FateGuard

Eric quietly maneuvered behind Ferrick, his back against a pile of rugs, his sword ready in hand.

He did not believe that Ferrick was the werewolf; too much seemed off with that concept. There was the possibility that he was enthralled. It would not be the first time a member of their illustrious order had been compromised. All things considered, the evidence pointed more toward Ferrick being used. But if Ferrick attacked then he would have to be disabled.

The tension in the air, as more heavy mists flowed into the room chilling everybody. Ferrick's torch was the only light source in the room, casting macabre shadows off of the walls. Leonardo held the crucifix toward Ferrick's chest; the watchman seemed to be confused, as if watching everything from a distance. Eric tensed, waiting for any sudden violent actions.

As Corben drew attention to it, Ferrick's eyes drifted to his side, widening in confusion and panic. With no regard for decorum or decency he shed his coat and shirt, until his side was bared, revealing a rough attempt at bandaging what looked like a short slash from the line of blood seeping through the bandages. They were rough, and anyone experienced with the medical arts would call it an amateurish attempt. His face had a look of real shock and utter confusion as he gingerly touched the bloody patch, pulling his hand away quickly as he felt the sting of pain.

His breathing turned into the short, shallow breaths of panic as he lifted his eyes to the others, looking from one to the other in an attempt to find some ally, some friend. What he saw was Leonardo advancing upon him, a look of fear from Alyss, Corben ready to draw his sword on him, Eric behind with blade at the ready. On all sides, looks of fear and distrust.

"What... what is this? When I have ever... Why doesn't you trust me? How many nights have I spent on watch, walking walls of the city? Last night I was fighting dragons! I was there, keeping the male from taking off! He beat me around with his tail! I'm not the werewolf! I'm not!" The last sentence was almost accompanied by tears, as he tried to reach some way that he could back away from the accusatory stares, but there was nowhere to go, nowhere that someone would not look ready to attack him.

Though there were many things he could have said, none of them were what he truly meant to say, the next words that came from his lips: "Why... why are you doing this?"

"Touch the cross."

The demand barely left his lips, whispered so quietly that it was carried away with the sounds of the mist shifting to and fro. It was clear that he had been whipped into silence by Corben. But Tahan stared at Ferrick, as one would stare at an eclipse, helpless to behold the beauty while being blinded. A strange fascination was on his face, like a child who finds endless entertainment from watching the guts of a caterpillar ooze out as he squeezes it.

The light from the torch flickered off his pupils.

Alyss finally raised her bow and moved slowly. Her gaze was hard and cold, perhaps even anger hid within the depths of her dark eyes. As she finally stopped walking, she moved her bow- not towards Ferrick, but towards Saint and Tahan.

"Give him a moment to think and collect himself. Otherwise, I will give you a very painful injury- not life threatening, but it will be enough to deter you." Alyss hissed, pulling the arrow back a little further, the silver point gleamed in the moonlight as she stood there. "Why should we put our faith in a god that doesn't exist- that doesn't love all of his little children. This place is nearly damned anyways- what will some faithless blessing do to our people? Let him be- just for a moment." She added roughly- loosening her bow for a moment to take her other special arrow and threw it Ferrrick's way, lightly. "It's got a good amount of silver in it as well... You need not worry, Ferrick- if anything has happened, I shall make sure that you will be alright." She gave the man a grim smile before drawing her arrow again, resuming her threat.

"Even if he is changed- it doesn't mean that he is no longer our kin... He's gone through many battles with us... we can't forget that. He's one of us; I won't let any harm befall him... I'll take it upon myself to insure he is safely tucked away if.... if something has happened- and Malwin can surely concoct a poison in the event that the safety of the people is at stake." She looked to Corben- seeking safety and reassurance, lowering her bow only slightly.

"He's still FateGuard, just the same as any of us." She murmured quietly.

The mage's eyes narrowed in suspicion, more curious than aggressive unlike the rest of his comrades. If what Malwin had said about the creature was correct, then what sort of sin could Ferrick have done? It was true that the man was dedicated to the Fateguard, he had seen it for himself. But still, if he harbored some sort of monstrosity within him it would be best to ensure that none of them got hurt.

