Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Agender
  5. Primarily Prefer Male
  6. No Preferences
Genres
Adventure. Angels and demons. Apocalyptic. Arthurian. Comedy. Dystopian. Fantasy. Historical. Horror. Post-apocalyptic. Romance. Science fiction. Supernatural.
Horror is one of my favourite genres. It's versatile and diverse with a lot to offer. I was originally going to make this a spooky movie thread, however, there are a lot of great mediums to experience horror and I'd rather people share all the things. So whatever horror media you enjoy — movies, shows, novels, podcasts, etc. here is the place for you to share. Maybe you'll find a fellow fan or get some appreciation for an obscure favourite?

Oh I love the fatal frame series. Or at least the original trilogy. It's spooky, freaky, and startling. 2 is my favorite because of the story.

Well, I'm not a big fan on most things horror, but Five Nights at Freddy's is really cool- both the books and the games.

The Nightmare before Christmas is a really good movie as well- The music is really catchy and an absolute bop.

The Walten Files is a GREAT analogue horror webseries I enjoy!!! The lore is really interesting, the vibes keep you really immersed, and the fandoms pretty fuckin funny lmao

Oh god how do I even pick favorites.

One of my all-time favorite horror movies is A Tale of Two Sisters, a Korean movie from 2003 directed by Kim Jee-woon (who also directed The Quiet Family, another REALLY good movie). It got a loose remake called The Uninvited in 2009, but the remake really does not hold a candle to the absolute atmospheric genius and beautiful cinematography of the original.

I also love the Silent Hill games (most of them). Silent Hill 2 is still one of the most memorable games I ever played and was very very formative for me. I am never going to forgive Konami for many reasons but cancelling Silent Hills is one of them.

Midnight Mass on Netflix (created by Mike Flanagan, the same guy who did Haunting of Hill House, Bly Manor, and Oculus, among other things) is possibly the best horror television series I've ever seen. (His other work is good too.)

I also, of course, am rabid for Stranger Things.

I love some of Stephen King's IDEAS but his writing style drives me absolutely fucking bonkers so I prefer adaptations of his work. If you haven't seen Castle Rock on Hulu, it's pretty damn good; it's not a straight adaptation of anything but it borrows characters, locations, ideas, and themes from his works.

Oh I love the fatal frame series. Or at least the original trilogy. It's spooky, freaky, and startling. 2 is my favorite because of the story.

Yeeeees, I love Fatal Frame. It's hard to pick between 2 or 3.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, The Magnus Archives. It really exemplifies everything I love about horror. No exploiting trauma, no jumpscares (I mean, it's all audio anyway), the body horror is actually creative and says something about body insecurity and meat consumption instead of just being gross for the sake of it, and there's plenty of existential dread to enjoy.

I also tend to enjoy a lot of horror games, not necessarily because I find them scary, but because the plots are interesting. I love RPG games like Ib, Witch's House, Mad Father, etc., and more mainstream games like Doki Doki Literature Club, the Outlast games, and Five Nights at Freddy's (the latter only because I've kept up with the convoluted-ass plot for so long I have to see it through).

I'm still a beginner when it comes down to dabbling into horror, but I really enjoy 'Stranger Things', enjoyed 'The Haunting of Hill House' series-wise. I also like to listen to 'The Magnus Archives' where possible. Book-wise I generally enjoy short stories because I can run through them in one go like 'Carmilla' by Joseph Le Fanu Sheridan, or the various anthologies of horror classics I have in my library.

I love, love all of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, Final Destinations, Leprechauns, and just about any Horror movie. The Conjuring franchise is also pretty great, as well! 🥰

I have a few horror fandoms, Five Nights at Freddy's is pretty nice, as well as Little Nightmares. I feel like there's one more in the back of my head that I can't seem to remember tho LMAO

I love, love all of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, Final Destinations, Leprechauns, and just about any Horror movie. The Conjuring franchise is also pretty great, as well! 🥰

I've only seen the first NOES movie but my sister and I made fun of it the entire time because the effects are so outdated we couldn't take it seriously. The last scene with the painfully obvious dummy made us howl with laughter, lol. It's a good concept, though, and if they made reboots, I'm sure they'd be much scarier. My mom was quite young when it came out originally and she said it gave her nightmares after she watched it.

