Assassin's Doubt

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Hayden nodded and followed Thomas closely. When Thomas opened the door and apologized, Hayden simply chuckled and shook his head. "Hey, it's cleaner than where I lived." He said softly as he walked in. He looked around curiously before walking to the books. "That's a lot of books.." he scanned over the titles some.

Thomas offers a lopsided smile and bumps the door closed behind him with his foot. "Sure is. Lots of mysteries, detective stories, psychology textbooks, declassified case files - anything I can get my hands on to be a better detective. Feel free to borrow some," he adds. "Oh, and by the way . . . how about telling me what exactly's going on with the crime ring over supper?"

He heads for the kitchenette and cranks up the stove before sliding a frying pan onto the surface. "Do you like grilled cheese? And bacon?" he adds. He neglects to mention they'll be cooked together. With any luck, Hayden will enjoy his favorite meal as much as he does.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Kitten_
"Sure." Hayden said as he sat down on a clean section of the couch. He curiously leafed through the books, looking for interesting ones. The assassin wondered how much he should tell Thomas. Just about the crime network... about how he was got involved? He figured he should just tell about the network. He didn't really feel like explaining his own past.
"Grilled cheese and bacon... sounds good." He nodded.

It doesn't take long for the meal to be ready. Thomas wanders over to the couch with two plates and cans of soda, holding one of each out to Hayden before flopping down beside him. He takes a huge bite of his own sandwhich and sighs contently. Then he grabs a notebook and pencil to start writing. "Okay. If we're bringing down a crime ring, I mostly need names, where to find the big bosses, and what the ring's plans are," he says, his mouth still full of cheese. "Think you can fill in some blanks?"

"James, He's the big guy you'll have to get through first. He basically makes the lists of who needs to be taken out. Pasor Rosemond is the head, he's my legal father. Uhm... let's see... Tracie, you'll need to get her behind bars before you can reach Pasor. He controls it all, but she's basically his bodyguard. Uhm... I can show you where they hide out, but you'll have to be careful. They've got guards everywhere. Literally everywhere." He rubbed his eye and took a bite of the sandwich. He paused a moment... then nodded, humming his approval. "It's good." He said after swallowing and taking a sip of the coke.

"Great. We'll arrest them one at a time, maybe leave a day or two in between so no one gets too suspicious," Thomas says, scribbling furiously as he gulps down his sandwhich. He takes a swig of coke and nods. "So where's James hiding out at? We'll go after him tomorrow."

He can't help but smile when Hayden compliments the strange sandwhich combination. "Glad you like dinner. How's your eye, by the way? Need some more ice or a painkiller?"

Hayden suddenly stopped. He frowned. "There's someone else... But I don't know who they are." He set the sand which down. "James is about a mile north of the gas station." He said and calmed down a little, realizing he got too worked up. "A painkiller would be nice actually, if that's not too much trouble.." he took another bite of the sandwich, rubbing the other side of his head.

Thomas smiles and points a thumb at himself and Hayden. "Don't worry. There are two detectives on this case. We'll figure it out." He hops up from the table and grabs a bottle of aspirin from the bathroom, handing it to Hayden along with a glass of water. "Okay, so James is a mile north of the gas station. What kind of hideout does he have? Is he by the abandoned railroad tracks, or closer to the docks near Trout Lake?"

Hayden couldn't help but smirk. He took one of the aspirins and sipped on the water. "Two story, simple cottage house. Meets with a man we always called Shade, his real name is Sean. Never suspicious because he also runs a branch of one of the banks. You'd never know he was in the network unless you were on the inside." He sat back and munched on the sandwich, about halfway through.

"Mmhm," Thomas mumbles, nodding and scribbling in his notebook. "Got it. Two story cottage and meets with Shade, alias Sean, the banker. Normally I'd let the cops handle things and send them over to deal with this, but . . . I want to see if we can't get a bit more information out of James first. I'm thinking of staking out his house and spying on him. What do you think?" He grins and holds out a tattered, worn book. "It's one of the easiest techniques to learn. You just have to be quiet and careful."