Atlas nodded to Alyss, his blue eyes flickering to her bow, turning then to the cross still being held out. The interrogation would be dealt by all of them, swiftly and hopefully justly. But that was what this was, an interrogation. There was no confession, no evidence as of yet. Perhaps Corben would call him silly but Atlas would not be one to focus on a possibly innocent Ferrick if the real murderer was still abound.

"There is no cure for such a disease, at least none that has been made by us." His eyes roamed around the room, and towards the stairs looking for any sort of evidence, perhaps some hair or a slashed item. His pale lips barely moved as he spoke. "But if Ferrick is what we... Believe he is, I could start working on an antidote. I am curious though Ferrick, have you committed any sort of sin recently? Even if it is a small one?"

An instant feeling of contrition flooded through Erilyn. She hardly noticed that Alyss was edging close to her, for she had begun slowly advancing herself. Her face was paled with fear, though her helmet mercifully concealed most of her face. She felt as though she had led to the suspicion, though it was likely more the clues than anything. Still, had no one listened to her, she thought desperately. They were jumping to suspicions, all the while judging her for being suspicious. Her expression was surprised, but her features were twisted into a frown. Her hand sought Alyss's, which was shaking, and gave it a gentle squeeze.

Ferrick seemed desperate now, glancing around with fright. Dipping her head against her chest, Erilyn felt regretful for having helped call the suspicion upon Ferrick. "We're not focusing on finding the werewolf anymore! That was the main reason for coming here. The old man said that he saw the beast run this way, but Ferrick was with us. " She had come closer now, standing no longer at the base of the stairs and was instead an arm's length from Ferrick. "If we become distracted, the murderer may escape."

She took a slow step toward Ferrick, trying not to cause him any more fright than the panic he already seemed to be experiencing. "Let me see your leg, Ferrick? My chains are blessed and perhaps it will speed the recovery of your wound." She was biting her lip now, trying to remain strong.

Dyne could not believe what he was hearing. The murderer was now thought to be one of the very people that they were all meant to trust without question. It was absurd... and yet, somehow he knew that it was still possible. With all the things that go on in and around this city, anything was possible. Even so, he didn't want to believe it.

Then a thought occurred to him. If it turned out that Ferrick wasn't the murderer after all, then that meant that whoever, or whatever it was, was still out there. With that in mind, Dyne spoke out.

"Corben, sir. A thought. If Ferrick isn't actually the killer, then this whole situation would be a waste of valuable time. Perhaps some of us should scout around just in case?"

Leonardo's eyes widened with surprise at both Ferrick and Alyss' response to his actions. It angered him actually. Ferrick thought he did not trust him? Alyss thought he was trying to harm him? On top of it all she had to open her mouth about how the God he worshipped meant nothing to her. Even after all the times he had never done anything terrible to the girl so many others scorned. Did she not remember the conversations they shared while Leonardo learned the medical arts from her master? Rage wanted to burst through his bandages. . . he could feel it. Now with compassion in those sterile azure eyes he spoke even more plainly than before to make his objective clear to those who obviously had no trust in him whatsoever.

"Ferrick I DO trust you. I'm trying to give you a chance to prove to those who DO NOT trust you that you are not the Werewolf. If you touch this cross and nothing happens, then you are innocent beyond the reproach of anyone. Right now the longer we stand here the more time is wasted. According to Malwin's book this is the FASTEST way to prove your innocence. So that we may MOVE ON."

His words could not have been spoken any truer. Unless the others were determined to make anyone of the Christian faith into 'the real monster'. . . perhaps now they would listen to his logic. A few might even find he had not brought religion into the matter at all. It just so happened that the silver item in question was a cross. Even further proof of Saint's belief that Ferrick remained human when he actually took his eyes off the 'potential' Werewolf to look straight back at the woman who readied her arrows not only at him but Tahan as well. Alyss had angered him thoroughly by claiming his God did not exist and it showed when he spoke to her with very little restraint. Leonardo refused to bring up her questionable past though, trying to keep faith that the Archer he had respected for her skills and her aid in the past was simply letting her emotions twist her tongue without realizing the venom in her words. Now all of his attention went into trying to control a temper just looking for an excuse to cut loose. Despite all the rage he felt though. . . he refused to let himself sink to saying that she was defending Ferrick so readily out of her own past as an outcast.

"HOW DARE YOU CLAIM THAT GOD DOES NOT EXIST! How DARE you imply that I have ceased to see him as one of the FateGaurd? If I planned to attack him I WOULD HAVE. Did you not even LISTEN when I said I had faith in Ferrick? I want him to touch the cross because it is SILVER. The book said Werewolves hide burns at the touch of SILVER. If NOTHING HAPPENS then NO ONE will have a right to lay a hand on him. Or do you have so little faith in the wisdom of the book that it took you and Malwin so long to recover? Why even RETRIEVE it if you will not even heed the words within?!"

If Alyss pushed him much further. . . something was going to give.

Disturbed by the outburst of his 'parent,' Tahan hesitantly placed a hand on Leonardo's back. His pupils contracted, returning from their dilated, hypotized form.

"THAT'S ENOUGH!!!"

Derek could have sworn he saw a few people in the room jump when his voice cut through the room. Pulling off his helmet, Derek's face was something intense. Commanding even, "Look at yourselves! All of you! You're letting paranoia take hold of you like a man being chased in the dark by something he cannot see! Alyss, lower that goddamn bow right now! Leonardo, calm yourself! The last thing we need is to let ourselves get caught up in some...some...moment! People are in danger and here we are bickering like old women! Malwin's book has told us what to do, so let us get to the bottom of this. If Ferrick isn't the werewolf then we've already alerted it with our shouting, or even worse, it could be out killing more people!"

Derek turned and looked to Ferrick, clasped his hands on the torchbearer's shoulders, and looked him in the eyes, "Ferrick. Listen to me. I trust and believe in you. If I seem tense, its because I'm concerned for the safety of not only the FateGuard, but for Gothenheim itself. We need to determine...if you're the werewolf or not. If you aren't then with all my heart I apologize for this. If you are, then we need to find you help. A cure. Something!" having said what needed to be said, he turned to Corben, "Goddammit, Corben, say something! You're the leader of the FateGuard! Not me!"

"The time for words is over."

The marshall's sword lifted, its tip hovering before Derek's chest. The eyes of leader and lieutenant met. "Stand aside."

There was silence. Corben glanced to those around him. "Alexander, secure Ferrick's hands. Eric, take his spear. Everyone else, stand back." His eyes flashed at Erilyn. "Leonardo will press the silver to his flesh, and we shall know before God himself the truth of this night."

Peering beyond Dererk's shoulder, the marshall locked stares with the surrounded watchman. "Ferrick, my friend, I ask you to yield. I will not ask a second time."

A pause of moments, before the marshall's shout cut the silence again. "WE ARE FATEGUARD! WE PLEDGE OURSELVES TO THE CITY, FORSAKING FRIENDS AND FAMILY. If he is cursed, we must destroy him. If he has murdered, he must face justice. THIS IS OUR DUTY."

Alexander was already moving.

(Musical Ambience: Footsteps of Destruction)

Derek looked down upon Corben's sword, the tip pointed at the chest of his breastplate. Not so much a threatening gesture as one to make a point. Perhaps Derek overstepped his bounds when he tried to bring order to the room? Maybe when he grabbed Corben's wrist to restrain him? It mattered not. Corben was taking lead, and Derek was in no position to say otherwise. He wordlessly shifted to the side and turned to face Corben and Ferrick as he placed the helmet of the Regalia over his head again, replacing his face with the mantle of duty once again. Briefly wondering what his parents would have said in this situation he looked on silently as the scene began to unfold before him. Corben was right. If Ferrick was the werewolf they would have to kill him, no matter how it disgust him. What disturbed him however was how adamant Corben was about the entire situation. He hadn't even entertained Derek's idea of finding help for Ferrick, or the repercussions that could come of killing a member of the FateGuard. At least not vocally he hadn't. Derek wordlessly promised himself that if it did come to blows and he was forced to battle Ferrick that he would fight, but he would not land the killing blow unless it meant an innocent life being lost.