The Uninvited in 2009
I actually really like this film, so much that I own it. lol I haven't seen the original, though so I can't make the comparison.

I like horror, but I get no chills or thrills from it. None of it scares me. It's all fake, after all. I suppose, if I had to say, my favorite horror medium is the real stuff, the true crime, and people's personal horror stories from reddit or that they send in to various narrators on YT. LazyMasquerade probably has the widest range of content, from simple story narration to analyzing photos and videos to exploring the deepest, darkest corners of the web.

The Uninvited in 2009
I actually really like this film, so much that I own it. lol I haven't seen the original, though so I can't make the comparison.

I like horror, but I get no chills or thrills from it. None of it scares me. It's all fake, after all. I suppose, if I had to say, my favorite horror medium is the real stuff, the true crime, and people's personal horror stories from reddit or that they send in to various narrators on YT. LazyMasquerade probably has the widest range of content, from simple story narration to analyzing photos and videos to exploring the deepest, darkest corners of the web.
I enjoyed The Uninvited too. It was fun for me especially because I didn't realize it was a remake until I started watching it and the story was immediately familiar. They did change a lot, too, which meant it ended up being a fresh story for me. It's a solid movie--if a little tropey, particularly the part with the former nanny--but the original version is genius so it's not really a fair comparison.

Besides all of the rpgmaker horror games that I'm always talking about, I really liked Haunting Ground, if any of y'all remember that? It was considered the spiritual successor to the Clocktower games and I think it may have come out around the same time as some Fatal Frame games? (If I'm remembering correctly, haha.)

Haunting Ground always disturbed me deeply, with the weird sexualisation of the main character and the frequent chase scenes/hiding, but I always found it addicting to watch people play, I dunno. Daniella's chase section always freaked me out the most. I can still remember her animation when she catches you hiding under a piece of furniture and the audio during the death scenes... OOF.

Because my friend reminded me by bringing it up today: Hereditary.

Can't beat a classic. John Carpenter's The Thing.

Something I've been thinking about lately, and an odd pick in media for this sort of question, music. Everywhere At The End Of Time. It's a series of albums that are a couple hours long, but should be listened to as a whole, though there are cuts and specific tracks online that stand out and can give you the gist.

If you don't know, it's a collection of albums based on the stages of dementia. The senses, emotions, and loss are captured hauntingly. The way tracks skip and loop at times, the way a song in a previous album (that sounded happy) can take on an entirely new meaning when edited differently or with different accompanying sounds or instruments...

Really, I don't think my describing it here does it justice. Perhaps it's because I deal with individuals who have dementia on a daily basis, and have for long enough now to witness such decline, the songs bring a certain sadness and existential horror to my mind. Truly, I think there's nothing more terrifying and sad in this world than slowly, inevitably losing yourself, not just senses, or memories, but your perception of reality. It's very haunting, and while it doesn't illicit the same kind of scare that a lot of the media listed in this thread does, I still think that Everywhere At The End Of Time is a work of art.

I can only hope that in our time, we can find a cure to this real-life horror.

Because my friend reminded me by bringing it up today: Hereditary.

Just watched this the other day. I was perusing the spoopy side of YT and came across The Harrowing Dreams of Yuko Tatsushima, an eighteen minute video courtesy of Blind Dweller about this woman born in Tokyo that went on to graduate from Art school. Blind Dweller mentions Hereditary while he's analyzing one of Yuko's works, says its one of his favorite horror movies, so I pause the video and watch it.

Being in my mid 20's, I can't enjoy the average horror movie anymore, the slow burn style of suspense they typically have is boring imo, why bother waiting forty five minutes for one jump scare, ya know? And its not even scary, all you did was surprise me. But Hereditary? Genuinely creepy and unsettling the entire time, I could liken it to The Shining with Jack Nicholson pretty well, if you've seen that. The entire movie you can't shake this perpetual feeling that something is terribly wrong, or something really bad is going to happen, and there's some scenes that straight up made my body cringe because of how disturbing they are.

Something I've been thinking about lately, and an odd pick in media for this sort of question, music. Everywhere At The End Of Time.

OHHH YES! No, that's definitely appropriate! It's not horror or spooky in the traditional sense of blood, guts and monsters, in fact I would go as far to say it's more terrifying than any horror based media because The Caretakers music is based on the real life experiences of mental illness.

"One of the hardest things you'll ever have to do is grieve the loss of a person who's still alive." fuck that.

Last edited:
I prefer movies and TV shows, as much as I love reading I just can't ge tibto reading horror books all that often. I live Stephen king but do still prefer the movie adaptations of his work. Not the TV adaptions tho, some have been fine but there's in in particular that we're awful(cough the mist and under the dome cough cough)

I find it hard to find a horror or scary movie I like nowadays. Most the new ones are either horribly cringey acting or a bag plot, usually both. I find myself more into suspense horror movies now less so than slasher gore ones. I'm not all that into gore in general. I like the cult classics like Halloween and Jason but none of the newer slashers. I will say I'm sick of them dragging on the Halloween series though, personally I feel like a goos movie doesn't need to be remade a thousand times or stretched out.

s
Horror is one of my favourite genres. It's versatile and diverse with a lot to offer. I was originally going to make this a spooky movie thread, however, there are a lot of great mediums to experience horror and I'd rather people share all the things. So whatever horror media you enjoy — movies, shows, novels, podcasts, etc. here is the place for you to share. Maybe you'll find a fellow fan or get some appreciation for an obscure favourite?
silent hill has always been my favorite, plus being a psychological game and movie, it gave a big tension in the story

Favorite horror movie series is Friday the 13th. I know a lot of people don't like them and think they're "bad," but I have a lot of fun watching them. Including the ones that are bad-bad instead of good-bad. (Except the remake they dared to make in 2009, that one can die.) I hope to someday have a collection of all of Jason's masks. I also adore the video game because you get a better understanding of how his powers work, and I am obsessed with the Savini skin. Aahh and Jason is a masterful artist when it comes to killing, I just-- I love him so much. uwu;

That's just a fraction of my interests, of course. I've consumed manymany things to do with vampires, werewolves, possessions, exorcisms, zombies, all the good things. <3 Horror is my favorite.

I like games too but due to my anxiety (and money issues), I find myself watching Streamers for those. It's great fun to do it that way, though! It's like watching another horror movie, really, and I get to be entertained by the voice of whoever's playing. I got to watch the Amnesia and Outlast games that way, and the Alien:Isolation game! I did however play all the Bioshocks myself, those are beautifully spooky. (Well the first 2 are anyway, I dunno what to say about the one with the bird lady and Booker. XD)

Oh and books of course! <3 Anne Rice vampire books, HP Lovecraft, Stephen King, Dean Koontz~ There are so many other's I've yet to horrify myself with. And I got into Junji Ito's work this year, really loving that.

Bonus recommendation: A comic book titled Harrow County. It's so good, y'all.
1666547235949.png

HELLO I AM ENJOYING THE HORROR MOVIES HERE ARE SOME RECOMMENDATIONS OK.

The new Hellraiser movie is surprisingly not shit. Which is pretty impressive, when you consider basically everything in the franchise after the first two movies (the original remains a classic).

Oh yeah, and Terrifier 2 dropped recently. It's the wildest, silliest, goriest shit I've seen in a while. Can't honestly recommend it to people, unless you're into the wilder side of splatter horror, but it's one of those indie success stories that no mainstream film studio would ever dare touch that is still going to do extremely well for itself. And I'm here for that.

In terms of zombie films, best one I've seen in the last couple years (oh god how was 2016 so long ago) is probably Train To Busan. It doesn't try to reinvent the wheel, doesn't try to do the "oh wow look how different and special our zombies are!" It just sets up a solid, tense premise that it can play for tension and terror, then lets things go from there.

Honestly, the South Koreans are fucking killing it on the zombie front these days. If you want something longer, I'd suggest All Of Us Are Dead. Again, nothing new here. But it knows exactly how to make a zombie story work.

Finally, Martyrs is a movie that has stuck with me for a very fucking long time now. It's deeply, deeply uncomfortable and a real slow burner, but it's probably the best thing to come out of the New French Extreme era of films. Again, not something I'd recommend to everyone. It gets uncomfortable very quickly, and then rapidly proceeds to get worse from there.