outburst, but was quick back to looking a little annoyed. Nathan straight up glared, it clearly wasn't hard to imagine him being the kind of child to beat someone up for a toy. No one had a chance to really react properly to Harper though, before Davis made sure to get the meeting started. Samuel agreed with everything he said. If the parents couldn't see why they should make amends they wouldn't teach the child not to behave like this and the problem would continue.

Mr Marsh, seemed to disagree however, "Expulsion? They are just kids, I can't even count how many times me and people I considered my friends got into scuffles like that at their age, this is hardly that serious,"

"Their age?" Samuel questioned, sounding more upset than he did angry, "Harper isn't even six yet? They aren't even the same age? This isn't normal behaviour and either way violence shouldn't be excused."

Roger give him a dry look and then turned back to Davis without a word, "Listen, I refuse to believe Nathan acted in this way completely unprovoked, they are both boys, it's the kind of thing they do when they disagree, and I hardly think it's fair to punish Nathan only because of something they were both involved him, just because Nathan happens to be a couple of years older,"

r o m a n
Roman's anger flared up at Roger's response and suddenly he couldn't hold back his anger anymore, no matter how hard he was trying. "I'm sorry," he spat in a voice dripping in acid, "but I don't see your son covered in bruises."

Roman was shaking from head to toe, but he was firmly holding his son close. He had never had to have this sort of discussion with another parent. Most of Harper's friends were the children of their friends and his cousins, and they rarely had disputes. If they did, it certainly wasn't violent and it was always solved diplomatically. He had never had a problem with anyone from daycare and as far as he knew, he hadn't had any disagreements with his classmates from school either. But the problem wasn't even with the kids, it was with Roger and his inability to accept the possibility that his son was in the wrong.

If Harper had beaten a child into a pulp, he would be punished, and Roman would do everything he could to make it right with the parents and the child. If Harper had harmed a small boy three years his junior, it would not have been dismissed.

But Nathan was going to get away with this, at least by his father. Roman couldn't handle that.

"I don't see your son screaming when he sees ours. I don't see your son cowering in your arms because he's scared of another child. Your son is the aggressor here, your son is the one who beat ours so badly he can't even walk right. Your son is three years older than ours and about three times as big, so even if it had been a proper fight, Harper wouldn't have stood a chance. But it wasn't a fight, because Harper isn't like that, because he was raised with morals, which is apparently more than I can say for Nathan. This boys will be boys crap is disgusting and it endorses the idea that men and boys should resolve their conflict through physical violence. Which makes them into spouse beaters and child abusers."
Roman pried one hand off Harper to put it on his husband's arm. "Our son won't end up like that but if you don't fix how you discipline yours, then he will."

s a m u e l​

After Roger tried to explain things and get the blame of his child Roman just kind of exploded, and Samuel sat quiet, he wouldn't protest. He agreed with everything his husband was saying. Hell, Samuel had survived the consequences of parents raising their child believing violence was and okay solution to things. And even if he didn't like this child in the slightest he recognized that his behavior in part was a due to his parents and he did not want him to actually grown up to someone who abused people. For the other people in his life's sake.

"Okay, I don't know who you think you am but you are not allowed to tell me how I should raise my child, you can teach your children not to have a back bone all you want but I'm not going to allow some random guy make Nathan believe he is supposed to-"

"Roger, please," mrs Marsh suddenly pleaded, her voice was thin and eyes almost looked a little wet, she had a hand on Nathan's shoulder but Nathan didn't seem very pleased about that, "now is not the time, and besides, they are right. I don't want Nathan to go around beating up children younger than him, or any one for the matter," as she spoke her voice got a little more strength and confidence, "and I don't want you to jeopardize Nathan's education out of principle. It's good for him to learn to apologize,"

She then turned to her son and firmly said, "Nathan, you need to appoligize to Harper,"

"But mum," Nathan started, now seemingly not so confident in his anger anymore. But Mrs Marsh gave him a stern glare, as she said, "Nathan, appologize and promise you won't do this again,"

Nathan looked at her in a final attempt to bed her not to do it but she didn't budge. Nathan sighed and turned to the frightened younger boy and in a tone not dissimilar from the one his father had had when just arriving he said, "I'm sorry I hit you I won't do it again,"

r o m a n
Roman decided that Mrs Marsh was the only decent person sitting on that side of the room. He actually really appreciated her making her son apologise. It showed that Nathan had at least one parent who was able to see when he was wrong, which would greatly help him realise the error of his ways, both now and in the future. Also, it meant that Harper was going to get at least a little closure, and since he was the victim in this situation, that was the most important.

Roman moved his hand to Harper's hair and stroked it reassuringly. "Harper? Did you hear what Nathan said?" Roman didn't want Harper to just forgive Nathan like that, but he was going to leave that choice to him.

Harper slowly pulled away from Roman and very carefully turned around to face his bully. He had his fingers in his mouth and was pressed as close to Roman as he could get, but he said, in a small yet clear voice, "I accept your apowogy."

That wasn't an 'okay', it wasn't even forgiveness. It was the appropriate response. Harper had recognised the apology and had taken it in, but he wasn't going to excuse this behaviour. And that was good, because this type of behaviour was inexcusable.

Principal Davis nodded, and turned back to Roger and Mrs Marsh. "Thank you, Nathan, and thank you, Mrs Marsh. I'd just like to remind you that in enrolling your son at this school, you agreed to the terms that misbehaviour will be reasonably punished. We are known for being one of the safest schools in the area, so outbursts of violence such as this will absolutely not be tolerated. Nathan will remain as a student for now but he will be given five days of suspension, followed by a week of detention. This will also go on his permanent record.

For a moment it actually looked like Roger was about to protest but Mrs Marsh gave him the same kind of look as she had given their son and he didn't protest.

"Thank you so much for giving Nathan another chance, we will make sure he doesn't waste it," she then stood, took Nathan's hand and motioned for her husband to come along, and she turned finally to the Hemlock-Ortegas, "I hope we don't meet like this the next time, and I'm so very sorry this happened at all it won't happen at well,"

The other family then left, mrs Marsh was probably dragging them out before they could mess things out. There was a small silence after they left. Samuel spoke first, while running a gentle hand over Harpers hair, they would have to praise him for responding so well to the apology later, "thank you so much for sorting this out, we would hate it if Harper didn't feel safe at school,"

r o m a n
"You're welcome," Principal Davis said with a sigh. He leaned back in his chair and watched Harper as he played with his fingers. "We hate that this has happened in our school, and to such a sweet child. Is there anything we can do to help further?"

"Just ... make sure he doesn't come near Harper again,"
Roman requested. If he found out that Nathan had even looked at Harper threateningly after this, he would go ballistic. He absolutely would not allow his child to go to school in fear of another student, even if that student was just a child himself.

"Of course,"
said Davis. "Thank you for coming in."

Roman carried his son out to the car, even if he was a little too old for it, and gave him a kiss when he buckled him in. On the way home, they stopped by a store and Roman let Harper pick out any snacks and sweets he wanted, and also let him choose dinner. Then, when they got home, Roman ran him a nice warm bath in his en suite with muscle relaxant products from Lush and Harper's favourite bath bomb.

Once he got out and got dressed, Roman took him up to his and Samuel's bedroom, where he sat their son on the edge of their bed and carefully applied his own bruising cream to each area of Harper's body that had been harmed. Roman almost couldn't believe the extent of the damage. The assailant was a child -- how could a child be so violent?

"Harper,"
Roman murmured as he applied the bruising cream to his son's black eye, "you know that what Nathan did was wrong, right? Even if Nathan's dad thinks it's okay because you're both boys. It's not okay. You can't be violent against anyone."

"I know,"
Harper said quietly. "He was scary, Daddy. I twied to get him off but he was too big."