"Haaa...Have I always been such an idealistic, naive fool...?"

A mirthless smile twitched at the corner of Eric's lips as the word "cure" kept being tossed around by his fellow FateGuard comrades. If only it was so easy. In some cases when the FateGuard member was compromised the only cure was a humane death. Such as that given to the previous gate watchman, who under the influence of a witch nearly opened the city gates, or of Folleit, who while a FateGuard member was also a vampire. Boasts and promises of loyalty to the city could easily be twisted with whispers in the dark. Had Eric not seen that in his time as a FateGuard member?

Still Ferrick being a werewolf seemed unlikely, larger forces than that were seemed to be at work here. Without flourish Eric sheathed his sword and calmly approached Ferrick, a single hand held out in a nonthreatening gesture.

"Until this manner is resolved Ferrick, if you would please, your spear and other weapons." Eric spoke with a reassuring tone, ignoring the glare from Alyss.

Arkavenn nodded. He shouldn't enter the house as of yet. If things really got ugly in there, him swinging his hammer around would probably break a beam or too. Arkavenn wasn't like the others - most of them, if not all were .. How do you put it? Normal sized? Arkavenn was a giant, to speak so bluntly. He was the tallest and largest man in the city and probably the strongest in terms of physical strength, too. He was more of a sponge for the team, there to soak up damage. Him and his thick armour could take even a battering ram. He was more suited to fight out in the open, surrounded by enemies and free to swing his hammer whichever way he wanted, seeing as whatever he hit would be something he should be hitting anyway. Arkavenn couldn't promise that he wouldn't accidentally break a pillar or two if he started fighting inside a building. That was a reason why tavern fights were very, very rare in Gothenheim. No one wanted Arkavenn involved.

The giant looked warily at the mist. His eyes were alert like that of a hawk, shining out from underneath the helmet as he drew his hammer. Arkavenn was akin to a golem, a silent sentinel, strong and unmoving. The guardian to the house. If a werewolf did show up, out from within the mist it was going to have quite a challenge to deal with. After all, teeth and claws would find it quite difficult to tear through the thick armour that he wore. Heck, sometimes it didn't even look like armour, just a few metal plates stacked together and hammered together. However, Arkavenn still trained a ear on whatever was going on within the house. He wanted to make sure he remained on par with everyone. Being left outside the house meant that he wouldn't be part of the investigation.

However, Arkavenn started to turn around, his focus on the mist slipping away when sounds of verbal conflict came from the inside of the house. What was going on? He narrowed his eyes, inching ever closer to the hole in the wall so that he could hear what was going on inside clearer. Ferrick? The werewolf? The idea itself was preposterous .. Then he thought back to when he heard them saying the holes in the house came from the inside, and how old the scratches in the house were.

A growl emanated from the depths of his throat when he heard Tahan speak, then Leonardo. It wasn't that he felt Ferrick should be given preferential treatment when it came to the investigation because he was part of the FateGuard, but aren't they coming down a little too harsh on him? For a man to find out that he was possibly the cause of the murders would be a great shock - furthermore, Ferrick was supposed to be one who protected the city. That would amplify the shock.

In the end, Arkavenn decided to enter the house. He walked inside, though he still kept close to the entrance so he could step out any time if things turned ugly inside. He wanted to speak on a couple of occasions, but he decided against it and let someone more .. respected go first. He knew he wasn't the most well-respected man in the FateGuard, what with the rumours surrounding his birth and how he was a huge drunkard and always showed up late for work. Frankly, Arkavenn had thought about changing his ways but .. He would rather be himself more than anything. He would hate himself if he changed himself too much just to have others like him more. He was here to defend, not to run a popularity campaign.

"Let's not make things to difficult for everyone, guys." Arkavenn finally rumbled. Although it was spoken like a whisper, the low voice of the giant reverberated throughout the house, audible to the group in there. He stood up straight against the open door and the hole, the shadows falling over his figure and shrouding much of him in darkness.

He took a more defensive stance.

[DASH=gray]Aloysius was slightly disturbed by the tension that was clearly escalating in the room. That was very bad...anyone could see that. He didn't want to distrust Ferrick...And while him being a werewolf was possible, he didn't want it to be the absolute truth. Everyone was shouting and yelling and Alyss even raised a weapon. Aloysius kept his eyes and Ferrick and after Derek's outburst where everyone became quiet, Aloysius spoke in what he hoped was a gentle and soft manner.

"Ferrick..." Aloysius began, pulling his hands up into the air slowly in a sign of peace. "I don't mistrust you. I agree there are some...things that I don't understand. But I don't mistrust you." He paused, then added delicately "Is there anything you wish to say to us? Anything? It doesn't matter what it is, as long as you wish to say it." Judging by Ferrick's nervous state and silence, he didn't. "Okay, you don't. That's fine." He took a small step closer, hoping that Ferrick would take it a mere sign of wanting to understand and not an act of trying to provoke. "Ferrick, if it makes you feel better, I will listen to whatever you have to say. In private if nessacary."

Aloysius thought he should try being gentle first in an attempt to coax an already burning fire between the FateGuards. If he had to, he would get aggressive. But he would try not to. Ferrick didn't want to talk though, so there was nothing he could do. He took a step back and clasped his hands behind his back. Leonardo stepped forward to bring the silver to Ferrick's flesh.

Aloysius hoped Ferrick wold consider his offer of talking to him. Maybe it would clear some things up.[/DASH]

[SPOILI]Aloysius, in an attempt to calm everyone and ease Ferrick, offers to talk and listen to Ferrick. Then he steps back and waits to see what happens next.[/SPOILI]

He had to follow orders. He had to follow orders. Alexander had never considered anyone in the ranks as potential adversaries. However he could never show that his resolve was weak, that he didn't want to do something he was asked.

The cloaked knight nodded to Corben and began moving.

In the twilight he walked slowly behind his comrade, grasping out for his hands, careful to restrain the power of his gauntlets. Alex stood behind Ferrick, gently but firmly anchoring his hands around the man's wrists. "I'm sorry, friend, I wish I didn't have to do this."

"No you don't! You don't have to do this! I'm not the werewolf! It's not me! Please, why won't you trust me?" Ferrick's eyes were restless, his mind racing to fast to focus on any one thing, seeing enemies in every face. His attention was drawn behind him as Alexander restrained his hands, struggling but finding no leverage or release, just the same grasp. He was so frantic about Alexander's restraining that the slowly advancing cross fell from his mind, until he felt it's touch on his chest.

For an instant he remembered being young and going outside to collect an icicle hanging from the roof, feeling the biting cold of the ice almost like heat without warmth. At first the silver felt cool to the touch, but Ferrick quickly realized the contradiction, as his skin suddenly felt aflame. He yelled in surprise, pain, and anguish, and slowly something else crept into his voice. His skin twitched, like someone clenching their muscles, but this was every in of skin at once. With a monstrous strength he wrenched out of Alexander's grasp, staggering into the middle of the room, looking as though his body was about to rearrange itself as his hands went to his head as he shouted at something unseen, at no one in the room but but something behind his eyelids, "YOU'RE NOT RIGHT!"

He sunk to his knees, and it slowly subsided, feral yells replaced by whimpers as he slumped forward, hanging his head, not able to look at any member of the Fateguard now, his shoulders not shaking with the wolf trying to release itself but shaking in sobs as his tears fell on the floor. Ferrick knew the truth now as well as any of them did, and knew it more painfully and more closely than any of them could know. The truth that had been staring him in the face since they first came down the alley.

That the wolf had been inside the Fateguard all this time.

Alyss's eyes widened at what had happened before her- disbelief colored her featured before, slowly, it sunk in.

"Ferrick..." She whimpered under her breath, the pain that he knew was something she had feared all her time in the FateGuard, and she couldn't watch it.

She couldn't stand by... but... she couldn't...

The archer who had raised her bow in defense of the man, now picked up one of her dropped arrows and turned on her heel, looking to Malwin before lowering her eyes to the ground. She couldn't stay there, if she did- something stupid was bound to occur, and she couldn't bare the thought of what was going on...

Surely they weren't going to hurt him.... They couldn't...

Alyss bit her lip. "I... Believe I should go... I... don't trust myself right now." She muttered darkly in monotone. She thought of her mentor, she thought of the servants and the plants she had brought home. There was plenty for her to do there, to take her mind off of this. She knew she was already on bad footing with some of the FateGuard, and she didn't want to squander that. She couldn't stay and watch this. What she wanted was Malwin... something about his touch always reassured her... made her feel normal... human... but what if she was like Ferrick? Just trying to bide time and ignore the truth?

She was too close and too biased to stay- and she didn't expect Malwin to follow, he had his duties and he was level-headed, more than she was right now.

"If I am needed, send for me." She managed to say, her jaw clenched in both fear and anger as she spoke through her teeth- then walked away, holding her bow to her chest. She wouldn't disgrace herself, and she wouldn't do anything that might speak badly of her or her mentor's guidance. Maybe for once, she could talk to him, about her problems and her issues, and maybe... maybe this time, he would give her some words of wisdom instead of glancing at her and telling her to do something to take her mind off of it.

It was only after she was out of sight of the group that she started to shake, fear taking hold of her.

What if that was her one day? People around her had been counting the days, always waiting, talking... talking about what she'd turn into. With so many rumors... it wouldn't be a surprise... and... if something were to happen, how would the FateGuard deal with her? Would she be put on trial... or killed on the spot?

She tried to silence her fears and clear her mind as she walked, yet it was hopeless. She paused in an alleyway and crouched against the wall, just sitting in the shadows, trying to figure out what to do with herself.

There was a pause of moments. Moments in which Alexander and Leonardo recoiled. Moments in which Alyss fled the room and Arkavenn cursed aloud.

Moments in which Corben acted, for the sake of the FateGuard and all he believed in.

His footing shifted as Ferrick collapsed to his knees, one foot trailing while the other flanked. It twisted the Marshall into position, alongside the cursed soldier, with both hands on his blade. The movement was rapid, as only one compelled by instinct could muster.

No questions. No hesitation. He was a Farborn, a child of the pilgrims, and to the city he was sworn.

Corben's blade swung towards Ferrick's neck.

Revelations fell upon the entire FateGauard the second Ferrick failed the test. Alyss, one of the few others equipped with silver, abandoned them in an instant. For all his faith and loyalty, Leonardo felt deceived beyond all else. Though given how Alyss had threatened him earlier perhaps it was for the best. Despite the shocking truth he had not lost himself to emotions. Compassion remained in his heart but he would not allow it to get in the way of protecting his comrades. Instead he focused with steely resolve on one objective. Two steps off to the side he had gone, unsure if werewolves possessed accelerated transformation speed. Not always a good idea to stand right in front. If Ferrick transformed too fast he just might find himself overpowered. More importantly he had never seen how large a Werewolf was since he had not met one in the flesh until now. For all he knew their arms grew to a grotesque length to give them greater combat range.

"Attack while Fer-. . . while the beast changes!"

Leonardo charged forth to aid Corben, dodging over to the side and already winding up a swing aimed for the pre-existing wound. Strike hard where it would hurt the most with what hurt most against these cursed creatures. Both arms moved with the might of a fearsome finality while the Combat Crucifix left naught but a silver streak behind it. So long as his blow landed their opponent would end up crippled with pain. On the off chance Corben missed or the blade found itself deflected, Leonardo kept both blue eyes alert to as much movement as possible. No need for falling victim to friendly fire or losing any bandages.

If there is no cure he cannot be allowed to harm anyone else. We must free his soul, rather than let him live on as a cursed being.

Saint would dodge and weave the best he could given the weapon he carried to counter any retaliation from their opponent. If another stepped in to take a strike he would not stand in their way at all. Yet there was only so much room to fight. No room for mistakes now turned into a rather literal piece of advice. Each of them were immediately forced into close quarters combat with little space to utilize. Only by turning it to their advantage might the FateGuard succeed with minimal damage. On the off-chance he got a shot at the spine his next swift blow fell upon it.

He must not escape! I won't let it take even a step toward Tahan!