Hayden nodded, smirking again. "I think I can handle that." He said before he finished his sandwich. He shifted to get more comfortable.

"Thank you, Thomas.." he said after a few minutes, looking down.

Thomas raises an eyebrow and sets his plate and can of coke aside. "What's eating you? I thought you'd be pumped to get after the crime ring. You were ferocious out there earlier," he adds. He stays on the couch beside Hayden, patiently waiting for him to talk so he can figure out what's going on with his new friend.

• Love
"I'm just... this is all new to me. I'm used to being yelled at and hearing horrible things and just sitting in my room watching the time tick by, waiting until I'm told to go to another meeting or kill someone or hack a security system or anything like that." He rubbed his face. "I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a downer. I.. I probably just need some time to adjust." Hayden looked at Thomas with a weak smile.

Thomas clears his throat and rubs the back of his neck. "Uh . . . I guess I could yell at you if you want? But seriously, things are different here. Really different, from the sound of it. You know what movies are, right? And hugs? And owning pets? Things like that?"

He'd had no idea the kind of things Hayden had been through. He'd admitted that earlier. But to hear them from Hayden's personal experience has him floored.

Hayden chuckled. "I'd prefer no more yelling.. but yeah, I know what those are. Watched movies, never really got hugs and the only pet I had was a German shepherd, but it got really sick and passed." He looked up at the ceiling. "I knew what life was like outside the walls... I watched everyone else live it, and yeah, I wanted a life like that, but I got used to not having one." He shrugged as if it was no big deal, and to him it really wasn't.

"Well, you're going to get used to it again," Thomas promises, reaching over in an attempt to give Hayden a hug. He smiles and tilts his head. "So you like dogs, right? This is a pet friendly apartment. How about we get a guard dog for extra protection? Someone to watch our backs when we can't? There's a shelter and a pet store just a short walk from here," he adds. Maybe the addition of a dog will help Hayden feel more at ease. After all, Thomas hasn't hosted anyone in a long time. A dog would be much better at comforting Hayden than he would.

Hayden hesitantly returned the hug and nodded a little. "A dog sounds nice.." he said with a faint smile. "But again... thank you. For giving me a chance." He said calmly, still smiling faintly. He looked at the books again.

Thomas grins and reaches for a few of the books to sort through them. "You saved my life when you had plenty of chances to kill me. You can't be all bad." After sifting through the titles, he selects a tattered book with a leather cover and hands it to Hayden. "Here. One of the first detective books I ever read: The Mystery of the Cloaked Statue. Taught me most of the basic skills I now possess. Not to brag," he adds with a laugh. His skills are barely developed yet, and he knows it.

• Love
Hayden looked at it curiously. "It looks old.. not that it's bad, that makes it all the more valuable." He smiled. Sitting back, he rubbed his shoulder. "I don't think I could be a detective. Maybe a bodyguard... not a detective though." He shrugged. He looked up at the ceiling for a long moment before looking back to Thomas. "Do you mind if I change? I've got an extra pair of clothes in my bag and these are getting a bit uncomfortable with the dried up dirt starting to flake off.." he smiled sheepishly.

"Doesn't matter what you are. It never hurts to have a few tricks up your sleeve," Thomas says with a wink. At the boy's question, he chuckles and gets to his feet, brushing dirt from his own pants and trench coat. "Oh, right. I almost forgot we'd gone through a swamp. I was too excited to eat," he adds as he heads for his own room to change. He nods to the bathroom at the side before closing his door. "There's a bathroom right there you can change in. I'll be out in a few minutes."

Thomas changes quickly into a pair of sweats and a loose T-shirt, and then returns to the living room to flop onto the couch. The next order of business is to make a list of supplies for the dog they'll be getting tomorrow. He grabs his laptop off the counter and opens a document, typing in everything he thinks the new pet will need. If he's going to have a dog in his home, he's going to be prepared.

• Love