RiverNotch

any pronouns
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Look for groups
The blurb for this particular comp really can't be beat:​
It wasn't really a movement, barely even a moment, but the Daisy Age was an ethos that briefly permeated pop, R&B and hip hop. The name was coined by Long Island trio De La Soul; they claimed D.A.I.S.Y. stood for "da inner sound, y'all", but then De La Soul said a lot of things. Playfulness and good humour were central to their 1989 debut album, which cast a long, multi-coloured shadow. The 90s, it promised, would be a lot easier going than the 80s.​
The comp itself isn't readily available on Spotify, so those of us who'd like to listen to it have to make a playlist that, unfortunately, misses the final track, Groove Garden's "You're Not Coming Home". My version, I'll link at the very bottom.

As someone who was born at the tail end of the 90s, I obviously didn't have the same experience of the decade as either the compilers (one of my all-time favourite bands, Saint Etienne) or any of the artists they featured, but neither could I have had my childhood colored by these tracks, not least since my parents rarely seemed to listen to specialty radio. That said, even before this compilation popped up, many of these artists were already well within my radar, and not just for the work they'd done in the now-somewhat-distant past. A Tribe Called Quest's last album, for instance -- 2016's We Got It From Here... Thank U 4 Ur Service -- will always be something of a landmark for me. It hadn't yet hit me, on first listening to that album, how it couldn't be anything but ATCQ's swansong, what with Phife Dawg having been taken by diabetes earlier that year; instead, I took the album for what it initially presented itself to be, which was a projected response to Hilary Clinton's incoming presidential win....

Yeah, if I'm not gonna earn the ire of our owlmom in trying to accomplish the whole 30 topics in 30 days challenge, I can't further elaborate, but suffice it to say that the 2019 compilation I here present is all celebration, as opposed to the older album's potent mix of celebration and dirge. Not that any of the tracks featured are particularly stupid, although a banger like the Fu-Schnicken's "What's Up Doc? (Can We Rock)" is undoubtedly and irresistibly stoopid: Digable Planet's "Where I'm From", for example, namedrops Marx in its second verse. I guess what I'm getting at here is how much this non-movement captured both my intelligence and my imagination, as a twenty-something listener in the twenty-first century who sometimes struggles to see things both positively and realistically. But what do you think? Do you enjoy some De La Soul and Jungle Brothers too? Or, at least, do you wonder where MC Hawking got half of his musical ideas?

A link to where you might get a physical copy of the comp: The Daisy Age

The playlist: