What are some things you want to work on with your roleplaying?

Diana

LOOK HOW CALM SHE IS
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
I am out here roleplaying for FUN! FUN FOREVER! But I still like to "work on my craft" and learn how I can be a better writer and storyteller. There are things I am AMAZING AT - like creating interesting and real characters - and then there are things I struggle with. Like a varied vocabulary and sentence structure.

What are some things you struggle with in your roleplaying that you are trying to work on and improve?

So I am trying to write some posts today and I read a few previous posts to get my brain in the zone, and I used "but" like TWENTY TIMES in one post. Diana, how embarrassing. T___T I need more words in my head.

I am out here roleplaying for FUN! FUN FOREVER! But I still like to "work on my craft" and learn how I can be a better writer and storyteller. There are things I am AMAZING AT - like creating interesting and real characters - and then there are things I struggle with. Like a varied vocabulary and sentence structure.

What are some things you struggle with in your roleplaying that you are trying to work on and improve?

So I am trying to write some posts today and I read a few previous posts to get my brain in the zone, and I used "but" like TWENTY TIMES in one post. Diana, how embarrassing. T___T I need more words in my head.
Here is a couple of pictures to help you with your writing!
uPqjv6.png

uPqlOp.png

uPqncQ.png

I took screenshots of my Composition for the Artist course and so I hope they help you!

The biggest thing I want to work on with my own roleplaying is showing not telling. I'd like to have sensory details that bring you into the roleplay as if you were there. I want to make sure my posts matter and that it isn't a bunch of fluff that doesn't progress the story.

The two things I want to improve in regard to the actual content of my posts are things that I used to be good at but have gotten worse at over the years for one reason or another. Those being that I would like to diversify my vocabulary and get better at descriptions/atmospheric "mood". I don't think I'm terrible at either of those, to be honest, but I do think I could be a lot better. To achieve this, I am getting back into reading books. This was something I wanted to do anyway, so that checks out nicely.

Another thing I am working on is that I want to get better at accepting that my posts don't need to be perfect – at that perfection itself is not real in regard to creative writing and therefore an unattainable goal.

Reactions: Astoria
I'm also struggling with "perfectionism" and overthinking every little aspect of my writing and role-plays. It wasn't always this bad; at some point I managed to kick the habit, but it's flaring up again. It's funny because I write/perform better when I give zero fucks about what people think. 😂 As they say, it's all about confidence. I just need to get out of my head, but that feels impossible to do sometimes.

Regarding the technical aspects, I need improvement on my vocabulary, word choice (especially verbs & word weight), specificity... etc., etc. Honestly, I just need to read more books and write a lot more than I currently do.

I have one technical aspect I really want to work on, writing-wise and that's by tightening up my lines. I have a tendency to leave a lot to the assumption, or start somewhere in the middle without giving a background, because it makes sense in my head! I want to be more mindful about that aspect in my writing and as such tighten up the story.

For roleplaying in general that would be maintaining a steady rhythm in my posts, but also to stop with the uncertainties, which ties up with the point above. Stop the eternal 'but', 'however', 'though', etc... Hella annoying!!! D:<

I always struggled somewhat with writing settings. I'm a very impatient writer, so taking the time to describe a scene in the beautiful way that I would like to inevitably gets rushed by my own desire to just be done with section. My vocabulary in that regard needs expansion as well.

Yeah, I can kind of relate to that feeling where it feels like my old posts from years ago are better than what I can write now. Overall though, I think I'm generally happy with what I can write.

What I'm not so happy with is summoning up the motivation to post when I want to, with the quality I want it to be.

...Is that a contradiction?

I think that I'd really love to extend my vocabulary and descriptions, even make the story flow better, I guess. I don't want to be Webster's Dictionary but I don't want to keep using the exact same words in every sentence or paragraph.

That's really it. 🥴 I am almost sure that there's more but that's all I can think of right now.

I'd like to get better and more comfortable with smut eventually. And finding ways to lengthen my posts without just reacting to what was said in the previous post. I'm just not used to adding alot of my characters own thoughts in the post as I went through some rp partners that didn't like that and were very rude about it so it lead me to having a bit of mental block around rping the way I used to

• Love
Reactions: iridescent
Knowing when to stop describing a scene so detailed it takes up more than half of the post!

I feel like I'm writing a scientific journal every time that I write. Most of my writing comes across as very stilted and robotic as a result. I think it's because of my history of writing scientific journals and research papers. Whatever it is, though, I want it to go away yesterday. I'd like to become better at writing more detailed and longer descriptions.

• Ah Seen It
Reactions: Slaynoir